PDA

View Full Version : Gender Identity added to Employee Handbook

Lisa X
09-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I own a small business in California and we have just had our labor attorney update our employee handbook. Gender identity was added to the equal employement opportunity policy as well as policy against harassment as standard policies by the attorney (not from my input). I thought that was pretty cool. Here is a portion of the policy:

The company strictly prohibits all forms of unlawful harassment, which includes harassment on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, GENDER IDENTITY, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, .....

Lisa

Sharon
09-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, it's about time. Congratulations!

docrobbysherry
09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
as a SoCal-ite, what does that really mean? Could a CD go to work dressed, and no matter how rediculous he looked, no one can say anything?:eek:

Angie G
09-18-2008, 10:43 AM
That's good news, but does this mean you can't fire yourself.:hugs:
Angie

Kate Lynn
09-18-2008, 10:45 AM
I own a small business in California and we have just had our labor attorney update our employee handbook. Gender identity was added to the equal employement opportunity policy as well as policy against harassment as standard policies by the attorney (not from my input). I thought that was pretty cool. Here is a portion of the policy:

The company strictly prohibits all forms of unlawful harassment, which includes harassment on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, GENDER IDENTITY, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, .....

Lisa

I wish our government would adopt that policy for it's agencies,especially the veterans administration.

KandisTX
09-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Bravo Lisa (and Lisa's lawyer)!

No, it doesn't mean that a CD could go to work looking ridiculous because:
a) No CD would want to, and
b) There is the company's image to think of, so Lisa can insist on a clean skirt and no holes in the stockings.

a) You might not have seen any of the CDs that dress for shock value only.

b) They would have to adhere to the company dress code regardless of dressing in drab or drag.

But seriously, it's only the really committed ones who are going to dare try, like the black people who first challenged the segregated buses, and remember the rules of good behaviour they imposed on themselves?

Now, Lisa, are you going to be the first to demonstrate it ? Good luck!

Katie B

Define committed for me please. Is someone who dresses only on weekends not committed? Is someone who dresses up for an hour a week because that's the extent of time allowed because their SO does not know not committed? Personally, I would love the opportunity to come to work dressed en femme once in a while and not have anyone say anything about my outfits besides complimenting me. It would give me a reason to wear those great business suits I have purchased over the years for Kandis. While I do not live 24/7 as a woman, I sure enjoy dressing like one when I get the opportunity to do so, and this would be the grandest opportunity of them all. ;)

Kandis:love::rose2:

Eileen
09-18-2008, 11:20 AM
That is wonderful Lisa! Now if only more comanies and States will follow!

Eileen

Niya W
09-18-2008, 11:24 AM

Lisa Well the klaw has been there for two years, but now employers are taking notice. I'm in the bay and now when ever I hear radio ads for clear Chanel communications and they say were are a EEOC employer , they do and transgendered to the list .

Dita_B
09-18-2008, 11:38 AM
b) They would have to adhere to the company dress code regardless of dressing in drab or drag.

Kandis:love::rose2:

I second the remark quoted above.

I have applied for two jobs as a female sales associate in several ladies fashion stores in town and was rejected on the argument of dress code... An "extreme" dress code, as they called it, it being prohibited for a girl to appear in male clothing and vice versa.

In both cases it were both the store manager and assistant managers that wanted me on their staff and thought it would be a good idea, especially in regards to the young generation of female clients, but it was the regional management that rejected it.
(Although they never met me in person).

Another argument was that they feared it could upset the older generation of clients, who may not appreciate being assisted by a Transgendered female.

:love:Dita.

Sara Jessica
09-18-2008, 07:27 PM
That's awesome Lisa, especially that you put GENDER IDENTITY in all caps in your employee handbook. Now THAT'S emphasis!!!

But seriously, most companies who profess to have such protections can still terminate someone for pretty much any reason they feel like using. That is why the stories of those who choose to transition are often littered with job loss and financial ruin. Still, I hope steps such as what Lisa was willing to take will help us in the long run.

BTW, can I have a job??? ;)

Christinedreamer
09-18-2008, 07:49 PM
The MCC church I attend in SoCal has a great member in our ranks. He works for Verizon as a traveling training instructor and frequently hobnobs with the corporate big boys.

Verizon has a full time commissionof several people in HR dealing with sexual ID , gender ID etc issues. In addition, they actually contribute heavily to our church by paying our member for his services to the church. Lots of companies do that now.

It is nice to know that some companies actually understand that we are not all cookie cutter personalities and we can perform our duties even though in the eyes of SOME in society we are avoided like the plague.

Maybe there is hope yet.

Christine

Carin
09-18-2008, 11:52 PM
as a SoCal-ite, what does that really mean? Could a CD go to work dressed, and no matter how ridiculous he looked, no one can say anything?:eek:

There is a project group TAW (Transgender At Work) and website specifically devoted to this issue. See the page that covers Crossdressing at Work (http://www.tgender.net/taw/tggl/bg.html)