PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advise.

renee k
09-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi all,

Here's some background on the advise I'm seeking. I recently had hip replacement surgery, three weeks ago. And I'm recoverying, the physical therapy is going great. I see my doctor next week for the one month post-op checkup. And of course my dressing has come to a stand still for the time being. I hope to be back out there in October, and back to work in November.

My question is have any of you had hip replacement surgery and is giving up wearing heels part of the process? GG's, those of you that have medical backgrounds and anyone that has been though this. Please feel free to reply.

Thanks, Renee

Jodi
09-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Renee, Good luck on the rehab. A hip replacement differs from a hip repair. With a hip replacement, one is able to bear weight almost immediately. The limitation is that one must not do full range of motion of the hip joint for about 6 weeks or until cleared to do so by the doc. The hip repair is the opposite. No weight bearing, but full range of motion.

As a retired therapist, I have never been asked the question by women about wearing heels. I have seen former patients in heels, not extreme heels, but the 2" variety. Never heard any complaints.

I would think that you should be able to wear thicker heels, maybe up to 3" comfortably. If you are unable to ask the doc, give it a try.

Jodi

Nicki B
09-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Not had a hip replacement, but I had a bad hip (top of femur) fracture (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1399066#post1399066) at the end of last year.. My recovery was certainly much slower than for a replacement, but I was back on one inch heels after two months (I was still walking with a stick then).

I'm regularly dancing in 4" heels again, now (but I'm not allowed to run, because of the screws up into the joint)? :)

sterling12
09-20-2008, 01:06 AM
Hi Renee:

I think Jodi will back me up on this. I'm not a Therapist nor did I ever work that much in Orthopedics, but there is an old axiom that was often told to patients which might apply.

First off, a Question? Could you walk in heels before The Surgery? I was taught that besides relieving the pain, hip replacement will typically restore 100% of the mobility you had in that period just BEFORE you had the Surgery. People who wait too long to do the needed operation, often have muscle atrophy and other gait complications that were precipitated by trying to compensate for the bad hip. They lose much of their mobility and it's damn difficult or sometimes impossible to get it back. That's why they usually advise once the Diagnosis is made, to "get it done ASAP."

Since you asked about it, I will assume that you were walking on heels before your operation. If so, it is very reasonable to assume that you will have a good outcome and will be able to walk in your heels. With luck, you just won't have any more pain.

Of course Jodi is right, any question about this, you should consult with your Doctor. He/She is a Professional, they will not freak out about it.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Jess_cd32
09-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Can't help on your question, but just wanted to wish you a get well soon.

insearchofme
09-20-2008, 06:21 AM
Ok, I've had two replacements. No effect on wearing heels of any height at all. The only change you'll have to make, depending on the type of hip you received, no crossing the legs as you do in your avatar.

If you want any more info about recovery and what to expect just PM me.

Hugs,

Ze xx
09-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Once your hip is healed then you can pretty much do what you did in the past. Walking in heels is a muscular thing, not a skeletal one so initially you might find it uncomfortable and you may have to break yourself in to wearing heels again. But take it easy for the first few weeks while the prosthetic beds down.

Mollyanne
09-20-2008, 06:35 AM
Hi there, I had my left hip replaced last year, after 6 weeks I was back to work!!!!:2c: And the answer to your question is -----
YES YES YES you can go back to wearing your heels,:) but a word of caution here; try low heels first then get them higher ones and go dancin'!!!!!!!:D e-mail me GF if you need more!!!!!

:love: Mollyanne

Laurie A
09-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Hi, i had one hip replaced about two years ago, i think you will know soon enough what you are capable of, but my guess is that you will we able to wear and do anything you wish. be patient about your recovery, and listen to the doc and pt. my experience has been excellent post op, no restrictions, no pain, it completely turned my life around for the best! best of luck to you!

Annie D
09-20-2008, 08:04 AM
I had anterior hip replacement May 27th of this year. It is a procedure where the quadraceps muscles are not removed from the femur. I am very happy that I chose this type rather than the lateral or posterior procedures. I agree with the previous posts that say waiting too long for the replacement causes the muscles to atrophy (I waited about 7 years too long) and that you will be able to wear any type of footwear that you could wear before surgery.

With my type of surgery, I walked the same day of my surgery, was released from the hospital on the 28th and was driving my car on June 1st. On June the 8th, with the help of a walking cane I ran a volleyball camp and by the end of that week was able to walk without any assistance. At no time during my post surgery period have I been in physical therapy. Two weeks ago I was able to jog 1 1/2 miles on a track with minimal walking. I had to walk because I am fat and out of shape, not because of my hip.

Although I occasionally wear heels around the house, I do not wear them when out. I am 6'2" and do not consider myself to be a "passing crossdresser" so I usually opt for flats or sandals.

Don't hesitate to wear any type of footwear, good luck with your rehab and please, please don't wait too long to return to wearing what you want.

Annie

renee k
09-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for all the responces! I did a couple of things prior to the surgery that have helped with the recovery. One was to due lots excercises involving the leg muscles and two, biking as much as I could. Which strengthened my leg muscles. I did get two opinions prior to deciding on the surgery. I was going to wait till after the holidays to have it done. But on the secound doctors recommendation. I had it done much earlier. Which now seems to have been the best course to take. The pain was getting too the point that the steroid shots weren't helping. But I do feel 100% better now than I did prior to the surgery.

Thanks, Renee

Laurie A
09-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I had anterior hip replacement May 27th of this year. It is a procedure where the quadraceps muscles are not removed from the femur. I am very happy that I chose this type rather than the lateral or posterior procedures. I agree with the previous posts that say waiting too long for the replacement causes the muscles to atrophy (I waited about 7 years too long) and that you will be able to wear any type of footwear that you could wear before surgery.

With my type of surgery, I walked the same day of my surgery, was released from the hospital on the 28th and was driving my car on June 1st. On June the 8th, with the help of a walking cane I ran a volleyball camp and by the end of that week was able to walk without any assistance. At no time during my post surgery period have I been in physical therapy. Two weeks ago I was able to jog 1 1/2 miles on a track with minimal walking. I had to walk because I am fat and out of shape, not because of my hip.

Although I occasionally wear heels around the house, I do not wear them when out. I am 6'2" and do not consider myself to be a "passing crossdresser" so I usually opt for flats or sandals.

Don't hesitate to wear any type of footwear, good luck with your rehab and please, please don't wait too long to return to wearing what you want.

Annie

Annie,
i too had the anterior approach and i am very pleased with the results. i am curious about your running. my doc said no running, and as a former runner i do miss it. i have been tempted to try a little running to see how it responds, otherwise my aerobic exercise consists primarily from riding a bike.
dela