PDA

View Full Version : In moms own image?

Hinata
09-20-2008, 11:30 PM
I know we all heard it before, that we take after so and so. But can we say that we take after our moms in such a way that we become the woman that our moms are not? Or already are?

My Question is this, do you have the quirks that your mom has i.e crossing her legs a certain way or holding her hands in a frustrated way?

I've lived with my mum for many a year, and have found that I've picked up some of her habitual manerisoms, and I kinda am uncomfortable with that. Don't get me wrong I love my mother :love: I just find it a bit strange. Is this something that you have experienced?

Just a thought.

Hinata

_Cecilie_
09-21-2008, 07:06 AM
I do sometimes, both from mom (espcially while cd'ing) and dad for that matter while not cd'ing. They raised me and it's natural to look at them for guidance in ways to do things. However I try to reevaluate many things to find my own way. But change is hard :)

Angie G
09-21-2008, 07:39 AM
I don't think I have. But my wife tells me I look like her. :hugs:
Angie

darla_g
09-21-2008, 07:44 AM
i don't think so and that's not the role model i was going for.

Anna the Dub
09-21-2008, 07:59 AM
I have mannerisms that I have picked up from both of my parents. Some of it is probably genetic and the rest learned behaviour whilst growing up. When I go the whole hog getting done up, I have to say that I do look a lot like my Mother, and a little bit like my sister too. Do I take after my Mother in personality though? Not in a million years. She is a cold, hard, unforgiving person, whereas I am so not. So, I may look like her, but that's all.

TxKimberly
09-21-2008, 09:00 AM
I know there are more than a few scholars (anthropologist?) here and suspect someone could put this in all of the proper terminology, but what it all boils down to is that human beings are hardwired to learn based on what we see and observe of others around us. First, we learn by the example of our parents, then later, the example of others in our society. It's not in the least but surprising that you would have picked up many traits from your mother.

Toni_Lynn
09-21-2008, 09:19 AM
:eek: This is a scary thought to wake up to!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Karren H
09-21-2008, 09:29 AM
I also look a lot like my mom but I have none of her habits....

TxKimberly
09-21-2008, 09:38 AM
I also look a lot like my mom but I have none of her habits....

NONE Karen? Are you SURE? :-)

Carissa B.
09-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Yes i believe that some things come with learned behavior, & some traits come from your DNA. We change what we can or want to, and live with the rest. Try to enjoy !
Carissa

Ze xx
09-21-2008, 09:41 AM
As a member of the human race, we tend to mimic what others in our group are doing. Most of us will have mannerisms, turns of phrases and basic opinions that follow that of our family and peers. It's not really a gender specific thing, although in general boys try to emulate their dads and girls their mums. I don't know, but perhaps boys are encouraged to be more like dad, to make sure he's becoming a 'man', and this might not even be a consious thing, just what happens.

Kate Simmons
09-21-2008, 10:18 AM
ZE xx is correct. When we are young we are natural mimics and intently watch what Mom and Dad both do. This is how we learn what the "roles" are, although it is not a hard an fast rule as everyone is different. When we are in one mode or the other, we tend to mimic that particular mode. We can control things according to circumstances and if we relax the "conditioning" we can naturally ease into the flow of the feelings. It depends on the individual person, however, as to how comfortable they are doing this.:)

Always Susan
09-27-2008, 06:06 AM
When I'm wearing make-up I look just like my mom,so when I'm in boy mode and someone sez I look alot like my mom I take it as a complement. My mom was a beautiful and loving lady!:)

TommiTN
09-27-2008, 07:58 AM
It is said the first born receives the physical and basic mental/emotional traits of the mother's side of the family. I don't know if this is true in every instance but in my case it is true. When I'm made up and dressed I strongly resemble my mother when she was younger. I also bear a strong resemblance to her brother when I'm in male mode. My sister, on the other hand, looks more like a younger version of my paternal grandmother. As far as my basic outlook goes, I'd have to say I'm more like Mom than Dad. This probably has more to do with nurture rather than nature since my Dad was mostly absent during my formative years and was not closely involved with me when he was home. Mannerisms: I never really considered them but I probably do have some of Mom's mannerisms, although they are masculinized (is that a word?) versions. When I'm in my female mode they are more feminine mainly because I concentrate on making them so.

deja true
09-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Sadly, I've only come to realize what a great person and strong woman my mom was since she passed away. I always loved her, of course, but you know how it was with all that young person rebellion thing... Indeed, it's been only since her death a few years ago that I've really started to come to terms with myself, and get beyond that "but-you-gotta-be-a-man" thing. She showed me that being a moral and useful human being in all our endeavors was a lot more important than blindly adhering to what our neighbors and acquaintances and so-called 'moral leaders' told us we should do. She wasn't a congenital rule-breaker or anything, but she was a strong enough person to make her own way (and bring me up as a good person) in the face of the societal pressures she faced. Thanks mom!

I don't look anything like my mom when I'm deja..Too bad!.. What's his name looks like that guy who fathered me..but thank the godess, it's easy to lose that visage when deja comes to me.

Ze xx
09-27-2008, 08:17 AM
It is said the first born receives the physical and basic mental/emotional traits of the mother's side of the family.

Oh I so hope that's not true, my brother is older than me, and my mum was lovely :heehee:

Zenith
09-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Well that explains a lot...I'm first born...

After I took the "Death" pics I was just stunned...look exactly like my mother in those...really weird and more than a little bit messing with my mind...
:eek:

Paula G
09-28-2008, 06:35 AM
I don't look like my mother physically, but I am more like her emotionally and mentally. I can't see any of her mannerisms in me but I'm sure others can.

Lilith Moon
09-28-2008, 07:00 AM
I was adopted at the age of 6 weeks. At the age of around 50 I decided to trace my biological mother, unfortunately she had died just a year before I discovered her identity. I did find a number of sisters and a brother and so we arranged a meeting.

It was spooky ! To see people who looked a bit like me was a revelation after being raised as an only child. I have one sister who actually looks like my twin. Even more spooky was my physical resemblance to a mother I had never met since the age of 6 weeks. Many family photos had been lost in a flooding accident but the few remaining ones show that I was the one who looked most like our mother. My taste in femme clothing was much like hers as well.

Then there was the video of one of my sisters weddings. The few seconds in this video is the only way I will ever know what she looked like as a living person. My gestures, body language and walk are all very similar to hers.

Sally24
09-28-2008, 09:06 AM
We do eventually become our parents, at least a little. I see my sister in the mirror frequently and it's a little unsettling sometimes! Just one more "fun" thing to deal with in this life.

Hinata
10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Family is the one thing I would never change. Thanks for the response. It has helpd me understand my selfimage a little better.