PDA

View Full Version : After the Storm

Glenda
09-27-2008, 07:50 AM
I last visited this site on Sept 13th. I lost power early that morning as Hurricane Ike was slowly making it's way through the Houston area. My power was restored 14 days later on Sept 26th and I'm finally able to run the AC, turn on the lights, watch television and visit Crossdressers.com. As is the case in many big cities, I have neighbors that I'm friendly with but we don't really spend time talking and visiting. Add the fact that I am a crossdresser that is out of the closet. For some reason, I haven't had a lot of neighbors knocking on my door asking me for a cup of sugar. A couple of neighbors do drop by on occasion when they need something, but to most I am a mild curiousity as best.

After the storm passed, everyone was outside surveying the damage to the neighborhood. No one had power and none of us knew what to expect in the way of help from the city, state or federal officials. Everyone had sustained some form of damage from fallen trees or other wind damage. Yards were littered, some streets were impassable, power lines were down, fallen trees had smashed cars and some houses.

Most of my neighbors went back into their houses to wait for the city to start sending crews out to clean up the neighborhood and make necessary repairs. I went ahead and cleaned the major debris out of my yard and helped a neighbor clean her bedroom and bathroom that had been drenched by the rain when a large tree destroyed her roof. After that I took a shower and went to my favorite Ice House (beer joint) which was the only business open within several miles.

The next day, most of the others in my neighborhood decided to start cleaning up the mess themselves rather than wait for it to be done for them. I went out and started helping them as well. Suddenly this strange guy who likes to dress as a woman was meeting neighbors he had seen but never talked to. There are a lot of men who grew up in cities and never learned how to use tools and chain saws. I grew up on a farm. It was obvious that they wanted to clear the trees and branches but were uncomfortable doing so. I offered to operate the chain saw and organized the others to assist in clearing the branches. Suddenly we had an efficient system where the clean-up was progressing very rapidly. Spirits lifted and everyone was joking and laughing as one neighbor after another had their property and our street cleared. While I was helping my neighbors, someone (I don't know who) raked and swept the leaves from my yard and driveway.

The next day (Monday) was not a workday for most of us in Houston. Very few stores or businesses were open. When I woke up, I decided it would be a Glenda day since we had done everything we could to restore some order to the neighborhood. I had a good novel and was just going to read and clean house a little. Throughout the day, about a half dozen neighbors dropped by to offer me lunch or to thank me for my help the day before. Of course, I opened the door as Glenda. It wasn't a real shock for them because they have seen me coming and going for so long, but it was definitely a little different confronting them all as Glenda. Not a single person made any comment about my wig, make-up or how I was dressed. They all treated the situation as if they were having a normal conversation with a neighbor or friend. I was very pleased.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you contribute to your community, you are likely to be accepted for who you are. It seems to be working for me.

Di
09-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Wonderful post hon.....:hugs:
And glad you made it through the storm ok:hugs:

Ze xx
09-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Firstly, I am very pleased that your community have found it in them to be accepting of you.

It's one of those things that I have seen with acceptance of 'different' people. My brother, for example, is an A#1 biggotted A-hole, (we're very close :brolleyes: not :hmph: ) He would always say anything he could that would make him sound racist, using the most insult terms possible. However those of a different race that he worked with were ok :brolleyes: Somehow by dint of him knowing them made them acceptable.

I'm not suggesting that your neighbours are like my brother (or at least I hope not :heehee: ) but that once you get to know someone who is 'different' a bit better, you find out that they are not so different afterall.

And if you're wondering if my brother has ever changed, dunno, I don't see that much of him. :strugglin

I hope you continue to get to know your neighbours

Love Ze xx

PamelaTX
09-27-2008, 08:11 AM
That was a great story, Genda. Thanks for sharing.

deja true
09-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Gosh, Glenda, that made me cry.

Good sense and the willingness to help don't leave us just because we're seen as "unconventional".

You've just shown a whole lotta folks that there's more to a person's heart than just their outward appearance.

Thanks!

Even rule breakers can follow the golden rule!

(Oh! my chainsaw is my favorite toy, too...:D)

Amy Lynn3
09-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Glenda, that was a great story and the best part was the ending. I have neighbors who bring me food all the time, because, like you I went out of my way to help them first.

GOOD on you girl !!!!

Jocelyn Renee
09-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Glenda, thank you for sharing such a marvelous story. It's a perfect illustration of how life is supposed to work; indeed how life used to work when we had a sense of community and we actually knew and conversed with our neighbors. I have always believed that the overwhelming majority of people are capable of accepting us - they just have to get to know us.

Non-acceptance comes from fear and fear comes from lack of knowledge. It's just the way humans are wired. Once we get to know someone and realize they are largely like us, the fear of the areas where they differ goes away.

Glad to hear you came from the storm (mostly) unscathed. Looks like the storm had a silver lining after all.

Angie G
09-27-2008, 09:40 AM
That great you have real freedom at lest in you neighborhood. To bad it takes something like a Hurricane for people to find out you not a bad person.:hugs:
Angie

Kimberely416
09-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Remarkable story, Glenda. Thanks for sharing. I saw the pictures on the television news. Your story kind of put a personel touch on this disaster. "When the going gets tough, the tough get going!" You showed great leadership. Maybe you should run for Vice President!!LOL:thumbsup:

Raychel
09-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Great story Glenda. It is wonderful that your neighbors can accept you for the great person thatyou are, no matter how you are dressed. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

KandisTX
09-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Glenda,

Your story is pretty much the same as mine, I got my power back on Thursday though. What part of Houston are you in? I'm in Humble myself wouldn't it be funny if we have both been going to the Same Ice House for years and not known each other :)

Kandis:love::rose2:

Wendy me
09-27-2008, 01:22 PM
wicked cool welcome back ................. i loved your story..... who wants to mess with a cross dresser with a chain saw????......... good job hope they remember long after the storm is passed,................

christid66
09-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Glenda,
I can't add any more to what's already been said.

I'm so happy that they accept you as you - you deserve it

Patty
09-27-2008, 01:44 PM
I am glad that you are ok.
So glad the neighbors got to know you (it would so nice if most were like that).

DeeAnne69
09-27-2008, 02:09 PM
U go girl!!!!!!!!!1

Victoria Pink
09-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Yea Glenda! You did the right thing to help your neighbors and to lead by example. We can't just sit and wait for others to do our work. Isn't it amazing how people reach conclusions about us because of our clothes? We are th same people, no matter how we dress, but others change who we are by their own ideals.

Hugs!
Victoria

Shelly Preston
09-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi Glenda

I am glad you managed to get it al cleaned up working as a team
It's great the neighbours are more friendly and treat you the way we would all love to be treated :)

TxKimberly
09-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Glenda,

What an awsome post for so many reasons! I too grew up out in the sticks, and running a chain saw, jack hammer, and other tools were skills we learned young.

You have just put a human face on cross dressers for every person you worked with. Now you are not just "That cross dresser", you are Glenda, "the person that helped clean the tree out of my yard."

In my opinion, one big difference between past generations, and a lot of people in the US today, is the willingness to solve our own problems. A couple of decades ago, the whole concept of sitting on your butt waiting for someone else to come solve your problems would have been foreign and possibly even offensive. I'm proud of you not just as a cross dresser, but as an American - way to go lady!

PS - I'm just a few hours north of ya, if you need anything give me a holler!

Jilmac
09-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Glenda, I know what stoem cleanup is like. I'm retired from a power utility and have seen my share of tornado, sleet, ice, wind and snow damage. I have had to guard downed power lines, rebuild damaged substations, clean up fallen trees and brush, pump flooded basements, pass out dry ice so customers perishables would stay cold, and try to be pleasant and calm with irate customers.

I'm glad to see that you are back up and running, and that your nieghbors appreciate all the help they got from Glenda. Any storm can be devastating and here in the midwest we get more than our share of tornados. People working together and helping each other can usually get things back to normal before most government agencies. :2c:

debbeelee1
09-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Some bad stuff down there Glenda! The SO and I are truck drivers and we took a load of supplies from Atlanta to Houston last week as part of the relief effort. Not much, but every little bit helps!

Veronica 1
09-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Here in the foothills of Alberta, the chance of a hurricane is very slight, but we have had storms with wind speeds of 130 this summer. As one person told me, I know the wind was over 120 because that is how fast I was driving and the weeds were passing me. Did lots of damage but not as much as a hurricane would as we don't have the heavy, moist air. They must really suck.

Sure glad you came out OK and that the neighbors accept you. You never know, there might be a lot of curious women out there that would be happy to chat and exchange tips.

trannie T
09-27-2008, 06:24 PM
What a great story! It is an ill wind that blows no good. Now that you are becomming accepted by your neighbors you may have a future as an Avon lady.

CD Susan
09-28-2008, 03:50 AM
What a great story Glenda. I agree with what everyone else has said. You have done something that helps us look favorably in the eyes of society and I thank you for that.

Glenda
09-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Thank you everyone for your gracious responses to my post. I have always found Houston to be very tolerant and accepting of my lifestyle. Although I had not previously met most of my neighbors since moving to my current residence in The Heights two years ago, I have been out to family and friends for a long time. Everyone knows I am a crossdresser. I live in a small town in the middle of a big city that is filled with every kind of person from every background imaginable and have found everyone very accepting of me.

It felt so good to have our community pull together to help each other after the storm. It wasn't just my neighborhood. There are thousand of similar stories all over the Houston and Gulf Coast area. Mine just included the crossdresser angle. In this day and age, people pretty much keep to themselves. They get up in the morning, get in the car, automatically raise the garage door and drive to work. In the evening they come home, drive straight into the garage, close the door and go into their house. Most of my neighbors have a yard service attend to their lawns so they don't really do much outside unless it is in their own back yard. Socializing is something we do at work, school, church, clubs or other activities. It is comforting to know that when we need to rely on each other that we can.