PDA

View Full Version : Perfecting the craft

Kate Simmons
09-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Not everyone can do what we do and it's sometimes seen as a blessing or curse, depending on our situation. I spent a large part of my life fighting these feelings but there is a lot about it that is appealing even though it can be a nagging insistment at times that demands attention. It is a conundrum not easily understood but I've learned to make the best of it and just figure if I'm going to do it, I may as well give it my best efforts.

I've come a long way from the early days of making my own makeup (from talcum powder and vasoline with color) and sometimes overdoing it, to buying books by JoAnn Roberts and Kalina Isato, which I took under advisement and came up with my own style anyway. Books are okay but when it comes to a real look, it really comes down to what works best for us. The real trick is to look as natural as possible with less and once I put on the beard cover, I found I really don't need as much foundation as I used to and a lot of it depends on what we do and do not highlight and is all part of the illusion factor, which is what makeup is about to begin with. I also realized I don't need to look like Cindy Crawford to feel good and the look is adequate for what I'm trying to accomplish, which is simply to look nice in my portrayal and have a good time.

The other thing is the outfit. By "outfit" I'm talking about the whole look, which includes makeup, clothing, wig style and color, etc. If you ever notice models in catalogs, they model the outfits that complement their looks and that is what usually helps to sell that particular product. I have a lot of different wigs, so can get away with a lot of looks and have a plethora of combinations available and it can be fun to experiment in that respect.

Even with all of the above, however, appearance is only a small part of it and we can look like a gorgeous bombshell but if we just sit there like a bump on a log looking beautiful, nothing much is accomplished other than self satisfaction. We need to "walk the walk" and "talk the talk" by interacting with others. This is not always as hard as it may seem and completes the illusion as women are naturally outgoing and friendly. We sometime worry too much about talking, walking and gestures but if we are just ourselves, everything naturally follows through. A phoney created character can be spotted a mile away but a genuinely caring person is usually accepted for being who they are.

As I said, a lot depends on what we are really trying to accomplish by dressing up and going out. It has done wonders for me as far as becoming an interactive person as it gives me a bit more latitude to freely express myself and my feelings. As Rich, I used to be a real "stick in the mud" who didn't like to associate with others as I had no self confidence. Now, try to keep me away and I love people and learning about them and have new tolerance and confidence levels I never dreamed possible. We get back from it what we put into it in any event.

All in all I've become a better person by doing this but a lot depends on the effort we are willing to put into it and really getting to know ourselves. My life as Rich has improved as well and I've learned that being macho has nothing to do with being a man as I was more or less taught growing up. It really has to do with being a human being that cares about others. While "society" tends to look down on such a thing, "society" doesn't know everything and how we utilize this particular talent depends a lot on us and our outlook. Enjoy it and treasure it my friends because we are who we are for a reason.:)

tamarav
09-29-2008, 08:51 AM
As usual, you are so right!

We can talk about it forever and get zero feedback and impact, but once we get out and interact with others the ball really starts to roll. People will respond to you in a very positive light when they see how you have dropped the victim status from your behavior and practice what you speak.

As Tami I have absolutely no problem interacting with virtually anybody, simply because it is a direct extension of my feminine attitude. Many people that I deal with have been delighted to find that I do not drop my head, turn and run when they approach, I smile, look them in the eye and look forward to our discussion. Many people have told me later that they had changed their opinion of CDs simply becasue I was so open to them.

Thank you for this thoughtful post.

Your sis,

Tami

Kate Simmons
09-30-2008, 03:30 AM
As you say Tami being approachable makes a big difference. In my development as a person, I have gone from being someone who thought I was entitled to respect for who I was when I first came out and who was a bit cynical towards "outsiders"(Victoria) to someone who was an "in your face" type who challenged everything(Ericka) to a people person who is genuinely concerned about others(Arianna). I guess you might say I've grown up fast and done quite a bit of maturing in the 7 years I've been "out" as my femme self. It's not so much what we look like as it is who we as a person and that is reflected with our interaction with others. The real proof is in the pudding as they say and that is the key to being a real person regardless of appearance. It's within all of us really, we just have to learn how to relax and be ourselves and let it flow.:)