PDA

View Full Version : ingrown hairs

Vivian2
05-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh help me I need a product to minimize the pain. I use something to exfoliate my skin before I shave and I use some of jergens shaving minimizer after I get out of the shower. Yet on my thighs especially, I get painful ingrown hairs almost covering my thights down to the bottom of my knees. If I keep shaving for long enough will they not show up? Id prefer a product I could get at a store.

Julie York
05-27-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm no expert but as they say in the best therapy sessions "I feel your pain".

I don't think it is in growing anything. I think you are shaving too hard. You'll have to wait a bit for your legs to get over the shock and calm down. Then next time, shave them like you are scared to hurt them. No weight at all. The skin on your legs and hairs are 3 times less than your face so shave accordingly.

Good luck.

Bin there done that.

Ashley Allison
05-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Try Tend Skin (http://www.tendskin.com/)

Personally, I don't use it because I think exfoliating it is good enough. I go onto a "real manly man's car forum" else where on the internet, and these guys recommended it for ingrown hairs, razor burn, and general skin irritation associated with shaving. It's gotten some good reviews. I think I might give it a try because my skin has been a little bit erratic lately. The price is the only downside that I can see about it.

Ashley Allison
05-27-2005, 05:59 PM
oh yea try shaving with the grain of your hair growth. that should help as well,

Ayla GG
05-27-2005, 08:41 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about Tend Skin. I've also read that using body lotions containing alpha hydroxy will help "exfoliate" the ingrown hairs. I've seen tend skin sold at Pure Beauty, Ulta & Sephora.

Maybe it's not a good idea to exfoliate before you shave, that would really make your skin raw-ouch. I scrub only a couple of times/ week & I avoid shaving right away. I usually use a very moisturizing body oil based scrub on my legs & exfoliate very gently if I really need to shave. The oil based scrub helps minimize the shaving irritation. Using a shaver for sensitive skin would help too.

Your poor legs :( I hope your irritation goes away soon!

Ibuki_Warpetal
05-27-2005, 09:58 PM
This happened to me when I used the lotion. :(

slim30m
05-28-2005, 03:23 AM
Not strictly on topic, but I gave up shaving last year.

I use a Philips Satin-Ice Epilator nowadays, and I have to say the number of (and thickness) of hairs growing back is much reduced.
I usually take a reasonably hot bath to help open the pores before I epilate, then use Baby-Oil to help those angry red spots calm down and exfoliate the following morning.

I'd never go back to the razor now )

Amelia Moxon
05-28-2005, 06:01 AM
Hmm, I electric shave for the most part but would wet shave if I went out en femme, I have one question though, shave with the grain? The first time I wet shaved I shaved with the grain on my face it removed zilch, nothing, so I went against the grain, and it was the smoothest shave I have ever had.

Michelle xxx

sarah8553
05-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Right, here's what I know about hair (not that much, sorry)

I came out in a nasty load of red spots after I used cream, but I do not know if this happens every time. Next time I will try shaving then. But I am not sure if this will help.

It does seem to be my thighs though...

I wonder if it's to do with heat, because I know two areas that are really NOT worth shaving are groin and your backside. The ingrowing hairs resulting from these areas can actually become medical issues...

Hope that helps, and saves you some pain, sorry it's not much!

Hugs n kisses,

Sarah. x