PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and retro CD

Julie York
05-27-2005, 05:14 PM
I didn't want to wobble the smoking thread so here's a new one.

I have noticed two things.

The smoking fascination as a sexual turn on is 100% American. Haven't met one Brit that thinks it sexy because we can smoke ourselves stupid here (well pretty much) and so there is no 'forbidden' quality to it. Whereas in the USA it is already a 'bad' thing, so has a glamour to it.

And....I've noticed that there is a BIG element of retro fascination when it comes to clothing. It is probably rooted in childhood and that first CD hook. But think about it. Blue eye shadow...seventies...
girdles...fifties.....
stockings....40s and 50s.
Stileto shoes...fifties.

There are probably younger CDs into platform shoes and lycra in a big way who were born in the late 60s and became "aware" in the seventies.

Even younger Cds are into Goth from the 80s.

etc.

What were women around you wearing when you were five?

Discuss.

StephanieCD
05-27-2005, 05:40 PM
I concur - think I said something similar on another thread once about blue eye shadow. I think perhaps our tastes have a lot to do with what we were exposed to when we shaped our image of sexuality. I can still remember stealing my dad's late 70's and early 80's playboys, etc. And he had retro stuff that was sexy when he was a kid - so I have a thing for late 50's and 60's stuff too... but there's a root for every branch on a tree ;)

Whoa... that was a weirdly deep thing to say. LOL

Julie York
05-27-2005, 05:46 PM
It just occured to me. That bare midriff fashion has been going for a decade now. There's a whole generation of pot bellied men (in 15 years) going to think a bare belly button is the sexiest way they can express themselves en femme. YIKES!

AbbyLee
05-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Your retro theory is right on, my mother was classic, girdle, stockings, falsies, and yes she did smoke.

Hugs

AbbyLee

Ashley Allison
05-27-2005, 05:53 PM
It just occured to me. That bare midriff fashion has been going for a decade now. There's a whole generation of pot bellied men (in 15 years) going to think a bare belly button is the sexiest way they can express themselves en femme. YIKES!

That's why I'm busting my ass over the gym right now. No beer gut for me. :dance:

I'm in my mid 20s. A look from the 80s that really turns me on is when girls would wear leotards with tan tights and legs warmers when working out. And even though I was around in the 50's, I still find stilettos very attractive.

Oh yeah. I'm an occassional smoker myself, and even I find it gross.

Sigrid
05-27-2005, 05:57 PM
Back in the '40's it was considered pretty edgey for women to smoke in the US. Hollywood certainly used that (still does) to bring out the bad girl image in film.

Ingrid Bergman
http://img130.echo.cx/img130/6351/bergman6mj.png

Betty Davis
http://img130.echo.cx/img130/1951/davis0cr.png

Greta Garbo
http://img130.echo.cx/img130/1338/garbo5xe.png

Wendy me
05-27-2005, 06:34 PM
the 1950's.............http://img9.echo.cx/img9/3218/whitgroup3dq.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

StephanieCD
05-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Oh! Sorry, hun... I thought THIS was the 50s...

http://www.bettiepage.com/images/photos/bondage/bondage9.jpg

:bunny::bunny:

MonaSmith
05-27-2005, 07:15 PM
I can understand where you are coming from Julie, it does make a lot of sense. I really love the fashions and styles from the 40s and 50s. I was born in '71 so obviously I didn't see much of that in real life, but I was exposed to a lot of movies from that period. I think that the androdgeny of the late 70s and early 80s might have made me look at those movies for an image of femininity that was lacking around me, and imprinted on me.

Oh and for the record, blue eyeshadow and, more shockingly, blue mascara are what all the cool kids are gonna be wearing this Summer. It all comes round again, even the bad stuff.

Mona x.

Tristen Cox
05-27-2005, 07:33 PM
What were women around you wearing when you were five?

They were dressed like Shelley Duvall was in Stephen King's "The Shinning". Baggy stripe shirts with little or no style and (usually plaid) bell-bottom pants, and yes she smoked in the movie. If I had to dress like that I would too. Yuck

Like2BAspen
05-27-2005, 07:45 PM
I DREAM OF JEANNIE STYLE CLOTHES WERE IN. MINI SKIRTS JUST CAME OUT POLYESTER WITH BIG FLOWER PATTERNS AND WELL LIKE THE AUSTIN POWERS GIRLS. THE APPOLO ROCKETS WERE GOING UP AND NEIL ARMSTRONG WAS THE FIRST MAN ON THE MOON. BUZZ ALDRON THE SECOND IS A NEW JERSEY RESIDENT FROM MONTCLAIR. CAROL BRADY AND MRS PARTRIDGE WERE HOT MAMAS AND SET THE TRENDS WHAT A TIME. nOW WHATS HOT THIS SUMMER? BIG FLOWERS BOLD PATTERNS AND MINIS

chanie
05-28-2005, 10:19 AM
I find that my style is 80's, but i watched a lot of 60's films, of course with the girls smoking. I used to want to look like they did (who am I kidding, I still want to). And i only smoke while i am dressed, sometimes i have gone 6 months without dressing / smoking but once I'm dressed, I need those ciggies, anyone else have these probs?

Chanie

Jadeanne
05-28-2005, 06:58 PM
They were dressed like Shelley Duvall was in Stephen King's "The Shinning". Baggy stripe shirts with little or no style and (usually plaid) bell-bottom pants, and yes she smoked in the movie. If I had to dress like that I would too. Yuck

Tristen,

What is it you would be tempted to smoke? ;) (I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist)

I'm a child of the 50's and that's the image that's planted in my brain. My late mother always wore a dress. At least some elements of it persisted through the mid and late 60's (some girls wore full skirts with petticoats even in high school). That's my explanation for my femme clothing preferences.

Jadeanne

Donna Delite
05-28-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm also a product of the late 50's and what I remember is almost all of the women smoked and wore heavy red lipstick.

Shy
05-29-2005, 12:20 AM
I'm in my early 20's, and dress in various goth/raver fashions.

Tristen Cox
05-29-2005, 01:44 AM
Tristen,

What is it you would be tempted to smoke? ;) (I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist)

Do you really have to ask that question :p

Jadeanne
05-29-2005, 09:02 AM
Do you really have to ask that question :p

Tristen,

As you noticed by my avatar, I'm a blonde :bonk:

Jadeanne

Jen_TGCD
05-29-2005, 10:11 AM
:D One picture is worth a thousand words... :cool: