PDA

View Full Version : Weight training & CD....

Alandra
10-05-2008, 07:52 PM
I've been weight training on & off (but mostly on) for the past 12 years. I really enjoy it! Since I injured myself triathlon training in March, it's just about the only kind of physical activity I can do without aggravating the injury, so I've been into it more lately.

My strategy the last several months is to do low weight & high rep training. Specifically, I've been doing two sets of 12 - 20 reps. If I can't lift the weight at least 24 times... to hell with it. At 40, it's time to increase the resistance. It's not worth risking injury, and it's not worth the potential of becoming super bulky and VERY un-femme lifting heavier weights.

Without hormones, (I'm not TS, and don't foresee that changing any time soon.) you're kind of caught in a trap. When you hit the gym hard with a man's body, it's going to become more masculine. All that said, I was wondering how many of the other ladies are into weight training and if so, maybe you could share your experiences about hitting the gym hard and still looking femme.

Jessicaparkson
10-05-2008, 08:04 PM
I used to weight train quite a bit a few years back before I tore my bicep. Good times. Anyways. When I did I just accepted the more masculine changes that naturally occur from weight training.

Amiad
10-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I guess it might have alot to do with why you dress......for me it's about the clothes; hairy legs, beard and all:eek:

Of course there is always the up-side of this. None of your clothes will fit right and you will have to go shopping:)

No...I dont have a beard in my photos. Dont think I would recieve a kind response and it grows back in 2 weeks.

Kayla Shadows
10-05-2008, 08:29 PM
My strategy the last several months is to do low weight & high rep training.

Ive heard thats a good way to do it.Lower weight and more reps seems to build a nice longer look to the muscle.Instead of doing 6 reps until muscle failure for bulk,go for 12.Doing really high reps doesnt allow the muscle much resistance to get toned.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/

Annie D
10-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Be sure that when you weight train that you use both types of contractions. There are concentric contractions when you lift the weight and that works the belly of the muscle when the muscle shortens and there are eccentric contractions when you lower the weight when the muscle lengthens and that works where the muscle originates and inserts on and across the joint. For example if you do a biceps curl, when you bring the weight up you can see the biceps muscle shorten but if you slowly lower the weight, overcoming gravity, you are strengthening the muscle at the two sides of the belly. This is what builds strength and not bulk.

I'm sure someone where you work out can give you some guidance but remember that after 72 hours you start losing the gains you have previously attained.

An alternative training regiment might be to swim which works the upper body plus it will give you an excuse to shave your body......

Marjory
10-05-2008, 09:17 PM
I've been lifting sinceI'm 15, I'm now 65 and have just recently increased my reps to 15 and scaled back my weights to match. Weight lifting has kept me young + I still have a good build. I also taught self defense and martial arts for 25 years which has kept me (fairly) fast.

Things slowed down at about 55 not in my forties, at 44 I could bench twice my weight. Now the most is use is ~200 lbs for bp. I don't make a very passable female.

Marjory

Raquel June
10-06-2008, 01:46 AM
The age-old theory that higher reps less weight builds "tone" and higher weight less reps builds "bulk" is unfounded and has been debunked in most respected weight training resources. But, just like the theory that more sit-ups makes you lose belly fat, a lot of people still believe it.

Either you want to build muscle and gain strength or you don't.

If you do, you should lift as much as you can safely for a relatively low number of reps. Sometimes it's a whole lot more convenient to do 15 reps of something instead of adding weight and doing 8 reps, and that's not all that bad, but, for example, if you're doing 20 reps on the bench you're doing something wrong. If the weight is far below your max, then it might be a good warmup or cooldown ... it might even be good aerobic exercise, but it's not the best way to build muscle. If you're doing a bunch of reps and it is a lot of weight, then that's not so bad, but it increases lactic acid and makes recovery take longer, so it's something to avoid if you want to train that muscle group more than once a week.

If you just want "tone," then you should weight train less and focus more on diet and aerobic exercise. Spending a ton of time in the gym doing high reps with low weight isn't bad, but it's less effective. You're less likely to hurt yourself with high reps, though, so that may be a valid trade-off to you.

What exactly is your injury?

If weight training is your favorite way to work out, but you don't want to get too manly, just hit glutes/quads/abs a lot harder and do less sets of upper body stuff.

The eccentric (negative) action of lifting is the more important one, so you want to lift the weight fairly quickly and lower it slowly.

Training density (doing more work in less time via more weight and less reps) is a very important factor in building muscle and also in stimulating the release of HGH. It also stimulates the release of testosterone (like all physical activity), but this brings us back to the question of why you're weight training in the first place. If you don't want to build muscle, then you shouldn't be doing much weight training.

You just have to realize that "tone" is a term which people are confused about. Moderate muscle mass and low % body fat gives you what is known as tone. When you look at a girl and say "she has toned arms," what you're saying is that she has muscle, but she's not too bulky, and she has no fat on her arms.

yms
10-06-2008, 04:48 AM
Hi

I weight lift a few days each week, using the same kind of format you described. Been doing it for ten years. The amount of muscle mass you develop using that kind of regime is minimal.

fluffy_kingston
10-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I ran and lifted weights for years. Now I only do yoga/ballet.

All I can tell you is my body is better now (leaner, smaller muscles, less abdominal fat).

Schatten Lupus
10-06-2008, 02:07 PM
I use to do some serious weight training, mainly in high school before I tore my left ACL. Since then, I've stuck to a high rep, low weight regiment, mainly for my legs. It has so far kept my legs strong, and not much muscle mass gain. But, I'm also no longer a series weight trainer. Allthough I enjoy pumping iron and pushing myself alittle more further than I did the last time, I lost the desire and will to do it seriously, and do it more out of necessity than pleasure.

Marissa Mae
10-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Yes.. this is a double edged sword for someone who dresses that wants to both look more femme, but also loves being a guy and looking fit. It makes finding the cuter clothing more difficult, thats the worst part for me. I don't really care as much that I don't look slender, since I am not really trying to be a woman 24/7.

Nicole Erin
10-06-2008, 03:33 PM
I used to be into bodybuilding.
I don't do it anymore for the very reason of it would make me look even less femme.
Consider this - yes exercise will trim your body and make it look more masc or femme [depending on your birth gender] but that is better than looking fat.

Muscles are not hard to hide.

Go look at Andrea Forbes profile and check out the difference, en femme you would never know she had that body...

Raquel June
10-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Go look at Andrea Forbes profile and check out the difference, en femme you would never know she had that body...

Yeah, Andrea's really cute ... and JayToJillian is hot, and totally built as a guy ... and I think I'm kinda cute for someone who weighs 190 and can bench 300+ lbs.

Rippling upper back muscles would be ridiculous, but hair mostly covers that up, so I think overdoing your biceps is the most non-feminine thing you can do. Having big pecs and even triceps doesn't really stand out as much as you'd think en femme.

BillieJoe
10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
As a young man I had every desire to present myself as a 'man'. I was into sports and I was into weight-training. I did this because everyone expected me to be a 'man'. Little did anyone know THE OTHER SIDE of ME. I secretly wanted to be very feminine. I did everything I could to keep this side of me from everyone. Had I known then all that I know now I would have transitioned. At one point I was about 20 pounds away from benching 400#. Then the army called and most of my lifting was confined to much lighter weights and attempts after that. I believe as a result of all my weight training and then essentially not doing it anymore was the fact that my breasts became flabbier and larger. I have since torn both rotator cuffs and if I practice I can do 60# on the bench. I can't even do a push up anymore. I still exercise regularly (mostly bicycle) but anything I do is geared toward a more feminine body...

DonnaLynn77
10-06-2008, 08:53 PM
I've been thinking lately about what kind of exercises one could do to achieve a more feminine shape, namely in the hips/backside area.

Does this make sense? Squats and leg lifts and such? I would guess that trying to increase only that muscle mass would be tricky but, with specific workouts, one might be able to fill out a bit.

Otherwise there are hormones of course but I'm a little hesitant to do that.

Raquel June
10-07-2008, 03:42 AM
I've been thinking lately about what kind of exercises one could do to achieve a more feminine shape, namely in the hips/backside area.

Most gyms have a leg press machine and a bench for quad extensions and hamstring curls. Squats are great, but you really have to be careful. You should have someone who really knows what they're doing watch you until you've got your form right.

I've seen a lot of places with thigh abductor machines -- the one where you sit in it and spread your legs. That works your outer hip muscles. You can also use the cable machines if they have a strap that you can put around one ankle and spread your legs one at a time. But if you're not at a gym, you can just lie on one side with your legs stacked on top of each other and raise your one ankle in the air.

The problem, of course, is that women with nice shapely hips don't have them because of muscle bulk. It's fat.

prene
10-07-2008, 03:50 AM
No weights for me . . . I need to keep a smaller top.

yms
10-07-2008, 05:23 AM

Does this make sense? Squats and leg lifts and such? I would guess that trying to increase only that muscle mass would be tricky but, with specific workouts, one might be able to fill out a bit.

Otherwise there are hormones of course but I'm a little hesitant to do that.

Hi Donna

I don't know as you can "widen" your hips (don't I wish I could). Women tend to have more fatty tissue around their hips and thighs and rear.

Another good "butt-building" exercise is bicycling. Not so much a stationary bike but something that allows for hill climbing. A stair-stepper or elliptical trainer simulates this motion.

Tasha McIntyre
10-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Hi Donna. Racquel got it right, muscles can only get bigger (hypertrophy) through training, or smaller (atrophy) through lack of, or ceasing training. The more aerobic your exercise the more calories you will burn, therefore dropping body fat. This I believe, is where the myth of lower weights and higher reps toning and not building muscles comes from.

I have been a bit of a gym junkie for about 25 years, and have found that a controlled diet and moderate aerobic exercise keeps the figure trim, if you want a slim / athletic look.

I'm 6 ft 2 and a tad under 200 pounds, but I have been lucky enough to have a look that makes my wife a bit envious when I wear my little black dress. Remember, unlike our GG friends, we don't have to battle cellulite.

Good luck.

DonnaLynn77
10-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Thx for the suggestions, ladies. :)

I'm already an avid cycler, have been for almost twenty years, so I know that's not helping haha! Yeah I try to stay trim but now trying to limit myself to abs/core and cardio workouts so I don't build any more upper body bulk.

I am sometimes reminded about people that make the decision to transition with hormones and stuff and their hips look great but I don't think I am ready for that kind of commitment. <<slinks off to go search for hormone threads>>

xo,
Donna

kymmieLorain
10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
That's what I need to start doing working out first for wieght loss then for tone. I would love to get down to at least a 14 is not a 12.

Kymmie

foxyjj111
10-09-2008, 10:50 AM
i have been competing in triathlons myself and find that the type of training is very conducive to the kind of physique i want. i do the same type of low resistance training you spoke of just to maintain core strength and injury prevention. i dont use weights at all though, just push-ups, ab workouts, lunges and things of that sort. that way i dont get the bulky look or feel. (plus swimming and cycling is a darn good reason to shave the legs. no such explanation for the pink nails though. lol

jenny_centaur
10-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I've been weight training regularly (3 or 4 times a week) as well as cycling, running and generally keeping fit for most of my adult life. I've never tried to 'bulk up', preferring more reps over bigger weights. I'm of the opinion that a lean, fit physique makes me look more feminine or more masculine depending entirely upon how I dress. Judge for yourself: Here (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90962)

geri
10-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Most gyms have a leg press machine and a bench for quad extensions and hamstring curls. Squats are great, but you really have to be careful. You should have someone who really knows what they're doing watch you until you've got your form right.

I've seen a lot of places with thigh abductor machines -- the one where you sit in it and spread your legs. That works your outer hip muscles. You can also use the cable machines if they have a strap that you can put around one ankle and spread your legs one at a time. But if you're not at a gym, you can just lie on one side with your legs stacked on top of each other and raise your one ankle in the air.

The problem, of course, is that women with nice shapely hips don't have them because of muscle bulk. It's fat.
racquel,
i'm a big guy ( 6' 6" ) and have the old guy belly. the pouch below the waist. how do i get that down or eliminated by weights?
i want to tone so some of those neat clothes will fit.

thanks,
geri

DonnaT
10-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I also swim, which helps avoid the bulking up.

A CDing friend of mine holds several world records in power lifting, yet she isn't bulky. Probably because she doesn't do a lot of reps with the heavy weights. So it's possible to gain strength without bulking up.

Raquel June
10-09-2008, 07:04 PM
geri:

There are no non-surgical methods for losing weight in a specific place. You just have to lose weight and eventually the belly will go away.

But any form of weight training will increase your metabolism and help you lose fat. There's another old myth that a pound of fat burns no calories but a bound of muscle burns 100 calories a day. That's false (there are studies that sorta show that, but it's only true for the first three pounds of muscle you gain), but lifting weights does raise your metabolism, even for hours after your workout. Another important thing is that dieting makes you lose fat and muscle, but weight training will really help you keep the muscle (and even build muscle if you're getting enough protein) while you lose fat.

The bottom line to losing fat is burning more calories than you eat. Building muscle will increase your metabolism and make that easier, and it'll make you look better, and it'll hide fat by making your stomach flatter and your whole physique firmer. Doing aerobic/cardio exercise will of course raise your metabolism while you're doing it, and it'll build some muscle and make you live longer and feel better. But just eating less is by far the most effective way to lose weight.

Here's a kinda sad example. Last year I was sick for 10 days straight. I almost never get sick, and I had a horrible case of the flu. I had almost nothing but Gatorade for a week. I went from around 195-200 lbs. down to 177. And I really had awesome abs at the end of that!

I know it's inconvenient (I'd much rather skip breakfast and have a big lunch/dinner), but if you eat several small meals it's really easy to eat less calories. Your stomach will shrink and you'll get full easier. It's like your own mini gastric bypass. And eating big meals is really bad, because you can only metabolize so much. Once you replenish your energy, most of the rest of that meal gets turned to fat. It's much more complicated than that, and there's also important stuff to look at with regard to spiking your insulin with certain foods, but eating a bunch of smaller meals really helps.

JaytoJillian
10-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Ok, I'll jump in. I train daily. I have successfully used a combination of cardio (running, elliptical and jump rope) and a hi-rep/lo-weight routine to go from about 220 + pounds to 188 over the course of a few months. I restrict the lightweight stuff to the upper body. The legs do the heavy lifting--I lead off with squats, incline leg press, leg curls and the hip abductor machine. (I believe I am among the few here who think bulking up the bottom half can create a more femme appearance. I still use a bit of hip padding, but I let my backside go au natural when en femme) I then get the cardio going with the jump rope. Then I go for 40-50 minutes on the elliptical machine and try to kill at least 600-700 calories. After that, I hit the sauna, which has no real weight loss benefit, but it sure feels good.

Also, remember to do your weight training prior to your cardio if you are going to combine the two. To burn fat during your cardio workout, you have to be in an aerobic state-- be able to breathe that is, as the body needs the oxygen to burn the fat. If you're in an anaerobic state, your body will still burn calories, but it will use sugars and carbs, not the fat. Post workout eating is also a must. Have a meal within 45 minutes or so after your gym time. Small meals throughout the day also help keep you trim.

Cheers,

Jill

ElaineB
10-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I train with weights ... dumbells at home and on occasion hit the gym.

But ... my experience won't be much help. I tend towards being an ectomorph. I can bulk up some, but not enough to make me unpassably muscular.

My pecs are now getting enough definition to look good in either mode. :heehee:

Karen Francis
10-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I am like Ms Kingston above, I do ballet and some free weight training, concentrating on abdominal and legs, the largest muscle groups. I don't do anything in the shoulders/arms. Seems to be working, lost 30+ lbs in 2 years and waist from 34 to a 31.

Deidra Cowen
10-11-2008, 10:02 AM
I also swim, which helps avoid the bulking up.

A CDing friend of mine holds several world records in power lifting, yet she isn't bulky. Probably because she doesn't do a lot of reps with the heavy weights. So it's possible to gain strength without bulking up.

I found swimming helped me achive the best look for CDing. Only problem is the gym was so crowded I had to wait for a lane...switched to a gym with less customers but no pool.

I never lifted weights but did tons of cardo and swimming when I really had a figure going on. Fell off the wagon but back at it again.:Angry3: