PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts

Jessicaparkson
10-07-2008, 02:28 AM
Thoughts on the state of acceptance and realization of the crossdressing community.

Humans are a singular species. Whether one believes in other sentient life or not, humanity is still singular. Just as all people are unique,so is our species. Uniqueness is one thing that has defined our race for all of our existence and shall do so for the foreseeable future. We often think of ourselves as the most accepting and agreeable of all species and are not shy to state such. It is the showing of history to contradict this pride we have assigned ourselves with. Humans have never been accepting,nor are we the most agreeable. No other species commits atrocities such as we do to our own.

As our world moves further into the future we are continuing a movement of progression towards the "perfect world", "perfect species", "perfect person". What is defined as perfection is defined by each human. Their thoughts are influenced by their culture and family, therefore often restricting them from seeing the "larger picture". The movement for women's rights, civil rights, and religious separation have been modern examples of the history long struggle within Man. Though we are the most advanced of all life on Earth we seem to be unable to apply this advantage to our most pressing needs.

In this day and age the new movements are for enviromental protection,homosexual rights,and rights for animals. True,there be more issues but those are the most oft seen. They are issues that need addressing but I shall pose a question. In each of those issues, however warranted they may be, there is a division. Division of progression and environmental protection. The division of man and man, or woman and woman. Humans with no care for animals and those who hold them dear. Here is where I shall enter my subject. Crossdressing. The world is synonymous in our culture with homosexuality and "sins". But let us examine the word. Cross. A cross reference. Meaning a mixture or combining. Dressing. The act of dress. Dressing addresses how culture has dictated the way a gender should wear their clothes. Dressing can be applied to far more than that though. It may also be applied to how we are told to walk, how to act, what do feel, what to say. Dictation and command is the true principal of dressing.

If one considers crossdressing the first reaction is often one of disgust,wonder,or maybe even horror. We are looked at as an evil. But let me pose another question. If we are such evil and are extradited as such, why then is the violence of games or movies permitted? When has death and horror become more accepted than a person finding happiness and connecting with themselves? In this, humanity shows a key fault. Hypocrisy. We constantly counter our own "morals".

Let us examine morals. What exactly are they and how to they apply to our world? Morals are expectations or rules set down by a culture or generation for their predecessors and themselves to adhere to, often with the intention of bettering the culture. Morals are assigned. They are not law. Morals may be ignored. They may be changed. They may be forgotten. Here is where I ask, when has our moral of unity been forgotten? Perhaps we just ignore it?

Crossdressing is not a sin. After discussions with many religious leaders of many faiths all have admitted that there is no mandate against it in most faiths. Most just have said that one must be happy as you are made. As who you are. Take that to heart sisters and brothers. We are who we are. Against such opinions as many of the general public is, we are not evil. Nor are we some type of mutation. It is amazing to think that parents would rather have their children witness mass murder (and take part in it) in movies or games, than have them merely walk past us. I see no sense in this. Our dressing is fulfilling a need. We may even go as far as to analogy it to wearing a hat. The sun's rays attack my scalp and I get hot. So I wear a hat and no one thinks a second though about it. Now again I ask. Why can't we be accepted?

Society has set itself into a mindset of fear and paranoia of the different or unknown. We are counter culture. We are not the "norm". It is easier to be afraid of something or condemn it than to understand it. Unfortunately, our world has adhered to this mindset and many will not move from their position. But like in all good stories there is a happy ending. I shall say the following. Be happy of who you are, you are the way you are for a reason. Do not listen to the taunts of the uninformed and the ignorant. It is said that it takes a man to start a fight, but it takes an even bigger man (or woman) to walk away from one. By our continual refusing to adhere to what the world wants from us we move the world toward understanding. It is quite a leap we have taken. To be able, and willing, to connect with your entire self in face of such opposition is a tremendous feat of perseverance.

To my sisters and brothers. Keep strong and keep going. The storm yields and the waves shall not always be so high. Be happy for yourself, as I am, for you have agreed to take a huge step in your mind and spirit. Remember you have the support of the rest of us,who walk the same walk as you. I shall close with a quote.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss.

This post was made in response to someone asking to see some of the paper I'm writing on crossdressing in our world. Sorry for the length but hopefully someone will read it and find it of some use.

Ze xx
10-07-2008, 03:34 AM
That's a very thoughtful post :)

I started a thread the other week about why cross dressing was taboo in general society. The trouble is that to get a fuller picture I need to ask people who are not involved in the crossdressing community.

I don't (and have never, even before I realised my SO was a cder) understand why some members of society are threatened by a contraversial choice of dress. I'm not just talking about cross dressing, but goths and hippies have had it rough too. It's just clothes, why is it such a big deal. I realise that your choice of clothes can give some indication to the type of person you are, but it's just that, an indication. It shows nothing of morals, ethics, religious choice, political stance etc. Even if you take hormones or have surgery to make your body match your head, it doesn't show your pov.

I'm far more concerned about morals. It doesn't matter what people wear, or what they look like if they have decided to rob, hurt or kill.

What you wear should be such a non-issue.

docrobbysherry
10-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Such a thotful post! It made me; angry, sad, and feel frustrated! At different points in your writing. :straightface:

Kate Simmons
10-07-2008, 10:56 AM
I wonder about all of this stuff sometimes. I really think a lot of it is based of assumptions. It's getting to the point these days, even before the Wall St. debacle, where most people simply don't have time to judge or criticize others personally as they are simply trying to get by and make a living. It's easier just to read an article or watch a news report with someone telling us about some moron who committed a crime or did something stupid in drag and therefore the implication is that everyone who dresses in so-called women's clothes is a few cards shy of a deck. They must be right, they are icons in the media. Bottom line it gets viewers and sells papers and has no shortage of sensationalism.

If, on the other hand, a group of TG or CD folks did something truly altrustic worthy of publishing, it would be mostly ignored as their intentions were too good to make headlines. In any case, the media are front runners and for the most part are told what to say by their superiors, regardless of what the actual truth is. I honestly get a kick out of listening to (not watching) the news on TV when I'm on the computer. Without the visual, which normally sells the story, most of it is a crock of crap designed to get attention.

In any case, we have to get out of the mindset that "society" deems something right or wrong, normal or abnormal. We are part of society and it starts right here.. The moral part is a no brainer as Ze said but the rest of it is really up to interpretation. It's like when people say:"They say". I always ask:"Who the hell are they?" The answer is:"People". I say:"What people?" To which I usually get:"You know" or shrugged shoulders. Gotta love it. We battle assumptions and misinformation with not only TG issues but many things in life. It's a tough battle sometimes but only by showing who and what we are as people do we have a chance to correct it. It's up to us really.:)

charlie
10-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Hello Jessica!
Great paper. Please write again and tell us how it was received. Society does hold us in disgust, mistrust and perverts. We are not the typical guy on the street and somehow (not really sure why) threaten society. It seems that when someone is not understood, then they are a threat of some kind. I'm just trying to be me and get by. Not really making a statement or a movement for societal change. Hopefully, some day I can be me and not be afraid of getting chided or beaten up because of it.

Samantha Kelsey
10-07-2008, 01:13 PM
I often wonder if one of the reasons people think of us as they do (wierd) is because so much of it is done in secret.

I once remenber listening to a group of guys in the local pub discussing the local Buff's group. They spoke of them as a wierd lot because they thought that they did everything in secret. Maybe we should be more open. Show them that we're not upto no good imoral things. After all look how the gay community is gaining more and more acceptance.

Sarah...
10-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Crossdressing is not a sin. After discussions with many religious leaders of many faiths all have admitted that there is no mandate against it in most faiths. Most just have said that one must be happy as you are made. As who you are.

And yet many faiths will presume to tell you how you are made and therefore how you should behave and present to the world. Hence homosexuality, as an example, can be outlawed by a faith because that faith's view is that one was not made that way, that it is a human construct. Despite how many papers may be written to the contrary.

What you wear should be such a non-issue.

Absolutely. However we're not there yet as a society. In general people look to a dress style as the first indication as to which tribe you belong to and therefore whether or not they will be in a position to get along with you. And that's such a strong influence that often other beneficial apsects of people's humanity get trodden on rough shod and ignored until such a time as meaningful dialogue can be exchanged and points of view understood. Often there is no opportunity for such dialogue.

If, on the other hand, a group of TG or CD folks did something truly altrustic worthy of publishing, it would be mostly ignored as their intentions were too good to make headlines.

What we can't know of course is just what fantastic things have already been done by TG / CD folks through history because more often than not they are not openly TG or CD and so there is no linkage. This could be such a valid point and yet, to bring it back to the top of this thread, there is such pressure not to admit to being TG / CD (or whatever other label you wish to use) that we'll have to be right out there first before we can ever possibly hope to demonstrate any benefits. Catch 22 anyone?

Of course, we could just dispense with the labels and concentrate on being the best humans we can be!!! But that goes against so much grain (and biology) that it's probably no more than a pipe dream.

I continue to do my own small bit though, another few family members have learnt about me this last week or so and although it's been very, very difficult I feel I'm doing the right thing.

Sarah...

Ballerina
10-08-2008, 01:21 AM
The world is synonymous in our culture with homosexuality and "sins".

Yes it is, even I was fooled into thinking that crossdressers were related to being homosexual before I went out and explored my emotions. I feel that it revolves around misconception rather than fault, though.

After discussions with many religious leaders of many faiths all have admitted that there is no mandate against it in most faiths. Most just have said that one must be happy as you are made.

Hmm... but they condone homosexuality and many other differences outside of the normal majority? What about Joan of Arc? One of the reasons why she was burned at the stake was the fact that she had dressed as a man. But, I guess it just leaves it in the hands of God Himself. But, if God were to condemn me to hell for being a happy and laws-abiding denizen of His world, who should I feel sorry for? Myself, or Him?

Society has set itself into a mindset of fear and paranoia of the different or unknown. We are counter culture. We are not the "norm". It is easier to be afraid of something or condemn it than to understand it.

I wouldn't say fear is a complete driving force against the hatred of crossdressing. I feel it is more of the fact that femininity is perceived as being weak and feeble. To keep your feelings closed, and just swallow anything that can be bothersome to the soul, is considered being strong and masculine. But is it really? I feel that it is more strong to go against society itself, than to just follow the pack. Proves leadership in my own opinion.

It's just clothes, why is it such a big deal.

It's not just about the clothes, it's about the symbol behind them. Goths are viewed as being dark and satanic. Hippies are viewed as being lucid and drug addicted. And crossdressers are viewed as being *feminine and weak. Again, are we? Or are we leaders of a whole other pack?

I believe that if we want social acceptance, we need to inform others. But, if you like leaving something as taboo against society, feel free to stand back. By either being aggressive, or passive, we are all in some way a leader against society, and that itself is a beautiful, complicated thing.

Edit: I was going to strike out my error, but I thought it would be a great proof to show everyone how much culture impacts us without realizing it. I had put down "feminine and weak", and it was an easy mistake to make as it views being feminine is being weak. What I was more meaning was that being immasculine is a sign of weakness. To err may be human, but to understand and respect another is beyond divinity.

Ze xx
10-08-2008, 11:27 AM
It's not just about the clothes, it's about the symbol behind them. Goths are viewed as being dark and satanic. Hippies are viewed as being lucid and drug addicted. And crossdressers are viewed as being *feminine and weak. Again, are we? Or are we leaders of a whole other pack?

But that is partly my point. I am a mixture of goth and hippy in my dress. I know about both 'types' of people which is why I chose them for my point. Sometimes I do the whole 'goth' thing, sometimes I look like I'm just missing woodstock. Sometimes it's a blend of the two, (think laura ashley dress with new rock boots :D ) Am I dark and satanic? Nope :devil:. The only drugs I take are under doctors orders. Yes I own music by Jethro Tull, and yes I own music by Marilyn Manson. I also have Tchicovsky (which would probably be more impressive if I could spell it :hmph: and Robbie Williams and almost anything in between in my music collection. My choice of reading matter is equally ecclectic.

The most narrow minded, unpleasant person I know is immaculately and conventionally groomed at all times. The most philanthropic I ever met was a complete scruff-bag, although he was well off enough to be able to be immaculately turned out in designer clothes should he chose to.

When I say 'it's just clothes' what I mean is that's all a stranger gets to see, and it gives nothing of the layers beneath away. Clothes do not 'maketh the man' imo. :)

Amy Lynn3
10-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Ze xx, I agree with you 100%. Very well stated and I can only add this...if people only look at the surface, that is the only picture they will ever have of a person. I can look at the written word or hear the voice of a person and know if they are beautiful or not. Its their loss for only seeing the external coverings of a person and not looking at the person from inside out.

KarenEdwards
10-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I posted elsewhere that I have been going out as Karen for a long time and that I have yet to have a really bad experience. I've found that people are, in reality, far more tolerant and understanding than we might think them to be.

If we slink about and act as though we expect or deserve a negative reaction, then we might elicit that very response. We really have nothing to be ashamed of nor embarrassed about.

docrobbysherry
10-08-2008, 12:12 PM
What about Joan of Arc? One of the reasons why she was burned at the stake was the fact that she had dressed as a man. But, I guess it just leaves it in the hands of God Himself. But, if God were to condemn me to hell for being a happy and laws-abiding denizen of His world, who should I feel sorry for? Myself, or Him?

To err may be human, but to understand and respect another is beyond divinity.

But, the problem with most religions, is NOT with their god! If they left it up to us to make peace with which ever god we worship, there wouldn't be so many problems in the world.

The problems are caused by MEN interpreting what their god says. That causes the hate, or at least the, " we're the good people, and your not" exclusion, that most religions ultimately provoke!

We were supposed to be moving toward a one world community in this century. But, distrust and even hate, of folks different than ourselves, is not allowing that to happen. I see it every day in everyone, including myself! It not only effects every CD, it effects anyone and everyone. All u have to do to experience it to some degree, is leave your tite circle of family and friends!

Truly open and accepting people r either very young, or very rare! And that is such a shame!