PDA

View Full Version : Gender Value

valenstein
10-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I am a little disheartened when I see disparaging comments about GGs because they don't dress in someone else's ideal image, saying they are less beautiful if they happen to be in a pair of jeans, sneakers, a tee and no makeup, of if they don't fit what society considers the feminine norm. I also think it is equally incorrect to say that all crossdressers and transsexuals cannot compete with a genetic woman in regards to her femininity or even her status as a genetic female. I don't disagree 100%, I'm saying that blanket statements don't apply.

To my first point, how a person chooses to express their outer image should not be a scale on which to determine their gender value. So many of us wish only to dress as we wish without judgement. I have to say I love a nicely dressed woman and am a makeover TV show junkie. The thing I hear most often from a lot of the women on these shows is that they have put their family and children and other things first, and have put their own wishes far behind. There's an awful lot of beauty in that "slob". My favorite part of these shows is that moment when they see themselves in a new outfit, something flattering and realize how beautiful they are. I do think sometimes they get pushed into a mold, but the astonishment when they realize they've been wearing the wrong bra for years or their jeans really did make their ass look big, it's great to see those moments when they feel brand new.

As far as femininity goes, it's a personal taste. I think female bodybuilders are beautiful. I mean the ripped girls (not all of them are on steroids, but some are). I find a lot of parallels with these women. To be looked on with disgust because a female is "trying to be male", to do something that makes you very happy and to look in the mirror and be pleased with your accomplishments and then to have people in public stare at you in disdain. They can't leave the house and be closeted. I find women that can hold on to their femininity, yet kick a piece of it to the curb to be the most feminine. If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is passing. My personal taste is such that the most passable TS is not necessarily the most beautiful. Same goes for GGs in a similar vein. A lot of supermodels can look rather masculine.

If you could pick only one, would you rather be the most passable or the most beautiful? Pick only one.

To my second point, how exactly would you define a genetic female or compare her against a CD or TS in gender value? I know one TS woman, she's pretty, has a very average female sounding voice, but I wouldn't call her a supermodel. I wrongly assumed she was GG for quite a while until a group of us were talking and she mentioned her surgery. She had it early in life by most TS standards and has been a female longer than any young teenage girl. If I had been a casual acquaintance or a co-worker and the subject had never come up, I would have assumed the rest of my life she was a GG. For some to say ALL GGs are more "female", how do you arrive at that conclusion? Breast size? Breasts or lack thereof don't define a woman. A voice in the average female register? Some women have deeper voices. The vagina? Okay, but out of all the GGs you know, unless you are an OBGYN, that's not something you usually get to see. Pregnancy? Some women can't have children or have had a hysterectomy or other medical issues, they're not less female. I do admire that females have that power, but it is not often talked about here. The clothes I think I mentioned above, so it all comes down to her inner person.

Humans are the dominant species on the planet, yet the human infant is the least likely species to survive without its mother. All of what is the inner male or female is passed down to us by our parents, family, caregivers, society.

From what I've read here, some of the transmen (I say some, I haven't met them all) have more physical characteristics of a GG than I, but are "more male" than I am in the words they write, their thoughts, actions, desires. Who is "more GG" in this case?

I asked another TS friend recently if she could remember the first day she felt "something wasn't right". She said she remembered being four years old and being dressed as a boy and told to go out and play with the boys, she felt "backwards", I know at that point she started to become a woman. I have a difficult time even calling her TS, every bit of her being screams GG at me, but in a subtle whisper.
She is as GG to me as any GG I've met, and I mean that in the truest sense.

I very much enjoy being around women, it's something I can't quite put my finger on, but I know it when I feel it. It's not a dress or mascara or boobs or shopping or even knowing this person I'm talking to was born a woman. It's the span of her life experience and all the things she has integrated into it that make her this person. The things she was taught, learned, accepted or rejected about being a woman that molded her into this individual. I suppose I can say that about all people, but it's that intangible feeling I get around a woman that makes me want to grab onto those intangibles to be more like her.

I have felt this feeling from my tomboy aunt when she helped me fix my car, a former boss who was a fashion glam girl, a former boss who was a butch lesbian, a wonderful TS friend, a CD friend, my sister, my gf, in the lyrics of a favorite female artist, in the wisdom of a former call girl, even a couple guys.

I do put a lot of value into what a genetic woman tells me about what it means to be a woman...if I like her as a person. I know some UGGGLY women, but they're ugly because the words that come out of their mouths are doing harm to their beautiful faces. I'm not being a sycophant when I say all the women I enjoy being around are beautiful. Believe me or not.

Kayla Shadows
10-10-2008, 05:01 PM
passable or beautiful? beautiful

With the existence of some of the people here,if the identity of gender really lives in the brain,then it would make what you were born irrelevant.People would be people and we couldnt say who is more of what.I dont like to compare anybody to anybody.Which makes,I too,hate to see GG's and CD's talked about in the manner I see.

True beauty is something that cant be seen.Like you explained before,a person can appear beautiful until they speak.And with all their looks,you wouldnt want to be that person.Who you are inside is really what makes you beautiful.Looks fade so I see the truth in everything as something that is constant.

People argue about what is "true" femininity or true beauty.
Fact is no one really knows

You are absolutely correct.Beauty is opinion and individual.It is whats meaningful to a person.

Sarah...
10-10-2008, 05:09 PM
To my second point, how exactly would you define a genetic female or compare her against a CD or TS in gender value?

This is a very important point and one I keep harping on about. It's also a point that's usually missed or ignored. So I repeat, there are no exclusivity rights on femininity or masculinity simply due to one's gender assigned at birth.

We should all have a go at defining a female or a male or masculinity or femininity. Then think of the exceptions. Then revisit the supposed definition and see how much sense it makes.

That was a good paper Ivy, well written and with feeling.

Thanks

Sarah...

PamelaTX
10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks, Ivy for this post, you have a lot of important things to say here.

I've always thought that all women are beautiful, and the older I get, the more I feel this way. But true beauty is inner beauty. Once you know a person for a while, you tend to just see the person, not the face, so what difference does it make anyway?

I also believe that you should take people at face value. In 60 years of life, I've never spotted a CD en femme. Once, someone pointed out to me that a certain member of our all-female cleaning staff was actually male. I was amazed, and actually rather disappointed. I would rather not have known. As far as I'm concerned, if you're dressed like a woman, you are a woman. Who cares what's "really" under there? I may be naive, but another thing I've learned in my 60 years is that there are much worse things than being naive.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

serinalynn
10-10-2008, 05:45 PM
As a Very Part time crossdresser, I would prefer to be passable first. Being an older CDer at this time in my life I would just want to be Passable. I just don't feel the need to further than that right now.

However, If I could turn back the clock 40 years to the point where I would be 19 all over and knowing what I know now about crossdressing I'd start passable then quickly going Beautiful and transitioning, to bring out my feminine beauty. (if there is some) I think every woman transgendered and gender girl has their own amount of inner and outer beauty. :daydreaming:

Toni_Lynn
10-10-2008, 05:49 PM
This is a superb post. Thank you. I too hate it when GGs are put down by crossdressers because they don't meet a crossdressers idea of being a woman is all about. It ain't all about lace panties and bras. I hate it when a GG is put down because she wasn't dressed in a feminine fashion, or when we as CDers cry out long and loud when something in the realm of female fashion takes a decidedly masculine turn.

I learned long ago that true beauty comes from within. Here are some women I consider to be truly beautiful: Mother Theresa of Calcutta - beautiful because of caring heart she had; Anne Ramsey - she was Momma in the movie Throw Momma from the Train - beautiful because she made me laugh; Eleanor Roosevelt - beautiful because of her strength and intelligence.

Far too often we may confuse beauty with erotic attraction, I guess.

I like what you said about women who have had hysterectomies and can't have children, for I am in a oppositely similar situation. Low sperm - can't father a child. Does that make me less of a man? Does that make me more of a girl? The answer to both is no. I am just me, as uniquely crafted as a fine gemstone, and that me has this wonderful gift -- the gift of being able to allow the girl within to live.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Nicole Erin
10-10-2008, 05:56 PM
People argue about what is "true" femininity or true beauty.
Fact is no one really knows cause look how much people argue about what "truely" makes a gender [any gender].
Every person lives as they see fit and has their own opinion.
You either like certain people or you do not.
My FTM friend, I know good and well he is GG but to me he is one of the guys. But that is just my opinion.

The only thing one can do is live their own life and not worry about how others live theirs. I see certain people in certain lights but I don't question why they live the way they do.

Passable or beautiful? I would take beautiful any day cause even if that beauty is only skin deep, people tend to take "the beautiful people" more serious. They already have a running start and don't have to prove themselves. God knows I ain't "beautiful" in any case or real passable but if given a choice....

charlie
10-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Hello Ivy!
You have written a thoughtful, well written post. It is sure to get lots of attention. First, I would want to be passable rather then the most beautiful. Being passable would take away the risk of getting hit by a non-tolerating yahoo on the street. Now for the post. You and I both know that women have different hands, feet, hips shoulders, skin, leg shape and fingers. They also possess different mannerisms that we CD's try to emulate; some do well some over act the mannerisms and some still just walk like men. I will agree that the figure of 100% of the CD/TG cannot be as feminine as any GG is a misnomer, however the vast majority of us do not come close.

valenstein
10-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Seven replies hmmm?

Sarah, I did write this with a lot of feeling. The GGs that have meant the most to me aren't supermodels and I felt like it needed to be said.

A few other thoughts:

If I wanted someone to show me how to do my makeup best, I would place a lot of value in asking Kevyn Aucoin (or reading his books, since he has passed). On the other hand, I would get more joy out of sharing that experience by asking my girlfriend. High value, two different genders.

I've made friends with people online without ever knowing their gender. I'll read a well done blog, and maybe I'll assign a "temporary gender" to that person, how I perceive the words they write as being male or female. One GG friend I know has a young daughter, my friend has only ever told her daughter that I'm Ivy, and her daughter accepts me that way. It's very special my friend sees me that way, to include me completely as female as far as her daughter is concerned.

To answer my own question, to be beautiful versus passable, I'll take beautiful. I'd rather be noticed positively for who I am. I certainly would like to pass enough to go ignored by those who might cause me harm, but not if it comes at the expense of me not being myself.