PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep your nails long?

jessica wai
10-11-2008, 03:58 AM
For those of you who are not 24/7 en femme, do you keep your nails long whilst in male mode? Having long nails could made one feel extremely feminine. Yet, it also intereferes greatly with one's male life. Its hard to do things as a guy with long nails in the hand. It is also quite uncomfortable to have long toe nails whilse wearing male shoes and doing sports etc. So, what's your views and solution to the question?:daydreaming:

Tracii G
10-11-2008, 04:12 AM
Mine are out to the ends of the fingers most of the time any longer and they get in the way.I do keep them trimmed and clean which got me a nice complement from one of the office ladies.

Rachel_CDS
10-11-2008, 04:12 AM
I would love to have long nails, but they either get broken or I chew them!

Why would it be a problem? Women manage to do other things with long nails. They also wear shoes & play sports too you know!

I think that it is just something you would get used to & do things in a slightly different way perhaps.

Amanda Shaft
10-11-2008, 04:29 AM
I wear my nails long currently they are about 3mm beyond the end of my finger tips (and painted a nice cerise colour for the weekend I might add) I don’t find they get in the way too much, in fact when I used to use false ones I found them much harder to adjust to. I guess that as they grow your mind has time to adjust to them being there or something. I must admit though in drab they do look even longer and very out of place but great when dressed and polished. It is upsetting when one gets broken though!
Amanda x

Gisele
10-11-2008, 04:44 AM
I do keep mine about 1/8 of an inch past my fingers. At times when getting longer I do use a clear coat on them.

They do get beaten up now and then as I work in an auto shop as a service writer. 2 of the girls I work with know that I have had clear coat polish on onw and then. I told them I have very weak nails and one time my DR. suggested that I had acrylcs (sp?) put on. They kinda giggled and went on with no ill comments. I have yet had any put on since I moved into the service writer position.

I am on a 9 day vacation right now and I am so wanting to have a set put on. I just can't decide.

vivianann
10-11-2008, 04:48 AM
I keep my nails long all the time even in male mode. I have always kept my nails long, cannot stand them to be short.

luvSophia
10-11-2008, 04:57 AM
I keep my fingernails out to the tips of my fingers and shaped. Toenails are just kept short. Other than keeping them clean I don't really have any problems with them. The only time I find that they get in the way is typing, being lousy at it anyway it just means I have to be more careful.

battybattybats
10-11-2008, 05:14 AM
Mine are kept long and painted (black most often but sometimes purple, silver, dark red blood red and even pink!) most of the time Occassionally with cute goth nail-art decals. Sometimes as much as half an inch longer than my fingertips. They are naturally strong so it's only when they get really long or I get unusually active that they break except for my right thumb which breaks often at one corner because of an old sword injury.

51% of the comments I get about them are ouright compliments, 48% are expressions of jeolousy and 1% are expressions of surprise. No disgust or bad reactions thus far and they've been long most of the time for over a decade and painted most of the time for years.

Keely
10-11-2008, 05:24 AM
I also keep mine with about 1/8" or a little longer of white showing. I usually wear clear matte polish. No comments from anyone.

kellylynn_31
10-11-2008, 05:25 AM
I have tried to keep them a little past the tips of my fingers but have the nasty habbit of chewing them. I do keep them shaped and buffed if I can manage to let them grow.

Jonianne
10-11-2008, 05:28 AM
I like to keep mine longer than I used to, (had to learn not to bite them) but not too long because they are strong enough that when I catch them on something it nearly takes the entire nail off the quick - Ouch!

_Cecilie_
10-11-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm trying to grow them, but always bite them. So now I try to keep clear polish on them to keep myself from destroying them. But that's hard among people :)

jackie_p
10-11-2008, 07:40 AM
I keep mine about 1/8 inch long and occasionally use clear polish.
I have yet to get a comment from anyone.

Jackie

TxKimberly
10-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Yes, mine are kept fairly long. I use my guitar playing as an excuse, which works fine until the day another guitar player calls me out on it. Long finger nails on the right hand helps with a guitar while long fingers on the left hand cripples your guitar playing.

morgan51
10-11-2008, 07:59 AM
i/4 past my fingertips 24/7 I work with my hands and break a few but just go weekly and have them filled and repaired, with time i got used to them and really enjoy them no negative comments at all about them I have them built up a little thicker so they hold up under the rough treatment I give them.

Rachel_CDS
10-11-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm trying to grow them, but always bite them. So now I try to keep clear polish on them to keep myself from destroying them. But that's hard among people :)

Hi Cecilie,

I use Sally Hansen nail biter liquid.

This is like a clear nail polish but tastes horrible when I try to chew my nails.

It gives a really nice shine & people have asked me why I am wearing nail polish.

I can tell them, honestly, that it is to stop me biting my nails. Not sure if they really believe me.

One girl in work has even offered to paint my nails when they have grown long enough! I hope she remembers & asks me again.

victoriamwilliams1
10-11-2008, 10:55 AM
I grow mine until they break and thats just a little past the tips of mt fingers. Only had one bad reaction from a businessman in a poorly fitted suit. I brook a nail this week on my thumb past the tip and I can not do some of the things I could before like open a DVD wrapper. I usually start growing my nails longer in October for the holidays in case I go to a Girls Night out.

For the most part I am seeing more men with nails longer than mine! and they are not TG I know one man who comes to our office about once every 2 years and the ladies at work said his nails looked better than theirs, I said to myself, I wish my wife would let me grow mine that long and have them manicured like his!

Jocelyn Renee
10-11-2008, 10:58 AM
My nails are generally about 1/8" past my fingertips and I always wear clear polish. People rarely comment on them save for an occasional compliment from a GG. You get used to them being longer and I don't have problems buttoning shirts, typing, etc.

Rachel Morley
10-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Mine are long in boy mode. They are between 1/8 and a 1/4 inch past my fingertips. I paint them shiny clear at work and in a color every weekend. Here's a pic of my "boy hands" :)

Katrina
10-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Rachel, I love the "boy hands". Nice touch - they look good though...

I was keeping mine long for a while. I didn't get any comments one way or the other - most people don't notice, or if they do notice, don't let on that they noticed. I just got irritated at having them long one day and started keeping them shorter. I was keeping them covered with a matte clear coat "for strength". I haven't even done that lately.

As for the toes, I can't stand when they get even remotely longish so I keep them pretty carefully trimmed. Of course, they are polished 24/7 with the exception of the 2.5 hours of yoga every week where I'd have to go barefoot in front of my entire yoga class. I have worn very subtle polish one day on them, but I haven't since. I really want to wear a bright pink some time, but the SO probably wouldn't like that.

Denise01
10-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I try to keep my nails from 1/8 to 1/4 inch past my finger tips, but every once in a while i do manage to break one.

The only comment that i have had, especially from GG's is How are you able to keep them that long, If I try that i will break them for sure.

When at home , I keep a clear coat of nail hardner on them, and that helps. I at times will often use a coat of what looks like a mother of pearl finish, on them and they will blend in wether in boy or girl mode.

Have also had comments from some ladies when i am out as Denise, as to how nice my nails look, and that i have nice long slender fingers.

When I am on Vacation, which will be next month, I will use either a nice red , or a skin tone that blends, in and compliments my other make up.

Looking forward to being Denise for a month, so that i can enjoy my long nails and the colour that will go with them

Denise
:):):)

Karren H
10-11-2008, 03:07 PM
I can't keep mine long without breaking so I resorted to the next best thing... stick-ons....

carhill2mn
10-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I wear gel nails and a nude polish all of the time. When I have just had them done at the salon, they are about 1/8" beyond tips of fingers. By the tme I have them done again they are about 1/4".

Sammy777
10-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Yes, mine are kept fairly long. I use my guitar playing as an excuse, which works fine until the day another guitar player calls me out on it. Long finger nails on the right hand helps with a guitar while long fingers on the left hand cripples your guitar playing.

OUT!! LOL
I play to, and yes they are not a problem on your strumming hand.
Longer nails don't work to well on the necks I like to play though.

Mine are behind/before my fingertips now =(.
But I had them about 1/8-3/16 inch past my fingers for a time.

_Cecilie_
10-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi Cecilie,

I use Sally Hansen nail biter liquid.

This is like a clear nail polish but tastes horrible when I try to chew my nails.

It gives a really nice shine & people have asked me why I am wearing nail polish.

I can tell them, honestly, that it is to stop me biting my nails. Not sure if they really believe me.

One girl in work has even offered to paint my nails when they have grown long enough! I hope she remembers & asks me again.

Thanks! But as long as I still have to excuse my shiny nails I can go with regular polish which keeps me from biting.

Nicole Erin
10-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't even bother with trying to keep mine nice or long.
My hands are probably my worst feature so I don't want to draw attention.
However on other people, long painted nails are nice.

joann426
10-11-2008, 10:11 PM
nice pic beth do like that white skirt way to go girl:)

Dawn Marie
10-11-2008, 10:12 PM
When I was younger and singe I had longer nails, about 1/4 inch beyound the tip. I kept them nice and neat and usually a clear coat while at work. I would get a few comments about them and I would just tell them that I like them long and I take care of them. Usually that was all that was said. I still love long nails but the wife badgers me when they even get a tad past the tip of my fingers, so I keep them cut. But I do miss my long nails and I never had a real problem working with them, except for the chemicals that I work with, I usually had to wear groves.

Schatten Lupus
10-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Since I play bass, and finger pick over using a pick, I don't think it would be possible without breaking my nails frequently.
I also have a habit of biting my nails. When I have polish on them though, as soon as my tooth feels the difference, I pull back before I bite though.

Diane Smith
10-12-2008, 12:17 AM
I wear quite long nails 24/7. They are between 5/8" and 3/4" past the fingertip, and are my natural nails with pink and white acrylic overlays. Like any girl with fancy nails, I have a standing appointment with my nail technician and go in for fills religiously every two weeks (just had one this morning). I wear a shiny clear gel coat over them at all times, but do not wear colored polish when I'm in boy mode at work Monday through Friday. I do wear color on the weekends most of the time (generally, dark reds).

Certainly, I do get comments when I show these nails in boy mode, but mostly they are compliments, or questions of the "how do you do that with those nails?" type. I can't tell you how many times GGs have said something like, "I've always wanted nails like yours but I can't grow them that long." Well, yes, you probably can! It just takes real dedication to learning how to work without breaking them, and consistent fills, repairs and care by a really good nail technician.

I've been wearing my nails long for about 11 years now, and I've been going to the same nail tech for about nine of those. I always go en femme to my appointments, and all the employees (and many of the other clients) at the salon know me well by now. I don't know, now, whether it's having the nails themselves, or the feminine experience of getting them cared for, that is more important to me! Pretty nails are an important part of feeling girly to me and I can't imagine being without them anymore.

- Diane

Veronica 1
10-12-2008, 10:11 AM
I try to keep my nails at least to the ends of my fingertips and they have clear polish on them during the week and colored on the weekends. Digging through bins of bolts is the curse of my nails. I always seem to break one when doing that at work.

jessica wai
10-12-2008, 08:03 PM
To keep my nails long technically is easy. There are three issues to deal with though.
1. If I have girly nails, I will need to have girly hand gestures all the time
2. The nails do get in the way with my work and my daily living
3. Most importantly, the nails are a constant reminder of my gender issues, that I am in an ambivalent gender status.

Should I keep them or cut them?

Caitlin Rose
10-13-2008, 03:45 AM
When I was working (typical cubicle job), I wore them about 1/8" to 1/4" past my fingertips, except for the thumbnails which were over 1/2."

Since I retired, they are in much worse shape due to the greater amount of gardening, basement and garage puttering etc.

It is going to take extra effort to keep them pretty now.

LindaTS
10-14-2008, 09:56 AM
I try to keep my nails about 1/4" to 1/2" longer than the tips of my fingers. They usually don't make it any longer because I tend to break a couple of them and have to cut them back. I get quite a bit of comments on them, mostly from GG's who really don't care for them. Oh well, too bad, it's my life.

Deanna2
10-14-2008, 09:48 PM
I wear my nails long. Currently they are about 3-5mm beyond the end of my finger tips. I generally wear a clear, wet gloss polish. I don't seem to have drawn any attention. The long nails don’t get in the way at all. The big problem is broken nails. I then usually have to trim the broken one right back and start again.

carolinewalker_2000
10-14-2008, 11:35 PM
I try to keep my nails long, but, as others have said, this can be difficult given the chores one has to do when in male mode. I wear gloves as often as is practicable and use a nail strengthening fluid.

Angie G
10-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Mine are not that long mostly to the end of my finger and away mate polished.
Angie

JamieTG
10-14-2008, 11:55 PM
I keep mine long all the time. I like getting compliments from ladies and many ask me my secret for growing them so long without breaking. I'm so used to them that they don't get in the way at all.

Ashlie Marie
10-15-2008, 07:47 PM
I get my nails done every 2 weeks with my wife we have been getting them doen for like 8 years way beofre cd'ing was even a thought in my mind. It has always been my epression form they are about 1/4" alwys since I type at all day at work. i got used them after about a year and I think i would feel so naked with out this week they are pink and green. they matched my Necies dress at her sweet 16 I dj'd the party and she wanted me to match hehe

Parse Leeve
10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
To keep my nails long technically is easy. There are three issues to deal with though.
3. Most importantly, the nails are a constant reminder of my gender issues, that I am in an ambivalent gender status.

Keep them Jessica. I am currently letting mine grow a bit.

jackie_p
10-15-2008, 09:15 PM

I say keep them Jessica. I know for me that the ambivalence won't
go away if I cut them short but they make me feel better when they
are long. I actually feel really bad when I have to trim them back. I'd
love to let them grow out much more. Someday maybe....

Jackie

Stormgirl
10-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Negative, I keep them very short and I have a habit where I tend to bite my nails. =\

Kathy4ever
10-16-2008, 05:36 AM
I want them longer but everytime they just get to a point I like my wife says you need to cut those things. I say yours is long and she will say so. I don't think it is right that girls get to have all the fun. Why can't we have fun and not seem weird.

Girdlewoman
10-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Hey,
Who makes matte clear nail polish. I keep mine long as well. I clear polish them too, but I would like to try the matte polish, but until today I wasn't aware of it. Thanks, Charlene

Tasha T
10-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Only in the past year have I experimented with growing my fingernails out a little. I get them to about an 1/8", maybe a tad longer, and then sure enough one of them will chip or split or I have to meet someone who I don't want asking me questions, and I file them back to regulation male length and start all over again. They seem to grow pretty quick so it's not a big deal. I had a bad habit of biting my nails my entire life until this experiment. I can honestly say I've finally broken the habit and no longer use anything except for a file to trim them down.

I've noticed that men are not too comfortable when they notice the length of my nails. One guy who was sitting near me, a big muscle guy I might add, looked at them and immediately started chewing down his own until there was practically nothing left of them. On another occasion, a guy observed me secretly filing them, got disgusted and moved as far away from me as possible. I really don't like appearing as a girly guy when I'm in male mode so when things like that happen I feel like a genetic freak...which I guess I am.

EnglishRose
10-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I always have long nails... today they're a deep red :D

This is the first time in a year that I've been dressed during the day, I have several hours to myself so I've done myself up.... first time wearing any color than black on my nails ever :)

DeeDeeB
10-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Usually 1/4 inch, sometimes to 3/8ths. When I break one, however, I trim them all back evenly and start over. Seems to keep them healthier. Sometimes a clear coat, and colored if I have a day or two where I'm not planning on going far. Toe nails are generally short ( I really don't need to make my toes appear longer), but often polished pink or red. I've never had a negative comment, but sometimes get compliments, especially by the young lady I buy nail polish from.

Dee :fairy1:

Magickman
10-17-2008, 10:14 AM
I have regular acrylic manicures, pedicures and brightly colored matching polish done at the nail salon. My nails are currently about 1/4" past the fingertips, with oval tips.

I get many compliments from women, about my nails, which are always well maintained. Generally, women are receptive to the idea, and men are usually silent about it.

On numerous occasions, women, who I did not know, have approached me to say that I have "beautiful" nails. That is an ego booster.

For manual work, I wear gloves, to protect the nails.

KandisTX
10-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I keep my nails well manicured, so I guess you could call them "long" if you wanted. My wife hates me for my nails because they are so strong and they grow so quickly. ;)

Kandis:love::rose2:

fay
10-17-2008, 02:48 PM
I have regular acrylic manicures with French tips and natural pedicures sometimes with a design or a colour or French.

My nails are currently about 1/4" past the fingertips, with oval tips though they were square prior to today, just fancied a change and wanted something more natural. I do now appreciate how aggravating it is when you break a nail and understand why that's a big deal to GGs.

Maybe it's the English reserve but (slightly annoyingly!) I get no compliments from women. One or two women stare at them with a radar lock and one gave me the look of death/complete revulsion.

But I don't really mind, I'm happy with them.

highheeledsissyboy
10-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I have a French manicure (over 1.5" long) 24/7 even when I am in boy mode.......had them that way since 2005.

Ms. Wanda
10-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Wow those are long....1.5".....I dont know how I would function. I have had mine close to 1/2" and it was still hard to get used to....but I must say I enjoyed them and the way it makes my hands look. Since I will be doing alot less work with my hands once school starts....maybe I'll have to grow them out again.

Diane Smith
10-19-2008, 04:06 PM
I have a French manicure (over 1.5" long) 24/7 even when I am in boy mode.......had them that way since 2005.

Love them! My nails look very similar to yours when in boy mode, just not quite as long. How do people react to them when you're not otherwise dressed?

- Diane

Christina Horton
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
hay girls I am a trucker and I keep my nailed panted 24/7 ever since aug 9when I went out for the frist time . I wrote about it here. My nails r bright red, so if u see a truck driver 250 bald long dangly ear rings , that's me. If u see a trucker that looks like that go up to him and say (you look like someone I know you could be her Brother ,her name is Christina. Do u know her .) And I will say yes she is my twin sister. Then we will know that we r both CD ers. LOL that won't happen but u never know. But that's my nail biting story LOL .huggs .

Daenna Paz
10-20-2008, 09:29 PM
nails about 1/8" past my fingertips with a matte finish polish for strength. No one seems to notice or care.:)

Daenna

Alex!
10-20-2008, 09:53 PM
No way. I glue them on while en femme and pop them off when I'm done playing Andrea. No trace of her is left when I am in male mode. The line is drawn very clearly for me.

Violetgray
10-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Wow.. There are some mathematicians on this thread.. 5/8ths, 1/8th, I can't for the life of me picture how long that is..

.. Then again, maybe its because of my own number allergy..

sweetjanine49
10-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Nails! I love it. I wear clear polish and get them manicured every two weeks or so. It is a treat. They do get noticed and my crossdressing is a secret so its such a thrill....janine

Diane Smith
10-21-2008, 03:11 AM
Wow.. There are some mathematicians on this thread.. 5/8ths, 1/8th, I can't for the life of me picture how long that is..

.. Then again, maybe its because of my own number allergy..

Not mathematicians.

Carpenters. :)

How about this: My nails are just about exactly the width of a nickel past my fingertips.

- Diane

Sweetcheeks Marie
10-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I keep my nails on my right hand long... I play guitar in a band in boy mode so I need my fretting (left) hand able to play properly. ;) Actually I play electric guitar with a plectrum so I needn't have long nails at all on my right hand, but the guitar playing gives me an excuse.

TV_Allie
10-21-2008, 09:48 PM
All you guitar players, I sympathize with you. About a year ago, I took up the pedal steel guitar, which you play with a slide in your left hand, where the long nails don't matter, and the long nails on the right work great instead of the metal picks many players use.
It's gotten me out of some questions from family members about the length of my nails..

girlystuff2008
10-21-2008, 10:09 PM
For those of you who are not 24/7 en femme, do you keep your nails long whilst in male mode? Having long nails could made one feel extremely feminine. Yet, it also intereferes greatly with one's male life. Its hard to do things as a guy with long nails in the hand. It is also quite uncomfortable to have long toe nails whilse wearing male shoes and doing sports etc. So, what's your views and solution to the question?:daydreaming:

I am learning to play guitar to have an excuse....

CD Susan
10-21-2008, 10:19 PM
I just love long fingernails! I keep mine about 3/16" to 1/4" past my finger tips. Heaven forbid that I would ever start biting them or chewing on them. I do not understand how people can do this. To protect my nails I use # 201 Nail Strengthener/Lengthener by Mega Last. I dries to a matte finish and helps to prevent chipping and spliting. I just love the look of long nails and take very good care of mine.