PDA

View Full Version : How has being cd/tg influenced your nurtured personality

Carin
10-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Granted that being transgendered is an inherent component of your personality. You might call that the nature part, or a natural influence, abstractedly defined as your femininity - I don't want to debate the natural influence here.

For most of my life, before and during my struggle with this part of me, I was shy, quiet and very introverted. I lacked self-confidence. In a room full of people, I wanted to be invisible. It occurs to me that a large part of my personality was repressed, hidden, left at the door, or maybe just stuck in a closet.

Since I crawled out from under that rock and learned to understand and accept this quality in me that is 'being transgendered', I see different aspects of my personality. I am more open and expressive, less afraid to engage in conversation. The confidence to go about my business in a very feminine presentation translates to a better level of self-confidence overall. Yes, there is an aspect of introducing the other half of me to the world, maybe the part of me that I like better than what I exposed and allowed to BE before. In the grand scale of my lifetime, this is only a recent development. Maybe it is temporary, maybe it is evolution, maybe it is the unlocking of previously stifled personal attributes.

When I reflect on my youth now, I recall more and more signs and clues of my feminine side, but because of the culture of the time none of these were given any importance, either by myself or by any one in my environment. My mother may have had a clue, but she struggled with her own demon - cancer - and passed when I was 16. The end result was that a potentially very expressive part of my personality was suppressed for many many years.

I can't help but wonder how different my personality would be now, had those traits been allowed to develop from my early years. I guess i am in a melancholy state this weekend, and reflecting on how much of life I missed because of a stifled personality, induced by cultural attitudes and ignorance of transgender.

So what do you think. Did being cd/tg and the cultural unacceptability of that influence your personality?

Sandra Dunn
10-12-2008, 09:18 PM
I know of many sisters that went through and are going through what you are talking about. For me I was able to supress it and do many other things. I don't consider myself an introvert, in fact I am out going. When I decided to embrace my female side I did go really slow, like several years. I purged a couple of times , had the anger issues and then I decided to rip the door off the closet and step out. Since that time the anger issue is way down and I am enoying being me. I have met a lot of new freinds. Many people have commented that I look very good and many see me as a woman. The biggest thing that helped me was accepting myself and having the attitudeof this is who I am , you deal with it.

angelfire
10-12-2008, 09:31 PM
For me, it has made me more open-minded and accepting of other people. I don't want to be judged because I'm different, which has made me realize it isn't right for me to judge others.

Jocelyn Renee
10-12-2008, 10:00 PM
I'd venture to guess that most all of our personalities are profoundly influenced by our dual natures and our need to have kept such a significant part of ourselves hidden for so long. Certainly you're entitled to a bit of sadness over the loss of time, but try not to dwell on it too long. You have a whole bunch of tomorrows ahead of you and the surprising magic they can bring.

Karren H
10-12-2008, 11:55 PM
I seriously don't know.. Since its all I've ever known... How would I know how my personaity would have turned out without it?