PDA

View Full Version : Being "read" because of height

DemonicDaughter
10-12-2008, 07:52 PM
As a taller GG myself (5' 8" in stockings but usually around 6'3" in my shoes), I can tell you, your height is NOT the thing that gives you away. Its how you act about it. Will you get noticed more? Well yeah! But that's part of the fun!

And here's why:

Tall Women Organization (http://www.tallwomen.org/)

Check out their model pages! Some absolutely GORGEOUS women out there that are well over 6' tall! Its about proportion, style and ATTITUDE!

OH! And they have a few links for clothes as well that you might want to check out! And as someone with legs over 3' long... extra tall pants are nearly impossible to find!

Have fun girls and don't worry about your height, worry about how to hold your head high and boast about being among some of these amazing (and some famous) ladies.

:love:

PS You can imagine what their shoe sizes are as well so stop worrying about that as well! It just provides the perfect reason to get those really nice heels you FINALLY found your size. :D

Nicole Erin
10-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Being 5'9", I don't worry about my height. I just don't think about it.

Beauty is not a height or weight anyways.

nikitataylor0210
10-12-2008, 08:39 PM
demonic daughter, i couldn't agree with you more... i stand 511 without heels, and I usually wear 4 to 4.5 inch heels...

Initially I always felt, oh my gawd someone is going to notice me cause of my height... but then, being in los angeles, there are so many tall girls who wear heels and no one notices anything out of the ordinary...

its how confident you are when walking, and i've practiced that day in and day out, to strut like i own the world! and its worked! :heehee:

linnea
10-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Thank you, DD. I agree that it's part of the fun--I'm just getting that idea. I'm 6'0'' and a little taller in any shoes. I don't usually wear any high heels, but I'm starting to feel more comfortable about being a tall girl. I went out today with my GG friend at a beauty parlor in a mall near here. When she suggested that we go get a cup of coffee after she did my makeup (she's great!), I was glad that she's fairly tall too, but I felt especially good that she gave pretty much the same advice that you did: stand up straight and walk tall with confidence.
We had a great time! And later I found some nice pants and a top, too.

Karren H
10-12-2008, 09:21 PM
I love being one of the taller girls in the department store.. 5' 9". Easier to spot the clerence racks!! :)

Alice Torn
10-12-2008, 09:44 PM
I don't see too many tall women, around this area, but once in a while do. I have two pairs of size 15 wide 3" heels, and one pair size 17 4" heels! The one time i went out all day, all dolled, i stuck out like a sore thumb, at 6 foot ten in heels! I had ok moments, and some embarrassing ones! I only had to use my voice once, in a store. I always wanted to find a tall woman, for a wife, but, have not found one that would give me a chance.

Genifer Teal
10-12-2008, 09:55 PM
So many things can give you away. Height is only one example. Walk is another. I've read a few of us before they even got close. Your walk doesn't have to be ultra femme. Anything less than manly will do. Somehow the brain computes quickly something is not right when what appears to be a woman approaching is walking like a man. You probably never thought much about how a man walks until you nitice it in a dress.

What I'm saying is that many things OTHER THAN HEIGHT can give you away much more easily. Height makes you stand out. What you do with it might get you read - or not. If you are tall like me you just got to WORK IT!

Gen

Paige.
10-12-2008, 10:13 PM
I agree completely with DD, Gen, and Wendy. Be proud of your height even if you are 5'2" or less. Either end of the height spectrum isn't a reason to be 'read'. If you are read, find out what it might be and work on the problem. You can't do much to change your height except perhaps leg surgery.

RBelmonte
10-12-2008, 10:20 PM
I've got a question, speaking on behalf of my fiance. He's trying to get into CD and is nervous and confused. I'm trying to help him out and brought him here, thinking that some cool people on here would be able to help him more than I could.

I saw this topic and thought it would be a good start after posting my own thread Here: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91826

He's 6'3" and we were wondering if you possibly had any advice for him.

LA CINDY LOVE
10-12-2008, 10:41 PM
I feel that it is not our height that gets use read, but the way that some of us with height carry our self.

We act self confidence about our height when out in and about and people pick that up and wonder what is up with that woman.

LA CINDY LOVE

Inachis
10-12-2008, 10:48 PM
I've been worried for many years about the whole height thing. It's been one of my several hangups, and I am trying to get past them all. Just a couple of days ago I saw thins beautiful woman who was taller than I. (I am 6'5") It really made me think about going out dressed again. maybe at some point I can pass:daydreaming:

Dita_B
10-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I am tall, and I pass most of the time, and it is all in the attitude...

If you carry yourself with pride, people have no problem accepting you... They even admire you because of your height...

I am 6' 2" tall and I normally wear 4" heels... and I love it...

:love:Dita.

Maddie22
10-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Thanks DD...that is a great website, thanks for sharing. I'm 6'6'' and trust me when I feel like I don't pass at all. But after seeing all those tall models, I think eventually (with a bit more time and practice) I could pass.

MJ
10-13-2008, 03:15 AM
hey I'm your height dd. could be your size too :D hmm can i come over :hugs:

DemonicDaughter
10-13-2008, 09:12 AM
I've got a question, speaking on behalf of my fiance. He's trying to get into CD and is nervous and confused. I'm trying to help him out and brought him here, thinking that some cool people on here would be able to help him more than I could.

I saw this topic and thought it would be a good start after posting my own thread Here: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91826

He's 6'3" and we were wondering if you possibly had any advice for him.

If you don't mind, I'd like to answer in a private message so not to take my own thread off topic! LOL!

hey I'm your height dd. could be your size too :D hmm can i come over :hugs:

Of course you can! After I deadbolt all the closets, install a security alarm on them and get a few guard dogs. :D

fluffy_kingston
10-13-2008, 10:15 AM
I think my height hurts my passability. I'm 6'. There are not a lot of gg's that height.

Veronica27
10-13-2008, 10:16 AM
In a perfect world, passing would be irrelevant (at least from our standpoint). However, the world sure isn't perfect, so passing takes on an importance of its own, depending upon who we are, where we are and so on.

Passing can have numerous meanings, so we have to know what type of passing we are referring to in any discussion of same. At one extreme, being able to function in public freely, regardless of who notices us or what they may be thinking is a form of passing. At the other extreme, being able to circulate among others without the question of our real sex or gender entering anyone's mind is a form of passing that is close to an impossibility. A variation of this latter definition would be the situation we used to see on the old daytime talk shows, where people would be asked to guess which ones of about 10 models were men and which were women. The question was put to them without any real reason for it to arise other than the theme of the show.

The point I am making above, is that anything that might raise a question in someone's mind as to our real sex/gender would tend to take us from the latter extreme above to the former one. It then becomes a case of whether or not it matters to us if others can tell. In this context, height is one of the major factors that might raise a question. Certainly, there are many tall women, however, their number as a percentage of the total drops off rapidly once you pass about 5'10" or more. As I am 6' 3", this is a factor of which I am particularly conscious, and I seldom see a woman taller than about 5' 10" at my local, often crowded mall.

While I agree with all the comments about attitude, comfort etc. playing a large role in passing, to me the importance of height depends upon the degree of passibility we are seeking, and anyone my height dressed as a female, would certainly be noticed and thus raise questions in the mind of the beholder, no matter how well we carry off the various tricks to passing. Those questions might not necessarily be about crossdressing initially, but they could certainly lead in that direction.

Veronica

Monica_Cobblestone
10-13-2008, 10:38 AM
5' 8" isn't that tall...thats like avg. female height. Either way just because you tall doesn't make you ugly or anything in that realm. Tyra is like 5' 11" and she is one hot mama.:D I love Tyra!

DemonicDaughter
10-13-2008, 11:45 AM
I think my height hurts my passability. I'm 6'. There are not a lot of gg's that height.

I'm not saying you wouldn't be noticed more because of it, but I'm saying that its not impossible for very tall women to look beautiful and not be mistaken for a man.

The point I am making above, is that anything that might raise a question in someone's mind as to our real sex/gender would tend to take us from the latter extreme above to the former one. It then becomes a case of whether or not it matters to us if others can tell. In this context, height is one of the major factors that might raise a question. Certainly, there are many tall women, however, their number as a percentage of the total drops off rapidly once you pass about 5'10" or more. As I am 6' 3", this is a factor of which I am particularly conscious, and I seldom see a woman taller than about 5' 10" at my local, often crowded mall.

While I agree with all the comments about attitude, comfort etc. playing a large role in passing, to me the importance of height depends upon the degree of passibility we are seeking, and anyone my height dressed as a female, would certainly be noticed and thus raise questions in the mind of the beholder, no matter how well we carry off the various tricks to passing. Those questions might not necessarily be about crossdressing initially, but they could certainly lead in that direction.

Veronica

I agree that height is going to make someone question another's gender. I think that's true for both very tall women and very short men. But I think what makes the biggest difference is one's reaction to that question. Yes, you're height will make you more noticeable. BUT the point of my post is, its not impossible for a woman to be tall and it shouldn't play as much of a factor in someone's concept of passing. Those women, having their gender questioned (I'm sure) wouldn't react the same as someone who IS of a different gender dressing as a female. And that's really a key point.

5' 8" isn't that tall...thats like avg. female height. Either way just because you tall doesn't make you ugly or anything in that realm. Tyra is like 5' 11" and she is one hot mama.:D I love Tyra!

I agree, Tyra is gorgeous! But the average height of American women is 5'5". The average world wide height is 5'3". The height of the average American male is 6'. The average world wide is 5'8". (World wide statistics credit the height difference to the Asian countries.) In models' standards, I'm pretty short. But walking around in public, I'm a few inches taller in sneakers than most women I know when they are wearing heels. Forget it when I'm in heels! :heehee: But I love being tall, so there's no worries. :D

Niya W
10-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Come out to nor cal. I cant tell you how ,many women I've seen that are 5'10. Its some thing in the water.

DemonicDaughter
10-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Come out to nor cal. I cant tell you how ,many women I've seen that are 5'10. Its some thing in the water.

We're working our way there. :D Though I admit... I really like being tall so maybe I won't hang out with too many tall GGs. :heehee:

Niya W
10-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Well if you come out to SF bay I can show how innocent I really am. Good angel. I always feel so short among the other girls. 5'6"

Darlene Dippy
10-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Maths aint my strong point DD but thats 7 inch heels!

Do you need oxygen at that altitude?:)

Nicole Erin
10-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Maths aint my strong point DD but thats 7 inch heels!

I noticed that too :heehee: I was just kinda afraid to say anything.

Julogden
10-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi DD,

Well, there's tall and then there's TALL. And yes, there are GG's out there who are TALL too, but they are usually proportioned in a manner that is typically female, we tall TG's are usually not, so if we want to pass, the cards are heavily stacked against us. I speak from extensive experience at 6'5" in my bare feet. We can fool a few of the people some of the time (it helps if they're been drinking to excess), but never many of the people, as the extreme height draws attention and extra scrutiny, and the extra scrutiny part is where it usually falls apart.

That said, I think the question to ask is, should we be concerned about passing? In theory, it's better to NOT pass, as it shows the cisgendered public that we are just people and nothing to be feared. If we all pass flawlessly, then no one knows we exist among them. It's better to be accepted for who we are than for who we have tricked people into thinking we are.

You mentioned that very tall females who have their gender questioned might react differently then we TG males might, well yeah, because they know in their hearts that they're not trying to "fool" anyone, they are female after all.

An example: One time I was out in front of my apartment talking to a GG friend who was 6'4" when some idiot in the park across the street spied her and yelled "That's a man", to which she turned and responded with a one-fingered salute and yelled F**k you!", quieted him right down, wish I'd had the nerve to respond like that when I was out dressed and got a less-than-polite reaction from others.

If this isn't making sense, I'll blame it on my daily after-lunch glass of tawny port I just finished (hic). :-)

Carol:hugs:

TommiTN
10-13-2008, 01:43 PM
"I think the question to ask is, should we be concerned about passing? In theory, it's better to NOT pass, as it shows the cisgendered public that we are just people and nothing to be feared. If we all pass flawlessly, then no one knows we exist among them. It's better to be accepted for who we are than for who we have tricked people into thinking we are."

Exactly!

DemonicDaughter
10-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Yes, those are 7 inch heels! :heehee: I don't think I own heels less than 4 inches to be honest.

Secondly...

Should you care about passing? No.

Do people care about passing? Obviously.

The point of this thread? To try to help ease that anxiety about being tall.

Tis all. :love:

Sally24
10-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm surprised a how many tall girls I see at clubs and just around the city in general. I have a sister in-law who is taller and bigger than I am. At 6' and 155lbs I feel I'm to scale for a tall GG. I'm working on the waist to try to improve that too.

If all else is pretty good than a little height won't ruin your chances for passing, just for going unnoticed!:battingeyelashes:

Schatten Lupus
10-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Myself, I am 6'6''. I am not too worried about height. I even use to work with a girl (gg) who was a few inches taller than me. My worries though, is my larger, bulkier frame (which I have come to worry less as I try on different types of women's clothing.), and the walk.

Nicki B
10-13-2008, 05:31 PM
As a taller GG myself (5' 8" in stockings but usually around 6'3" in my shoes),

Short a**e. ;)

Teri Jean
10-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Fluffy, I disagree about not may gg over 6ft. Check out your nearest university or college and you will notice a lot of women over 6-2". Be happy for your hieght. I wish I was shorter but when you realize the company you are keeping ,WOW. Go for it girl and have fun. Hugs:-) Keli

DemonicDaughter
10-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Short a**e. ;)

Yeah yeah yeah :P

I know and if I could be taller, I'd be happier. :)

CD Susan
10-13-2008, 08:53 PM
I am 6'1" and always considered myself tall. After reading this thread I am starting to feel short. Thanks girls.

Janet Bern
10-14-2008, 07:58 AM
It was only recently that at 6' 3, I got the courage to dress enfemme and join society in malls and restaurants. I guess it is because there are so many tall woman in society that I am not even given a second glance
Janet

Lanky
10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the link to www.tallwomen.org. I know several tall GGs, and I've always thought it a shame they are embarrassed about their height when it's a delightful quality in them. After all, the grass is always greener on the other side. I wish I was short so I could pass more easily, but lots of average GGs would like to be taller.

I'm 6'3" and I always assumed that it would be an insurmountable barrier to passing as a female. Now I'm reassured that it isn't impossible. In my favour, I'm veeeeery slightly built, so at least I don't need to hide butch shoulders and legs. :battingeyelashes:
Mind you, being a white European in Malaysia, there would be little prospect of just blending in anyway -- that's a false hope.

I'm just getting started in CD (well, if you don't count decades of denial :D) -- this forum with all its helpful people is going to be a huge help. Thanks girls!

Genifer Teal
10-15-2008, 03:57 PM
And yes, there are GG's out there who are TALL too, but they are usually proportioned in a manner that is typically female, we tall TG's are usually not. . .An example: One time I was out in front of my apartment talking to a GG friend who was 6'4" when some idiot in the park across the street spied her and yelled "That's a man!"
Carol:hugs:

OK you've confused me. First you elude to the fact that men are built difdferently (than women) - so a tall man would not look much like a GG. How so?

Then you give an example how your tall female friend was mistaken for a man. So while we are not built like her , she might be built like us?

Have you woken up yet? Had your breakfast? lol

Gen

Julogden
10-15-2008, 05:30 PM
OK you've confused me. First you elude to the fact that men are built difdferently (than women) - so a tall man would not look much like a GG. How so?

Then you give an example how your tall female friend was mistaken for a man. So while we are not built like her , she might be built like us?

Have you woken up yet? Had your breakfast? lol

Gen

I didn't say that a tall male looks any more or less female than any other male, I was saying that extreme height in a woman (or CD) attracts extra attention. A CD who is of normal height has a much better chance of blending in and being ignored as most people are busy with daily life and aren't really looking at the people around them, but an extremely tall CD will catch their eye and invites closer scrutiny, as there is obviously something very different there, and that extra attention makes it significantly harder for very tall CD's to pass.

And no, my tall friend was not built like a male, she was just very tall, and that was enough to spur some idiot into acting up.

Anyway, I think you're misunderstanding something in my original posting, read it again dear. My posting makes sense when you don't take the beginning and end out of context.

Carol

BeckiB
10-16-2008, 07:00 PM
At 6' 1" I am one of the tall girls. I don't think that height alone gives me away but the rest of my body doesn't help. I have wide shoulders, big hands and manly features on my face. There is also the dreaded guy walk although my wife as pretty much got me out of that habit. I know I am going to get read...I just don't worry about it anymore. I try to project a very confident, feminine image. I try to do my makeup the very best I can and dress appropiately. I know people are going to say "look at that guy"...I just want them to say "look at that guy...he makes a pretty good looking woman!"

Just my thoughts but it works for me

divamissz
10-16-2008, 07:45 PM
I am six feet, two inches tall. Or as a friend likes to say, five foot fourteen. And I am not a small-bodied person (though it surprises people to know how much I do weigh). So I am going to be noticed, no matter what. And you know, I'm fine with that...

I just try to be the best Zelda I can be.

DemonicDaughter
10-16-2008, 08:07 PM
At 6' 1" I am one of the tall girls. I don't think that height alone gives me away but the rest of my body doesn't help. I have wide shoulders, big hands and manly features on my face. There is also the dreaded guy walk although my wife as pretty much got me out of that habit. I know I am going to get read...I just don't worry about it anymore. I try to project a very confident, feminine image. I try to do my makeup the very best I can and dress appropiately. I know people are going to say "look at that guy"...I just want them to say "look at that guy...he makes a pretty good looking woman!"

Just my thoughts but it works for me

I am six feet, two inches tall. Or as a friend likes to say, five foot fourteen. And I am not a small-bodied person (though it surprises people to know how much I do weigh). So I am going to be noticed, no matter what. And you know, I'm fine with that...

I just try to be the best Zelda I can be.

And THAT'S the best attitude to have! :D Both you ladies obviously are just enjoying life and that's a beautiful thing

:love:

BWOemerger
10-17-2008, 12:48 AM

That is exactly how I feel at 6'4" and 200 lbs I just hope that they think it is classy enough

femw/i
10-17-2008, 02:41 AM
Thanks I really needed to read this thrend and comments. This is exactly why I wanted to join this site.
I am 6' and large frame. I alway knew that I would never pass. That is what is stopping me from trying.
I think that all of you who go against that have much courage and that is what I am looking for.
Thanks again.

Emily Anderson
10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Funny! Today I stepped out of a store, and there was a tall woman, around 6ft 2in, standing there on the pavement chatting with a person I'm guessing was her mother (they looked alike).

Was I taken aback? Sure, I'm not used to seeing women who are taller than me (I'm 6ft). Did I think she might have been a crossdresser? Sure, because I am one myself, and I often ask myself that question when confronted with such a situation. Plus, she was poorly dressed and not particularly pretty. But was she or wasn't she? Probably not.

Oh, I missed the point :-) The point is that what I was thinking is irrelevant, to her at least.