PDA

View Full Version : Got called "sir" today...

Abraxas
07-07-2004, 11:39 PM
I've had a real shitty month, to start off with. I hit a deer in my car last night and was in a really bad mood today. I went with my friend to an amusement park. I was standing in line with my friends and smoking (we were at the back of the line, not even in the gates) and this guy turns around and barks at me: "Sir, you need to put that out. No smoking in line".
If I wasn't in such a bad mood and he hadn't been acting like such a prick (he was outwardly sort of polite but I could tell he was being a *******), I would've been thrilled.
So I said, sort of under my breath, "**** that, I'll go over here," after glaring icily at him for several seconds. Then I walked off and finished my cigarette.
Anyway, I probably overreacted but it just pissed me off (as I was already feeling like shit). Anyway... Thought I'd share...

Abraxas
07-08-2004, 05:31 PM
I know... But he was just really mean about it. If he'd been polite I wouldn't have cared (probably). He was just... Really condescending. Being 18 I hate when people are condescending just because I'm a teenager. I'm extremely responsible, don't cause trouble, etc. And they just assume cos I'm younger than them they can talk down to me. And I was in a bad mood anyway. So I see the fallacy in what I was doing (although it was open air and was windy...) but he was a real ******* about it. It's not like I was breathing in his face; I was about 15 feet away from him.

Dallas
07-09-2004, 04:16 AM
Was it a shock to you? I remember the first time I was addressed as a 'Sir' I looked around to see who they were talking to. Fortunately I wasn't 'dressed' and trying to pass. :D

Rachel_740
07-09-2004, 09:42 AM
It's not like I was breathing in his face; I was about 15 feet away from him.

Abraxas,

I'm a non-smoker, and I was driving home a couple of weeks ago. I had a car pull out some distance in front of me and it had the drivers window open about 3 inches. For the next 1 1/2 miles, all I could smell was cigarette smoke. Don't get me wrong here, I'm very much live & let live, and I'm not trying to defend this guys actions, I wasn't there so I can't comment. I work in a factory where smoking is only permitted in one room, and I will happily sit in there chatting with my mate while he smokes. Generally cigarette smoke doesn't bother me at all.

The point I am making here is that although you were 15 feet away and it was windy, the smoke could have still be carrying straight to this guy.

Having said all that, the guy was obviously a bit over the top with his reaction. (Just a thought, sometimes if a guy has a problem with another guy he will be far more 'in your face' than he would be if he had a problem with a girl).

Abraxas
07-09-2004, 07:53 PM
I was slightly shocked but not really. I've had people think I was a boy my entire life, up until the past few years. But now that I'm actually trying to get people to think of me as male I'm a bit insecure. I was more miffed than shocked.
Yeah, I understand people not liking smoke, but ya know... It's legal and I'm allowed to smoke where I want to (just not in the queues).

On another note, I got called "bud" and "young man" today. So that was great.

Rachel_740
07-10-2004, 12:45 AM
Hi Abraxas,

I hope you don't think I was getting at you in my post, I was just putting a different point of view. I'm very much live & let live.

Anyway, it's great that you were called bud & young man today. Must have made you feel on top of the world.

Abraxas
07-10-2004, 01:27 AM
Not at all. I understood what you were getting at.
I think it's just all these Mormons, who are the polar opposite of live and let live (at least, here in Utah). Nothing against the Mormons in general; some of them are very relaxed and groovy. This guy (whether he was mormon I couldn't be sure) was definitely not relaxed and groovy.

Yes, it did feel quite good. I wasn't even consciously trying to pass. Hadn't bound or anything (I was doing work lifting lots of heavy boxes and thought it wouldn't be wise)... So it was quite cool :)

Dallas
07-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Well you must know that you truely passed. Had he known you are a gg he would either have toned it down or gotten in your face about it. so Congratulations are in order!

Abraxas
07-14-2004, 10:17 PM
:-D
Thanks!
Well, in 2 days I'm gonna go all out, see what happens. Still a bit apprehensive about using the mens' toilets... But I suppose I'll get along okay.