PDA

View Full Version : First time REALLY shopping

DanaNewGirl
10-16-2008, 06:38 PM
While my wife is away, I've had some time to play. Buoyed by all the information here I became a little (a lot) bolder than I ever have before.

What made a big difference for me was the information that many stores didn't care if you tried something on or not. A dollar is a dollar. As I have an amble figure (woman's 24) and after reading the many responses about other shopping experiences I made an outing (in drab) to Lane Bryant. My only purchase was a bra, but I was able to try it on. I've had bras before and generally knew my size, but to try one on before buying... What a feeling of empowerment!

Encouraged by my success there I went to a place here in Dallas called 7th Avenue. I don't think that it is connected to Avenue retail stores, but they have many plus sizes. I asked to try something on and they were fine with it. I didn't like anything but felt obliged to buy something so a got a dress the SA had shown me.

Next door was a shoe store, an outlet of some sort and I thought what the heck, and found a decent pair of shoes. Only a small heel though.

Thanks for listening. I'll try to update my new adventures.

Kayla_CD
10-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Awesome! It feels so good to shop and try things and come to good decisions instead of ordering online and crossing your fingers.

Way to go!

divamissz
10-16-2008, 07:50 PM
It sounds like you had a great day! Where is 7th Avenue and the shoe store you went to?

mykhelee
10-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Glad you had a good experience. I am learning where the "friendly" shops are since I became braver about my purchases.
Sally Beauty Supply has been by far the best.

marny
10-16-2008, 10:34 PM
go girl!!!

Pattie O
10-16-2008, 11:17 PM
I tried on some high heels at Spendless shoes and the SA was lovely.She was very helpful and helped me with choosing the colour to match my new outfit(which I unfortunately had to describe to her as I was in drab) That did not seem to matter and she even said that I had purchased a really good pair of shoes that were worth more than what I paid.That made me feel better and so now I have my own high heels that are new and not from a thrift store and I wont be purging these!I also bought a an evening bag ,bracelet and ring and some nail polish from a lovely SA who chatted to me about my choices and complimented me for having some courage to be out shopping.

Pattie O;:o

beenherelongtime
10-16-2008, 11:49 PM
I shopped often at Lane Bryant and Avenue and always found the SA's helpful and never did they question me when I wanted to try something on.
I also received help at some of the upscale stores, I can't recall the name of one of them but it will come to me. As you found out, if you are not embarrassed to ask, they are happy to accommadate you.

CalvinKlein
10-17-2008, 04:49 AM
I recently tried on a babydoll and bustier at VS - it was also my very first time trying anything on at the store. I'm excited to go to H&M today and buy a dress I saw there to wear for a Halloween party on Saturday. It feels good to go out and shop without the anxiety and fear we had earlier in our experiences.

Mollyanne
10-17-2008, 05:53 AM
HA, The pink fog is about to strike!!!!! The most ominous thing about the "pink fog" is the shopping elation and the "damage" to the credit card or check book, but what the h**l gir, go and enjoy!!!!!

:love: Mollyanne

misspatty
10-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Lane Bryant is a very friendly place to shop for us girls. I went last week and the lady offered me a dressing room without my asking and helped me find some right fit jeans to try. At the check out, she told me to shop there anytime and to ask for her.

Patty

priscellia
10-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Dear DeanaNewGirl,
It must have been a most uplifting experience especially trying on your bra.
I find it most important to try on high heels to ensure that they are not too narrow Good Luck, Priscellia

Angie G
10-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Way to go Dana you'll be shopping all the time now wait and see.:hugs:
Angie

DanaNewGirl
10-17-2008, 04:19 PM
I went out again today, this time to the AVENUE and to CATHERINES. I asked if I could try some things on and at the AVENUE they were fine with it, helped me to find what I wanted and made suggestions. I bought a side zip pair of black dress pants, a black pencil skirt and a pink sweater. I also tried on and bought a pair of black heels. They feel terrific.

At CATHERINES the SA was reluctant to let me try things on, only because they have a law suit pending against them when a woman got bent out of shape at a male using the dressing rooms. The SA was helping me select a blouse and another pair of slacks and thought this was totally unfair and finally decided to let me use her office to try some things on. There are some nice people out there who are not judgmental.

This is pretty exciting stuff. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can work up enough courage to buy some breast forms.

Wish me luck.

Dana

pamela_a
10-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Great for you Dana. The first place I ever tried anything on was also a bra at Lane Bryant; they continue to be one of my favorite places to shop. Enjoy and shop till you drop, or at least until your credit cards give out. :)

-Paula-

DanaNewGirl
10-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi divamissz,

Sorry I took so long to answer, but I had to do some research. The name of the store is 7th AVENUE PLUS SIZE OUTLET at 1505 Wycliff. The clothes are mostly pants suits or skirt suits. Suit outfits don't generally fit me because top to bottom I'm two different sizes.

The shoe store is next door. What I liked about the shoe store is that the shoes are grouped by sizes, so if you know your approximate size you can see what they have in that size. No problem about trying things on. They have up to size 13.

Dana

Sam44
10-21-2008, 03:30 AM
I still remember one of my early experiences at Lane Bryant.

I was shopping for thongs and a SA asked if I was sure that my wife liked wearing thongs since some people don't. When I said I was sure it wouldn't be a problem the SA picked up a particular one and said it was great to wear and that that's what she was wearing at the time. She then did a slow 360 turn so I could see how her bottom looked! I didn't quite know what to think, but it's still one of my favorite styles :)

Paula Siemen
10-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks for finding 7th Ave.+Size for me. I've shopped there many times, but not for a while. It was one of the first places I found to go out infem in Dallas. I've tried many items on there and actually bought two evening gowns there, which I then wore to a couple of MCDC meetings. They used to be in the outlet shopping center on Inwood, but closed there and I have not found them since. Thanks again for the location. They are definitely on my list to go shop. Maybe I'll see you there.

Or possibly you could e-mail me and we could meet (only if you feel comfortable). I don't want to be pushy.

Paula Siemen

Angel.Marie76
10-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Glad to hear that you've had good experiences at some stores lately! :) My GF and I went to the mall this past weekend, and her and I spent some time in Target, Payless, and a few other stores while I tried on different sets fo heels and boots, and while a little nervous I would have to say that the woman who was trying to help me find an 11w in the boots (@ Payless) I wanted seemed like she had a genuine smile on her face the whole time. I was in drab then.. I would count that as a positive success!