PDA

View Full Version : What does "it's your business" really mean?

Nicole Erin
10-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Variations of that response is the one I get most often when I tell someone I CD. Sure some seem interested and others just look uncomfortable but normally it is "What you do in your private life is your own business."

What does this really mean? Is it a tolerance, acceptance, or an unacceptance but they know they can't really do anything about it?

What do you think?

PamelaTX
10-18-2008, 09:42 AM
To me it says that this is something the person doesn't really care for, but they don't believe that it would be appropriate for them to comment on it, or that they are simply not interested in discussing it.

TommiTN
10-18-2008, 09:47 AM
"What does this really mean? Is it a tolerance, acceptance, or an unacceptance but they know they can't really do anything about it?"

It can mean any or all of the above depending on the individual making the comment. Without conversing with them to draw them out further you'll never know. Is what they think that important?

Anastacia_Sandria
10-18-2008, 09:54 AM
To me, a response like that indicates that they're probably uncomfortable with it, but they respect others enough to not make negative comments or try to point out the "error" of your ways. Which is good, because the last thing any of us needs is an earful about how we're going to hell or some crap like that >.<

Bethany38
10-18-2008, 10:07 AM
I agree w/Tammi & Pamela. In order to really understand what they are meaning though you really do need more information. However, I try to listen to people not anly what they are saying but, how they are saying it. I don't know about anyone else here but, when I am listening to someone I take into account the their body language and the reflection and tones of their voice to try to gain more insight as to what they are really thinking. I have done this as long as I can remember. I think I get this from my Mom whom is always trying to get as much info from a conversation as possible. Especially from new peoplr in our lives or people we are trying to understand more. I don't know if this helps you any just my :2c: worth.

Bethany

serinalynn
10-18-2008, 10:39 AM
WHen I put on women's clothing and go out, I really don't care what other people think. Most aare to wrapped up in their own affairs than to worry about you. I do wear as much as I can and lots of times in broad daylite and every one can see how i'am dressed. It's my way of doing what I like. I like walking into womens clothing stores and looking and trying things on. I even walked out of fittting rooms when other men were shopping with there wives and not raised a stare from them. Lots of the women shoppers just take it in stride as well.

kimmy p
10-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Variations of that response is the one I get most often when I tell someone I CD. Sure some seem interested and others just look uncomfortable but normally it is "What you do in your private life is your own business."

What does this really mean? Is it a tolerance, acceptance, or an unacceptance but they know they can't really do anything about it?

What do you think?

When I tell someone that what they do in their private life is their own business I mean it literally. Whether I agree with what they revealed to me or not, it's none of my (or anyone elses) business. As long as no one is getting hurt, and it doesn't interfere with your work, why should it bother me?

Jessicaparkson
10-18-2008, 11:21 AM
My grandfather (who I live with) said nearly that same thing when I told him. He was more shocked that I told him. "I just don't see why you told me something that's private to you." was what he said. He still doesn't really accept it.

2B Natasha
10-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I think, like a couple of others, that you left out half of the question. That would be the how it came up.
Otherwise, I think it's just a polite response to an awkward question. Once again, how did the subject come up? Where you waxing on about how well you shaved your legs that morning? Where you playing spin the bottle and you had to tell something about yourself that no one knew, or at least you didn't think they knew. Would you rather they say " Good on you " " I so proud of you " " Way to go " " And your telling me this because you want me to do something? "

Other then that I just take it as indifference to and they have no opinion.

Ruth
10-18-2008, 03:50 PM
I think it's a form of words that loosely translates as: "I don't want to get into a discussion about this."
This could be for one or more of several reasons, such as, 'I disapprove but I don't want to confront you', 'I simply don't understand what this is about', or just 'I'm not interested in what you get up to when I'm not around'.
Whatever the precise meaning, I think it means you are not going to have a deep discussion about the CDing condition with that person.

Jonianne
10-18-2008, 04:09 PM
I would take it as tolerance and not a negative response unless their demeanor indicates otherwise. I think most people consider crossdressing as someones' private business and do not really want or need to know any further details. Which I think is appropriate.

Maria2222
10-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Perhaps they're politely acknowledging that it's your life and they have no right to try to assert any control over it or to try to direct you.

mykhelee
10-18-2008, 08:11 PM
I find they usually mean..I don't want to know

Kate Simmons
10-19-2008, 02:34 AM
I think it's kind of a half hearted, non commital response like shrugging their shoulders and saying:"Okay, whatever floats your boat." Don't be fooled though, people do stop, look and listen. If they observe me long enough, they will realize that I'm dead serious about who I am and what I do and that I can have fun and enjoy being who I am along the way.:)

Lisa Golightly
10-19-2008, 04:47 AM
It means... 'Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww struck by lightning, struck by lightning!!!'

Annie D
10-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Are they saying, "keep your CD'ing private" and I don't want to see you enfemme or are they saying, " if you are out publically and I see you enfemme, it won't bother me"?

Our own business, is our own business, whether it is public or private. What people have to understand is that no matter how we are dressed or how we present ourselves or whatever our sexual orientation, it is our business and if they are so paranoid or afraid to be seen with us or be known as an acquaintance that is their problem not ours. In addtion to the obvious hardships that we face and carry, I really don't want to burdened with someone else's as well.

I had to take off my heels to get up on my soapbox, sorry! Let me climb down and put them back on because I'm on my way out to shop.

Angie G
10-20-2008, 08:45 AM
:hugs:They don't want to talk or know of it. or just what it is your business.:hugs:
Angie

Sally2005
10-20-2008, 10:13 AM
It means they don't want to know about how you keep your books, what issues or discoveries you have made. They respect you for being your own CEO, but they don't want you to offer them shares in your company.

Sam44
10-20-2008, 08:47 PM
It might be a cultural or regional thing. Both of my bothers first responses were essentially that. The one I'm closer to has talked to me a lot about it over time, sometimes curious, sometimes just checking to see how I'm doing, ... The other hasn't brought it up again, but I get the feeling that he meant it literally: he doesn't really care about it one way or the other, it's my business. For example if he were concerned he probably would have said something about me crossdressing in front of his kids (7th and 9th grades at the time) or asked how to explain it to them or whatever. In fact as I look back at it I think he was more amused by me feeling that I explicitly had to say something than anything else. After all surely his wife and kids had noticed my bra in the past when hugging me.

darla_g
10-20-2008, 09:16 PM
i read that as tolerance too

Sammy777
10-21-2008, 01:05 AM
It means they don't want to know about how you keep your books, what issues or discoveries you have made. They respect you for being your own CEO, but they don't want you to offer them shares in your company.

I really liked this response.

It's your business
[As a response to crossdressing or dating a loser]
You have already made up your mind to keep doing whatever your doing.
Me approving of it or not is a mute point because I know nothing I do or say is going to change your mind.

It's none of my business
[As a response to crossdressing or cheating]
Thanks for sharing, but whatever you do in your life is your business & I'm not going to judge you either way regardless of if I approve or not.

Nicole Erin
10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Well the last lady who told me this was someone at work. She kind of asked me about it saying "your condition" HAHAHAHHA I told her "Yes I am a CD" and she just said that "well it's your business what you do..." but the past couple days we have spoke a bit about it and were comparing notes on makeup and stuff. She is like late 40's and really cool yet mature. One of the few bosses at work who I respect as a person and not just a boss [tho she is not technically *my* boss but kinda...
So I guess she meant "Whatever you do is cool and I am not judging you for it".

Ummm yeah, like, go company or something... go the extra mile, think outside the box, Synergy... corporate ladder, gossip by the water cooler...

Am I even close?