PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing makes you more tolerant?

Clara
10-20-2008, 01:20 PM
I've noticed that after finding my female side I'm slowly becoming more tolerant and less judgmental. Today, I've seen a rather big woman in her 40s dressed like a cute highschool student (complete with pigtails). Before, as a guy strictly, I'd think: “That looks awful on her, she really shouldn't wear this”. Today, I was like: “Well, if it makes her happy and she wants to wear it, why not. Good for her.”

This is just an example. I truly feel that in general I'm becoming more accepting of people and the way they are.

Nicole Erin
10-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Umm actually with some people's horrid fashions, it still bothers me.
Overweight people do not need to wear certain things.

And serious tho? a 40's woman, dressed like a school girl? I tell ya what you spotted was a passable CD.

Tomara
10-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi Clara
I have felt the same since I accepted my feminine side , my therapist and I have talked about theses feelings and she thinks it is partly because of the fact that we want people to be accepting of us even if we are not perfect , so we in turn are more accepting of people we might have judged for the way they were dressed or the way they looked.
It is kind of a lesson in do not judge someone until you walk in there shoes. ( whether they are heels or work boots )
For me it has been a very positive attitude change and it does come back full circle , like the song says , You only get what you give .
:) Tomara

TommiTN
10-20-2008, 01:49 PM
In general I agree. I have become less of a hard ass and am more tolerant of the foibles of others since I accepted myself. However, I find I have become more critical of fashion than I was before as I've really started noticing how women dress. I see plenty of faux pas where I live. This is not to say I haven't committed a few myself. :o

pickles
10-20-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm just like "well, whatever" now after I've been out shopping and people don't seem to give a f*ck that you're buying women's clothes.

fluffy_kingston
10-20-2008, 01:52 PM
I agree with Tomara. It is our desire for acceptance that drives our acceptance of others.

Joanne f
10-20-2008, 02:36 PM
As far as i can remember i have always been a tolerant person and i have always admired people who are different to the norm .

joanne :fairy2:

JoanFlores
10-20-2008, 02:50 PM
I find that I am more more acceptant than my SO,She gets upset and I am more forgiving with the same situation.

Marissa Mae
10-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Oh my, completely more tolerant than I used to be. Coming from the military, and on top of that small town mid-west, being homo-sexual or a transgendered person, was frowned upon. And not only that, of course you have the run-of-the-mill insults and derogatory sayings, and after a while you get brainwashed by it. I thought of anyone who was non-heterosexual as "gross" and "weird". But my how that perception changed when I came to accept myself as a CD'er; I look back and feel ashamed of how I thought and acted at times, and am at the same time proud that I have risen above the close minded-ness. I feel more at peace with myself now, and happy that I can talk to someone as they are, and not as how I feel that they should or shouldn't be.

Sarah89
10-20-2008, 03:31 PM
I would'nt say primaraly crossdressing made me more tolerant,
But i wouldnt be doing the crossdressing if i wasnt tolerant before hand.
The thing that did make me more tolerant was the discovery of "lust" , then thats when you realise that some people don't have control over their tastes and desires, so I learned to keep an open mind about everything.
and that open mind is what let me onto dressing.

Deborah Jane
10-20-2008, 04:13 PM
I don,t think i,ve ever really been in a postion where i couldn,t be tolerant of other people considering i,m a crossdresser!

Vicki65
10-20-2008, 04:14 PM
I know where you're coming from.

I mentioned a few days ago that I spent a while driving in stiletto boots, and I found I was much more tolerant of other road users and more courteous.

I dont think this is because I was in heels and being more careful as I'm quite practiced at driving in stilettos, and from a car handling point of view, the same as when I wear trainers. BUT, I think because I felt more relaxed (my female side) I was more laid-back and considerate.

Its cool when YOU know you're wearing the sexiest leg hugging black leather boots while you're driving, but the people in the car next to you dont have a clue! :D

Kate Simmons
10-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Yup, being intolerant is a complete waste of energy in my opinion.:)

Toni_Lynn
10-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't say that crossdressing makes one more tolerant, because I for one know of some (not anyone here!) who are right equine backsides when it comes to certain topics such as religion.

That said, I have always been tolerant since I was a child. It seems that my more gentle nature seems to go hand-in-hand with being a crossdresser! In fact, I'd dare to say that if I wasn't a crossdresser, given my nature, I should be!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Kayla_CD
10-20-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm extremely accepting and non-judgemental since starting CDing. But I think it all comes to us in little pieces. For example, when a friend of mine came out after high school I became very aware of my passive aggressive gay bashing and made a conscious effort to improve my language.

Kimberly Marie Kelly
10-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Since my crossdressing has become more of my life and since I started going to some Renaissance meetings, I have become more tolerant of what other people do, especially when it comes to TG issues.

Also, since finding out my daughter is bisexual I have found that I can love and accept gay people, more so than I could have in the past. Maybe it may have to do with my kids accepting me as Kimberly and my sisters on this site accepting me that has made me more accepting and tolerant of others. I guess it is me growing and maturing. :battingeyelashes:

Sam44
10-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Tho I would have thought that anyone in a minority class would be more tolerant of others, I think people are people.

A gay friend of mine once asked me how I could stand to be so "big". He said he couldn't live with himself if he were as fat as I was. About an hour after he said that I sort of wished I would have replied "I couldn't live with my self if I were as gay as you are." But in reality I was glad that that answer hadn't come to mind in time: I might have really hurt his feelings.

I am sort of disappointed that people think that bigger people shouldn't wear certain things. If such sentiments were worded more carefully: like "each of us have clothes that look better or worse on us..." I might be less disappointed, but the logical extension of "bigger people shouldn't wear certain clothes" is that since I have a beard I shouldn't wear anything feminine... I reject that point of view so (at least to me) this requires that I not judge other people's choices...

sterling12
10-20-2008, 08:38 PM
If you learn to accept yourself for being different, (and eventually we will all have to do that) how could you not become more tolerant of other's who are different?

Just kind of common sense isn't it?

Peace and Love, Joanie

darla_g
10-20-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't know if tolerant is the word i would use, maybe understanding is better. Dressing is one component, but hanging out on a woman's Makeup board probably has more effect.

docrobbysherry
10-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Except for those weird, kreepy pervs that wear ladies clothes! For some odd reason, I've come to think of them as pretty "normal"!:hugs:

Joy Carter
10-20-2008, 10:54 PM
I was pretty tolerant before I started. Just putting on women's or men's clothes, doesn't make change the way you are.