PDA

View Full Version : Firearms

Crissy Kay
10-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi all, I would just like to ask you guys if any of you do any target shooting? I just got my firearms license, and am planning on buying my first gun. I am on the small side for a GM, 5/4, 143lbs. Any advice would be helpfull. I posted in the another section of the forums and got a lot of good advice and comments from gun owning cds. I would be thankfull for any advice.

Chloe' Buffington
10-21-2008, 12:39 PM
what is the main purpose for the gun.
their are many calibers so to answer that question will influance your choice.

if it is for carry the you must also concider conceilabilty, smaller frame people should carry smaller guns so they don't show through clothing.

Area of use must be conciedered as well, get enough gun for the job, rural areas require a more powerfull gun, you may have to stop a mtn. lion or bear.

stopping power, what are you most likely to be shooting at, paper targets need less stopping power than a bear does.

Good luck and if it is for personal defence then I humbly offer this prayer, May you always be safe in all you do, may the day never come when its you or them , may you always be prepaired if it does, for it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Chloe'

Felix
10-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi Hun well can't help much here as it's not my thing that sort of thng frightens the life out of me to be honest but Im sure there will be someone here who knows something. Felix

Abraxas
10-22-2008, 03:18 AM
Sorry, all I know about guns is how to disarm someone who's pointing a gun with a slide at me (a Glock, for instance), at close range, haha!

Then again, I've heard Glocks are good guns for people who don't have much experience shooting, or are of small stature. But certainly don't take my word on it!

waspookie6
10-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Handgun and Rifle owner for life, love to go to the range.
The best thing to do is go to a range that rents out guns so you can try various types. Kick, weight, grip, those make a huge difference when chosing a firearm before buying.

I have larger hands than most GG's so I always have to buy a standard or longer butt than the ones that are designed for smaller hands. You want to be able to grip properly for control and aim or it won't do any good. Weight is a factor - it will either feel right or it won't just holding it but you may try to fire off a few rounds of one that may feel a bit too heavy and find it's just right.

Glock's are okay but they tend to jam which is why I don't keep one for first line protection. A .38 special standard grip suits me fine, is light enough to carry on person and not too large. If I can't stop someone in three pulls then I'm not doing it right.

Another good thing is to take any classes offered by gun ranges. You learn a ton of information including state laws for ownership. Guns are about stopping power, not killing someone. They also teach about which hand guns are best for just range fun and will show you how to pull a trigger (there really is an art to it) so you have a good day with money well spent on renting a booth. Once you chose a specific type they will have taught you how to clean any firearm which is very important.

Good luck and have fun!

Sally24
10-22-2008, 05:45 AM
If you ever get up to NH there is a good gun range up there that lets you rent anything from a 9mm, 50cal, right up to an automatic MP5! That way you get a feel for how it fits and fires in your hand. If you're small, inexperienced and probably only going to own 1 gun I would go with a 9mm.

http://www.gunsnh.com/range.php

Karen__Starr
10-22-2008, 06:57 AM
I am a firearms instructor and the best advice is to seek out an instructor who knows how to properly fit a handgun to you. A proper fit means the trigger finger is positioned correctly, which in turn allows the gun to shoot straight. If the firearm does not align with the bones of the forearm then the firearm is not right for you. Be aware that firearm stores are there to make sales and will try to sell based on price many times. In regards to caliber if you are taught correctly this does not matter in regards to kick. Take a 5’0” person in the right shooting stance and they can handle any caliber but the wrong stance will push them down to a very small caliber. If you find a 9mm that fits and feels right then go that direction, no different than if a .45ACP handgun feels right. Most females I take to the range gravitate towards a 1911 style handgun and I have troubles getting them to stop shooting. Take your time and do not rush the purchase is best.

Glock, Kimber, S&W are some names to look at. Be aware that Glocks are made for average to bigger than average size hands. The S&W M&P is an excellent handgun to look at in 40 caliber. Oh, in revolvers know that the lighter 38 specials can hurt the hand even with good techniques.

Hope this helps

Sammy777
10-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi all, I would just like to ask you guys if any of you do any target shooting? I just got my firearms license, and am planning on buying my first gun. I am on the small side for a GM, 5/4, 143lbs.

Sorry if parts of this will seem over simple,
But I don't know how much you do or don't know about guns.

Some more info would really help.
There are other factors besides your size and experience that will narrow down what is best for you.

What is the gun going to be used for:
1) Personal target shooting?
2) Competition shooting?
3) Home/Personal defense?
3) Or a combination of the above?

Do you have a preference between the two basic types:
1) The 6 shooter / Wheel gun [double action]
2) The Slide action / Automatics [single or double action]

Do you want or need a single or double action trigger.
Single action generally means you have to manually pull the hammer back each time in order to fire the gun.
Double action generally means once you pull the hammer back you will not have to do it again to re-fire the gun.

The caliber of the gun is basically the size of the bullet it fires.
Deciding on what caliber to buy depends on what you want to use it for.

It is better to buy a caliber you can slightly grow into [get more comfortable with] rather then buying one you will quickly grow out of.

There are other things to factor in but this is a good start.

Wendy me
10-22-2008, 07:28 AM
walks in looks around ...... wtf is wrong with you people have you got anal cranium inversion????? this thread was for the guys to answer ......... note to self must make new member smart enough to read from now on..................

Crissy Kay
10-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks all of you for all your comments and suggestions. While I have made no decision yet on what to buy, I will think about what everyone has said. Thanks again

Cai
10-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Sorry, all I know about guns is how to disarm someone who's pointing a gun with a slide at me (a Glock, for instance), at close range, haha!

Same. I know how to take a weapon off someone else, but I don't do anything else.

I'd like to learn to shoot, sometime. But at the same time, guns do scare me, a lot. It's way too easy to hurt/kill yourself or someone close by without meaning to.

DanielMacBride
10-22-2008, 01:06 PM
The idea of handguns just makes me shudder. My sole experience with guns is being taught as a kid in the wheatbelt here to shoot rabbits, foxes, feral goats and the occasional grey kangaroo with a .22 rifle, culling them with my father and my uncle on my uncle's farm. I loved it because I am a crack shot - although these days I wouldn't shoot an animal unless I had to put it down, if I use a firearm it is wholly and solely for target shooting. Aside from the fact that our gun laws here mean that it is very difficult to own a firearm and that here you are not permitted to carry them on your person unless you are in a profession that requires the use of a firearm (eg, police/security or a farmer), I just don't see the need to possess one, and to do so would kind of contradict my nonviolent way of life ;)

GypsyKaren
10-23-2008, 12:52 PM
walks in looks around ...... wtf is wrong with you people have you got anal cranium inversion????? this thread was for the guys to answer ......... note to self must make new member smart enough to read from now on..................

I guess some people can't read, I'm now deleting and giving infractions...no more warnings!

Karen Starlene :star:

Abraxas
10-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Same. I know how to take a weapon off someone else, but I don't do anything else.

I'd like to learn to shoot, sometime. But at the same time, guns do scare me, a lot. It's way too easy to hurt/kill yourself or someone close by without meaning to.

Yip. My friend Jay, the guy who taught me how to disarm, is somewhat of a gun expert; was trained in the Marines. His gun had a misfire and almost took his wife's head off at a party. Even if I trusted myself fully, guns are too unreliable. You never know when the safety is going to fail or whatever.