PDA

View Full Version : Biggotry

Delila
10-22-2008, 01:48 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but there seems to be a sudden increase in transgender biggotry at least in the US. I am a frequent web surfer and freaquently read comments on public sites there has been a larger number of people slinging religiously based slurs at anyone that may be transgendered or gay. I am wondering if there is going to be a resurge of TG and CD discrmimination from all off the current tension in the world since it seems to be the easiest place for these wackos to attack.

Jamie S.
10-22-2008, 01:57 AM
The biggotry has always been there, but alot of factors have given it more of a credibility in the last decade or so. The surge in popularity of evangelical and fundamentalist everything, right wing commentators like Rush Limbaugh, and god knows how many other factors. More and more, there are bigots gaining popularity and credibility on national forums. Closet bigots hear these morons spouting their nonsense and see it as their chance to be what they are: bigots.

The fact is, the bigots have always been there, they're just now more vocal since the world has lately been leaning towards more conservative beliefs lately. Fortunately there are people calling these bigots out and fighting them all the way.

Andrea85
10-22-2008, 02:10 AM
The biggotry has always been there, but alot of factors have given it more of a credibility in the last decade or so. The surge in popularity of evangelical and fundamentalist everything, right wing commentators like Rush Limbaugh, and god knows how many other factors. More and more, there are bigots gaining popularity and credibility on national forums. Closet bigots hear these morons spouting their nonsense and see it as their chance to be what they are: bigots.

The fact is, the bigots have always been there, they're just now more vocal since the world has lately been leaning towards more conservative beliefs lately. Fortunately there are people calling these bigots out and fighting them all the way.

I'm glad people like that are around. I know all ablout the bigots. I live close to the foothills of the Appalachia Mtns. in a Bible Belt town, so I see it alot unfortunately.

Tasha McIntyre
10-22-2008, 02:17 AM
I never go out in public, so I wouldn't know personally but I think that there always have been and always will be closed minded knuckle draggers willing to have a go.

My belief is that the people that have a go at us, will also have a go at anything and everything that doesn't fit into their strict and narrow definitions of "normal"

Ballerina
10-22-2008, 02:42 AM
Ugh! Biggots disgust me... They tend to care little for no one but themselves (sometimes even their own niche)... Hopefully that it's just a fad that will die down soon. Especially since I find that it mainly resides in the older generations that were raised in the 50's lifestyle.

I live by one rule, and one rule only, "respect all, but fear no one".

Jessicaparkson
10-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Here in WA I usually don't see a lot of bigotry but I was brought up in Georgia and Arkansas (which I'll deny the legacy to my grave, no offense no any southerners) so I know it exists. In regards to political party. I've seen both liberal and conservatives rag and tag on TG/gay/CD...nothing new there. Hypocrisy in politics fails to surprise me anymore. As for religion. I've found that once you get people to think about it they are far more accepting. This has only applied to CDing so far though, as homosexuality is distinctly spoken against in the Bible. I've talked to quite a few pastors, a few of which are very highly respected and extremely well versed, and all have been very understanding and have not been judgmental at all. They say as long as I'm happy with who God made me as then it isn't a sin.

Whether you're a democrat, republican, libertarian, baptist, catholic, southerner, northerner, old or young the end word is that people are people and they will react and think as they want and as they see fit. Do not take a single person's bigotry to represent an entire community's views.

battybattybats
10-22-2008, 03:41 AM
This has only applied to CDing so far though, as homosexuality is distinctly spoken against in the Bible.

Actually depending on translation they are much the same as there is Old Testament stuff against crossdressing as well as homosexuality, eating shellfish and wearing blended fibres!

Of course a lot changes with translation and interpretation. Some say the crossdressing rule is realy about military uniforms. One biblical scholar even claims Joseph's Beautiful coat was womens clothing! Some have interpreted Jesus' sermon on marriage as actually supporting transgender and even gay marriage! (based on the word generaly translated as Eunach having the meaning in biblical times of gay and crossdresser as well as castrated person!)

For some reason, and one I've never heard a good explanation for, a lot of folk have big issues about homosexuality when there are much more common things much more heavilly condemned in the Old and New testaments.

And while conservative political groups are thought to be more likely to publicly speak against and vote against GLBTQI etc issues nonetheless there are lots of gay and transgender et al conservatives. Hopefully they'll start to speak out more and get more support for those issues from their parties as has started to happen in some countries, even Australia where the current leader of the conservatives has substantially changed the parities position on gay issues.

deja true
10-22-2008, 06:07 AM
Your'e hearing and reading more bigotted opinion because the paths of public communication are now open to everyone. Every twit with an opinion has his own website, searches out others and links to them and then comments in every forum they can find.

But, by the same token, you can also see a lot more opinion from other quarters as well. Even the smallest of small town papers can run a story on transgender issues and have both pro and anti-trans commentary follow it.

If the bigots and rude boys have the guts to post their opinions, so should we. The intra-webs are as anonymous for us as they are for the witless yobbos that like to stir up so much bile. We may never change their opinions, but it behooves (love that word!) us to defend ourselves and our allies.

(And too, keep in mind that G and L and B and T and Q matters have actually progressed in the public arenas despite the last 8 years of "official" bigotry and ignorance! I'll see your GWB and raise you a Tyra and an Oprah! You lose! )

Miss Tessa
10-22-2008, 06:19 AM
It is very saddening that we are the last "group" of people to be accepted by society.

Even homosexuality is more accepted than TG people

However, on TV there are more mainstream shows with TS and Drag Queens on it looking either Very Passable or Genuinely Cool as ordinary people.

And the World Wide Web is making transgenderism more understood.Especially by men who see a gorgeous face or body on a site like MySpace and read that she's a TS or CD or TV or DQ and do a bit of research or chatting and become better informed thus accepting us a little more.

deja true
10-22-2008, 06:30 AM
It is very saddening that we are the last "group" of people to be accepted by society.

Oh we're by no means the last Tessa!

There'll always be somebody for the haters to hate. In the 50's and 60's, it was them dang coloreds trying to convince us that they were equal...

Then it was them dang hippies tellin' us to love one another...

Then those cursed queers maintaining that all people were equal in the eyes of the Lord...

Recently them pesky Latinos have been tryin' to outbreed us and become the majority...

Now you crazy sex-changer weirdos are tellin' us that it's okay to be what you weren't born as ...

The small-minded and small-spirited are forever with us, darlin'...

And when we fight against bigotry and hatred for one group, we just chop off one of the heads of the many headed monster. Plenty more to come...

melissacd
10-22-2008, 06:57 AM
Just focus on the positive aspects of who we are and what we do and forget about the rest. There will always be differences of opinion and in some cases the expressions of those differences can be quite extreme. This is something that is completely out of our control. All we can control is ourselves, how we react, how we carry ourselves in the world, how we project ourselves to others. Can a friendly smile, a kind demeanor and a positive message. Show yourself with confidence. This is what I do and things are just fine.

Huggs
Melissa

erickka
10-22-2008, 07:04 AM
I too know all about bigotry. I live in a rural area of southern middle Tennessee, and those bible thumpers try to spout off their nonsense at anyone who will listen. It isn't only them, but also the mindset of the populus in general in this area, or for that matter, any more rural area in the U.S. They seem to have their way seeing things, and that is the only way they know how to see it.

kimmy p
10-22-2008, 09:49 AM
It's a election year, and while bigotry always exists, the holy rollers tend to come to the forefront during a election year in order to try and keep us twisted, sick, perverts in our rightful place at the bottom of the 9th level of hell.:brolleyes:
People just need to live and let live. I wish that they would concern themselves about their own soul and let me worry about mine.

Edit: After writing the above I must admit that most of what I see in the media is due to all the initiatives to ban Gay marriage around the country. I guess I tend to tie it all together. SAME SEX MARRIAGE? LET THE GAYS GET MARRIED AND THEY'LL FIND OUT IT'S ALL THE SAME SEX ALL THE TIME!

Karren H
10-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Isn't hating Bigots for what they believe in make us a Bigot of sorts? Hahaha.

Welcome to the real world...

I'm not seeing any increase in that around here.. I've always been treated with courtisy and respect when out enfemme.. The same as I treat everyone else... But the world is full of people that hate lots of different things.. Why should we be different??

I hate people that drive Chevy Trucks since I drive a Ford... Ohhh. And I hate guys with baggy pants that let their boxer shorts show!! God I really hate them!!! I could get a real hate-a-thon going here... :D

mykhelee
10-22-2008, 10:31 AM
I agree with Karren, don't hate someone because of what they were taught to believe.
They discriminate against us because they still can. If you speak ill of gays and lesbians the PC police will hammer you. If speak ill of the jewish or muslim faith the PC police will hammer you. I am a Pagan who happens to CD, I have no protection of religion under federal guidelines because I do not belong to the church of Wicca.
The haters have us to hammer on, I have gay friends who are aghast that I CD. We belong to one of a few groups that it is ok to bash.
Stand Tall, Stand Strong, even if only to us we belong.

Vivian Best
10-22-2008, 10:54 AM
I guess I must live in a vacuum because I'm not seeing the bigots and Bible thumpers yelling and preaching hate the trans-gendered! I'll admit I'm not the most read person around but I do attend church regularly and I've not witnessed any of the things mentioned in my church or our national organization. I'm sure there are some individuals that do harbor those feelings and feel we are doomed to hell because we are made the way we are but it must be covert because it isn't overt. One other thing, so far as I know cross-dressing is mentioned one time in the Old Testament and is not mentioned in the New Testament and I also have heard that in the overall context of the passage it is a prohibition of men dressing as women to be able to stay out of the Israeli armed service. Another thing, it always been my understanding that the mention of Eunuch meant neither male or female. Several that commented earlier are correct in that the Bible specifically condemns homosexuality. I have a nephew that is a homosexual and that caused me to change my view of that subject. I do not understand what made him homosexual anymore than I understand what made me what I am. I don't condemn him for being what he is nor do I condemn myself for being what I am. Sooo, let'um rip, rant, rage all they want to, it isn't going to change me!

Helen2407
10-22-2008, 11:38 AM
I am pleased to say that long ago I curtailed any connection with religion . I had for many years done voluntary work for the church , always there when they needed me and never refusing their call ..even when it was a the last thing I wished to do at that time.
I never disclosed my dressing to the church and hid it from them , but I realised that in the bibles eyes I was a sinner and in my eyes the bible then meant nothing to me.

Their are more bigots on their knees on a sunday behind church doors than anywhere else.

sterling12
10-22-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm kind of thinking like Kimmy. I also think that A lot of The Fundies are feeling particularly defensive right now. They sense that there may be some HUGE changes with The Election coming up, and they are not going to be happy with the results. That could/has make them more vocal and perhaps it will amplify a lot of their bigotry's.

Now that's just conjecture, I'm not inside these people's heads and who can imagine what their thinking really is. I do know that The "why's" probably aren't that important.

What is important is that we folks on the other side present a reasonable, measured, response to all of this bigotry. Even if there is a huge change in government, the hatred, the bigotry, isn't going to go away. We need to be there to confront it, to deny it, and if need be, to actively fight it!

Gurls, be careful in the first few weeks after The Election. Some folks are going to be mighty angry that they lost. If they imagine that we might have been one of The Instruments of their loses, they might turn ugly and violent. I'm not saying it will happen, I would just keep it in mind when you are out in public.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Jess_cd32
10-22-2008, 01:37 PM
.......I hate people that drive Chevy Trucks since I drive a Ford...... :D

Karren, ummm, can you make an exception there for me? I really do luv your sense of humor, your posts etc... wadda ya say hon?:heehee:

As far as the religious folks throwing stones and making judgements, their refered to as "hypocrites" in their own right if they truley believed in the Bible they quote from and what it has to say about them doing such acts.

Diane CHILDS
10-22-2008, 04:02 PM
IMO there is very little bigotry against CD's TV's and TG's in the UK...... some people may snigger but there is very little bigotry or hate.

We have become a very secular society. I believe there is probably more bigotry against people holding strong religious beliefs especially strong Christian belief..... those who wear their "faith on their sleeve," evangelicals, and born again Christians are often ridiculed as "superstitious nutters".

Because of the politically correct brigade, a similar type of bigotry is not openly displayed towards other faiths ..... ridiculing Christianity is acceptable but ridiculing Islam is not. :eek:

I know more TG people in the UK, who ridicule Christians and others with faith, than Christians who have an issue with TG folk ...... this makes me sad. :sad:

PamelaTX
10-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Isn't hating Bigots for what they believe in make us a Bigot of sorts? Hahaha.

Yes, it does. No smiley face, no hahaha.

Hating anyone is evil.
And that's just the way it is, ladies.

During his farewell remarks to his staff, President Nixon said the most presidential thing of his entire career. (I don't remember his exact words, so I'm paraphrasing a bit.)

"As you go through your life, people may hate you. But they can't hurt you unless you hate them back. And then the hate will destroy you."

Perhaps the knuckle-draggers you complain about can be convinced to change their minds if you approach them with love and respect. But I'm pretty sure they won't change their minds if you spew their own hate back at them. All that will do is validate their reasons for hating you.

I wish each of you all the love in the world.

curiouslooker
10-22-2008, 04:37 PM

I'm not going to try and take control or move this thread away from its original posting but Rush Limbaugh is not a bigot. Nor am I and I listen to him daily. I think I am reading that you are automatically saying that because I listen to "right wing" commentators that I am a bigot.

Please, correct me if I am reading your post wrong. Because if I am not then you are a bigot.

Schatten Lupus
10-22-2008, 04:39 PM
I've heard in some places, bigotry isn't too bad, while in some places it is very bad.
Personally, I believe the GLBT group just needs a person who is endowed with a silver tongue to help fight the way towards equality and "mainstream" freedoms. Even after such an event, the bigotry will still be there, and always will be, but as time passes, acceptance will be more and more common.

curiouslooker
10-22-2008, 04:41 PM
SAME SEX MARRIAGE? LET THE GAYS GET MARRIED AND THEY'LL FIND OUT IT'S ALL THE SAME SEX ALL THE TIME!

I agree. Let the "gays" get married. Why should we hetero people be the only ones that are miserable. :)

Jilmac
10-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Delila, Bigotry is born of ignorance and intolerance. I seriously doubt any of us will be going to the hot place for the clothes we choose to wear. Crossdressing is niether a crime or a sin. I consider it eccentric and if that's cause for bigotry, then stripping to the waist at a football game in subzero weather should be too.:slap:

LA CINDY LOVE
10-22-2008, 05:05 PM
I have seen bigotry in drab and drag and the one thing that they all have in common and hate is when..............you stand your ground and show no fear.

LA CINDY LOVE

Kimmie
10-22-2008, 05:59 PM
uh girls....hating the haters further perpetuate the circle of bigotry.

Diane CHILDS
10-22-2008, 06:29 PM
I agree. Let the "gays" get married. Why should we hetero people be the only ones that are miserable. :)

Gays do get "married" over here.

Gay marriage is no big deal but gay divorce is.

If you thought hetero divorce was a spiteful nasty $$$$ making industry ..... just wait until you find out about gay divorce. :devil:

Jamie S.
10-22-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm not going to try and take control or move this thread away from its original posting but Rush Limbaugh is not a bigot. Nor am I and I listen to him daily. I think I am reading that you are automatically saying that because I listen to "right wing" commentators that I am a bigot.

Please, correct me if I am reading your post wrong. Because if I am not then you are a bigot.

Listening to Right-wing commentators doesn't make you a bigot. It's what you take from them and your own character that determines that. I'm 23 and in my short life I've heard Limbaugh berate drug abusers while he himself was abusing illegally obtained meds and spew thinly (and not so thinly) veiled racist comments. It took me all of 2 minutes to find these:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/limbaugh.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiLVTzljOjA

So to answer your question, no I do not think you're a bigot. I don't know you, I don't know what you believe in or don't believe in. All I'm saying is that commentators like limbaugh (and some left wingers too, but not nearly as much as the crazier right wing ones like Anne Coulter or insensitive as Limbaugh) consistantly spout intolerant comments that are detrimental to many sexes, races, and religious beliefs. Conservatism isn't a bad thing, it's when people try to use it against others who they don't like or understand that I find it problematic. My problem isn't specifically with Limbaugh, it's with segments of the populace embracing intolerant tendencies from whomever their talking heads, religious leaders, etc. are. By allowing comments like these to slip by without calling them on it, we indirectly tell them that "it's ok, you can get away with this." By allowing this to happen society sees this intolerance as being acceptable behavior.

Anywho, I don't want to steer this towards a political discussion, it wasn't my intention to and I apologize for that. It wasn't my intention to insult anyone here, I was merely citing an example of a media figure who I've known to spout intolerance or at least condescension towards segments of the population. I'd be a fool to assume that everyone who listens to any given commentator agrees 100% with them. I love watching Countdown with Keith Olbermann, even if I find him a bit exagerrated and pious at times and yet I also watch Bill O' Reilly when the repeat airs later that night, even though I find him to also be beligerant and crass.

Simply put, my point is that we have to hold people accountable. You should be free to say what you want, but you also have to be willing to accept the repercussions of your comments if they are inflammatory.

curiouslooker
10-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Well, I'll tell you. Limbaugh hasn't been funny since he got off drugs. :0)

curiouslooker
10-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Gays do get "married" over here.

Gay marriage is no big deal but gay divorce is.

If you thought hetero divorce was a spiteful nasty $$$$ making industry ..... just wait until you find out about gay divorce. :devil:

Oh, Gay divorce.

I wonder if that is the same as a "happy divorce". :):heehee:

sherib
10-22-2008, 08:33 PM
One of the major causes of increase bigotry, higher crime rate and suicides is the decline of the economy. The FBI many years ago has documented increases in these areas with high unempolyment.

mykhelee
10-22-2008, 08:37 PM
It always amazes me how many people will rush,(no pun intended), to the defense of people who blatantly lie, many times because they do not see it for what it is. There is no instant fact check. Many of us will believe what we want to and not dig any deeper for we simply don't want to know.
The left wing radio and media tends to use humor to get it's point across. The right tends to use hatred and fear. There is an awful lot of fudging of the facts on all sides.
Concerning what is and isn't a sin...that really depends on where you learn, especially what part of the country you are in.

Babette
10-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't know if anyone could accurately assess the current level of bigotry in any form for any geographic region. Is bigotry against CDs increasing? I certainly hope not.

Bigotry is such an ugly attribute expressed by the human kind. I have often wondered what prompts anyone to express bigoted comments or actions. Then again, I wonder how many people would deny an element of bigotry in their personalities, yet they would have some form prejudice whether it be racial, religious, ethnic, or lifestyle.

Do you suppose some people have bigoted tendencies due to their insecurities or fear of difference, or is it just plain ignorance about someone else's lifestyle?

Babette

battybattybats
10-22-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't know if anyone could accurately assess the current level of bigotry in any form for any geographic region. Is bigotry against CDs increasing? I certainly hope not.

You can measure bigotry motivated crime though. Some places law enforcemnt organisations do this, some don't.

Some suggest that the public homophobic comments of a Mayor lead to an increase of murders of transgender people in Florida this year iirc.

Jess_cd32
10-22-2008, 11:54 PM
IMO there is very little bigotry against CD's TV's and TG's in the UK...... some people may snigger but there is very little bigotry or hate.

We have become a very secular society. I believe there is probably more bigotry against people holding strong religious beliefs especially strong Christian belief..... those who wear their "faith on their sleeve," evangelicals, and born again Christians are often ridiculed as "superstitious nutters".

Because of the politically correct brigade, a similar type of bigotry is not openly displayed towards other faiths ..... ridiculing Christianity is acceptable but ridiculing Islam is not. :eek:

I know more TG people in the UK, who ridicule Christians and others with faith, than Christians who have an issue with TG folk ...... this makes me sad. :sad:

That's a good point and if I heard them doing that I would defend them as well, neither side should be doing it, live and let live.

Diane CHILDS
10-23-2008, 06:56 AM

To illustrate my point I have read this morning that an atheist group will be running an advertising campaign in London from January.

Various posters will be displayed including ones on London buses reading "There is probably no God, so stop worrying and enjoy your life!"

Links to BBC and newspaper reports here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1079684/Theres-probably-God-slogan-carried-City-buses.html

Can you imagine this happening in the Bible belt - in the "land of the free?"

The comment that made me smile was the one from the Methodist Church, which thanked Professor Dawkins for encouraging a "continued interest in God" :)

I wonder if the officials in London would have agreed if the slogan read ..... " There are probably no Gods so stop worrying and enjoy your life"

or "There is probably no God, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva, so stop worying and enjoy you life"

It wouldn't have even been considered !! :eek:

Di x

Diane CHILDS
10-23-2008, 08:16 AM
But making them run for cover isn't going to change their minds. They're just going to come back with a whole bunch of their friends.

That aside ..... two wrongs don't make a right. You will never win an arguement against a bigot by being as bigoted as they are .... all be it about different issues.

That's a good point and if I heard them doing that I would defend them as well, neither side should be doing it, live and let live.

Exactly :thumbsup:

battybattybats
10-23-2008, 08:18 AM
To illustrate my point I have read this morning that an atheist group will be running an advertising campaign in London from January.

While I agree that everyone should be treated as equals and that religious freedom is a vital and fundamental human right this example is one of increasing equality not inequality.

Because religious groups have been publicly saying they have the truth for a very long time. Atheists doing so is just equality, not inequality.

After all there's been publicly sponsored let alone allowed nativity displays and the like.

Warnings have been allowed of the danger of 'the occult' coming from christian religious groups especially around halloween which is a direct condemnation of the religious beliefs of wiccans, pagans, rosacrucians, spritualists and many many more.

So allowing public expression of beliefs that are diametrically opposed to or even critical of the beliefs of Christians is only creating equality as Christians have done so for a long time regarding the beliefs of other faiths and of Atheists.

And also regarding your point about bias

ridiculing Christianity is acceptable but ridiculing Islam is not

That does not count in the example you raise as Atheists saying there is probably no god means no Allah (because Allah just means God hence the saying there is no Allah but Allah i.e. there is no God but God, it's even the same God as the Christian and Jewish God because it's still the God of Abraham the three being variants of the same religion but with 3different holy texts and differing views over Jesus as messiah or prophet or not and who counts as a prophet and who doesn't.)

It also means no Shiva (Hindu god of destruction and virility) or Quan Yin (Chinese and other countires sex changing god/ess of Mercy) or Uhura Mazda (supreme god of good of the Zoarastrians) or Camasotz (Vampire-Bat god of central and southern America) or Quetzalcoatl (feathered-serpent god of science and wisdom of Southern America and possibly across the pacific ocean) and all the rest too.

And as far as religious freedom goes it must be as acceptable to declare there is no god as it is to declare there is one.

You may wish to consider this link, the latest episode of the Religion Report http://www.abc.net.au/rn/religionreport/stories/2008/2397051.htm (download or transcript) which supports many of your points very much but which raises some very important points you may not have considered.

And the U.K. is not immune to bigotry alas, considering the murder of a transexual and the abominable and obvious misscarriage of justice of her killers trial or for that matter the bashing of a Goth couple just for being Goth that killed one and put the other in a coma!

Thankfully though it seems an exception rather than the rule.

I also know of incidents of bigotry in Australia from systemic discrimination in government and medical systems (currently being discussed at the Australian Human Rights Comission forums) and gaps in antidiscrimination and antivillification legislation to some general incidents of transphobia and homophobia (though still far less per capita that the USA as far as I've heard). We also have more than our share of Racism and other common bigotries.

Not having a federal bill of rights is a big part of the problem in the legal/system issues as an over reliance of macho masculine stereotypes in Australian culture a big part of the social one. However both are well on the decline.

Diane CHILDS
10-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Batty ...your reply, as usual is very deep.

I stand by my observation that ridiculing Christianity is often seen as acceptable but ridiculing Islam is not.

Why? perhaps because of political correctness, or perhaps because Christians in this country turn the other cheek, so are an easy target, others often aren't.

I agree that "as far as religious freedom goes it must be as acceptable to declare there is no god as it is to declare there is one" I was giving this as an example of how secular our society has become, not as an example of bigotory or ridiculing religion...... you have misunderstood me.

Anyway we will soon find out if radical Islamic groups are offended.

Di

Crystal Alberta
10-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Bigotry on the rise? My impression is exactly the opposite. As others have commented, I think that the internet and the media are giving bigots a forum that they may once not have had, but I don't think this means that there are more of them. Talking with people of my own generation (those of us in our 20s and 30s), I get the distinct sense that acceptance of all types of people and lifestyles is becoming greater. For example, I once worked with a transsexual woman, and in the three years that we worked together, I never a single one of my coworkers (most of whom were close to my own age) say anything unkind about her.

Crystal

Jess_cd32
10-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Batty ...your reply, as usual is very deep.

I stand by my observation that ridiculing Christianity is often seen as acceptable but ridiculing Islam is not.

Why? perhaps because of political correctness, or perhaps because Christians in this country turn the other cheek, so are an easy target, others often aren't. ..............Di

I've seen a few wind up with a death warrent out for them that insulted Islam, but have not seen the same for those that mocked Christians.

Most of these people are just plain afraid to bash Islam so they take it out on Christians who won't kill them in retaliation.
In Islamic countries, you'll be severely punished for cd-ing, if your TS,TG, gay etc... even killed for it.

Not so in Christian communities, so if they want to bash a religeon, they should at least have the guts to pick the one that truly has zero tolerance, Islam, but these bashers are weak people. Bill Maer as one example.

edit: A real true Christian isn't going to be bashing anyones lifestyle, the phonie Christians do that, big difference between the two and they shouldn't be put in the same category.