PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal w/ TGs and HIV?

tgirlinva
10-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Okay, I don't want to stereotype here, but I recently read a report that 30% of TGs in DC are HIV-positive. What is the deal with that??? I may have my mind twisted, but I always equated TGs with heteros and therefore almost thought the HIV rate would be as low as heteros, but I guess I was wrong. Sad statistics, unfortunately :sad:

Teresa Amina
10-25-2008, 10:03 PM
You need to keep in mind that the numbers aren't fully inclusive and heavily weighed towards "street people" who are engaged not only in risky sex but intravenous drugs, the second most common means of hiv transmission.

avril findlay
10-25-2008, 10:06 PM
If you shag around a lot( with no protection)it's inevitable you're going catch some sexually transmitted disease.
That's the way it works girls.

Love

Avril

tgirlinva
10-26-2008, 03:41 AM
If you shag around a lot( with no protection)it's inevitable you're going catch some sexually transmitted disease.
That's the way it works girls.

Love

Avril

Not to be rude or anything, but a lot of straight couples "shag" without protection, yet their rate of HIV transmission isn't high. That was my point.

John
10-26-2008, 04:13 AM
Not to be rude or anything, but a lot of straight couples "shag" without protection, yet their rate of HIV transmission isn't high. That was my point.

I supose it could depend on how theyre shaging. I don't know much (or indead anyting) about sexual practices in pre-op transwomen, but I've read that anal penertration is sometimes used as a substitute for vaginal penertration. A heterosexual transwoman that has unprotected anal sex is more at risk of sti (and of cause hiv) infection than a heterosexual cisgender woman that has unprotected vaginal sex.

Also, I know it's comon on my side of the fence for heterosexual (and some homosexual) transmen to identify as gay priour to transition. If the same stands for transwomen, then surly the sti infection rates of pretransition heterosexual transwomen could mirror that of the gay comunity (and hiv being incurable, they would still be posative after transition).

30% is still very high though. I wounder if you could tell us where you read it and who wrote it? I'd be interested in reading the original.

-John

(p.s. if I'm talking bolox here, please point it out)

Nicki B
10-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Okay, I don't want to stereotype here, but I recently read a report that 30% of TGs in DC are HIV-positive.

Given that no one can possibly know how many TGs there are in the DC area, 30% has to be either a figure plucked from the air or a measure of those who are working girls, surely?

Percentages, for a population you cannot measure or even estimate are meaningless, IMHO. An actual number would have been more useful - but it could be as ridiculous as 6 out of a known total of 20?

Miss Tessa
10-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Alot of TS people are prostitutes because we are very Unemployable according to society.

And we also use needles and tend to share the same needles among eachother to inject hormones.

And we have anal sex alot.
That is why.

wishonastar
10-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Given that no one can possibly know how many TGs there are in the DC area, 30% has to be either a figure plucked from the air or a measure of those who are working girls, surely?

Percentages, for a population you cannot measure or even estimate are meaningless, IMHO. An actual number would have been more useful - but it could be as ridiculous as 6 out of a known total of 20?

I do not know how they could get even 40% of the TG population. They probably went in the streets or hospitals to get their data!

wishonastar
10-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Alot of TS people are prostitutes because we are very Unemployable according to society.

And we also use needles and tend to share the same needles among eachother to inject hormones.

And we have anal sex alot.
That is why.

Do not beat around the bush, and just say what you mean!)

(I was think this just did not want to say it)