PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on shaving?

Elaine36b
07-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Hi there girls !!

Elaine here, i have tried using a few different methods to shave my legs, a razor is worst, it makes legs itch terribley, waxing feels great for days but again quite itchy, and the hair removal foam is the only method that is ok, but not purfect, any other suggestions?

Shy Charlotte
07-09-2004, 05:21 AM
I have the same problem, with itching due to ingrown hairs after shaving. Waxing is good, but kinda painful at first (depending on what area) and hair removal cream can be kinda costly (in the amounts we use), and smells like a mutant gave birth on your leg, and sometimes can be incomplete in hair removal. I still feel that shaving is the best method to use, although shaving with a razor is not the only option.

Personally I've got some pretty thick, straight hair, and I need to mow the appropriate area with the clipper end of an electric face shaver first. I used to have a battery operated Norelco, but after it died I replaced it with a plug-in version, and it's cheaper and 10 times better (doesn't run out of batteries mid-leg, and the unit is lighter since it doesn't house a battery). After an initial mow, I'll switch over to the rotating head part, and finish the job. Usually this leads to minimal itching and is "good enough". If you really want to feel silky smooth, when you finish with the electric razor run a hot bath, use plenty of shaving cream, and shave away with a quality multi-blade razor "the Graduate" style (my girlfriend has one with wires over the edge to avoid nicks, and it works great... can't remember the brand). I find that I get less itching if I shave with the grain rather than against it (although it feels closer if you go against). Personally it's the tops of my thighs that get the worst itching, so that area I'll do with grain, and calves and shins against. Beware of dull razors. They don't differentiate between your hair and you.

Everyone's different though, and I don't shave too often, so when I do it's a large undertaking. Some girls swear by waxing, some by shaving, some by laser treatments, some by rubbing meat on your legs and walking into a wolverine pit. Whatever works for you.

Good luck with the itching, it usually goes away in about five days.

Shy 1

Dallas
07-09-2004, 05:37 AM
While I was in the Army I had many (about 20 over the years) black soldiers that had problems with ingrown hairs on thier faces because of shaving. I would send then to the doctor. The medical treatment to get rid or the ingrown hairs on a PERMANENT basis; brush the area the twice daily for 60 days and do not use a razor during that time(they had to use siccors to keep it reasonably short) when they started shaving again they were told to shave with the grain rather than against it.

I must be very lucky in that regard I don't get enough ingrown hairs to talk about and I am smoothe below the eyebrows.:)

windycissy
07-09-2004, 08:33 AM
Funny you should ask! I just answered a similar question from one of our regulars here in my Internet advice column. For some basic shaving do's and dont's, visit Ask Windy Cissy (http://snurl.com/askwindy)

Elaine36b
07-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanx Charlotte honey, I'll try with the grain next time. Why is it that my girlfriend doesn't get this problem? Does it get better the more often you shave?

Elaine xx

sonalnarula
07-09-2004, 03:57 PM
I've never done this - why is the hair removal foam not nice ?

sonal

WindyCityBluz
07-09-2004, 06:37 PM
as a GG, I can maybe add some tips.

First off go to this site http://www.cosmeticscop.com/ and purchase the largest size of the Skin Relief. It is magic on ingrown hairs and takes out the redness immediately on any skin.

2ndly, I would say that if you have someone to help you it's a great thing! Those hard to reach places are easier if someone else is doing the shaving. Remember to use something with a lot of "slip" to it. I prefer to use hair conditioner on my legs and especially my bikini zone.

I don't worry about the quality of razor as much as it being a brand new one for the really dense hair.
I have tried all kinds and always end up with the Venus for women variety.

Make sure you soften the hair with at least a few minutes of soaking in warm water. And don't press too hard on the skin. Make more swipes with less pressure and you should not end up with irritation.

If you are brave, and I mean really brave, buy yourself an Emoji. It pulls the hair out, similar to waxing, but can be done yourself and as times goes on, the pain is dramatically less and the hair grows in slower and finer.

Hope this helps some!

Darby
07-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Hi girls,
My hair is naturally lighter but before I go out I first go over my legs, arms, chest ect with a hair clipper (with on attachments). This gets the hairs really short. I then jump in the shower and just warm up for about 3-5 minutes. Soap up and turn the shower head to flow so I can rinse my razor off very regularly and I am baby but smooth in minutes. Make sure you use a new razor and after all the razors I have tried, the triple blades are very nice! Just don't push down to hard. Some of the time I just use the clipper and my legs feel good in hose but I do have to admit, they feel much nicer after getting ultra smooth! After all is said and done, Johnson's Baby Oil is rubbed into my legs while I'm still damp from the shower and there is no worries about itching! Try it, one thing for sure... you'll enjoy doing it!
XOXOXO
Darby