PDA

View Full Version : Your Female voice or not?

2B Natasha
10-29-2008, 02:44 PM
So how many of you gals use a female voice when out? Do you do it because you can or because your voice is not, naturally, very soft.

This thought came to me as I was waiting for a ferry and started to just listen to the people around me. Most voices could easily be he or she. When you close your eyes and don't look it's hard to tell sometimes.

I wish very badly to be able to go out and have a good time dressed out to the theatre or the symphony. To get all dressed up with the strappy heels and a halter style long gown. I think that wold be amazing! Now my self doubt kicks in. What to do when and if someone talks to me? Do I try a fake voice and sound like it or do I go with my own voice and scare the bejesus out of them? I think not only would I scare them with size. I would be well over 6'7" in heels, flats are not an option. My natural voice is also a very "Manly" cross between Barry White and Isaac Hayes. Even when I speak softly I boom out.

Do I just not talk to anyone? How rude. Assume that anyone that comes over to talk to me or the people I am sitting next to would just expect me to sound that way? Perhaps they wouldn't. Go with what I was born with and don't care what people think? Maybe use a German accent claim I am from Munchen. I love Germany.

So ladies. What are your thoughts.

StaceyJane
10-29-2008, 02:48 PM
I have thought very hard about fem voice lessons but I decided to hold off on that.
I still look like a guy in a dress so I really don't go out except for short drives. I have thought it would be fun to start answering the phone in a female voice. It would be a thrill to be address as Ma'am over the phone. Perhaps call my therapist and see if I could fool her.
Of course if I did that she might have me locked up.

Stacey

P.S.
I think Germany is the most beautiful country. Especially Bavaria.

Christina Horton
10-29-2008, 03:23 PM
hay girl I live in Burnaby just north of you. I have a deep voice but I used my fem voice on a web site called second life. You make your avatar (female of course ) and useing a head set with mic you walk around the worlds talking of others. The will ask you if your a man , tell them you are a crossdresser in RL. (real life ) and ask them if that could help you. If you go there sheach my name and make friends with me and I can help you aswell. My name is Christina Horton. It will help you just talking and you can have fun shopping and dressing as girly as you want. Hope to see you there hun. Oh tp to avatar Island and that's where my friends hang out at. Good luck and maybe you can come up to Canada and we can meet. Huggs. So pm me in this site I will be home by the 30th and home untill the 3 or 4th.

Nadia-Maria
10-29-2008, 03:28 PM
It depends mainly on your goal.
And I believe taking voice lessons would be very hard job, but if you have a special talent. It's not my case.

My goal is only to be taken as an acceptable TGirl, not passing as a real woman, so that I need not to speak as a woman.
As a rule I tell just a few words, when obliged to speak.
For instance, I only soften my voice when I have to tell a few words to the cashier, or I try to imitate a girl I know.

Nevertheless it's funny to have a try.
I just tried it in a video (see the thread below in the video and pictures section). And I don't know if it's worth going on ...

Kisses

Nadia

2B Natasha
10-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the thoughts ladies.

I don't know about the second life. My life is hard enough right now without trying to figure out a second one ( which would really be my third ) How you do that is beyond me. But hey. Never say never. I may go there some time and say, Hi!

Tess
10-29-2008, 06:55 PM
I'll never be able to pass but I enjoy learning some skills that move me a little closer to giving it a try. Lately I've done pretty well putting a little wiggle in my walk which I think is adequate, but voice is a big challenge. It is something you can work on in drab which allows more practice. I can just imagine myself getting good enough at make up, fashion, walking and gestures, even voice, and then blow the whole thing with a sneeze! There isn't anything I can do about that honker.

Sam44
10-29-2008, 07:17 PM
For me, passing isn't a goal. I'm just myself, beard, voice and all. In my experience people are accepting of people being themselves. I do admit that I try to be more graceful when I walk tho... :)

Kim_Bitzflick
10-29-2008, 08:15 PM
I like to think I can do a pretty good female voice. But my male voice is a tenor so it's not that hard for me. I remember the first time after I spent a 1/2 day dressed I was in bed talking with my wife & she said "you are still using your Kim voice" & I didn't really realize it :)! It's been a year since that time. I'll ask her again & let you know if she tinks I'm doing better.

Kim

So how many of you gals use a female voice when out? Do you do it because you can or because your voice is not, naturally, very soft.

This thought came to me as I was waiting for a ferry and started to just listen to the people around me. Most voices could easily be he or she. When you close your eyes and don't look it's hard to tell sometimes.

I wish very badly to be able to go out and have a good time dressed out to the theatre or the symphony. To get all dressed up with the strappy heels and a halter style long gown. I think that wold be amazing! Now my self doubt kicks in. What to do when and if someone talks to me? Do I try a fake voice and sound like it or do I go with my own voice and scare the bejesus out of them? I think not only would I scare them with size. I would be well over 6'7" in heels, flats are not an option. My natural voice is also a very "Manly" cross between Barry White and Isaac Hayes. Even when I speak softly I boom out.

Do I just not talk to anyone? How rude. Assume that anyone that comes over to talk to me or the people I am sitting next to would just expect me to sound that way? Perhaps they wouldn't. Go with what I was born with and don't care what people think? Maybe use a German accent claim I am from Munchen. I love Germany.

So ladies. What are your thoughts.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
10-29-2008, 10:03 PM
I've been doing voiceover work forever so I have developed the ability to shift my octaves up or down depending on the need. You could say I sorta have a valley girl kinda voice when people meet Zara.
Embyrre is a fairy so she cann ot be heard (that and its really hard to maintain the fem voice in a corset ;)

*hugs*

Zara

tamarav
10-29-2008, 10:15 PM
This used to be one of my biggest stumbling blocks. I wanted to go out but worried about being able to talk in a feminine voice. I chewed gum to keep my mouth moist, otherwise I couldn't do anything but spit cotton.
My first few encounters heard me talking in whispers but over time I have found that once someone starts to listen to you, after the first few minutes they equate the voice to the face, and you can relax just a bit.

I great clients and walk them to my work station in my salon almost everyday and they expect to hear a feminine voice from me since I am dressed. I do my best not to dissapoint them.

When I talk I try to use much less air than a male voice and talk in shorter sentences. The greatest help I ever got was to record myself over and over and listen to the tape. I found that with some practice I could sound very feminine from the first sentence. Try it, you might be pleasantly suprised.

Your sis,

Tami

MJ
10-29-2008, 10:29 PM
not me i look like Marissa but sound like paul... my reasoning is this i just don't pass so why bother ? they know what i am . I'm not fooling anyone

victoriamwilliams1
10-30-2008, 12:08 AM
I am a tenor so I just pitch up a little but I am not too happy with my results and in practice I hit the voice I want but in a interaction with SA's I tend to loose it:(

Lisa Golightly
10-30-2008, 04:17 AM
For years I never bothered to alter my voice so it was a bit 'Alright me old china!'. I think at the time this either threw people completely or oddly put them at their ease. Most people reckoned I sounded like Alfie Moon... Now I'm more curvy I decided to do some training and now sound like Kat Slater... Doh! :doh:(You Tube have plenty of Kat & Alfie vids for those not familiar)

Suzy Harrison
10-30-2008, 04:45 AM
not me i look like Marissa but sound like paul... my reasoning is this i just don't pass so why bother ? they know what i am . I'm not fooling anyone

You're not being fair to yourself Marissa :) - First of all you do pass and secondly your voice is pretty good as there isn't really much of any maleness in it at all.
:hugs: Suzy

Anyway Iisalotte, I've been practicing each day for an hour over a period of a year and I've just started with a voice therapist. I seem to get by in public okay so I'm pleased with that.

I think anything is possible but it takes a lot of time and effort - so you really have to want it bad enough to come through.

Angel.Marie76
10-30-2008, 08:43 AM
This used to be one of my biggest stumbling blocks. I wanted to go out but worried about being able to talk in a feminine voice. I chewed gum to keep my mouth moist, otherwise I couldn't do anything but spit cotton. My first few encounters heard me talking in whispers but over time I have found that once someone starts to listen to you, after the first few minutes they equate the voice to the face, and you can relax just a bit.

When I talk I try to use much less air than a male voice and talk in shorter sentences. The greatest help I ever got was to record myself over and over and listen to the tape. I found that with some practice I could sound very feminine from the first sentence. Try it, you might be pleasantly suprised.

Has anyone else out there tried this tape recording method? It sounds like an interesting method to attack the issue, as I myself have thought about working to speak in a more feminine tone as well.. my gnarly adams apple and (what I think is a) deeper voice definitely out me. A voice coach is an interesting thought, but they're probably VERY expensive and aren't the easiest to find in some areas..

Miss Tessa
10-30-2008, 08:54 AM
When I was transitioning I had to train my voice to sound right.
Now I sound like a regular girl my age.

MJ
10-30-2008, 09:19 AM
You're not being fair to yourself Marissa :) - First of all you do pass and secondly your voice is pretty good as there isn't really much of any maleness in it at all.
:hugs: Suzy

hmm OK i stand corrected Thank you. well in that case. as i pass i feel that my voice could be better but it's hard to do when one does not have the right tools for the job so next year i shall try harder

shannonsilk
10-30-2008, 09:56 AM
I don't have a tape recorder, so I called my house a few times and left messages in a voice I hoped sounded a bit female. I found I had to go a little lower in pitch, but if I get where I want, I have to much resonance. The best I can do is a little too high for womenand not right for men either.
You didn't ask but there are plenty of youtubes outthere on voice training. there have been several threads on this.