PDA

View Full Version : how longv did it take for you to master the art of make up

Shining Star
06-01-2005, 07:18 AM
how long did it take you to master the art of applimg make up
i still haven't masterer the art of it as i don't wear that much make-up only lipstick and eyeshadow and they are easy to apply

SohoRose
06-01-2005, 07:35 AM
Not long. I used to wear it everyday up until a few years ago.
I was heavily into goth music so I almost looked like a CD in my street clothes.
I often wondered if thats why I got into goth music :)

Shining Star
06-01-2005, 07:38 AM
thats very sexy rose thanks for sharing

Katie Ashe
06-01-2005, 08:02 AM
The only thing I'm lingering on is eyeliner. Colors and how much to apply +?
Other than that seem natural, just practice, I guess. What fustrates me is, I'll never look as good as the girls in the makeup comercials :cry:

Katie

sarah8553
06-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Master it?

Not many GGs have done that. Let alone MTF CDers, in my opinion...

Look forward to seeing some piccys though, if anyone is going to prove me wrong...

Katie: You may not look good as the girls in commercials because you cannot constantly have your face airbrushed by expensive computer software!

Hugs n kisses,

Sarah. x

SohoRose
06-01-2005, 08:12 AM
But remember that the girls in the commercials usually have their makeup done by a guy. :)

SohoRose
06-01-2005, 08:17 AM
This was me in 98 just before I went to see a band.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/Trannyvestite/Deadspeak1.jpg

And yes that is/was my real hair.

Fiona K
06-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Never have mastered it
Fiona

Deidra Cowen
06-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Not even close...I have all kinds of trouble with my eyes!

SohoRose...that is a beautiful picture!

jill_cd_girl
06-01-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm still trying to master it. It's clear, however, that the more patient you are in the application process, the better it turns out to be. Also, there is a tendency to focus only on the part to which one is applying the makeup. I think it's important to not just focus on the one part, but also keep in mind the others as well, to make sure all the tones are coming together well. I've had the hardest time with eyeliner. My asian eyes make it a bit tricky (since asian eyelids tend to tuck under the lid, rather than push them up).

Wendy me
06-01-2005, 10:33 AM
always something new to try or learn... so i think it's on going.....

Sherlyn
06-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Face make up was really the first thing i did as a crossdresser ...for years all i did was look in the mirror and bring Sherlyn out ,,,the clothing came much later for me ...so i guess i could say I have mastered my look.. Kew has done it for me a few times BUT !!!!! {looks around} ... I always end up wanting to do my own ...lol

sheiligh
06-01-2005, 10:45 AM
whats that mean???? i dont think one ever masters make up if any one does, :rolleyes: :) please let me know how you do it

mand
06-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Star you do ask some great questions :kissing:

I love make up but I don't think it can ever be mastered, I just find it such fantastic fun and I never get tired of putting it on and wearing it.

I am addicted to it and if I go in a shop that sells make up I have to buy something, they ought to put a warning on it like ciggies "Warning this product is highly addictive" :)

love mand xxx

Oh and I'm with Sherlyn on the fact I dont want anyone else do it, I like to do it myself :)

Teddie
06-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Not matered it. But, with the wifes help, I'm fairly good at it, and still learning. If I goof on something, she'll fix it for me.

Katie Ashe
06-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Master it?
Katie: You may not look good as the girls in commercials because you cannot constantly have your face airbrushed by expensive computer software!

Sarah you have a valid point, never though of it that way. Well maybe others won't laugh if I'm not the pretties girl on the block :o . In the mean time I'll keep practicing... now where is the darn mirror :hiding:

Katie

Stephanie Brooks
06-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Mastering makeup. I wish. Yet, to some degree I guess I have.

There are two characteristics I consider in mastering makeup. One is that it needs to go on my face quickly. When I dress, I don't have all day to do my makeup. It's a challenge with the permanent 5 o'clock shadow on my face. I want something that covers quickly and easily. The eyes should also go quickly, as they're fairly easy to do. Lips are also easy.

The other characteristic is that what looks back at me in the mirror should look female. I don't want to see facial hair underneath. I don't want the makeup to be measurably thick, nor do I want to appear as a clown. I want my face to look as well done as my GG buddy Blade. I don't want to see a guy in makeup; I want to see a woman.

How long did it take to master that? It happened over years in the mid to late 90s. It was a combination of playing with makeup in the bathroom and trying things, as well as getting good makeup. My worst problem is with foundation. Once I found a foundation that could cover my beard and mustache, makeup became fairly easy.

Imho, the best thing you can do is play with it. Try things. While the final look is important, it is equally important to do it quickly. GGs don't typically have 2 hours to do their makeup; they probably have 5 to 10 minutes. If what you're doing takes 15 or 20 minutes and you look fine, then you're probably doing it right. If it takes you more than a half hour, you're probably doing something wrong.

Hope this helps! :Power:

Amelie
06-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Not long. I used to wear it everyday up until a few years ago.
I was heavily into goth music so I almost looked like a CD in my street clothes.
I often wondered if thats why I got into goth music :)

Yea Rose,,, A goth to Goth hello to you.

It took me about an hour to be able to do my make-up quite good.

I thought, if a 17 year old girl can do make-up, surely I could do it as well.
Amelie

SohoRose
06-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Yea Rose,,, A goth to Goth hello to you.

It took me about an hour to be able to do my make-up quite good.

I thought, if a 17 year old girl can do make-up, surely I could do it as well.
Amelie

Back in the day I got it down to 15 minutes. Thats how long it took me in that picture.
2 to 3 different shades of eyeshadow
2-3 different shades of lipstick
Eyeliner.
White foundation.

Typical bloke though. Less time doing makeup means more time at the pub drinking :D
Guess in some ways I think more like a bloke than a girl.

Lady Jayne
06-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Still trying, Give me say..........another 10 years or so! mind you by then I'll probably be using pollyfiller as a foundation!!!

Katrina
06-01-2005, 04:38 PM
I sure haven't mastered it yet, but it sure is fun practicing! Crap...now I have the urge to give myself a makeover...and I was going to eat some dinner :mad: I blame all of you! ;)

windycissy
06-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Two important things before you put on your makeup can make all the difference. First of course is a close shave: I always shave as close as I can with the most high-tech blade razor, followed by another shave with a Panasonic Wet Dry razor using shaving cream and water, this routine makes my very heavy beard disappear for hours. Second is to moisturize! This is absolutely critical to putting on your foundation. Once you get these basics down, the rest is just plain fun, although I still have fits sometimes putting on eye-liner! If you mess up, just wipe it off (cold cream or makeup removal pads) and try again. Ask Windy (http://snurl.com/askwindy)

Kat
06-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Check out this link on msn: http://women.msn.com/1135189.armx?GT1=6559 -

Kat

TaylorAB
06-01-2005, 06:31 PM
I experimented for about a year before I got to the look that I really liked. I'm sure as time goes on I'll evolve more.

Jessica_six
06-01-2005, 08:50 PM
I think about a year to get decent at it. I'm still learning and experimenting though. :D

GypsyKaren
06-02-2005, 12:31 AM
I don't think I'll ever master the art of doing my eyebrows, but the rest came pretty easy.
GypsyKaren

Imogen_Mann
06-02-2005, 12:35 AM
30 Years and still trying !!

One day I'll have time and privacy. :rolleyes:

One day !!

XX

Fallen Angel
06-02-2005, 12:44 AM
star, ive been doing this for over ten years and and im still learning new ideas at one time it took almost twom hours to do my make up with all the new things that have come out i can do it in less than a half an hour with the same results

Melissa A.
06-02-2005, 01:52 AM
Master it? Probably never will...But I wish I knew years ago what I know now! I was cuter then, but makeup ignorant!

Hugs,

Melissa :)

Mandy Salamander
06-02-2005, 02:55 AM
Hi Star, I've been doing make-up (my own and others) almost 30 years now, am in mid-40's and can still pull off public appearances, can honestly say that no one ever "masters" it, and anyone who thinks they have, just hasn't been doing it long enough, make-up is an ART and a constantly evolving one, you may "master" it for a short time but styles change! fashions change!! hairstyles change!!! FACES CHANGE!!!! and your make-up needs to change along with. but there are some things you can do to get pretty good, pretty quick, first find the shades, colors that work best with your face, features, complexion etc. (as an Artist I know that a good artist limits her pallette), less is more, start simple and practice, practice, practice till you can do it to your own satisfaction rather quickly (under half hour is good time), then you can experiment with subtle changes (to match outfit or hairstyle), and more extravagant looks such as blending 3 eyeshadows, but do start with a simple look, get overall shaping of face together first, lips, brows, then add the snazzy colors, then highlight, contour, it never ends but its oodles of fun!!!!! and I'm sure you're already lovelier and better at it than you think, an artist is always her own worst critic. Also quality make-up and tools are a must and as has been said keep the big picture in mind as you work, take your time too, speed will come in time, and mostly just have fun with it.

lorna2cute
06-02-2005, 03:10 AM
how long did it take you to master the art of applimg make up
i still haven't masterer the art of it as i don't wear that much make-up only lipstick and eyeshadow and they are easy to apply

Hi sweetie, I have to say that it took me a little under a year of weekly applications to get a look I was content with. ;)