PDA

View Full Version : Names

Sara Jessica
10-30-2008, 08:09 PM
This might be more of a statement rather than something that will generate a ton of responses but I'll give it a go anyways because it cracked me up.

I was listening to Dr. Laura today (don't laugh) and a girl named Sara called in. Of course a woman with such a wonderful name always piques my interest...Sara, not Doctor!!! :battingeyelashes: Dr. Laura promptly asked her if that was her real name and she replied that it was. Then Dr. Laura went on to say that Sara was the most popular pseudonym that callers use, along with Jessica. So how crazy is that, that I managed to pick the two most generic (as in "common") "fake" names for my girl name???

Billie_P
10-30-2008, 08:11 PM
So how crazy is that, that I managed to pick the two most generic (as in "common") "fake" names for my girl name???
Understandable since you were listening to Dr. Laura. ;)

Sammy777
10-30-2008, 08:43 PM
So what your telling me is that Sarah Jessica Parker has been lying to us for all these years!?!

I wonder what Ms Parker's real name is then? lol

Sorry, lol, I just had to......

Nicole Erin
10-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey Sara jessica, you know Dr Laura hates us right? She is a "B", and it is always a happy day when people like her [-]kick the bucket[/-] pass away.

Sorry, lol, I just had to......

Probably something hideous like "Esher Gertrude Bailey"

Some stars have birth names that most humans wouldn't be cruel enough to name a pile of crap.

Crystal Galadriel
10-30-2008, 09:26 PM
I rather like the name I have, Crystal Galadriel.

Crystal more or less came by itself, it chose me as much as I chose it. Galadriel is something I picked for myself, decided I needed a last name and found it using www.babynamesworld.com, it's a character from Tolkein's Lord of the Rings books, he created the name himself, means "Maiden crowned by a radiant garland". Original enough, and not very common either. Don't know why I like Crystal as much as I do, and lately I've actually been thinking of detaching myself from the name and just let it flow and see what name I get. We'll see what happens as my female side continues to develop. I like the different names on here, though, some of them can be quite interesting.

trannie T
10-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Lets all change our names to Laura. That might get her stirred up.

Is it a sign of a quack to use the title of "Dr." then use only a first name? A certain bald psychologist on television comes to mind.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
10-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Hey Sara jessica, you know Dr Laura hates us right? She is a "B", and it is always a happy day when people like her [-]kick the bucket[/-] pass away.

You are so right about her (Dr Turkey-neck.. as she is sometimes referred to). She really does hate us.
I met her several years ago at a Doubletree Hotel ands she was rude to people on top of it all.

No real sincerity in that one at all.

And for what its worth.. Sara is a lovely name, indeed!

*hugs*

Zara (who incidently sought out a name that wasn't very prominant just to be different ;)

Laura_Stephens
10-31-2008, 03:01 AM
Laura is not such a bad name! :daydreaming:

Sara Jessica
10-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Understandable since you were listening to Dr. Laura. ;)

OMG, I should have known this might strike a nerve or two!!!

So what your telling me is that Sarah Jessica Parker has been lying to us for all these years!?!

Good question but I think that's her real name. I remember Sarah Jessica Parker on a tv show called Square Pegs where she was quite the awkward adolescent. Still, I've gone on record to state that while I've been Sara forever, I only added Jessica recently and it really had nothing to do with the actress. Rather, it just seemed to flow.

Some stars have birth names that most humans wouldn't be cruel enough to name a pile of crap.

Ya know, I can be persuaded that your POV is correct with examples if you have any but I have actually heard at least three tg related calls on her show, one about a child and two about husbands and she was nothing but 100% sensitive about the subject. In the most recent one, the caller (wife) was just beside herself and Dr. L was empathetic and suggested couples therapy with someone who was familiar with gender issues to save the marriage. I'd hardly call that the behaviour of someone who harbors hate for us, not like Dr. Phil who has been on the record hostile towards the tg community including the strong sentiment that those with tg issues have no business getting married.

I rather like the name I have, Crystal Galadriel.

Crystal more or less came by itself, it chose me as much as I chose it. Galadriel is something I picked for myself, decided I needed a last name and found it using www.babynamesworld.com, it's a character from Tolkein's Lord of the Rings books, he created the name himself, means "Maiden crowned by a radiant garland". Original enough, and not very common either. Don't know why I like Crystal as much as I do, and lately I've actually been thinking of detaching myself from the name and just let it flow and see what name I get. We'll see what happens as my female side continues to develop. I like the different names on here, though, some of them can be quite interesting.

I wouldn't change a thing about your name, it's absolutely beautiful. And I love the Tolkien reference!!!

And for what its worth.. Sara is a lovely name, indeed!
Zara (who incidently sought out a name that wasn't very prominant just to be different ;)

Thank you :) ...and it rhymes with Zara, how about that? I think your name is lovely as well!

Karren H
10-31-2008, 09:00 AM
I think I'll change mine to Buffie!!

Buffie Hutton?

Maybe Buffie LaMoore?

Ok how about Buffie Sahara Jessicah Lamoore!!

Yeah!!

:)

pamela_a
10-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Hey Sara jessica, you know Dr Laura hates us right? She is a "B", and it is always a happy day when people like her kick the bucket pass away.I can feel the tolerance and diversity from here. Why is it people are only "tolerant" of others when they agree and their "diversity" is only inclusive of people who dare not have any differing opinions?

To Sarah Jessica's question; It seems Sarah that you are really plugged into people, that and they are both very pretty names.

-Paula-

sometimes_miss
11-05-2008, 06:04 AM
I never had a 'fem' name before; I just never needed one, or thought that I ever would. So when I came on here, and saw everyone had come up with something, I felt that I had to as well. I didn't want to feminize my real name, because that had been done to me to taunt me when I was a kid. But I wanted something that I could use as either a man or woman, but not something too bland. I chose Alexis. When I'm feeling like a girl, which is most of the time, it's 'Lexi'. As a guy, I can just be 'Alex'. I might even make it a legal change someday.

Jonianne
11-05-2008, 06:48 AM
A fake name for a fake Dr. "Dr." Laura is not a psychologist. Her doctorate is in physiology. She doesn't deny this, but how dare she allow the "Dr." imply that she is a psychologist.

.......Ya know, I can be persuaded that your POV is correct with examples if you have any but I have actually heard at least three tg related calls on her show, one about a child and two about husbands and she was nothing but 100% sensitive about the subject........

I quit listening to her years ago when I heard her negatitivity toward crossdressers themselves who called in. A real psychologist on the radio, Dr. Joy Browne, has always been supportive to crossdresser callers. I have a news letter where she addresses it. Very positive and supportive.

I'm sorry to go off topic. Your name Sara Jessica is lovely. Thats probably why so many choose it.

Sara Jessica
11-05-2008, 07:55 AM
I quit listening to her years ago when I heard her negatitivity toward crossdressers who called in. A real psychologist on the radio, Dr. Joy Browne, has always been supportive to crossdresser callers. I have a news letter where she addresses it. Very positive and supportive.

Perhaps Dr. Laura has changed her opinion of the tg world, or maybe the negativity you heard was from callers whose husbands were absolute jerks about how they go about the tg thing. For example, if a caller said "my husband is getting dolled up like a woman and going out to pick up on men", I wouldn't exactly expect any kind of sympathetic response from Dr. Laura.

Either way, I can only go by what I have heard myself and thus far, I've heard nothing but compassion.

I'm sorry to go off topic. Your name Sara Jessica is lovely. Thats probably why so many choose it.

Thank you!!! I guess I've asked for this to go off topic by even mentioning Dr. Laura. I think all heck would break loose if I put her name in the thread title!

sometimes_miss
11-05-2008, 07:53 PM
This is starting to get off topic. But we have, as a society, to stop calling anyone with a doctorate degree, 'Doctor'. There are too many fools with doctorate degrees in art history or something equally as far from medicine as possible, using this title (best example; the moronic weatherman, 'Dr' Frank Field, doctorate in meteorology). I had this argument with one of my teachers at school, a long time ago, and asked simply, "When a person collapses in a theater, and the call goes out, 'Is there a doctor in the house?', do you answer the call?" he of course, hesitated a bit, then answered "No". I said to him, well then, I shall call you professor, not doctor; do you think that would be appropriate? And he accepted that. Too many people like to use the title 'Doctor' to get the admiration, respect, and especially favors that are given to medical doctors. The cops I know all have at least one story about a teacher trying to pass off themselves as an M.D. to try to get out of a ticket, because they get to call themselves, 'doctor'.

jenncrosser
11-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Anyone who goes to the great lengths of earning a doctoral degree shall deserve the respect of the title Dr. They have just as much schooling as a medical practitioner. It is a title of respect.

doc⋅tor   /ˈdɒktər/

–noun 1. a person licensed to practice medicine, as a physician, surgeon, dentist, or veterinarian.
2. a person who has been awarded a doctor's degree: He is a Doctor of Philosophy.

Origin:
1275–1325; ME docto(u)r (< AF) < L, equiv. to doc(ēre) to teach + -tor -tor

Also, Dr. Laura is mean to her guests, as well as closed minded, and pig headed. Sorry you subjected your ears to her drivel.

Of course, I barely have earned the right to use the title ma'am. LOL

ElaineB
11-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Anyone who goes to the great lengths of earning a doctoral degree shall deserve the respect of the title Dr. They have just as much schooling as a medical practitioner. It is a title of respect.

Yes but... formal titles are for formal circumstances, not things to be used in casual conversation. The beef about "Dr. Laura" is perfectly fair, I feel. She does present herself with a particular usage of her title that suggests wrongly she is a medical doctor. Putting "Dr. Schlessinger" on her forms and address labels would be the correct use.

Oh, and I agree Dr. Laura is a cold-hearted bitch.

Sara Jessica
11-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Wow, still feeling the love in here despite the eloquent comment made by Paula above.