PDA

View Full Version : At work as Erin, I was not ready for this.

Nicole Erin
10-31-2008, 08:24 PM
So it was Halloween. Time to show the CD side that everyone loves to gossip about... Now all of first shift knows for sure... everyone... that it is not just halloween...

I had not one single bad reaction. I am sure at least a couple people didn't like it but no one said anything...

Comments I got were mostly "You are so pretty!"
One lady asked if it was my wifes and I said "No this is mine, I have other outfits that are pretty but this one is most comfy to work in...".
My friend at work who I ws worried about said "I think it is funny" but he is cool, he treated me like normal :) I told him thanks for being cool.
My boss called me down and said "You stole my grandmothers clothes and she wants them back!" hahahhhaha!!! Totally in gest. :)
One lady hugged me and said "Oh honey you look so adorable!"
One lady looked and said "You are hawt!" :D
A couple people took my photo.
Even a couple of the guys said I looked pretty. :o The same guys were not suprised at my outfit, en femme.
One lady said "You know with legs like yours you really don't need pantyhose."
Another lady said "You look entirely too comfortable in that dress, and are you wearing pantyhose too? I said of course.

However, this was the comment that got me, made by 4 different women, worded differently but basically telling me I looked better as a woman or that being en femme seemed to bring out my real personality better, that I should be a woman instead. I mean that was insanely awesome to hear!

I just could not believe this. I mean they LOVED me at work! My day of fame I guess. And not to every single person, but to a few, I did make it real clear that I don't wait for just halloween...

One lady who told me "I just like you so much better like this" also wrote down the info on my lipstick cause she wanted to buy some... Talk about approval. *I* helped a GG pick a color of makeup.

You know what tho? Of the 3 prizes for best costume, I did not place. I could care less about that cause the encouragement and support I got from several people is worth way more than any "prize gift card". And like I said, a lot of them I would talk about clothes, makeup, my adventures out as Erin, so it is not like they think it was some one time thing for me.

After work a few of us stopped for a drink at a local pub and some guy was asking about the pretty lady in the black dress. The waitress told him it was a man. Another waitress didn't know I was a man until I went to the men's room.

Sorry I could go on for hours about this, but I will just scratch the surface and leave it at this.

This is by far the best day of "Erin's" life!

Violet
10-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Hooray! That must have been so awesome for you, especially since you were down yesterday.

Oh, I'm so glad you had such a nice day, Erin.

TGMarla
10-31-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm very glad for you. What a terrific experience. The reason you didn't place in the costume contest is simple: you weren't wearing a costume. :battingeyelashes:

Nicole Erin
10-31-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm very glad for you. What a terrific experience. The reason you didn't place in the costume contest is simple: you weren't wearing a costume. :battingeyelashes:

HA! exactly. One guy said "If you want to do something different than dress as a guy". :heehee:

Yeah yesterday I was almost in tears with nervousness as to what I was about to get into.

But I will never forget this day.
Advanced CD-ism is coming out at work, professional is SHOWING them at work. I think I passed this test with flying colors.

I ain't trying to bore you ladies but well look, if I ever start another of my self-pity threads, please remind me to quit feeling sorry for myself. :heehee:

The encouragement I got today was astounding.

Tomara
10-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi Erin
Congratulation on being well received at work , it is great to hear that there are so many accepting people where you work and even when you went out later !
:hugs:Tomara

Susan4
10-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Way to go ... I can relate. Enjoy.
:D

darla_g
10-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Erin,
that was such a great story.
thanks

Angie G
10-31-2008, 09:01 PM
That's just so great hun you go girl.:hugs:
Angie

StephanieT
10-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Great story and an even better day for you. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maria2222
10-31-2008, 09:11 PM
What a big step! Way to go Erin.
:)

Karren H
10-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Awesome!!! Your my hero... Heroine!! :)

Zenith
10-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Told Ya So...:hugs:

victoriamwilliams1
10-31-2008, 10:25 PM
That was an awsome story:)

Nikki A.
10-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Very cool

Tina B.
10-31-2008, 11:01 PM
I would wish you a happy Halloween, but you already had one! Glad it went so well that you went for drinks too! WOW
Tina

joann07
10-31-2008, 11:09 PM
That is so cool!
What a wonderful experience that must've been.
To get such nice compliments must've done wonders for your confidence and I'm sure you were on cloud nine the whole day. :c9:
Way to go! :cheer:
I'm glad you had a great time.
Thank you for sharing.

Hugs!

jazmine
10-31-2008, 11:46 PM
That is completely...and utterly AWESOME! I'm so jelous. I wish I had your courage.

Bravo !

Julie513
10-31-2008, 11:55 PM
Way to go Erin! I wish I had that much confidence. Sounds like everything went very well.
Julie

Eileen
11-01-2008, 12:13 AM
You go Erin! You were a great ambassador for the trans community! We all worry so much about coming out and yet so often it turns out to be such a rewarding experience. And yes I think being out true selves does greatly help the way others see us.

Eileen

sterling12
11-01-2008, 01:14 AM
I keep talking about us waging small battles everyday. Looks like you won a major one, all by yourself! Maybe things are changing just a little bit.

You get my vote for: "CD with the most chutzpah." But, that doesn't mean that others can't make a stab at that title. Many congratulations, we will be pulling for you.

Peace and Love, Joanie

ErikaLadyoftheDesert
11-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Way to Go Erin!

You made all of us ladies proud today. I wish I could just strut my stuff into the Courtroom as Erika with the confidence you displayed today.
Inspirational indeed.

:daydreaming:

Amanda_Robinson
11-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Erin, that is great to hear. Obviously you are a great person. :) I'm sure you are just as kind to the people you meet every day.

~Amanda

Josey
11-01-2008, 01:31 AM
I can't begin to tell you how happy I'm with your outing adventure. Like all those who responded to this thread, we wish such an opportunity would present it to each of us and reap the rewards you have encountered. Suffice to say we'll enjoy stories such as yours to keep us thinking that maybe some day.......we too can relate a similar encounter.

VeronicaMoonlit
11-01-2008, 02:19 AM
Comments I got were mostly "You are so pretty!"

Of course you were.

One lady asked if it was my wifes and I said "No this is mine, I have other outfits that are pretty but this one is most comfy to work in...".

That's a great response.

However, this was the comment that got me, made by 4 different women, worded differently but basically telling me I looked better as a woman or that being en femme seemed to bring out my real personality better, that I should be a woman instead. I mean that was insanely awesome to hear!

:-)

One lady who told me "I just like you so much better like this" also wrote down the info on my lipstick cause she wanted to buy some... Talk about approval. *I* helped a GG pick a color of makeup.

You must have good taste in lippies.

You know what tho? Of the 3 prizes for best costume, I did not place.And like I said, a lot of them I would talk about clothes, makeup, my adventures out as Erin, so it is not like they think it was some one time thing for me.

That's because it wasn't a costume for you, it was just "you"!

After work a few of us stopped for a drink at a local pub and some guy was asking about the pretty lady in the black dress.

Pretty lady!

Sorry I could go on for hours about this, but I will just scratch the surface and leave it at this.

Nooooo, go on, go on!

This is by far the best day of "Erin's" life!

Yay! I'm so happy for you.

I ain't trying to bore you ladies but well look, if I ever start another of my self-pity threads, please remind me to quit feeling sorry for myself. :heehee:

Will do, and will you do the same for me?

The encouragement I got today was astounding.

Yay! I like happy stories.

Veronica
Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.

Christina Horton
11-01-2008, 02:36 AM
I would lke to add my congrats , I am so proud od you.Thats one think I could not do.Not the going to work and showing all there I am a CDer , But not beause I am afraid but because I drive an 18 wheeler long haul and I can't dress on the job. Some places will not let you were shorts let alone A dress os skirt. I will never were pants EN-FEMM, I might some day butt not now. huggs and talk to you soon.:hugs:

Tracii G
11-01-2008, 02:42 AM
Erin That is very cool I would be lynched if I came to work in a dress halloween or not.Great news maybe the worm has started to turn your way.

Katheryn
11-01-2008, 06:34 AM

Brilliant! Couldn't have said it better if I'd pondered it for hours!

Kate

RachelDenise
11-01-2008, 06:57 AM
What a lovely and special day!!!! I envy you. Me? I just worked yesterday in drab.

paulaN
11-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Wow!!!! absolutely fantastic. I am so happy that you are in the pink fog. I hope it lasts all weekend. way to go hun.

Sara Jessica
11-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Very nice Erin, thanks so much for sharing with us!!! :)

Glenda
11-01-2008, 08:14 AM
I don't care what anyone says, I think the world is getting more accepting of us. I haven't had the courage to go to work en femme, but the rest of my life is pretty open and it has literally been years since I received a negative comment. I'm so happy you had such a wonderful day.

Angel.Marie76
11-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Congratulations on your most wonderful experience! :)

Teri Jean
11-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Erin that is so neat and the support is contageous. I had simular responses at work and a few friends that I spent with last night. Way to go but remember keep one foot on the floor so you don't fly of the planet. Hus to you. Keli

Raychel
11-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Great story Erin, Thanks for sharing it with us. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Parse Leeve
11-01-2008, 08:56 AM
So cool. Great day and story. Thanks for sharing

AliciaWeb
11-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Fantastic! So happy for you, it sounds like a dream day and great for spreading the "word", it's a pity everyone in the world can't read your story and see how much innocent pleasure CD acceptance can give.

Alicia.

battybattybats
11-01-2008, 09:50 AM
That is fantastic!

Superb!

Magnificent!

:hugs:

Patty
11-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Love the story and the out come :hugs:

Jonianne
11-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Congratulations Erin! That was wonderful!

Chari
11-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Erin, Thanx so much for sharing your wonderful adventure! Your image is that of a beautiful woman- not only on the outside, but inside where it really counts!

Nicole Erin
11-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks folks :D

Thing is a lot of people knew before but had not seen it. I just wanted to erase any doubt in their minds.

There is one lady who seemed kinda uncomfy, but I will talk to her Monday and let her know "hey you knew me before and always liked me, why would it bother you how I or anyone dresses?"

One thing that was funny, I was on one of the upstairs areas that overlooks part of the warehouse talking to Mr "I think it is funny" :D and a coupld ladies looked up at me almost in shock. I smiled and waved at them. I think it was the same ones who asked if it was my wife's dress.

But yeah I will have a busy day Monday with all the questions I am going to get, unfortunately I won't be going in all pretty. People don't know how to approach me about this but I always say "you can ask me anything". And they know I am cool, I am not going to get pissed or go running to the office to tattle.

I don't know if the place is a job or a stage.

One thing tho - my job is pretty much "family friendly" and like i said everyone kinda knew before. If I worked in some manly-man environment, I don't think I would have done this.

But yeah thanks.
Batty, you are always on about gaining acceptance and believe me sister, I am working on it as much as I can in my corner.

dianeleah
11-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm soooo glad it went well! Congrat! :battingeyelashes:

CD Susan
11-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Erin, I enjoyed reading your story and want to congratulate you. You have a lot of courage and are not afraid to express your inner self. You are an inspiration to all of us. I went out dressed yesterday too but only shopping in the mall and Walmart. The people I interacted with were strangers so it pales in comparison to what you experienced. Way to go girl!

lauraabdl
11-01-2008, 06:02 PM
You go girl. I'm glad it went so well for you, it gives the rest of us girls encourgement.
Laura

Janice1948
11-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Congratulations Erin. You are definitely high on my most courageous list. Now if only I can gain some confidence from your wonderful night out. My best to you. Hugs, Janice

BrianaMarie
11-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Kudos to you!!! :D

Pamela Julie
11-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks for sharing your day with us, it was an inspiration. Let us know how things go Monday.

Pamela:)

Nicole Erin
11-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah I try to inspire.
I am one of those "If I can do it, you can do it" types.

I am no lightweight in my CD life. [Please hold the jokes about me being fat. :heehee:]

Yeah now my only concern is what if people are going to be bored with me now? I mean I can't push it much further and I don't imagine they would tolerate me going to work all the time like that. But if they DID... nahh, I usually wake up late enought that I don't even have time to sniff test my work clothes, let alone spend an hour making up, choosing what to wear, dressing, fighting with pantyhose...

Hey I don't recommend taking after me, I am kind of crazy.

Christina2008
11-01-2008, 08:19 PM
You have so much confidence in your dressing, I wish Iwas like that.
Your day sounded like a dream, I’m very happy for you.

Samantha43
11-01-2008, 11:58 PM
That is an awesome story!

BethCD
11-02-2008, 01:51 AM
Way to go Erin!!! Thanks for opening the door a little for the rest of us. You have represented us well.

Beth

crusadergirl
11-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Thats great its always good to hear things like this happen. Your a true heroine

Raquel June
11-02-2008, 02:16 AM
That's so cool.

HA! exactly. One guy said "If you want to do something different than dress as a guy". :heehee:

A friend of mine told me the exact same thing after I mentioned my Halloween plans.

battybattybats
11-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Yeah now my only concern is what if people are going to be bored with me now? I mean I can't push it much further and I don't imagine they would tolerate me going to work all the time like that. But if they DID... nahh, I usually wake up late enought that I don't even have time to sniff test my work clothes, let alone spend an hour making up, choosing what to wear, dressing, fighting with pantyhose...

At least now you know they can handle it on the odd special occassion!

You may end up with the freedom to dress at work whenever it suits you and not whenever that suits you.

And that if it happens is a great thing for you and the community!

DemonicDaughter
11-02-2008, 10:16 AM
We don't get piccies? I don't understand....

:hugs: Kudos to you hun! I'm so proud to call you a friend and think you completely deserve this and so much more!

:love:
DD

Ronni Seymour
11-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Happy for you, Erin. I'm sure you did look great! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Kayla Shadows
11-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey Erin.Looks like your day went really well.Thats a great thing :)

Nicole Erin
11-02-2008, 10:27 PM
We don't get piccies? I don't understand....

Yeah I am going to have to talk to those who took my snapshot, see if they can email one to me...
I mean I didn't look any different than last time I took photos...

DemonicDaughter
11-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah I am going to have to talk to those who took my snapshot, see if they can email one to me...
I mean I didn't look any different than last time I took photos...

Does that matter?! :heehee: The point is to see your beaming smile amid the shocked faces. ;)

Daphne Renee
11-03-2008, 03:28 PM
I am glad your day went so well. I wish I had the nerve to go into work dressed.

Alice Torn
11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Things went cooler for you, than the time i dressed as the Pope, at work, in 1979!

pamela_a
11-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey I don't recommend taking after me, I am kind of crazy.Erin, there's nothing wrong with that. Like I always say, I don't suffer from insanity, I try to enjoy every minute of it.

You go girl. I'm proud of you.

-Paula-

Sally24
11-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Way ta go Erin!! I'm so happy that you had a day like this.

Jennie CD
11-03-2008, 08:45 PM
:love: Horray for you - congrats. I can't wait until I get up the nerve to just walk down the street. Try it again - and not on Halloween or any costume thing - it is what you and we are - so GO FOR IT.

Jennie

SarahLynn
11-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Erin, I could not be more proud of you if you were my own daughter . errrr son. eeerrrrrrr child :heehee:.

You went to work and got it right. And right, in the face of some potential embarrassment. You are by far stronger than I shall ever be.

If i could only do that. Right, I have this picture of me at the fuel island, climbing from the cab of my truck, LBD, hair of my wig done right, nails a loverly shade of dark pink, hose, low heels, and a shawl to hold me hair down.

Surely it will be in Wyoming, outside temp will be -25F, the wind blowing at about 60 mph, and snow to my, to my, ..... yeah all the way up to there.

Won't happen in this life time I can assure you.

SarahLynn