PDA

View Full Version : Tear jerkers, movies

Teri Jean
11-01-2008, 04:23 PM
A different thread got me thinking, wht is it when a movie gets to and emotional point or a happy ending the eyes tear up and the nose starts to run? Is it just me or does it happen to others? Also if it does to more is it because of our emotional ties to or CDing side of life that compells us to do so?:battingeyelashes:Keli

briannad
11-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Interesting question but as a kid I remember crying my eyes out to "Brian's Song" and just about every guy I know had a similiar reaction :)

Babette
11-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Is it just me or does it happen to others? Also if it does to more is it because of our emotional ties to or CDing side of life that compells us to do so?:battingeyelashes:Keli

No Keli, it is not just you. I love movies with a happy ending because they make me forget all my woes and feel good. I don't think is has anything to do with CDing. It's just a part of being human. I've said it before, but if you cannot show a little emotion now and then, then your heart probably pumps beet juice.

Babette

Amy Hepker
11-01-2008, 05:20 PM
I am very emotional too.

Teri Jean
11-01-2008, 06:01 PM
I guess it always seemed that the guys I grew up with and later in life look at those moments when I'm fighting back the tears and they would basically say hey sissy what's the problem. I still to this day have this emotional tug and I'm glad it doesn't go away. It makes me feel more human and more feminine at the same time. Hugs Keli

Sam44
11-01-2008, 06:02 PM
I often tear up before anyone else around me. I used to think I was under too much stress when it happened :) Now I know better, it's just me.

Jodi
11-01-2008, 06:16 PM
As a retired soldier, I tear up everytime that I stand for "taps". When I look around me, I am not the only one with tears running down my cheeks.

Jodi

Jennifer Cox
11-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm not particularly emotional, but occassionally some movies make my eyes leak!

Christina2008
11-01-2008, 07:21 PM
I always get emotional at sad movies, but that’s what I enjoy about them

Angie G
11-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Keli I think it's our softer side. And it happens to me at times. I love my girl side.:hugs:
Angie

Chiana
11-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Geez, I am terrible about tearing up. I went to see "Sex And the City" with a GG friend and she ripped me off for crying during the movie. I do it at all kinds of movies, at weddings (even if I am not friends of the Bride or the Groom), all funerals, etc. etc. I can cry at the drop of a hat. I have never meet anyone male or female who is as prone to tearing up. I even cried during the movie "Rudy". A football flick.

justmetoo
11-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Movies, commercials, books - I can tear up for any. I think it has more to do with sensitivity than gender or CD stuff. It's a human thing, not a CD thing or a male vs. female thing.

Melani
11-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I think as CD we r just more in tune or should be, with our emotions than the so call normal guy, so yes a sad movie will invoke a strong emotional response, also we are even allowed to as men to get teary eyed at something sad. What you may want to try is to really take it all in and examine those emotions so you can keep them with you in your eveyday life. I think its important that you are able to hold on to your feelings, because feelings are what make you human not just CD. I know for me I repressed my feelings or emotions most of my life. It is only recently since I accepted my CD that I now accept my feelings, and now I am on the road to being, well ,a complete human being.

Teri Jean
11-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks girls, I know I can be more emotional than most and my family used to tease me but I can't wonder if the softer side has a large influence on this. Thanks Angie. Love you all, Keli

docrobbysherry
11-01-2008, 10:24 PM
I always get emotional at sad movies, but that’s what I enjoy about them

I'm the opposite! Happy endings, even in the STUPIDEST movies get me teared up. When I'm at the flicks with my daughter, I'm embarrassed occassionally!

Movies, commercials, books - I can tear up for any. I think it has more to do with sensitivity than gender or CD stuff. It's a human thing, not a CD thing or a male vs. female thing.

I think you're rite. I've never believed I had much, if any, of a female side!:straightface:

marny
11-01-2008, 10:54 PM
i have to keep a box of tissue beside the couch at all times for me or my wife. A good movie will do it but some commercials are so well done they can make the tears weal up. I think the people who make these things that we are so moved by would be thrilled to know they reached someone!

Samantha43
11-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I am very emotional. A sad movie will always make me tear up. I think it makes a movie so much better if I can get emotionally involved in it.

avril findlay
11-01-2008, 11:41 PM
I certainly cry at some movies, I can't help it. But I'm not sure if my showing emotion has anything to do with being a CDr. I know extremely macho guys who'll cry like girls at a sad film.

Love

Avril

Teri Jean
11-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Jodie,
Being a sailor and still doing color guard and honor guard services I also get real emotional but there is the history and significance of Taps that drives thought tears. But you are right in sayingit will have a huge effect at times. Thanks dear. Keli

Rachel B42
01-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Keli,
I can totally relate. Just last night I went to see the movie "7 pounds" with a GGf and we both got very emotional at the end. I have gotten teary eyed many times and think it is because I am in touch with my feminine feelings. It has brought me closer to the GG's I work with and a better person over all and I am extremely thankful.

Rachel

Susan.
01-04-2009, 01:21 AM
I cry at all sad movies and used to at weddings but I've gotten over that.

gagirl1
01-04-2009, 02:05 AM
Cold Mountain was so sad I won't watch it twice. Jodi, i'm not a vet, but taps just kills me every time i hear it. don't know what it is.

Christinedreamer
01-04-2009, 02:57 AM
I grew up in Washington, DC from the early 60s and thanks to my dad's involvement in the audio visual business we were priveledged to be at many functions where emotions ran high.

We were front row at 12th and G St at the turning point for Kennedy's funeral procession. Obviously no dry eyes anywhere including my Dad- a Republican too.

At the Washington Monument when the 48 flags around the Monument were lowered and 50 flags were raised celebrating the admission odf Alaska and Hawaii to the US.

Many times at Arlington Cemetary for the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Hearing echo TAPS.

Hearing Amazing Grace on the bagpipes.

Seeing many war movies where a soldier cries always makes me cry. (Obviously "Saving Private Ryan" is #1)

Seeing any movie, or story where a man or child cries out.

Seeing or helping with an injured animal.

Seeing or holding a child in fear or pain.

Hearing a spectacular piece of great music.
(this was especially true when watching Paul Potts' audition on Britain's Got Talent)

My mother looks at me as though I am crazy when I tear up. She only sees a big strong son and cannot reconcile that "he" really deep inside has a strong "she" side.
She has a huge heart herself but is a country gal who just does "what needs to be done, no tme for tears".

I hope to high heaven that I NEVER lose this tendency. I never want to be that hard.

Jennifer_Cross
01-04-2009, 04:09 AM
Me too... Can't help it, but I guess it's a good thing

Cissy Chiana
01-04-2009, 04:14 AM
I still blub at the end of the film Silent Running when the poor little robot is left all alone to look after the last garden as it floats forever through space.

Anna the Dub
01-04-2009, 05:39 AM
I am absolutely terrible. I cry at sad things, at happy things, really at just about everything, and I tear up at the most innocuous of things. I am very, very emotional. Always was to a certain extent even when I was deeply in the closet. I used to feel embarrassed about it, as it was not exactly macho, but now I am being true to myself, I just let it loose.

Shelly67
01-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Me too ...anything gets me blubbing ...... speshly music even openly blubbed at concerts - Pink floyd was a killer .
I,ve really welled up in company at these titles - mind you so did everyone else.
Shawshank redemption
Empire of the sun
( opening sequence overhead star destroyer shot me only , gets my excitement level overdosing ) Star wars
Elephant man
Dances with wolves

The thing that really kills me at the moment is charity adverts on the tv. If I see an animal one , oh my , I really go for it.

JoAnne Wheeler
01-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I have always been too emotional to be a typical BM - I hope that it is due to my female hormones coming through
JoAnne Wheeler

victoriamwilliams1
01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
That has happend to me a few times:)

Katrina red nails
01-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I cry at all sorts of things in particular happy emotional things like reunions of say kids with parents or long lost relatives. My wife says it is one of the things she liked about me. A man not ashamed to cry. Maybe there is a connecton inasmuch as we are in touch with our feminine side and caring is very much a feminine trait.

laura.lapinski
01-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I too cry at a sad or happy movie. I try to hide it from others most of the time. I also cry when singing certain songs, but I'm not sure why.

Christinedreamer
01-04-2009, 05:44 PM
As a singer, I was asked to sing "Go Rest High On That Mountain" at a close friend's funeral. Needless to say, I was honored and afraid at the same time. I had a massive lump in my throat when I started and when I looked at people in the congregation crying, that flipped on my own tear switch.

It seemed to take forever to finish the song and even longer for the tears to slow.

I have noticed how I have really become emotional since passing 40. Prior to that, I wasn't unusally teary.

I also noticed my Dad did the same thing at about age 50. Now he tears up when I call him then say "bye Dad" at the end.

I see him as no less a man now than I ever did as a kid.

jeniinnylons
01-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Just saw Marley & Me and cried at the end so bad.

susiej
01-04-2009, 11:16 PM
If you go see "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", bring a box of kleenex!

Hugs,
Susie

Scotty
01-05-2009, 12:42 AM
My SO always teases me, I'm the one to cry....

DawnRodgers
01-05-2009, 01:51 AM
I don't just tear up, they roll down my face. Anything sentimental just grabs me deeply. Bawled at the eb=-nd of the Bucket List. Knew it was coming but couldn't help myself. Hey, it's me. I accept itopenly and glad I have those emotions.
Dawn

Jess_cd32
01-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I just teared up yesterday watching Salena after she was shot and her loved ones were told she died in the hospital, my SO did the same.

Kathleen Grace
01-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Interesting question. Anyone remember Day of the Dolphin? " Fa loves Pa." I'm welling up with tears as I type this!:sad:

Laura Evans
01-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I cry easily at many movies, events, anything to do with a loving heart felt moment. I say it is my softer side but not sure it is because I CD. I use to be embarassed about it, upbringing as a boy, now I don't care it is a part of who I am.

Lisa Golightly
01-23-2009, 11:58 AM
I tend to well up at anything these days... wildlife shows... soap operas... cartoons... awwwww soooooo saaaaaad. It's largely hormonal of course, but I was always a softy.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is banned at the moment... that scene with Cat in the rain... I'd be a wreck... even thinking about it *sniff*

Karen564
01-23-2009, 12:43 PM
A different thread got me thinking, wht is it when a movie gets to and emotional point or a happy ending the eyes tear up and the nose starts to run? Is it just me or does it happen to others? Also if it does to more is it because of our emotional ties to or CDing side of life that compells us to do so?:battingeyelashes:Keli

I don't believe it has anything to so with being a Man, Woman, CD, TV, TS,etc.,
Just some people are just more emotional than others & many of these emotional bouts just get triggered because you can personality relate on how it would feel if you were in that persons place.

For me, it doesn't take much to turn the water works on, as to where my X could see the same thing and show absolutely no emotion whats so ever.

She used to always tease me about it, and say "Oh Gawd, here you go again" but I would just tell her, "hey, what can I say, I can't help it!!, Don't You have any emotions?, I'm So sorry that I don't have ice running through my veins like you."

And it doesn't matter how many times I see the same movie either, just one example is "Titanic" probably seen it 8 or 10 times or more, so the near the end is the worst part and Gets me going EVERY time, is when Jack's in the water and she's on the floating wood, and he tells her to "Never let go" and so on, it's from that point on, I'm balling my eyes out and get a headache. with a huge mountain of kleenex piled up next to me..

Oh well... I don't care..because I'm a Ruthless cold hearted bitch!!, LOL..

Karen

trannie T
01-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Men are supposed to be above sentimental emotions. Unfortunately despite our testosterone level we are still human beings. Some of us take more effort or are more successful in hiding our emotions. We do react differently to the same events, I do not cry over commercials and have never gotten all misty over an infomercial but I will not go see the dog movie, I can't afford the tissues.

Sarah89
01-23-2009, 04:26 PM
I only really cry at an emotional thing on a movie if I'm really engrossed in it, or if I actually try and sympathise, But if im distracted, or not too intrested It doesnt bother me at all, Just depends how "sucked in" I am to it.

Although one thing that always makes me cry nomatter what, is beautiful music

Cassia-Marie
01-23-2009, 05:17 PM
I used to be so embarassed about crying at movies and would often only go see movies with friends if I was sure it wasn't going to be a sad one. Now that I'm married and most of my friends have either passed away or moved away, it's just the 2 of us and our daughter and they don't give me much grief about it. Well, unless my wife doesn't understand why it's sad to me.

For example, whenever I see any of the Schoolhouse Rock episodes (especially "The Tale Of Mr. Morton"), I get really emotional. A lot of it has to do with things that happened when I was a small child and I identify Schoolhouse Rock with my childhood. My wife doesn't get it. And I'm not sure I totally get it, either - it is pretty strange.

What REALLY gets me going is the book "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. Again, it takes me back to my childhood which wasn't a very happy one. I thought that perhaps I always cried at that book because of my Depression but I tried reading it last week to my wife and daughter and 2 years of Prozac has done nothing to make me less emotional when it comes to that book. They just sat there looking at me in a kind of shocked bewilderment as I tried to compose myself over and over, sentence by sentence.

I've always been very emotional, though. When I was a toddler, my mother picked up on this and used to pretend to cry just so that I would start crying. She thought it was funny for some reason (again, I had a bit of a screwed-up childhood - LOL!).

Carole Cross
01-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I am very emotional and cry during most movies with a happy or sad ending. It seems to be getting worse as I get older, the slightest thing can set me off these days. I used to try and hide it but now I just let the tears flow.

Bernadina
01-23-2009, 06:43 PM
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button did me in last weekend.

Christinedreamer
01-23-2009, 07:03 PM
If beautiful music gets you to crying, go to YouTube and look for "Paul Potts' original audition". He was on Britain's Got Talent and as a result has taken the world by storm. There is also a short audition by a young man singing Pi e Jesu and the tears flow from everyone.

Kendra (Tx)
01-23-2009, 07:20 PM
"Sleepless in Seattle" always does it for me...5 minutes into it and I'm a wreck...and then in the last 5 minutes when Tom Hanks character ( Sam ) and Meg Ryan character ( Annie ) finally meet on the Empire State Building...( Darn..here I go again )...I have to make sure that I'm alone when I watch it...

http://kendra954.com

missizzy
01-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Me too. Last night I'm done watching some drama and my eyes start to let the tears go. Luckily I didn't cry much last night, otherwise my friend would noticed about it.:heehee:

There are many things that can touch my heart. If am watching a movie and really getting into it, I may easily cry in front of the others.

I'd remember that I was crying while calling my friend (few hours after my friend's funeral). It was a really terrible day though..

Anyway, I guess, we're on the same boat.. :daydreaming:

(p/s: Who cares about us crying for movie anyway?)

TGMarla
01-23-2009, 08:53 PM
I love good movies, but I'm not real up on a lot of "chick flicks", as my wife, bless her heart, glues herself to the Lifetime Channel, a veritable sausage factory for cheesy chick flicks.

But a movie like Terms of Endearment, or Bridges of Madison County has actors on display at the very tops of their game. Stirring performances, and very good movies.

And I admit I welled up quite a bit at the end of Bridges. On a side note, I went through Madison County in Iowa once, and actually saw the bridge from the movie, which is called the Hogback Bridge. Romantic name, eh? It's real close to where John Wayne was born, actually! I'm just an old softy, I guess!

justmetoo
01-23-2009, 10:54 PM
I recently saw "Young at Heart". To put it very simplistically, it's a documentary movie about some senior citizens who sing mostly rock songs. Very uplifting moments and some sad ones as well. I had tears rolling down my cheeks through most of the movie. :-)
Highly recommended!

TxKimberly
01-23-2009, 11:44 PM
As a retired soldier, I tear up everytime that I stand for "taps". When I look around me, I am not the only one with tears running down my cheeks.

Jodi

You and I both. In my early years in the Army, it was a task, a chore, something I had to do. As I got older I came to honestly understand WHY we do it, and what it means. You are not standing for a song, you are standing in respect for the many thousands of people that have died for our country. How could you NOT get emotional when you think of this and when you are given the honor of showing your respect for this? I'm getting choked up just sitting here thinking about it.

ColleenShivas
01-24-2009, 12:42 AM
I have no idea whether I tear up more or less than other CDs or GGs... Even speeches by our new president make me tear up.

Melora
01-24-2009, 07:52 AM
For me the movies are..
The NOTEBOOK = Absolute TEARJERKER Always...
Saving Private Ryan..
Schindlers List
Fried Green Tomatoes..
And..
Spitfire Grill
All of these make me weep like a little girl.. :( !!
Katie/Melora

Maria_1969
01-24-2009, 11:04 AM
I cry and am very emotional.... I do not think it has anything to do with xdressing or wanting to be feminine. Men that show emotion are simply more in touch with being HUMAN.

For example... Mark Messier (The Captain), a power foward, lengend of a hockey player and concidered by many to be the greatest leader in sports history has cried several times in front of thousands. I think his emotional side is what helped him be such a great leader...

Its healthy to cry....

Suzy Harrison
01-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I cried when Bambi's mummy got shot

Tomara
01-26-2009, 06:29 PM
I am very emotional also , and it could be a lot of different things the get me started , movies , plays , weddings , funerals , and even the news , and the tears could be tears of joy or of sadness , it all depends on the situation.
I have talked to my therapist about this and she has assured me that it is not a problem and that more men should be sensitive and in touch with there feelings.
I used to be embarrassed , but I am better about it now.
Tomara

tricia_uktv
01-26-2009, 06:39 PM
I definately blub to musicals to movies and musicals (see the blog). Interestingly it seems to be those in the 40's and 50's that engage me - and I was born in 57. I think its good to blub anyway :)

Lori A
01-26-2009, 07:09 PM
I've been a softy my whole life, and tear up at touching movies, and TV shows like Extreme Home Make Overs and even some books. I can read a novel by Beverley Lewis and bawl

danacd96
01-26-2009, 08:20 PM
If the movie is based on a true story and is sad I do get emotional and often times will cry. I don't think it has anything to do with me being a cd as much that it represents who I am as a person. I do care about others and often empathize with certain aspects of their story.

dana

tanyalynn51
01-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Im sure it has something to do with my being a girl inside- I just cry at just about anything. I think for movies Ghost does it the worst, but there is something about the way they portray the closure on the tv show Cold Case that makes me cry at the end of every episode.