PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance help!

Jamie S.
11-03-2008, 09:29 PM
I had my first meeting with a therapist for the first time ever today. Fortunately, he's a great person and offers a discount rate for uninsured transgendered individuals. He seems like a great person and I probably overwhelmed him a bit with my endless stream of aimless babbling. From the first sentence onward I just let rip years of bottled up feelings and memories.

It felt good to finally verbalize all those things in my head that were there for so long, the only thing I feel bad about it is that I couldn't cry. I wanted to, but I couldn't like my body wouldn't let me. It feels terrible.

Anywho, I need to get a decent health insurance plan soon. Doctors and meds and such are looming in the horizon and I'd like to be prepared.

I'm 23 and in good health. If anyone knows of a TS friendly and affordable insurance plan, Please let me know.

Zenith
11-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I couldn't cry either...this after sobbing like...well...a girl... the last few months...:cry:...must be the guarded male mode with another male still functioning...we will kill it soon enough sis...:tongueout

Can't help you on the insurance...but felt simpatico on the crying thing...:hugs:

Sara Violet
11-04-2008, 02:21 AM
I did not cry during any of my therapy either. I was on so may antidepressants I really couldn't cry unless I was very tired. It did not seem to make any difference in my therapy that I didn't show such strong emotion. I had a well thought out plan for transition, and was realistic about my expectations.

I am glad to see you both making the first major steps towards transitioning. You both should be very proud of yourselves. If I lived close by I would take you both out for ice cream :)

Zenith
11-04-2008, 02:24 AM
I am glad to see you both making the first major steps towards transitioning. You both should be very proud of yourselves. If I lived close by I would take you both out for ice cream :)

Awwwwww....thanks sis...:hugs:...I'm going to bed with that happy thought...:daydreaming:

Jamie S.
11-05-2008, 08:17 AM
*sigh*

As expected, I can't find any plans that don't exclude transgendered individuals or their needs.

StaceyJane
11-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Ok, I admit. I cried during my last session. I'm glad you found a therapist you like and you did get a discount which is good. My therapist agreed to cut my rates after my first few sessions which is really great.
I don't believe any insurance will currently pay for SRS but most health insurances do cover mental health.
I'm just not using my insurance because mine is in my wife's name and she still doesn't know.
Stacey :)