PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new wig

Shy Charlotte
07-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Hey girls,

I was wondering if you knew where I could acquire a wilder wig, something along the style that RuPaul had. She had some of the wildest wigs, and I just wanted to see if I could get one. I asked in the chatroom and someone mentioned that she makes her own wigs, so that's out of the question (don't feel like tying a carpet knot 40,000 times).

She's coming out with her own line of merchandise on her website, but it's not going to be up until sometime in August I think? Just curious if you gals could recommend something nice, and different. All the wig sites I've seen pretty much sell each other's merchandise, so I haven't seen too much of a variation and want something a little different.

Any help is greatly appreciated...
Shy Charlotte

Darby
07-09-2004, 09:04 PM
I could spend hours at International Wig! I just bought the attached and should come in the mail today The color of mine is 27/613 and I cannot wait. Also, Ebay and go to Seller: ldygothic. She has some nice wigs and cloths. Next month I'm planning on buying her XXXlongXXcurly 5 toned blonde wig.

Madilyn
07-09-2004, 09:19 PM
I could spend hours at International Wig! I just bought the attached and should come in the mail today The color of mine is 27/613 and I cannot wait. Also, Ebay and go to Seller: ldygothic. She has some nice wigs and cloths. Next month I'm planning on buying her XXXlongXXcurly 5 toned blonde wig.

What an absolutely GORGEOUS head of hair you will have. You must model for us when you've put an outfit together. Nice choice...I wish I could pull that off, I absolutely love long hair. It's very much a fetish ;)

Thank you for showing us your purchase, it's incredible. :D

Shy Charlotte
07-10-2004, 01:18 AM
Wow, thanks for the help gals. Found alot of great wigs on Ebay and internationalwig.com. Here's a few of my faves...
Kind of partial to the first one, but I'll need to find a way to get it in blue, so I might try some dyes to see what'll stick.

I'm also madly in love with this wig they have on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15737&item=3491144376

I wish I could show you the pic directly, but all the pictures are copyrighted. :(

I'd love some input (I'm going through a stylistic blue period, so let me know what you think would look good blue/black. And I'm kinda leaning towards bangs, since anything that doesn't cover my forehead will require some major eybrow overhaul, and I don't feel like getting outed to my friends and family right away.)

Tell me what you think (I'm going to make another crack at HotorNot.com, and hopefully this time I can come up with a better pic).

Luv you all,
Shy Charlotte

Cher
07-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Good morning Miss Charlotte...#1 is way too hot...#4 is also very attractive...thanks for sharing...kisses

wilma
07-10-2004, 01:30 PM
My pick is number 1. I also like #3, Cher and I are together on this one. I also like the one you picked on E-bay. Love to see you model any of these. lol

Gabrielle
07-10-2004, 10:02 PM
I've tried to imagine you in each, and my opinion is that I would see the first (Punky kats) would be the prettiest.

The ebay link shows a really lovely choice also.

I just love your look! I think to be young again, that's the look I would probably go for. (If only...:rolleyes: )

kristi cd
07-11-2004, 07:48 PM
I don't know if this is the place to bring this up, but I've always wondered what kind of luck others have had with buying wigs online? I would think that it would be really hard to get the right style/size/color etc without being able to try lots on in person. But then I've talked to Darby (the self proclaimed hair expert here I believe :D) and she seems to have great luck. I've also talked with others (not at this site) about getting wigs online from ebay and other second hand places like that and results were less than encouraging. :confused: I guess what I'm asking is is can you really find a wig that looks good enough to go out and pass wearing it, or are the ones from online just for messing around? I guess I'm still trying to get over having to go out and buy things in person. :rolleyes: Thanks for the help!

Shy Charlotte
07-12-2004, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the help gals.... I guess I'm going to go with the #1 style then. Rather than trying to spraypaint an $80+ wig, I'll try my hand at a little wig making, and try to graft a couple of blue wigs together for my uber-wig!! muahah. As for that nice little club number on Ebay, I'll see if I can make me own first... after all, what one idiot can do another can do. That said I'll have to admit I failed miserably at my attempt at corset making... Ah well...

Thanks for the advice and input gals...
If and when I get my new ensemble together I'll be sure to post it up to see what you girls think.

p.s. Blair, I've actually got a blonde page-boy wig, kind of a white blonde version of what I've got on in my avatar.... looks decent, but blonde seems so... conventional. Gotsa be different, ya know?

Luv,
Shy Charlotte

Shy Charlotte
07-12-2004, 03:03 AM
Dear Kristi,

If I do decide to buy a wig online (meaning my wig-grafting experiment fails like many of my other endeavors), then it'll be my first time to buy one from the computer, so unfortunately I can't share with you any experience in that matter.

I'd say your best bet is to measure the circumference of your head, and if you buy on Ebay you can email the seller to ask him/her what the size window is for the wig you want. Custom made wigs are very expensive, and are made specifically for your head. Most of the stuff you buy online is made for a wide range of people, and as a result has an elastic mesh as a foundation. I often share wigs with my girlfriend, and I've got a fairly decent melon (I wear large for most hats, and my girlfriend's head is so small that she often has to go to the kids section to shop), so that should give you some idea of the range these things will stretch. Plus, it can accomodate hair like hers (which is mid-back length to her), or like mine (I could probably keep Propecia in business on my own).

Another thing to take into consideration is the style. If your wig doesn't have bangs, then (at least with all the wigs I've seen) there will be a visible seam where the wig stops and your scalp starts. Unless you've got a nice hair line (in which case I'm jealous), then you can start the wig a little farther back, and assuming the wig is the same color as your hair, you can comb your hair back into the wig to blend it better. Another good thing about bangs is, if the style suits you, you can pull it down over your eyebrows a little, especially if you're the bushy eyebrow type that doesn't feel like plucking.

Make sure to choose something that you imagine would look good on you. I try to stay away from long, straight haired wigs (even though I love that look on woment) because it accentuates my fairly thick neck and broad shoulders. Remember, all the people you see showcasing the wigs are hot, sexy, GG's. They look good even in the pic next to what you're looking at on whatever wig website, modeling that green and pink clown afro. Just something to think about.

Curious about how you'll look? There's a program that can be bought fairly cheap called Cosmo Makeover (don't quote me on the name). Put out by the snobby types at Cosmopolitan, you can input your picture and see what looks best on you (hair, makeup, etc.). On top of that, you can input your measurements to modify a model that you can put clothes on, so you'll see how you look. Admittedly, no matter how much I tweak the model, I can't make her look like a man... just a lady with big hips and shoulders, and she's not very sexy to begin with....

Just some thoughts, hope this helps....
The Shy One

windycissy
07-12-2004, 08:52 AM
I just answered a question about how to cope with bad hair days on Ask Windy Cissy (http://snurl.com/askwindy)

Victoria Pink
07-12-2004, 11:36 AM
I stopped in at a wig store. When the clerk approached me looking at some I wigs I asked if they had ever sold a womans wig to a man. She said "we sure have" I asked her if she would sell one to me and she said "absolutely". From there we had a fun time finding the right one.

Victoria

jenny_k78
07-12-2004, 11:19 PM
I would go with #1, but I like them all.

kristi cd
07-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Charlotte,

Thanks for sharing. I'm not expecting anything that I could wear and be passable, just something cheap that I can try lots of different styles and such, to see what I like best. ;)

Hugs!