PDA

View Full Version : Yet another "self outing"

Phyliss
11-06-2008, 10:03 AM
About a month or so ago, I was in the local Payless buying a pair of shoes, ( brown pumps with a 3” heel) , as I was checking out I happened to notice a lady coming in the door, ( the day manager at my local gym, she knows me, but not “about” me ). Quick thought, hide or not. (scruit , one word meaning “I don’t care” ). Couldn’t have hid if I’d wanted to, she spotted me and waved as she walked over to me. “ what did you buy, what did you buy, lemme see, lemme see, “ in her friendly infectious way. Nice person, I really like her.
Of course I had to show them off. Didn’t feel one bit embarrassed. “ Cute shoes” was her comment. I mentioned that finding a nice pair of brown heels in my size had been a chore, and I was happy to find these. She commented that they looked comfortable and went on to say that she was looking for a pair of sneakers for herself.
Bid each other a good day and I left. Felt kinda good, not having to have to “explain myself”

I should mention that on a number of occasions when I see her at the gym I compliment her on her finger nails. Always has some nice artwork done to them. She’s mentioned that I have some decent looking nails also, ( acrylic overlay in a pale shear pink)

So, slowly I’ve been opening the proverbial “closet door” to her. Earlier this week I asked her if it wouldn’t be too much trouble to pull up a printout of my recent attendance at the gym , ( I keep a journal of what I do and when I do it there. Just wanted to check my dates of going ) .
“Sure no problem” she said , asked my member number and in a few computer strokes handed me a sheet with a listing from the past month. Usual listing of personal information. Name, age, address, things like that, in the section of “gender” there was an interesting note. ( I’m sure it’s some kind of computer glitch or oddity in the program, but…). For “gender” it listed me as , “ BOTH “ . ( Couldn’t help but think of Karen at that instant ) Laughed out loud and she asked what was so funny. Showed her the notation and asked her if “ THEY “ knew something about me, and was I THAT obvious.
Her only response was, “ You gotta live your life your way”
Now, I didn’t really come right out and “admit” anything, but I really didn’t leave a whole lot of room for doubt. This morning, I went over there to use the “electric beach”. She handed me the key to the #4 room which just got some new bulbs yesterday.
“ That room also has some mirrors to check yourself when you get dressed after tanning”
Couldn’t resist.
“ Oh goody , make sure I’m all properly tucked and my butt looks cute , plus be sure my straps aren’t showing.”
“ Exactly, wouldn’t want to be too revealing now would we?”
When I was finished , I handed her the key and noting that the place was kinda slow at that time , I took the opportunity to say “Thank You “ to her for being non judgmental about me.
At first she didn’t get what I was referring to and I though for a second “ Oops , I’ve gone over the line when I didn’t need to. “ Another second went by and she made “the connection” saying “ As long as you’re not hurting me or yourself, do what you want”

Had a lovely chat from that point on. Maybe it only lasted 10 minutes or so, but now she “knows” and it feels good to be “out” a bit more to those people who I come in contact with on a regular basis.

It was only 3 years ago that the very idea of “telling” somebody else would send shivers through me.

FREEDOM is so good

pamela_a
11-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Great story Phyllis, I'm proud of you. It's nice not having to hide isn't it. I like the designation of "both" for gender, I wish more places had that option.

It might not be long now before she gives you the key to the ladies locker room. :)

-Paula-

Phyliss
11-06-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm not too sure about the "both" thing. As for going there in blonde wig and pink leotards, ... well,.... er, ah, just don't wanna get "beat up" by that one gorilla of a weight lifter, don't think he'd take too kindly to me like that.

Key to the ladies locker room. Well, I'm sure it smells better in there than what I seldom use now. That room stinks, no matter how much they clean it. The mens locker room is clean and neat, but the smell is now into the paint on the walls and most likely won't come out unless they sandblast the place.

AliciaWeb
11-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Lovely story, acceptance, even from someone you only meet occasionally, makes life so much better. I've noticed that interaction with shop assistants has improved greatly in the last year or two. Is this progress? Lets hope it continues to develop.

Alicia.

Rachel B42
01-03-2009, 12:20 AM
What a great story! To find a woman to confide in without judgement, I will use this to give myself the strength I need if and when I come out. Thank you:thumbsup:

txrobinm
01-03-2009, 01:02 AM
I'm pretty sure that your nails gave you away looong before she saw you buying the heels. ;)

Glad it's going well,regardless of how/when you outed yourself!

marny
01-03-2009, 01:26 AM
very nice phillys. You have a friend!

Edwina
01-03-2009, 03:09 AM
Good for you Phyliss.
I know the feeling. I had it when I decided to collect my amp from the repair shop as Edwina. The lady receptionist has always been friendly when I have been in in male mode but her reaction to me as Edwina was fantastic. Basically, you only live once so go for it was her response.

Edwina

Darlene Dippy
01-03-2009, 03:56 AM
Great story Phyliss, a sort of road map for those of us who are struggling with how to come out.

Thanks for sharing.

Darlene

Phyliss
01-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Darlene

Thank you for taking the time to look up an old posting of mine. Kinda nice to see and re read something that I had thought was long buried.

"Long buried" around here means anything over 4 days old.

RachelDenise
01-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Very nice Phyliss. You are brave and have class. What a lovely combination.

Phyliss
01-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Very nice Phyliss. You are brave and have class. What a lovely combination.

In my case "brave" = just not caring anymore.

As for "class" .... well, ... I, at least, have the last 3 letters ... any recliner I buy, I have to get the "wide glide" model

Angie G
01-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Good for you Phyliss for just being you hun.:hugs:
Angie

JoAnne Wheeler
01-03-2009, 10:13 AM
That is a wonderful post - is this GG single ? If so, you might want to pursue that friendship
JoAnne Wheeler

Phyliss
01-03-2009, 11:08 AM
That is a wonderful post - is this GG single ? If so, you might want to pursue that friendship
JoAnne Wheeler

In my dreams I'd like the idea of pursuit, however the reality is, she's divorced, and from what I've determined it was a bit of a sour one at that. She's got two teenagers, (read baggage) and worst of all... I'm married ( 37 yrs)
Still,..... "I can dream, can't I?"