PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing and Public/Community Service

battybattybats
11-07-2008, 09:24 AM
The recent news that the USA has it's 1st Transgender Mayor http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1488099#post1488099 has me thinking.

There have been Transgender people in politics in many countries. Charities and community service too.

So I'm wondering then what people think of Crossdressers and public and community service. Everything from running for boards and office when out to getting involved in charity work when dressed.

victoriamwilliams1
11-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Here is the key to being successful, this may not be popular:)

If you are going to run or work in the public as a TG make sure you have a clean online life as online will be the first place checked this means all those X-XXX photos can haunt you.

My 2 cents

valenstein
11-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Great news Batty! I used to be in Big Brothers Big Sisters (fyi: a charitable organization in the U.S. that pairs adult mentors with a child who needs an adult role model). They pair male to male, female to female, so sadly I didn't get to be a Big Sister strictly speaking, but my child had a sister and I often took them both along.

I wasn't dressed per se, and never brought the topic up, but I was quite different from his family to say the least. It was a great experience.

Brandiwvr
11-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Worked the Katrina event, and several others as a member of the Red Cross. was not glam but did show my my softer side. was promoted to a supervisor and still enjoy my active volenterism. we need to remeber we make a big difference if we become viewable.

battybattybats
11-08-2008, 05:04 AM
Worked the Katrina event, and several others as a member of the Red Cross. was not glam but did show my my softer side. was promoted to a supervisor and still enjoy my active volenterism. we need to remeber we make a big difference if we become viewable.

Indeed.

And while going shopping dressed tells people you are an ordinary person to some extent, doing such good deeds dressed goes further, it shows you are a good person helping others.

People are more likely to stand up for us if a CD helped feed them when a disaster destroyed their home or while they were out of work etc.

Angie G
11-08-2008, 09:04 AM
What a great story Batty thanks for oassing it along hun.:hugs:
Angie

Brandiwvr
11-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Thank you, if any of you would like to join the Red Cross, look them up online or in local phone book. we can always use some caring sisters. and we will not discrimanate but this is still very unusual for some to understand. i went thru an intense background check, alot of tranning at the expense of the red cross. but what we get for are time we cant buy. when you are so tired you dont care what nighty you put on and some little child says thank you just for being there to feed and shelter them, thats reward itself and you will take this with you forever. go ahead right now look the local number up and call, you will be amazed before you are halfway thru. stop reading and go call.

Nicki B
11-08-2008, 01:01 PM
I always thought Richard O'Brien's Transfandango Balls (http://www.wayout-publishing.com/transfandango/), in aid of Manchester's Children's Hospital, were a great idea? :)

There are quite a few TS councillors out there and I know at least two people who've run for Parliament (although one was a candidate for the Monster Raving Loony Party.. :rolleyes:). A TS friend of mine regularly attends events in her role as a St John's Ambulance paramedic?

The closest I've got to 'public' service was helping to organise the last Bristol Mardi Gras and acting as a volunteer for the previous one.