PDA

View Full Version : Finding a friendly hairstylist

Jannis
11-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I have been growing out my hair for about 6 months and I have been telling my stylist it is just me wanting to have longer hair. She is OK with men and longer hair, but I wanted to tell her to start styling it unisex so I can wear it dressed or drab. Well, when I got the nerve to ask her for that, she left the area and now I want to find a CD friendly stylist who will help me with hair and, perhaps, beauty tips. I was planning on calling anonymously to various beaty shops and asking up front for what I want and is there a stylist available who would be comfortable working with me. I would love to find one who can treat me as a feminine client and talk about clothing, jewelry and make-up. Is this an appropriate way of doing this? What other questions should I ask? Do any of you have such a relationship with your hair person.

Jenna1561
11-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Jannis,

I'm sorry your regular stylist reacted in that manner - it was very unprofessional. I've done the same thing you're considering, that is phoning and asking if the salon had any difficulties with a transsexual/transgendered client. None have ever indicated it would be a problem. Finding a stylist whom you're comfortable with and is competent is a blessing. Don't let your previous bigoted stylist bring you down. Good Luck!

Jenna

tamarav
11-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I am a hairstylist and I hear this fairly often.

The biggest problem with this whole idea, is you, and no, I am not trying to be rude.

Stop worrying how we are going to take your request, you are not the first. Just walk in, find a stylist that you think looks good and ask. 99.999% of us will say, sit down. We cut women's hair all day so it is nothing different for us, just you....

Hairdressers love a challenge and if you ask you can generally get anything you want. Did you want highlights with that?

Remember, when growing your hair the ends will split and your stylist will, with you permission, trim them. So lets say you have the average growth of 1/2 in per month and she trims 1/2 in per month, you will see no net hair length gain. Brush your hair carefully and don't overtreat it. Keep it clean and condition it to keep the cuticle from splitting.

But don't worry about sylists, we will do whatever the client wants. I wax brows of men and women, cut unisex cuts on both men and women, do boy cuts on women and take care of men's long hair, that is what we do.

Take a deep breath, walk in and tell them what you want. No need initially telling them you are a CD but we have pretty good imaginations.

Your sis,

Tami

Angie G
11-08-2008, 10:08 PM
I have the best styli I could find and I live with her. She is my beautiful and loving wife.:hugs:
Angie

renee k
11-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi Jannis,

I found my hair stylist through a local Tg support group here in Detroit. She's worked with CD's before and is very comfortable with it. I've been with her for sixteen years. She absolutely great, helped get me get a hairstyle that worked with the face. Even helped with my makeup. I can't say enough about how she's helped me develop a passable image. If I were you, I'd definitely find a beautician it will be a rewarding experience. Just pick up the phone, or better yet drop by a few salons and talk with them about your ideas it can't hurt.

Huggs, Renee