PDA

View Full Version : What do you read?

NikkiBeth
11-12-2008, 01:42 PM
While sitting in a doctor's waiting room, full of people I picked up a copy of Vogue and started to look through it. I noticed some of the peoples reactions aropund me-
The men had a puzzled look on there face- why would a man pick up Vogue when there is a perfectly good 6 week old copy of sports illustrated next to it?
The two women sitting in my vacinity they both smiled and went on with their reading. One actually put the Elle that she was reading on the table next to me as she was leaving.
This started me to wonder, do any of you read/subscribe to Vogue, Elle, or other traditionally female magazines? and Do any of you read them in public when you are your male personna?
Just wondering
Nikki

tricia_uktv
11-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Yes, I don't subscribe because I enjoy buying them but I regularly read Look and Glamour. You get some great tips.

Lilith Moon
11-12-2008, 03:06 PM
In any waiting room situation I will grab a Vogue or similar if available and regardless of how I am dressed. Can't recall getting any "looks" though.

Billie_P
11-12-2008, 11:25 PM
I, too, have never gotten looks for thumbing through the "ladies" magazines at the doctors' offices.

balletchick
11-13-2008, 12:04 AM
I read Vogue, In Style, even womans hair magazines I have never noticed looks and if they did who cares its just a magazine!

I actually thought this thread was about authors so I had my list of authors reading not to jack the thread but I read Bret Easton Ellis, Franz Kafka, and H.P. Lovecraft

Angie G
11-13-2008, 01:36 AM
I have looked at them in offices never noticed if anyone even cared.:hugs:
Angie

Deanna2
11-13-2008, 01:44 AM
In any waiting room or take away joint I always read the women's mags. Sometimes I really do have to wonder at what the editors classify as glamorous when I would call it outright ugly.

suzy
11-13-2008, 01:50 AM
When in a waiting room, I will always select the most feminine magazine I see and look at the feminine fashions. I don't know if I got any looks or not but it wouldn't alter my magazine choice. I don't subscribe to any magazines but get a lot of racy catelogs; i.e. Fredericks, Victorias Secret, Venus, as well as a tone of ladies clothes catelogs; i.e Newport News, Speigel.... I do enjoy looking at fashions.:hugs:

ringedjohn
11-13-2008, 01:57 AM
My wife subscribes to Vanity Fair and I thoroughly enjoy reading it.

CD Susan
11-13-2008, 01:58 AM
When I am in a waiting room I always look at the womens magazines. I do not subsribe to any such magazines so I take advantage of the situation when I have the opportunity. I have never noticed anyone giving me strange looks for reading a womens magazine. If I did I simply would not care.

VeronicaMoonlit
11-13-2008, 02:08 AM
I read Marie Claire, Lucky and Allure regularly, I buy off the magazine rack but don't subscribe. I should, it would save me money and I'll get around to doing so eventually.

Veronica
Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.

Jess_cd32
11-13-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm really surprised you had those looks just from the mag. you picked up to read. If that happened to me I'd probably hold the mag sideways like I'm looking at a centerfold and utter Woahhh!!!! just to confuse them abit more,lol

They wouldn't bother me, I read whatever I want and could care less what they thought. Actually let them be concerned with what do I think of them for a change.
People just need to mind their own business and leave others alone, glad I live were I do, everyone puts up with everyone else and could care less what the other is doing (untill the fire trucks or cops show up) :heehee:

carolinewalker_2000
11-13-2008, 04:03 AM
I don't subscribe to any female mags - too expensive; would rather save the money for SERIOUS shopping! However, always read them in waiting rooms. Can't recall any odd looks though. Perhaps this is because in many waiting rooms there is ever only one token male mag; very old and dog eared!

caressa
11-13-2008, 04:55 AM
We, the waiting-room people, kinda expect everyone to be reasonably bored or on-edge while waiting, so I have no problems leafing-thru a feminine magazine... presuming I'll be immediately 'forgotten about' as soon as my, or their name is called.

Janet Bern
11-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Funny you should mention that ,, I also pick up female magazines in waiting rooms as we dont have them at home. I also feel like pulling out a page with a good makeup tip but havent done it yet,, I guess we all have the urge to do it so I do.
Janet

Celeste
11-13-2008, 10:15 AM
I subscribed to SHAPE magazine,there are offers for as low as $14.00 a year. Its so informative as far as eating right and exercising right,it focuses on living healthy,its a no frills, honest, straight forward mag and I suggest everyone check an issue out.You can go to SHAPE.COM and see for yourself what a great magazine it is.

ErikaK
11-13-2008, 01:14 PM
When I am in a waiting room I always look at the womens magazines. I do not subsribe to any such magazines so I take advantage of the situation when I have the opportunity. I have never noticed anyone giving me strange looks for reading a womens magazine. If I did I simply would not care.

:iagree: I don't bother to look,if I'm looking at any thing but the magazine it's to see what style of shoe's the ladies are wearing. :D

sometimes_miss
11-13-2008, 05:35 PM
I work with women, and get to read all the 'girly' magazines on a pretty regular basis there. I think only a few times has anyone questioned my reading them; I just respond that I like to read everything, I'm an 'information junkie', find women fascinating and want to learn as much as I can about how a woman sees the world. In doctor's offices I always bring a paperback book to read. Usually some kind of mystery.

Karren H
11-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I read any and every women's magazine when in doctors or dentists offices.. And I buy in-Stype and Gamour for fashion and makeup tips.. I even read my wifes Good House keeping!!

Lisa Golightly
11-13-2008, 06:37 PM
In Style & Glamour...

Jenna1561
11-13-2008, 07:55 PM
InStyle, Vogue and Cosmo subscriptions. Read any other "women's magazines" available in waiting rooms.

Jenna

Lori31
11-13-2008, 07:57 PM
I buy Cosmopolitan off the stand almost every month and I thoroughly enjoy reading it. In book stores I like to read all the celebrity gossip mags.

Tess
11-13-2008, 09:28 PM
There isn't much to look forward too when you know you're going to be in a waiting room situation, so women's fashion magazines are about it for me. And I though I was the only guy that did that! The things I learn at this web site. I'm disappointed when I go to get the oil changed or the car inspected and they don't have something for the girls to read.

Susan4
11-13-2008, 11:29 PM
join the chorus saying that most people don't care what you read ... especially in that setting. If they do ... ignore them.

In any event, for all anyone knows you could be the publisher, the advertising manager, a writer, a commercial artist. There could be a million reasons (not that you need one) for a man reading Vogue or any other magazine - women's or not.

Hug

PS - I was once on a men's raquetball ladder with a guy who was on the management team of a Bride's magazine.

Joy Carter
11-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Not what you would read maybe, but I like history. Any magazine artical that's informative, and can be read rather quickly. I have little time for books, and I just don't see anything in girly magazines, that interest me. No pictures are another story. LoL

Bethany_Anne_Fae
11-14-2008, 12:03 AM
I usually bring my mags with me as most waiting room shave nothing but older issues anyway. But when I do... its Gothic Beauty, renaissance magazine or Faerie Magazine. :)

*hugs*

Zara

Miss Tessa
11-14-2008, 12:13 AM
I read them at the psychiatrist's office, same as you lady.

Sally2005
11-14-2008, 02:30 PM
People are more conservative here in my town too... just ask the person looking at you, oh...sorry did you want this one?...and hand it to them. :-)