PDA

View Full Version : Body swap (science )

ether
11-18-2008, 01:44 AM
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/38664/title/Your_body_is_mine

Strange as it sounds, neuroscientists have induced this phenomenon in a series of volunteers. People can experience the illusion that either a mannequin or another person’s body is their own body, says Valeria Petkova of the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm. She and Karolinska colleague Henrik Ehrsson call this reaction the “body-swap illusion.”

Where do you think it leads?

Reminds me of the Minority Report scene.

(If a mod thinks it doesn't belong here, by all means please move/deleted it.)

StaceyJane
11-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm still waiting for the body swap machine Kirk was forced into on Star Trek once. If that happened to me I would be quite happy to stay a woman.

karent
11-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Unfortunately the only way to stay in the new body was to kill the old one.

(I'll put away my star trek geek hat now)

carolinoakland
11-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Check out a John Varley short story called, Options. I emailed the author once as changing bodies and gender was a re occuring theme and asked if he was trans or had ever considered it. He actually wrote back and said no, but it just intrigued him to wonder what it'd be like to have a gender fluid society. The story is in the short story collection titled " Blue Champane ". http://www.varley.net/index.htm.
Check it out. Carol

StaceyJane
11-18-2008, 02:15 PM
I read his book "Steel Beach" very interesting ideas about changing bodies. After I read this book I couldn't help thinking about how great it would be to live in that society. I wish I could live in his world and go to a transformation place and design a new body for myself.

Scotty
11-18-2008, 08:18 PM
My So and I talk about this, if aliens were to swap us around, or some other science fiction thing - would be MOST awesome for both of us :)

Bernadina
11-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Hey neat. Sensory allusion.

I can see it all now. A new form of entertainment. Clubs where you temporarily get to be someone else. I suppose it could get to be quite addicting.

tanyalynn51
11-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Im all for body swaps- I even know a girl who would rather be a man, although she doesnt know my secret. It would work for us, Im sure.

Alana65
11-25-2008, 04:56 PM
I'd be open to try it........even if it was only for a fleeting moment :daydreaming:

Valerie
12-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I wonder if the swap could be of only what we usually conceive as the body, since we would surely get some of the memories and emotions of the person we would swap with. As long as we could then have a sort of double conscience, that would be absolutely wonderful fun and perhaps even a revelatory experience!

Valerie

jo_ann
12-03-2008, 09:32 PM
I just read this (before coming here), guess I'm behind. Here's the article I read:
http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/081202-body-swapping.html

Supposedly the 3rd person camera technique really works, and I'm glad they decided to try it with body swapping. Don't expect any miracle, I would imagine it would be similiar to hypnosis where you sort of believe it to be true. Probably the more stimuli would trick your brain even more (say mess with the sense of smell by shooting perfume across your nose as you see the woman sprays it on herself).

I'd actually thought about doing some experiments like this myself.. spy cams are dirt cheap ($30 on ebay typically, $60 if you want wireless), and then you just need a decent pair of LCD display glasses (I've seen 640x480 for $300).

I've also read about OBE (out of body experience), and it's interesting how we've been attached to our bodies for so long we dont' even think about it, but with techniques like this we start to learn that we are not our bodies.

Kristilady
12-09-2008, 09:13 PM
I am a person that is very interested in a Paranormal. I love movies and shows of this type. I do believe in previous life regression. With regard to body swap I have always had this fantasy since I was a child. I often dreamed about it as a child. All of my fantasies were of course moving into the body of some female. Brides, girlfriends, celebreties etc. I even made up stories at a relatively young age. I can remember having a girlfriend and once talking about us swapping bodies. She was very enlightened by this. I also even thought of it in a sexual way wanting to realize what it felt like as a woman.
I do not believe that science has solved this but I believe that it could be totally possible.
Wow can you imagine someone having a female mind and soul and being able to use this to correct their body.