PDA

View Full Version : How do I create a waist with an open back dress.

Natasha Anne
06-05-2005, 01:13 PM
How do I create a waist with an open back dress.

I can glue on my breat forms easily enough. I have a ball gown I want to wear, but it's got an open back, so it makes waist cinchers impossible.

Any tips for a rather difficult problem?

Ava Mouse
06-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Pad your hips more. A woman's waist is smallest at the belly button level. Pad your sides down to your upper thigh, and the butt just below the small of your back.

Wider hips will make your waist look smaller...

Natasha Anne
06-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Great idea, if I make my lower half look a bit wider, then my top half can remain as is. Boobs can create the impression of curves at the top.

I also have a Classic Curves Vernonica, but I think might ride up to high in the back.

I just had a thought too, it's a ball gown, so instead of all the padding, I might just buy a multi-layer petticoat to puff it out a bit. It's like the ballgowns you see at loralie.com so it would be perfect.

Ava Mouse
06-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Try the veronica with the dress. SAFETY PINS are awesome if you think something's going to slip a little. Go down an inch or two inside the dress and pin it to the veronica, this will keep both in line with each other. If you're afraid of it opening, take the time to sew a snap or two on the veronica and in your dress. It's as easy as sewing a button.

I use safety pins all the time to make sure my shaper panty and hose align with the top of my skirt. That way, when I sit down, my hose doesn't show. :D

Also keeps those separates/shirts tucked in. AND if you have a sexy blouse, you can pin it to your bra so it doesn't ride up or to the side. Great for bending over so people don't see your forms.

Keep a few in your purse, as you never know when you might have a wardrobe malfunction! At Esprit, the hook above the zipper broke, and ZOOM! down came my zipper! I didn't have a safety pin in my white purse... :cry:

As for the petticoat, go ahead and try. That's the fun of being a girl! Try it & see if it works!

Oh, and I have a dress from Loralie, one of my alltime favorites!

sarah8553
06-05-2005, 05:18 PM
I have to say, that dress and you go together a real treat... :)

Wish I looked that good. :(

Hugs n kisses,

Sarah. x

Holly
06-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Natasha, I hope you'll let us know how all this works for you... and some pics wopuld be fun, too! :D

uknowhoo
06-05-2005, 10:59 PM
OMG Ava, I thought "too bad she's already taken" when i saw your wedding gown pic!!

Natasha Anne
06-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Natasha, I hope you'll let us know how all this works for you... and some pics wopuld be fun, too! :D

Thanks all, there will definitely be pics!

Felicity
06-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Looks like Ava has the best ides so far. I have a radical idea I haven't yet tries, and it may or may not work. I'm sure it would work for me to a small degree, and enough to help define a waist. However, that doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

My idea involves using duct tape. Now do not try this if your skin is sensitive to the adhesive, and you should also look for the spray on type 'nu-skin' or similar liquid badage for a protective layer on your skin. I would also not do this regularly, or for more than a few hours. It may damage your skin, cause reddness, or even streach the skin if used for long times.

My idea is to use the tape to pull from your back, around the front, to the back again. Just don't tape the areas you wish to leave exposed. I have pulled my frontal skin around a tuck, leaving the tape long, then folding the tape back to hold the bikini in place, not exposing the tape. I normally do this with medical tape, but I don't think you will find tape wide enough and 'tacky' enough other than duct tape to do this.

Good luck should you choose to experiment. I may just now try it too. I have a 'racerback' swimsuit, I should see what difference this makes.

Sharon
06-07-2005, 01:55 AM
My idea is to use the tape to pull from your back, around the front, to the back again. Just don't tape the areas you wish to leave exposed. I have pulled my frontal skin around a tuck, leaving the tape long, then folding the tape back to hold the bikini in place, not exposing the tape. I normally do this with medical tape, but I don't think you will find tape wide enough and 'tacky' enough other than duct tape to do this.

This also sounds like it would have the secondary benefit of removing any unwanted hair. :eek: Yeowchhhh!

Felicity
06-07-2005, 09:30 AM
This also sounds like it would have the secondary benefit of removing any unwanted hair. :eek: Yeowchhhh!

LOL... yes it would, but I would assume anyone wanting to wear an open back dress will already be shaved...

Natasha Anne
06-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Luckily I don't have a hairy back yet!

Toyah
07-16-2005, 09:34 AM
I made a custom nipper for this problem uses a velcro strap to pull in tummy together with a plastic plate and material ath the front to stop bulges dont have pics of it but could do some if you want pic of me with just belt and totally backless top same as my display picture, best not to eat for a year or 2 if you want to look real good