PDA

View Full Version : A great Thanksgiving....

metalguy639
11-29-2008, 05:36 AM
I wanted to post this where everybody can see it so that it may help anyone who is looking to "come out" to your family. Now granted families are very different and not all react the same.

My relationship with my family has always been really strained at best. There have been major issues surrounding the family dynamics and what have you. I rarely talked to them, they rarely talked to me and had much to do with me. So needless to say things were never really that great between us. I think they really did not know what to do with me. I've always dressed in men's clothes, always acted like a man, was raised like a boy, and I was always uncomfortable in my own skin.

My sister & I moved back home in September 2008 to Daytona Beach, FL and my family lives in Jacksonville, FL which is about 1 1/2 hours from us. I got an e-mail from my Aunt asking if my sister & I wanted to come up there for Thanksgiving dinner. For some obvious reasons this presented a problem since I've been living as a man for about 6-8 months now. So I pretty new I had to tell them that I was transgendered and what was going on. To be honest when we went there they would not of realized it at all because I still dressed the way I always did and acted the way I always did, so in theory I did not have to tell them, but felt it would be easier in the long run (they would of questioned my sister's use of pronouns for gender if I had not). So in an e-mail I told my aunt that I was transgendered and explained it to her that I've always felt this way etc. I pretty much thought "Well, that's it, I'll never hear from them again!!!" But it wasn't. She mailed me back and said that it was ok and they loved me no matter who or what I was and asked if 1pm was ok. So they came to pick us up and we went. To make a really long story short, by coming out I think it put my family at ease because now they know what to do with me, I feel better about myself, they saw that and it was a great time. It was the total polar opposite of any other times that I've gone up there for any holiday function. So the moral of this story is even if you think that your family will disapprove, they may not and you never know until you talk to them. My family is EXTREMELY christian & they are EXTREMELY right wing! So you never know what can happen!

Felix
11-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi Hun I'm glad things are working out for you, I know only too well how hard it can be with family especially when they are devoted Christians!!! Mine are strict Catholics so I understand ;) xx Felix :hugs:

Sheila
11-29-2008, 12:41 PM
:Party2: :w00t: :w00t: :Party2:

metalguy639
11-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks guys & gals :)

ZenFrost
11-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Glad you had a great thanksgiving. :smilep:

metalguy639
12-04-2008, 04:37 AM
Thanks Zen.