PDA

View Full Version : What to do with clothes we don,t want?

Deborah Jane
11-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi everyone,
Quite often when i was in the depths of the Pink Fog i went out and bought clothes just because i liked the look of them.
Sometimes once i,d got them home and tried them on, i decided i didn,t really like them after all, as i expect others here have done too.
Over the last few days i,ve been sorting out my clothes and after sorting out what clothes i want to keep, i,ve found i,ve got some i,ll never wear, so i,ve just bagged them up.
Now i,m likely to just give them to a goodwill or charity shop, but wouldn,t it be great if there was somewhere or someway we could donate them to other crossdressers who may like and wear them, or a sort of goodwill/charity shop where the proceeds went to help members of our community.

What do you think?

Toni_Lynn
11-29-2008, 11:51 AM
This isn't exactly the answer that you are looking for, but about 16 years ago I donated a bunch of clothes that I didn't want to aid the victims of the conflict in Croatia. There was a gaffe in there, so who knows, perhaps I brightened the day of some Croatian crossdresser!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Jaydee
11-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Deborah Jane,
I generally donate my no longer desired items to Goodwill. I figure there is a good chance that they might end up with another CDer, if not, at least it goes to a good cause. My stash is limited by my ability to find storage space, so I cull through my stuff every few months, so that I can go shopping again.

Jaydee

TommiTN
11-29-2008, 11:55 AM
How 'bout a CDer's swap site? We do in fact have a section on this forum for buying/selling/trading.

geri-tg.
11-29-2008, 11:56 AM
I have been sorting out my dresses and skrits.I have a large bag full and plan on giving them to Goowill.They to good not to be used.I feel good about giving them away. The upside is now I can buy new clothes.:daydreaming:

docrobbysherry
11-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I sent a number of outfits that were too small for me, to my Russian friend and her teen daughter!:)

Most of my discards go back to their store of origin, Goodwill!:D

AmandaM
11-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I send them to Mexico. Some people down there don't even have shoes.

Sarah Martin
11-29-2008, 12:38 PM
I normally give to a charity shop, but have clothes and wigs that I'd prefer to give to another CD if I could...I am not sure about the 'etiquette' of doing this, though and hygiene is an issue. (I would always wash/iron before sending).

A CD 'swap-shop' sounds great. Frankly, I'd give my stuff away to a good home for just the postage cost if I thought it was helping out another girl from this site.

Sarah

Karren H
11-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I've given mine to friends who wear the same size... or to crossdressers that can't afford nice things... or to local charities...

suezeq
11-29-2008, 12:47 PM
gave all my spares to da number 3 lolol

immike
11-29-2008, 12:51 PM
gave all my spares to da number 3 lolol
I give much of my wardrobe to Goodwill.I donate skirts,shoes,tops,etc.

Jenna1561
11-29-2008, 12:58 PM
I generally donate to goodwill, but I do sell afew things on ebay. I also offered many of my things to the local Tri-Ess group before donating them to Goodwill.

Jenna

Jolene
11-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I have been sorting out my dresses and skrits.I have a large bag full and plan on giving them to Goowill.They to good not to be used.I feel good about giving them away. The upside is now I can buy new clothes.:daydreaming:

The Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores are my fav places to shop. It is easy on my budget and I have many nice clothes I have bought from them. So many nice things there and I have taken clothes I no longer needed in to them as well.
Jolene :)

Teri Jean
11-29-2008, 01:53 PM
I think it would be great to donate them to another sister but unless you have the avenue to do so the goodwill/thrift shop is as good a place as any. You never know there are a lot of CDers that shop there also.

Keli

Andrea_girl
11-29-2008, 02:02 PM
I sell mine on ebay

I never seem to get back what i paid except for 1 skirt suit which i bought for 10.00 and sold for 35.00

I really wish i had not sold it as it was lovely

Brina Halloween
11-29-2008, 02:37 PM
I thought I read an event out west had a donation thing for first timers to get stuff free.

TGMarla
11-29-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm with you, Debs. I have some dresses that should have fit, but just don't. And they're very nice, but they won't ever fit me. I have a couple of others that I find I'm just not in the mood for most of the time. It there was a CD who likes my style, and was just a wee bit smaller than me, well, I could do right by her.

Deborah Jane
11-29-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm with you, Debs. I have some dresses that should have fit, but just don't. And they're very nice, but they won't ever fit me. I have a couple of others that I find I'm just not in the mood for most of the time. It there was a CD who likes my style, and was just a wee bit smaller than me, well, I could do right by her.

I love your style Marla, it,s a shame we live so far apart, i,d buy the ones that don,t fit from you :daydreaming:

Tina B.
11-29-2008, 02:57 PM
We have a consignment shop that is for plus size women, and they welcome crossdressers, used to open one night a week just for crossdressers, so they get my hand me downs.
Tina

Shelly Preston
11-29-2008, 03:28 PM
You can always offer them in the classifieds section :)

Maybe help them find a good home

2b.Lauren
11-29-2008, 06:14 PM
I readily donate them back to the goodwill, salvation army or other thrift stores in my area. This is also where I usually by most of my clothes. I enjoy the thrift shops so very much and so I also like to give back as I am able to.

Robertacd
11-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Things that are nice enough I take to a consignment shop the rest go to Goodwill. Occasionally I will give some to GG's I know.

Cari
11-29-2008, 07:10 PM
You may want to check with a local support group or any of the events. I seem to remember the Lake Erie Gala doing a swap or silent auction to raise funds for the club. A swap nite or auction could be a very fun meeting for them as well. At the very least they may know of someone who could use a hand.

Cari

Jodi
11-29-2008, 07:21 PM
I generally give mine to gg friends. They are thrilled to get the items. Just this past week, I gave 3 pair of ankle boots and two pair of pumps to a young styist at the salon where I get my manicures and pedicures done. She was thrilled and said it felt just like Christmas.

Jodi

raleighbelle
11-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I keep hearing as a recurrent theme about giving things to Goodwill. I have shopped some at Goodwill, and have donated lots of things there. But I have never really figured out what the 'good cause' is that they do. I have been told the good cause is that they employ (for minimum wage) people who are not really employable anywhere else, so they provide jobs. But what is done with the money they get? They don't share it around with their employees. And I have not been told of where it goes. I am familiar with the Salvation Army and many of the other thrift stores that are sponsored by charities, but I usually am very familiar with what the charities support. Any info?

CD Susan
11-29-2008, 08:12 PM
I know I responded to this thread yesterday but it is not here. It must have got lost in the crash so I am posting a second time. One of the cd/tg support groups I am a member of will be having a clothing trade, swap, give away event at one of our upcoming meetings. Each member is encouraged to bring to the meeting any article of clothing that he/she does not want anymore. All the members can pick out anything that they want from the assortment of clothing brought in. Whatever is left over will be donated to a charity. The charity recieving the donated items will be informed that the donation is being made by our group and we will proudly let them know our groups name. Everyone involved in this comes out ahead and maybe we can even gain some acceptance from a segment of society by our generosity. I am looking forward to this and personaly I will be bringing to this meeting dozens of good articles of clothing. I think this is going to be fun.

avril findlay
11-30-2008, 01:19 AM
I give first choice (usually skirts or dresses) to GGfriends the same size as me then give the rest to a charity shop. I'm surprised that charity shops don't advertise or announce themselves as being "CDr friendly" as lot's of their customers must be CDrs.

Dorothy
11-30-2008, 05:50 AM
I have not got rid of as much as I should, but sell them on eBay with a low starting bid, almost like giving them away. You can list them as crossdresser items and a lot of CDs are buying there. I am one of them. And what ever $ you get can sit in your paypal account until you find something you would like to buy for yourself - so it is kind of a swap too.

Kelsy
11-30-2008, 06:47 AM
My closets are maxed out and the deal I have with the SO is that If I want something new something has to go!!! I usually do the shop and swap thing at my wifes local thrift!:)

Kelsy

Carly D.
12-01-2008, 05:13 PM
The clothes that I don't want make their way to the bottom of the box and every now and then they are the clothes that get tossed during a purge session.. they are usually too small or wrecked or just unbelievable that I tried to wear that..

Tomara
12-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I just went threw all my male and female clothes last week and put together 2 large bags to donate to the local survival center all of which was in very good condition , if they are too worn out I will use them for rags in my garage.
Tomara