PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel "well dressed" in fancy drab clothes?

Kerrylee61
11-29-2008, 01:14 PM
My wife and I were going out to a fancy banquet a week or so ago and as always my wife who could be a fashion model was dressed to die for. I love her sense of style and the image she portrays. Her makeup is a masterpiece every day. God I love this woman!!!!

Anyway, back to the banquet thing.... Of course I had to get dressed up for it too which meant wearing my tux. As I was checking in the mirror to see if all was as it should be, my wife tells me how handsome I look. I thank her for her comments but inside I hate how I look. My wife is dressed the way I want to be and that is that. Not the first time I've felt like this and it won't be the last.

For me, getting dressed up and feeling like I look wonderful is to be dressed to the 9's enfemme.... period. Sort of takes the enjoyment out of getting to go out to fancy gatherings for me.

Do any of you other ladies with supportive SO's have the same thoughts and feelings?

Kerry Lee

Sarah Martin
11-29-2008, 01:19 PM
I agree, Kerry. I only feel 'well dressed' when I'm en femme.

Teri Jean
11-29-2008, 01:50 PM
I feel like when I have to dress in drab for a function that requires a suit and tie I spend as much time as I would if I was dressing femme. The idea of dressing always appealed to me and it is why when I dress femme I take the time to do it right or as right as I can.

Do I wish I could dress in a LBD with 4 inch heels and look the part, yes, but the reality is I feel I fall short. Those that know I dress say I would pass without a problem but I am anal in this reguard. Oh well, the fun is trying and if I get it right, yessssss.

Have fun when you can dress and remember we live two lives in one, so when it is necessary give it your all for the little lady is worth the effort. She supports you so give her the support she would like. Huggs Keli

Jenna1561
11-29-2008, 02:02 PM
My SO is NOT supportive, but I absolutely abhor wearing a tux or suit and tie. A nice dress or gown is more comfortable and feels a part of me.

Jenna

immike
11-29-2008, 02:07 PM
There is nothing I love better than to sneak into mothers closet&pull out one
of her good outfits&dress in it,when she is away.I prefer to dress in privacy&
I usually dress in one of her outfits&sit down at her make-up table&do hair&
nails
Michelle

jasmine57
11-29-2008, 02:14 PM
It's fuuny to read this thread. I was just looking in the mirror thinking my make up was perfect and that I never feel this satisfied when I dress up in drab. Even while I'm just lounging around the house, I always feel better when I'm dressed than in drab.

TxKimberly
11-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I'd say you just described my feelings also.

kimmy p
11-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Men's clothing is unimaginative and boring. I have NEVER felt that any male outfit looked as good as the ladies are allowed to look. Even the basic LBD looks better than a man's suit or tux. The only male clothing that comes close is a full dress kilt.

Karren H
11-29-2008, 05:53 PM
My wife doesn't dress up ever.. I dress up a lot for work.. And conferences... And I look good no mater what gender I'm presenting!! In my humble opinion..

:)

Babette
11-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Dressing up in drab fancy clothes gives me a rash. Boo-hiss!

Babette

Ashley_1962
11-29-2008, 06:34 PM
not sure if jealous is the right word - but I definitely wish I was wearing the make-up, jewellery, stockings, heels, perfume on those occasions. Men's clothing is definitely much more 'conservative and boring', cuff-links just don't do the trick...

Deborah Jane
11-29-2008, 06:38 PM
When i wear a suit, tux, etc, i end up looking like an undertaker or a penguin :sad:
I,d sooner dress pretty every time :)

geri-tg.
11-29-2008, 06:38 PM
I do my best to stand out in a crowd no matter which way I am dressed.If my wife tells me I am handsome or cute it means I have done my best to look the part.

Rachel Morley
11-29-2008, 06:56 PM
My wife is dressed the way I want to be and that is that. Not the first time I've felt like this and it won't be the last.
Tell me about it! Thankfully I am allowed to dress pretty girly in boy mode and there's no problem, but very occasionally my wife and I go out to places and with people that don't know about me and so it requires me to "man-up" and dress in a unisex rather than girly guy way.

The big problem for me is that nowadays unisex dressing that leans towards the guy side feels like "manly man" to me. I know I shouldn't say this as I get to dress often but I am so jealous of my wife all dressed up to the nines when we go out to places like this and I'm in boy mode. What makes it even worse is that we often go out to formal events an dinners in restaurants and we're both dressed to the nines in feminine clothes .... i.e. I know exactly what I'm missing as I am usually doing the exact same thing with her! :sad:

Crystal Alberta
11-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Personally, I enjoy looking good in either mode. Of course, I rarely wear a shirt and tie, so it could just be that there's still a bit of a novelty to it, but yes, I do feel well-dressed in fancy drab clothes.

Crystal

Christina Nicole
11-30-2008, 02:34 PM
I've been well-dressed and out on the town both as a male and as a female. Clothing and accessories for females are much more stunning than that for males. Naturally, I prefer presenting myself as a woman. On the other hand, since I have to present myself as a man most of the time, I want to look decent; therefore, I tend to dress pretty well. My employer is "business casual," which I positively hate. I'm old-fashioned and prefer a suit and tie. I have many custom sewn suits that are very fine looking. But in today's business casual world, the best I can get away with wearing is a sport jacket with nice pants and a shirt or turtleneck.

Still, my employer, a major fortune 50 company, is big into PC and diversity. Since women wear suits, dresses, slacks, basically everything from the top of career wear to bottom of business casual, maybe it's time to come out... except my wife would hate it.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

AliciaWeb
11-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Mens clothing is so drab, dull and totally boring, although I do try to use bright colours whenever I can find them. To my mind a tux is the worst, I always feel like a twit although my SO is inevitably complimentary on my appearance. I just hate it when she says I look handsome, I know then I am in twit mode. Well dressed is full make-up up with heels, skirt and blouse, interesting styles and good colours to compliment my "natural" colouring.

angelfire
11-30-2008, 04:28 PM
I don't get dressed up too often for fancy events, but I do like to on occasion. I like to look & feel classy, even in drab.

lynn2c
11-30-2008, 04:31 PM
that's an easy question. NO
I don't even own a tie.

Charlotte Sometimes
11-30-2008, 04:38 PM
I often have to dress for work and ceremonies in a suit and tux and I am both comfortable and look good in drabs. I like to dress to look nice en femme or in drabs it means the same to me to put the best image forward.

suchacutie
11-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Male clothes are boring? Male clothes don't feel superb? Maybe a different wardrobe would change your minds.

Also, now that I'm aware of what it means to feel dressed "en femme", my dressing "drab" is far from drab. A well-tailored suit, brightly-colored shirt, matching tie, skin well conditioned, hair well-styled, nails well manicured...okok the low heels aren't terrific, but well-made and perfectly-fitting male shoes can have a wonderful feeling. Knowing that you look good is a lot of that same confidence we all talk about in the context of going public en femme.

Looking good while in male mode has always felt good, but now that I can spice it up a bit with the knowledge I have dressing en femme has given the suit I wear a few days a week that extra super feeling that gets noticed.

Why give up that super feeling when drab? I sure don't want to!

:)

both of us!!!!

Phyliss
11-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Just recently I had to attend a wedding and reception afterwards. Thought I'd hate the idea of wearing a suit and tie, but it wasn't so bad. Although I did have to pause a few moments to remember how to knot the tie.

Of course underneath it all I was "properly" attired.

izzfan
11-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Although I do generally find female clothes far more beautiful, interesting and comfortable than male ones I wouldn't go so far as to say that wearing a suit/tux was always a bad thing.

As I often just wear a black T-shirt (often a band T-shirt) and a pair of black combats, it does make a slight change to wear something formal. It was once said that you feel invincible when you wear a suit and I would have to agree with this to a limited extent. When I am wearing a suit/tux then I tend to feel more confident and sophisticated. Maybe I should wear one more often but it probably makes me feel so different because I don't wear formal (men's) clothes very often [I wear them a lot less than I wear female clothes :heehee:].

Then again, formal male clothes are generally quite dull and there are a few formal occasions where I would have much rather worn a nice gown. However, I seem to know very little about fashion (I understand some things about it but when women start talking about which shoes are "right" for an outfit or that some clothes don't "go together" I generally feel quite mystified) formal male clothes are generally more forgiving in that respect and few people are likely to comment if my tie or shoes are "the wrong colour" etc....

AmandaM
11-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I don't know, I don't own any.

Kerrylee61
11-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Mens clothing is so drab, dull and totally boring, although I do try to use bright colours whenever I can find them. To my mind a tux is the worst, I always feel like a twit although my SO is inevitably complimentary on my appearance. I just hate it when she says I look handsome, I know then I am in twit mode. Well dressed is full make-up up with heels, skirt and blouse, interesting styles and good colours to compliment my "natural" colouring.

Actually when I get really dressed up in drab my tux is Mess Kit, Military for Tux and like most women, my wife is a total sucker for a uniform... maybe thats why she married me all those years ago :) Anyway, we were at a conference a few years ago and the banquet was boring as all get out. My wife was enjoying talking to the people at our table so I excused myself and went back to our hotel room. As chance would have it, I had a short pleated mini skirt in the suitcase and 4 inch black patent pumps... Let me tell you that the end result was something to take pictures of and we did. Got them around someplace... Great memory!!!!!

Kerry Lee

Tess
11-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I wear my tux a half dozen or more times a year. Even at my best all I achieve is being the perfect accessory to my wife's outfit. There have been a few times when I felt well turned out...as I walked my daughter's down the aisle at their weddings but I'm sure no one noticed.

Rachel M
12-01-2008, 02:42 AM
There was a time when myself and some buddies were serious clothes horses. I was very close to "metro" thats how much detail i would put into my looks. I currently dress very casual. A coworker was chuckling at me last nite because I told her how good I look when i'm in my drabs finest. She only sees me as casual and found it hard to believe. So, when done up, i seem to always get the "you clean up well" comment from people.
Rachel

Jess_cd32
12-01-2008, 06:23 AM
I like the change up every now and then getting dressed up drab and wearing a tie and sport jacket, just as glad though later to hang it back up after a few hours. Wouldn't be into that at all on a daily basis.

carolinewalker_2000
12-01-2008, 06:30 AM
Whenever I go to a formal "black tie" do, I always spend my time looking at what the ladies outfits and picking out the dresses I wish i could be wearing. It is only small compensation for having to be there in a boring old suit.

Toni_Lynn
12-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Well, yes, but it has been coupled with underdressing. I don't mind wearing a tux. I'm not too keen on 3 piece suits, particularly in work environments, because I consider it phony. I'd hire a male job applicant who came to me while dressed business casual over a similarly qualified one in a three piece suit any day.

Hmm -- slightly drifted off-topic there.

All the above said, I will admit that, and I have said this before around here, I do have a fantasy of having a complete femme makeover, hair, makeup, nails, breastforms, black nylons, shiny black high-heels, the works, and then doing a glamour photo set of me wearing a tux. Course I'd also like to do something like this (the makeover) and do some shots wearing men's underwear.

I know, I weird .. but that's just on eof my endearing charms

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Jamie001
12-01-2008, 11:28 AM
I would never wear a tux unless it was brigh red or pink. When a man attends his own wedding, he too can look like a clone of the waiter. What the hell where people thinking when they invented this colorless uniform for men to wear? You loose ALL individuality and look like the next guy. It is nothing but a uniform to make all men look the same. The lack of fashion that has been imposed upon men is ridiculuous! No indivifuality or expression. Nuff said. :Angry3::Angry3::Angry3::Angry3::Angry3:

Tess
12-01-2008, 12:34 PM
I would never wear a tux unless it was brigh red or pink. When a man attends his own wedding, he too can look like a clone of the waiter. What the hell where people thinking when they invented this colorless uniform for men to wear? You loose ALL individuality and look like the next guy. It is nothing but a uniform to make all men look the same. The lack of fashion that has been imposed upon men is ridiculuous! No indivifuality or expression. Nuff said. :Angry3::Angry3::Angry3::Angry3::Angry3:

I happened to be in Key West and passed a formal shop. Believe me, their formal wear was anything but drab. At one time I owned a pink sport coat but every time I wore it on a particular cruise line I looked like one of the waiters.

Margot
12-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Kerry; I'm the same. I don't enjoy wearing my good suits. I'd prefer to be able to look beautifully dressed en femme. My wife thinks I look handsome in my suits but she knows that I have no use for male clothes at all. We actually laugh about that.
:hugs:
Margot

Sophie G
12-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I guess I'm a little different from everyone here...

In that I'm greedy and like to be able to wear both gender's clothes. I don't think mens' clothes are ugly, it just depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

Janie Gunn
12-01-2008, 09:01 PM
That also depends on your perception of 'fancy drab' clothes. I rarely have to dress up in a suit for anything and dont like doing so as much as I used to, although I take my time to look good, when I do. My perception of 'fancy' drab clothes is more like, the 'mens' leopard print, snakeskin print skinny jeans, and shirts, or red or green jeans or similar items of clothing, which I think are far from boring. Those of you who think mens clothing is boring, well if you've just got the 'same old, same old' kind of 'common' clothing, then I would agree, which is why I have the varied mens clothing that I have.

And I dont consider mens clothing to be boring in comparison to womens clothing. I like both, and for me it has always been about dressing to look different.

Janie

avril findlay
12-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't like wearing men's clothes and on the few ocassions when I have to go to a formal "do" dressed as a man I always feel very uncomfortable and spend most of my time jealously checking out the GGs dresses.

Lisa Catherine
12-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I work in manufacturing and construction so I actually like getting to put on decent drab clothes and go out, but I'll abandon THAT in a second for the chance to "doll up" and enjoy a night out with fellow CD'ers and Ggirls!!

txrobinm
12-01-2008, 11:34 PM
It depends totally on my mood. Last week I got a "handsome" comment from my SO and it just felt so wrong (shaved legs make even a suit, if the pants are lined, feel more girly). Yet today I'm feeling quite macho. I guess I like putting my best foot forward, whether I'm wearing my high-heeled boots or my men's oxfords.

Angela d'Evial
12-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I feel well dressed in fancy drab clothes because I rarelly dress up.
But if I see my wife in a dress that I tried before I think I look better in it than she does.

PamelaTX
12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
I look much better in drab than I ever could en femme, so yeah. I feel dressed up in fancy drab clothes.

It's not nearly as much fun though ...

Alice B
12-03-2008, 08:05 PM
I have a very nice and extremely expensive tux. I enjoy the chance to wear it and feel fine doing so. It helps enhance my male image to those that I do not want to know or suspect things about Alice.

Marshchild
12-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Well, this thread has given me a lot to think about (ie cue another loooong comment from me). I'd have to say that I agree with commenters like suchacutie and Janie Gunn that male clothes don't have to be boring. I've bought all kinds of weird and wonderful items of male attire over the years, including (but by no means limited to) a pair of black leather pants, a black leather jacket (with tassels!), some pimpin' black zip-up leather boots, a silver silk satin sarong (with dragons on it!), a silver and turquoise bolo tie, a whole heap of fancy belts, and a couple of Utilikilts, one of which (a most fetching purple-and-yellow nylon one) I'm wearing as I write this. And then there's all the male finery I've had made especially for myself, brightly-coloured satin shirts a favourite item.

I must confess that I'm not much of a fan of suits (although I do agree with suchacutie that they can look great with a brightly-coloured shirt and matching tie*), and am actually a member of that small minority of males who don't own one**. Thankfully I don't need one for work, and when I want to dress up, I'll usually throw together a classy outfit that combines some of the above items with (maybe) one or two pieces of women's clothing. I always hope that my efforts there help, in some small way, to debunk the ridiculous (but sadly widespread) idea that if you're a guy you've only got two choices when it comes to attiring yourself: wear a suit, or look like a slob.

I'm even less of a fan of tuxedos and would agree with all those commenters who complain that they make guys all look the same. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not like every other guy out there, so why the hell should I dress like I am?! Because of that, I've never worn one to any of the (admittedly few) formal dos I've attended over the years; instead, I've always thrown together some extravagant costume and gone in that instead (which ends up being far more satisfying than just hiring a tux anyway). My favourite was something I dubbed my fairy prince costume: slippers, silver tights, a frilly sleeveless tunic (made out of silver princess satin), matching cape, a silver sash with little leaves on it, and, the crowning glory (are you ready for this?), a little hat covered with green satin leaves! Ooh-la-la! I love it because I think it screws with people's heads. It's sort of feminine (obviously), but sort of masculine too, given that it was actually inspired by the extravagant fashions worn by male members of the aristocracy in centuries past (now they were guys who knew how to dress!). In addition, it's sort of rude (because it flagrantly defies the dress code), but sort of respectful as well (since it's very dressy, and clearly not something that'd be worn on any but the most formal of occasions). Sure I know I'm risking not being allowed in dressed in something like that, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. (It probably helps that I'm single, so I don't have to worry about incurring a partner's wrath by getting myself turned away at the door (something that's thankfully never happened).) And sure, as I said, wearing something like that could be considered a gross lapse of etiquette, but dull, outdated fashions only change when enough people start having the guts to defy them.

*A look that I'm nonetheless sure has all the male fashion "purists" frothing at the mouth with rage. One of the great tragedies of modern male fashion is that every interesting development in it seems to be dismissed within a few years as a terrible mistake.

**One thing I always find good for a laugh is all those silly articles in men's fashion magazines with titles like "20 Things Every Man Absolutely, Positively Must Have in His Wardrobe", since chances are I'll have only one or two of them, at best, in my own. Instead, the contents of my wardrobe would probably appear in an article with a title like "20 Things You Absolutely, Positively Would Never Expect (Not Even in Your Wildest Dreams or the Depths of an Ether Binge) to Find in a Man's Wardrobe". :heehee:

Tracey Corset
12-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I Know exactly what you mean Kerry Lee, we have our works xmas party tomorrow, my wife is going to wear a gorgeous dress and i have to ignore my double wardrobe full of lovely girly clothes and pick trousers and shirt from my small manly wardrobe Bummer
Tracey x

DinaMature
12-06-2008, 05:15 AM
Three piece suit n tie, sharp polished shoes...

can't touch a skirt heels, a nice blouse, and a little bling.

sall
12-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Still its allways good to see the other girls dressed in their best.

rebeca_abigail30
12-06-2008, 07:09 PM
When my wife dresses up for a formal or something, I wish I could too! It drives me crazy that I can't! She's not accepting, either, so even if we went to a dance or something as "girlfriends," she wouldn't do it.

Sarah...
12-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Nothing wrong with mens' clothes. Some of them look just fabulous. Not with me in them though! I feel cross-dressed in 'em and therefore never feel well dressed.

:eek:My mind is a FTM crossdresser and my body is a MTF crossdresser!! :heehee: What's a girl to do?

Sarah...

TGMarla
12-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Okay, My wife is not exactly supportive, but anyway.....

Hell yes, I feel "well dressed" when I'm all done up to the nines in guy-mode. It's a treat for me, and it's a treat for her. Every once in a while, a guy ought to be her woman's man, and putting on the ritz like that is just such an occasion. When you put on a tux, you know you're looking good. (Unless you're Ernest Borgnine.....:D) I like it, she likes it....win-win situation.

Hey, I'd love to be the one in the fancy dress at such an occasion, but I'll settle for being such a treat for my wonderful wife instead. Women are lucky they get to wear such wonderful garments, but it's hard to argue with a sharp-dressed man.

Alice B
12-08-2008, 01:48 PM
And remember. No matter how well dressed you are in drab..it's what underneath that counts.:heehee:

Jennifer Devine
12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
I've always been jealous going to occassions where the women are looking beautiful in their dresses and the men stand there looking like penguins!
I hate wearing suits! I have to hire one for my sister's wedding soon.
It's funny though because although i don't like wearing men's suits, i love wearing women's skirt/trouser suits with either a low cut top or a blouse.
There's so much more choice with women's clothes.
Why do men's clothes have to be so boring......

Jen xxxxx

Jamie001
12-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Because the role that has been defined for men since the Industrial Revolution states that men are supposed to be utilitarian and not care about their looks. That is the reason that men wear suits and tuxes and look like waddling penguins with no self identity. They are supposed to be good soldiers that all look alike.

I would love to see a US President or a Senator that doesn't wear neckties! 95 percent of men don't wear neckties now-a-days, why do politicians wear them? Why politicians make a simple fashion statement by going sans tie? I don't get it!

Jamie

I've always been jealous going to occassions where the women are looking beautiful in their dresses and the men stand there looking like penguins!
I hate wearing suits! I have to hire one for my sister's wedding soon.
It's funny though because although i don't like wearing men's suits, i love wearing women's skirt/trouser suits with either a low cut top or a blouse.
There's so much more choice with women's clothes.
Why do men's clothes have to be so boring......

Jen xxxxx