PDA

View Full Version : Something being "like this" has taught me (what about you ?)

jina
11-30-2008, 12:41 AM
I have lived a very normal life up till now in a lot of ways, and because of this "condition" I learned early on (rightly or wrongly) that making people comfortable was a very important thing to do. I've practically made a life out of being a peacemaker, and one who balances other's emotions in given situations. I've always felt I had an unusual view into other's feelings (some call this emotional intelligence I guess). Kinda felt like it was my gift or duty to do so.

Since really getting "real" with myself in the last few years, there are attitudes of mine I am realizing that aren't quite so benign in how they've effected me, and I'm getting honest about a lot of things in this regard. Being "like this" has shown me that what most people consider "normal" is simply a construct that is nearly completely superficial. It's kind of a "majority opinion" that fluctuates all over the place.

Growing up in the south, and then living a lot in the north and then going back to the south again... I see that what people consider normal even geographically varies greatly.

I am at a point now where I'm shrugging off the feeling of obligation to help keep everyone's picture of reality undisturbed. However, I don't believe in being indiscriminately destructive in the interests of full disclosure for the sake of my "honesty". Something I'm still working out.

What I'm saying is that,.. I believe this condition has given me a look into the tenuousness what a lot of people accept as reality, and always has. I think that is a gift of sorts (although a sometimes uncomfortable one).

What has this condition taught you ?

Jolene
11-30-2008, 12:51 AM
I ran across a passage in a book a few years ago that went something like this
" We all create our own reality and are responsible for the person living in it. "

We just have to do what is right and what suits us best. To have a good insight and to be understanding of others is always a good thing.
Jolene :)

Sandra Dunn
11-30-2008, 01:03 AM
What is reallity? It just happens that we share a reallity together, there are those that do not share our reallity. I could not see me in their reallity.

Since I've embraced this part of me and when I am me things seem to work out better for me, so why fight it.

You are who you are and as a nation we should allow each one of us to be ourselves.

HUGS Sandra