PDA

View Full Version : Non-Acceptance and Passing

Brenda's Friend
12-01-2008, 09:12 AM
In the Dec '08 issue of Scientific American on page 24 is an article called "Into the Uncanny Valley." This article talks about how animation gets very creepy when it get close but not truly lifelike. At about 60% lifelike, the general population is very comfortable with the animation, but between 70% and 90% it is very creepy, remember the movie "The Polar Express", the animation was very lifelike, but the eyes were not right, so it came off very creepy.

I think the same concept can be applied to crossdressing. At 60% convincing, most everyone is accepting; hence, the popularity of crossdressing in comedy. A person who looks very close to being a GG passes and is accepted in society. But, unfortunately for most of us, we can't get above the 90% convincing. So, we are seen as creepy because we don't look quite right. This is why I now believe there is widespread acceptance of crossdressing, it is not that it is wrong to wear the clothing of the opposite sex, it is just that for most of us, we don't look quite right. My wife loves Monty Python, but strongly dislikes crossdressers, go figure.

BF

StacyCD
12-01-2008, 09:42 AM
If you are a male and wear women's clothes just because you like them then you really care about passing (being accepted as a female) because you are just a bloke in a dress or heels and for some this is all they want. If you wear women's clothes, with the intention of passing (my definition) then you try hard to create the illusion of femininity which includes clothes, behaviors, mannerisms and voice. Most crossdressers will not get over the 90% but try as hard as they can. On the other hand, most comedians wearing women's clothes (for the purpose of humor) usually are not trying to create the illusion of femininity.

sometimes_miss
12-01-2008, 11:50 AM
At about 60% lifelike, the general population is very comfortable with the animation, but between 70% and 90% it is very creepy, remember the movie "The Polar Express", the animation was very lifelike, but the eyes were not right, so it came off very creepy.
Creepy to who? I know plenty of people who loved that movie. No one ever said anything about it appearing creepy.

I think the same concept can be applied to crossdressing. At 60% convincing, most everyone is accepting; hence, the popularity of crossdressing in comedy. A person who looks very close to being a GG passes and is accepted in society. But, unfortunately for most of us, we can't get above the 90% convincing. So, we are seen as creepy because we don't look quite right. This is why I now believe there is widespread acceptance of crossdressing, it is not that it is wrong to wear the clothing of the opposite sex <snip> that for most of us, we don't look quite right.

Widespread acceptance of crossdressing???? Where do you live? Sure, we accept it for actors, but that's because they are just playing a part, they (for the vast majority of them anyway), aren't 'expressing their femininity'. You won't see any actors sitting on the sidelines between takes giggling and acting like little girls unless they're working on a part. Yet you will see CD'ers acting very silly indeed, as if silly is what defines a woman. Read these and other CD forums; You'll see giggle giggles, sweetie's, honey's and tee hee's written all over the place (not so much here, but I'm starting to see it). Real females don't usually act or write like that.
People find us, as you say, 'creepy', because we are being inappropriate for what they consider normal. We're doing things and wearing things that don't fit with what we are supposed to be to them. When we're born the first thing people want to know is if we are a boy or a girl, because that defines what we are supposed to be by our society's roles. Yes, people may become more accommodating, but we will never be seen as women. We will always be seen as 'a man in a dress'.

My wife loves Monty Python, but strongly dislikes crossdressers, go figure.
Again, they're acting, and people acknowledge that. When crossdressers try to be feminine, we're not acting, and people acknowledge that, too.

Satrana
12-03-2008, 02:26 AM
Sorry your theory does not wash. Just try only wearing a skirt and see how many freak out at just that one article of clothing.

And the closer you get to passing the more comfortable people get because you match up to what people expect to see. There is less ambiguity in their minds about how they should treat you - male or female. The lack of a third gender means they have to choose themselves and that creates confusion and fear when you are clearly male but wearing female clothes.

This is why public acceptance of transsexuality is more advanced than for crossdressing because TS conforms to the binary gender system. We are taught to seek out normality so the closer you are to that ideal the more acceptance you will get.