PDA

View Full Version : Being trans and a second class citizen!!!!

Felix
12-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Today I was made to feel dirty for being transsexual Someone made out that it was ok to be out for being Gay but maybe not as easy or whatever for being trans, I'll try to explain....

The convo went like this,
Felix,
' I still want to get some support in for the staff to help them deal with working along side a person who is trans.'

Person,
'Oh I think it would be tricky because its not like being out and being gay! I mean people are all for that these days, more so! I mean it's different and I don't think the education would pay for something like that when there are more important issues for the staff to be trained on!'

Felix,
'Ya make it sound dirty!'

Person,
'No just that they would probably be funny about it and it would have to be done as a none obligatory thing'

I knew that already really

The joys of transitioning in the workplace hey!!!!! xx Felix :(:(

Lisa Golightly
12-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Sounds like they need to be sent on a course...

Joanne f
12-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I would definitely say that person has a problem and should not be in a position to be able to arrange anything as they have a complete lack of understanding.

joanne

Punkster
12-02-2008, 01:59 PM
I wish I could help more mate I really do....its about time the bloody education system realised they are subject to the Gender Equality Duty just as all public sector bodies are.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. You know how I feel about it, and its a subject that really makes my blood boil!

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Sheila
12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Felix,
:hugs::hugs:first off

No matter where you go, what you do, you are gonna come up against ignorant people .......... but geeze you would at least think those in education woule be more than willing to educate themselves as well as those they educate
More hugs :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

ZenFrost
12-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm sorry they keep giving you grief about it Felix. :sadp:

_Alex_
12-02-2008, 06:41 PM
how do they think gays got acceptance? Remaining silent, and being content being second class?

Wendy me
12-02-2008, 06:48 PM
you know i tried a few times to respond to this and i just can't find the right words ..... I was going to say I am sorry but I am not sorry........ i am well baffled that person's can accept just about anything .... but gender issues .....you would think that by now the world would have lost their hang ups on gender issues......

Felix
12-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Thanx peeps for all your thoughts and support on this it means a lot (((((hugs))))). The thing is I'm involved with a group who could actually come into my school and help with this and the school have all the information but like many things it's like banging my head against a brick wall :( so I will keep going and trying to educate them myself I guess as it looks like thats how I have to do it. It's extremely tiring though I can tell ya :straightface: xx Felix :hugs:

Sandra
12-03-2008, 09:23 AM
so I will keep going and trying to educate them myself

But you shouldn't have to be educating them yourself, they should be working along side with you. They sound to me as though they think if they don't do anything it will all go away, ignorant people is all I can say.

PortiaHoney
12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
It's really strange that gay's used to feel second class and picked on. Now they have found some other group to do the same to.........or at least be made to feel insignificant.

I work with a lot of gay people and they have found acceptance, yet I cannot be open with how I feel????????

C'mon girls and guys, we need to make the world aware and realise there are more of us than first appears. We need to stop trying to "blend".... And grow some of those things some of us don't want. (You can have mine if you want, I have no need for them)

Sometimes it "feels" like there is no one else like us, whether it's mtf or ftm or we are just there to be the butt of their jokes. (slightly off the track)

Good luck with your journey Felix. When you feel like you have nothing left, we are all there for you.

:hugs:Portia

:love:

Steph Butterfield
12-04-2008, 04:52 AM
Hi Felix,

I'm Stephanie Butterfield a transsexual support person, I have searched for what I can and see the Hull City Council's Gender Equality Scheme pdf at
http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/HOME/COUNCIL%20GOVERNMENT%20AND%20DEMOCRACY/COUNCILS/COUNCIL%20POLICIES%20AND%20PLANS/EQUALITY/FINALGES_07_0.PDF.

See section 5.7 Trans Staff on pages 13 & 14

Quote from page 24 proves your friend or colleague wrong

Consultation
Men, women and trans people told us that they appreciated the
opportunity to voice their opinions and identify priorities but
stressed they wanted to see positive changes as a result of their
involvement

Also see section 13 and 14.1

Their e-mail address is corporate.equalities@hullcc.gov.uk

yours

Stephanie

KarenS
12-04-2008, 05:19 AM
I am often times amazed that public law, and corporate policies are required to facilitate people getting along to simply accept others. Its one thing to provide ordinances and policies agains violence and the like but where there is no threat it shouldn't be an issue. It should be a matter of simple tolerance for another human being's opinion and way of life. I am not nothered by the kind of car you drive. Why should I be bothered or feel threatened if you are a CD in the workplace and choose to wear heels into the office? Geez.

In some settings, including my own workplace, it will be a long time before we are that tolerant - if ever.

Felix
12-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Thanx Ladies for all ya support on this :)

Hi Steph I'm gonna look at what ya have given me coz I'm extremely worried to say the leastabout all this.

Yesterday it got worse and I found out that my friend had been pulled aside and told that if she gets delayed for what ever reson getting to work that she is just to leave me. The words were,

"Before the head pulls ya on it, if there is ever a time when ya think ya gonnna be late then just leave Felix."

I was gutted to say the least. I also took a different angle on getting help in for the staff and I was told,

"The staff don't want it in there faces and nor do the children"

I told them that they had got it wrong about the children as they were extremely accepting and that is not where the problem lay. I'm getting fed up of pussy footing around coz nobody is thinking of my feelings in this it's all about how they feel towards me being trans :( xx Felix :hugs:

ZenFrost
12-05-2008, 03:35 PM
That's just nonsense. :Angry3:

Steph Butterfield
12-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Felix,

I tried e-mailing you some important files, but it came back as a failure notice.

Stephanie

metalguy639
12-06-2008, 10:06 PM
OK I've kept quiet until now. Possibly the best thing to do Felix is to hold your head up and tell them that you will not change to suit them. You are who you are and they can either accept it or lump it. I'm not sure about how the laws are in the UK but I imagine they are at least similar to the US on these kind of discrimination issues. Yes this IS discrimination and I'd actually inform them that they can either stop or they will be hearing from my lawyer. The kids seem to be just fine with it and this does not change how well you teach a class in the least. Remember to ALWAYS stay calm with them, I know that will be hard when they are not being as friendly as they can be, but its important to stay calm and present your case in a professional, dignified manner. Then if you still continue to have problems I would personally go see a lawyer about it and see if there can be a fire lit under them. This is just my personal opinion here and I certainly do not want you to take this and run with it and do anything rash losing your job or teaching position. But it looks like someone will have to be the adult here and it might as well be you...

Felix
12-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Sorry this has took me so long to answer, due to my op and my dad and stuff. Well holding my head up high is the only way to deal with them even though at times it is most annoying. Yes you are absolutely right it is discrimination how ever ya wanna dress it up. I am always calm with them staff and kids alike although I have got slightly angry on a couple of occasions with staff when they have been blatantly out of order and I have got appologies from them too. Yup I am being the adult Hun coz if not it could get messy and the rocking boat could very easily capside with this whole thing. So I am treading carefully and I'm just glad there are places like this that I can come for support and to vent xx Felix :hugs:

metalguy639
12-16-2008, 04:37 AM
Good! That is what is important as long as you are the adult the kids will look at the others like they grew second & third heads! LOL

bullride84
12-22-2008, 12:05 AM
There are such kind of ignorant people everywhere. Somehow they don't seem to understand that.

Just brush it off and enjoy your life.

Cheers