PDA

View Full Version : So, You want to be the guy?

Katie Ashe
06-06-2005, 10:24 AM
What guy job or profession would you desire to to if you could? Would you want to do it as a guy or would you still be the girl in that postion? Ex: Firefighter, front line soldier/combatant... etc. Basically what did you want to be as a child.

Katie

Abraxas
06-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Always wanted to be a rock star. Since I was three years old. I still want to but I also want to do other stuff now. None of it is particularly male or female...
So I want to be a rock star, artist, photographer, novelist, screenwriter, actor, astronomer (or astral photographer)... A few more in there too, I'm sure.
Also thought about being a surgeon or accountant for about ten seconds (literally).

But I definitely want to do all of it in a male way, or under a presumed male guise. I long to get onstage under the hot lights, feel the music and sexuality (which to me is entirely linked to music) and rip my shirt open like Michael Jackson lol

Katie Ashe
06-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks for responding, seems like you always come to my rescue on these silly Q's. Can you play any Instraments? I'm learning to play the Guitar with my daughter. It's cute watching her little fingers try to work the strings. I think everone can relate: the ending to Mr. Deeds... everyone has to compremise in life. I wanted to be in the military, did it... wanted to be a Master gun-smith, instead ended up fixing computers for a living.

I guess there is a little give & take in everthing.

Thanks Abraxas, your a real pal :thumbsup: .

Puer
07-07-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm a charity finance officer at the moment and am fairly happy with that. I work for a women only organisation so, have to be in female mode in my work life, although no-one would ever describe me as girly. What I would love to do is be a gardener and landscaper. I enjoy working in my garden, getting my hands dirty and helping things grow, as well as doing hard landscaping and using power tools! I haven't yet found the courage to take the financial risk of giving up a good job in order to go back to college and get the qualifications, skills and knowledge I'd need to make the change.

To answer your second question, I wouldn't be too worried about doing it in full guy mode as long I could dress in a fairly butch way - jeans, t-shirt or work shirt and chunky boots. I suppose this is primarily as I tend to dress only when I'm at home in the evening or at weekends and don't yet feel the need for it to be a public activity. What I would hate is a job where I always had to wear a skirt and heels!!!

MysticStone
07-07-2005, 04:07 PM
I already work a guy job. Something to do with telephone and light poles. Yeah, as you can imagine all sorts of pole jokes, all day long. I get to wear lots of butch things (boots, jeans, work shirt, gloves, and a hard hat.) I like it a lot. Just being summer it is really hot. I couldn’t work a job were I had to wear a skirt or dress. I don’t even think dress slacks would work.

"K"

Abraxas
07-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Thanks for responding, seems like you always come to my rescue on these silly Q's. Can you play any Instraments? I'm learning to play the Guitar with my daughter. It's cute watching her little fingers try to work the strings.

No problem :)
I play 9 instruments. That's cool you and your daughter are playing guitar together. :)
I've got a new website up, actually, that has my bio and song clips from my upcoming album, if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.abraxas.50megs.com
:D

patti
09-09-2005, 04:30 PM
I already work a guy job. Something to do with telephone and light poles. Yeah, as you can imagine all sorts of pole jokes, all day long. I get to wear lots of butch things (boots, jeans, work shirt, gloves, and a hard hat.) I like it a lot. Just being summer it is really hot. I couldn’t work a job were I had to wear a skirt or dress. I don’t even think dress slacks would work.

"K"
Just as a response to your situation; I am an Avid Fan and Supporter of Gender Role Reversal. As you stated, you work in "Guy Mode", and would hate to even wear women's slacks, let alone skirts or dresses. What would you think of guys working in jobs where they would be wearing skirts or dresses with makeup and nylons, makeup and such?

Patti

Abraxas
09-09-2005, 05:09 PM
I think that would be just fine, personally. I mean, as long as it was appropriate for the job (no high heels on a construction site, eh?). But something like office work, waiting tables, somewhere clothes don't physically restrict performance, that's fine.

CaptLex
10-02-2005, 03:24 PM
What guy job or profession would you desire to to if you could? Would you want to do it as a guy or would you still be the girl in that postion? Ex: Firefighter, front line soldier/combatant... etc. Basically what did you want to be as a child.

Katie

As a child I wanted to be either a cowboy, a pirate or the first female manager of the New York Mets. Actually, all those still sound pretty good to me. And I would do them as a female - in male clothing, of course. ;)

KrazyKat
10-03-2005, 03:40 AM
I truly admire Pat Jackson of the Lady Vols, Tenn. I'very good at motivating people to release their fears and go where they truly want to go. I talk myself in and out of a lot of fear situations, ie: public speaking, etc. Comes from my mom telling me the principal puts his pants on one leg at a time, just like your dad!
I learned I could do what I wanted to, bought a small racquetball court with my ex in the early 80's. Worked hard to be able to return an 80 mile an hour serve and did. Learned to fly a plane. After these things, an inner confidence was always present.
Kat

Abraxas
10-03-2005, 11:38 AM
I always thought I had the confidence to do anything-- I mean, for most people it seems to be scary to get up onstage and sing in front of thhousands of people, not hidden by anything (I'll admit it is a little easier when you've also got a piano or guitar or something to hide behind)... But for me it's no big deal.

However, with comedy, there is a bit of fear. And it's not an obvious kind of fear, even to me. It's more like... Well, I have no problem getting onstage and talking, but I get easily discouraged. I'm not all that naturally talented at stand-up (although Sina says I'm rapidly improving, much faster than him and a lot of other people he knows). I can be hilarious in regular conversation, where it's a sort of battle of the wits, but find it more difficult to have a one- sided conversation in front of people. Many times I've gone onstage with a huge plan to be great and tell certaing jokes or bits, and then if it isn't going well-- like last night-- I'll get through a few and then decide I just don't want to be onstage anymore. I cut myself off halfway through or whatever and walk off. I don't think it's obvious that I'm doing it... But like last night there was a small crowd, and a group of them were talking loudly amongst themselves during the whole show. I went onstage first, and these guys really discouraged me because they just weren't paying attention at all.
There's nothing worse, to a performer, than an inconsiderate audience, and these guys were just making it really difficult for all the comics. And the thing that really bugged me was that they finished their food before any of us went onstage, and then stayed the whole show, for 2 hours, just talking. And then they didn't tip us when they left. They really made me mad.

So when things like that happen, it just makes me want to leave the stage, and then I feel like a real ass because I didn't accomplish what I'd set out to.

I mean, they were the main reason I had a bad set. Actually, it wasn't that bad-- I've done a lot worse so I am improving, but not only were they making me feel like I wasn't worth their time, but they were also making it really hard for the rest of the audience to hear/ pay attention to what I was saying.

So, the point to that boring story is that in the last couple of months, I've realised that confidence is something I need to work on more than I thought. I need to get onstage and just be funny. I could really kill if I worried less about the audience. And if I didn't censor myself. I've knocked out really funny jokes just because, for one reason or the other, I was scared to tell them. And I really hate myself for it sometimes.

KrazyKat
10-06-2005, 12:25 PM
If you've ever had sales training, you might remember all the gimmicks u'r taught, ie: focus on the money, or goal, and what it will do for you or your family.
Realize it's a numbers game, if you "close" 2% of your sales, you have to contact 200 people to make 4 sales.
If you "close" 2% of your jokes, Eddie, you have to tell 50 jokes to close 1!
By close, I mean a successful sale. 'Cause isn't that what a comedian does, sell the punchline. Sure, it helps if your productline is good, but sometimes things work, and sometimes they don't. When they don't, it's practice at the exact look, timing, voice inflection, etc.
Does this help?
I've always considered SuperSales people, comedians, actors, and attorneys to be in the same categories. Just MHO.

Charlie

Abraxas
10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Yeah, it helps. I've never quite thought about it that way, but comedians could be good salespeople, probably :)
I know my material is good, and I also know that I need to work on my delivery, and on getting my energy up onstage. But then, I could be the funniest person in the world and if the crowd doesn't like my style, my jokes could bomb.
This crowd is into smut. And I don't do smut. My buddy Sina says Mo's is the hardest room to play in Utah, so I do think I'm doing fairly well as far as that's concerned. I think in a few weeks I'll start adding venues that are a bit easier (such as one 35 miles away, that is more family- oriented-- I'll have to watch my language but I think I could do much better there).

:)

KrazyKat
10-08-2005, 12:48 AM
I'll be looking for ya when ya hit the Midwest, Chi-town are or Merriville, In.
Wish I lived closer, I'd love to be a supporter. lol No pun intended!!
I've always had a love for the stand up, but never had the time or guts to try, except in the party atmosphere! I admire the hard work and determination you're putting into something you must know is right for you, Eddie!!!
Now, go break a leg!!
Is that only good for theatre?
Hope not, ya know what I mean!
Goodtime Charlie

Sophie_A
10-08-2005, 01:27 PM
I work 5 days a week as a software engineer for industrial control systems, and then on a saturday, i work in a bicycle store, used to do it when i was a student, still like the interaction with the customers. If i was to go to work dressed i would like to work in a clothes shop, i just like the interaction with the public, and hey you girls could come in and shop and know you would get a warm welcome.

Toyah
10-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Why is this so hard, I am a guy who likes womens clothes from time to time does not mean I am TS I am CD. It is not in my thoughts all the time and I dont want to be full time its a hobby, so enjoy it but dont try to analise it coz it just is not worth it, an have whatever fun you want from it.

Abraxas
10-08-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm into psychology, so I think analysis is worth it. But then, I'm not CD. Some people want to know the why's and wherefore's. If you don't then that's great for you. I think it's a bit simpler for CDs because there isn't this whole big multiple personalities thing going on-- I've been recognised as one thing my entire life and now I'm trying to break out of that and convince everybody of who I really am, and that's a tough thing to do. It requires some thought.

Lauren_T
10-08-2005, 09:08 PM
...might I add, as someone a wee bit wiser than yrs trly noted a long time ago, 'The unexamined life is not worth living.' Understanding others gets easier the more you learn about yourself...:)

Abraxas
10-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Good point, Lauren.

By the way, I LOVE Your avatar!!!

Lauren_T
10-08-2005, 09:51 PM
That's Sally, the rag doll from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas... As with all my assorted avs, I identify with her at times... also, as an avatar, she's 'Seasonally Correct.':)

Sorry for the digression, please resume where you were before my unseemly intrusion...:o

Abraxas
10-09-2005, 04:26 AM
Yeah... I love that movie. I always loved Jack Skellington. :D