PDA

View Full Version : voices in your head

Louise C
12-05-2008, 02:00 AM
When you read the posts on the forum, i wonder if you hear a female voice or male?

This may sound like a strange question but when i read them, it occured to me that some have male voices and some have female, it doesn't neccessarily go with how GG the avatar of the person posting is either. What gives?

I have the day off today, so i will be dressed all day - -HOORAY!:D Sorry, couldn't resist that one!

balletchick
12-05-2008, 02:07 AM
Thats funny I have never imagined any voice male or female when reading other posts. I hear my own voice in my head reading it to me but never assigned a feminine or masculine characteristic to the author.

I'm afraid to ask but what voice do you hear reading my posts? I think either way I will be offended LMAO

avril findlay
12-05-2008, 02:12 AM
As far as I can tell my "voice in my head" has no discernible gender or accent, but it is a very interesting question.

(btw Louise have a lovely "dressed" day,)

Oddlee
12-05-2008, 02:29 AM
When you read the posts on the forum, i wonder if you hear a female voice or male?

This may sound like a strange question but when i read them, it occured to me that some have male voices and some have female, it doesn't neccessarily go with how GG the avatar of the person posting is either. What gives?

I have the day off today, so i will be dressed all day - -HOORAY!:D Sorry, couldn't resist that one!

Mostly, the voice in my head is my own, which is unfortunately deep and gravelly. When I have truly "heard voices," they have been deep masculine. What does it mean?

Lee

jennCD
12-05-2008, 03:06 AM
Luckily the voices in my head stopped when I upped the dosage on my medication! LOL

:)
jenn

sometimes_miss
12-05-2008, 03:31 AM
If you mean do I 'hear' a voice reading the words, no I don't hear any. I don't know if it has to do with how I read or how fast I read; but if I heard a voice I guess it would sound kind of like those voice over people talking many hundreds of words a minute. I never took a speed reading course, so I don't read whole pages at a glance, but I guess I do read pretty quick, and I always thought other people read waaaaaay faster than anyone could speak, as well. Besides, the only voice in my head always seems to be saying the same thing....real quiet like...."order a pizza".

Angie G
12-05-2008, 05:35 AM
I think girl voices. A day off lucy you hun enjoy.:hugs:
Angie

Shari
12-05-2008, 06:08 AM
I love the question. It's something I was never conscious about before.
I did find that as I read your post and the other replies, I heard a soft female voice with every one of them. This is sooooooo cool.
The only problem is trying to muffle all the other voices that are with me. Sounds like a convention in here.

tanya1976
12-05-2008, 07:09 AM

Ha ha. That's a really good question. Personally I don't think in terms of either male or female, rather another category which I suppose integrates the two genders somehow. I suppose that also begs the question, 'How do you feel when you post here?'...Anyway, dressed all day, lucky you!

Sammy777
12-05-2008, 07:12 AM
I guess I sort of hear a version of my own voice when I read.

I know on here I find I tend to lean more on the softer side, write differently & use words or phrases I would normally not use in everyday life when posting.

But sometimes when I post a reply, You can tell it is coming from the to the point or shoot from the hip, guy point of view.

Seeing how others have already asked,
which side does mine more come across as?

PS: Have a great day dressed!

tamarav
12-05-2008, 07:13 AM
The voices I hear keep saying "we'll get back to you as soon as we come to a concensus of opinion". Maybe it is time to up the medication again...

Kate Simmons
12-05-2008, 07:37 AM
If you mean how the postings "sound" when I read them, they are mostly neutral, except for the folks I have talked to personally since I already know how they sound when they speak.:)

Joanne f
12-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Never really thought about that one as i pick up on attitudes more then anything else, but it might be interesting to have a go at it as you can do it the other way around ( hear a voice and picture the person )so why not , could be fun .

( i typed that in my deep husky voice):heehee:

joanne

MJ
12-05-2008, 08:43 AM
hey louise you hear the voices too .... :eek:

avril findlay
12-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Fascinating question. I'd never thought about it before, but now I suppose I hear a voice that matches the avatar.

So Avril sounds like Lilian in the Archers (she'll know who I mean), Sometimes-Miss has a high-pitched teenage voice, Oddlee’s already said it for herself, and Ballet-Chick has a squeaky voice like a cartoon character (well, it’s what comes of picking a cartoon avatar).

And as for you, Louise, you’ve got to be a Charlotte Green sound-alike, the sexiest voice on the BBC.

Lillian!......Ah well at least it wasn't Bill Grundy!

paulaluvssz8
12-05-2008, 09:24 AM
I guess that it will depend on how the person is writing. Choosing their words. You can tell by reading the post which persona(mode) that the poster is in. I find many post that I read that without looking at the avitar how much intouch the poster is with the girl within. Not a bad thing, but I usually can tell, some more than others.

Louise C
12-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Fascinating question. I'd never thought about it before, but now I suppose I hear a voice that matches the avatar.

So Avril sounds like Lilian in the Archers (she'll know who I mean), Sometimes-Miss has a high-pitched teenage voice, Oddlee’s already said it for herself, and Ballet-Chick has a squeaky voice like a cartoon character (well, it’s what comes of picking a cartoon avatar).

And as for you, Louise, you’ve got to be a Charlotte Green sound-alike, the sexiest voice on the BBC.

Charlotte Green! I don't know what she looks like but she does sound lovely! Thankyou!:love:

How fantastic having found R4 lovers too - i get soooo much stick at work because i am an avid listener to all the programmes.

The Archers rules and always will do! LOL!!:D

Jenny Doolittle
12-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi Louise,

Always hear or imagine a female voice, with all the inflection of a female voice. We are women inside and that is what is important to me, so I imagine the same in others.

Jenny Do

cindym5_04
12-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Sometimes I hear James Earl Jones reading them and other times I hear Morgan Freeman. I'm kidding- can you imagine though, hearing James Earl Jones reading "I love going out in my black tights and my shortest skirt"!?!

Really, I just hear myself reading them.

Louise C
12-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Sometimes I hear James Earl Jones reading them and other times I hear Morgan Freeman. I'm kidding- can you imagine though, hearing James Earl Jones reading "I love going out in my black tights and my shortest skirt"!?!

Really, I just hear myself reading them.

Ha Ha!! You're Funny!
How about Arnold Schwarzenegger saying, 'I'll be back"
when tottering off to a fitting room with a couple of minidresses for the Governors dinner.

I'm only joking, i'm sure he's all man!

cindym5_04
12-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Ha Ha!! You're Funny!
when tottering off to a fitting room with a couple of minidresses for the Governors dinner.

OMG I can envision that!! Too funny... or going back in after he's come out of the fitting room showing one off.

Sweet Cindy
12-05-2008, 10:12 AM
I always hear female voices. Coming to this site is like getting together with the girls. Friends have mentioned it's like two girls gabbing when we chat or pm. It's all part of the mindset.

What's funny is that after a few minutes on here or chatting while in drab, I'll look down and realize "oh yeah, I'm wearing guy clothes!". I just get caught up in feeling girly. And when I'm dressed as Cindy, that's when the super-chattiness comes out and my keyboard begs for mercy!

Fun question, Louise!

Louise C
12-05-2008, 10:13 AM
OMG I can envision that!! Too funny... or going back in after he's come out of the fitting room showing one off.

HA HA, You are too funny.:D

cindym5_04
12-05-2008, 10:14 AM
HA HA, You are too funny.:D

**takes a bow** Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

trisha59
12-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Sometimes I hear James Earl Jones reading them and other times I hear Morgan Freeman.

1. These two could read anything and it would be spell binding.

2. For the most part I just hear the words in my head. The few people that I have had more contact with I have come up with what I think they might sound like, which may or may not please them.

cindym5_04
12-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah, James Earl Jones and Morgan Freeman can get me to listen to anything. They have the most awesome speaking voices. The difference to me is while James Earl Jones really collects my attention, Morgan Freeman's voice is so calm and soothing, I can go to sleep listening to him. Could you imagine Morgan Freeman reading a bedtime story? I'm 36 years old and he would make me fall asleep with it!

tanyalynn51
12-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I hear my own voice when Im reading here, which is ok. My other voices love all of you:jumping:

Nicki B
12-05-2008, 08:42 PM
So Avril sounds like Lilian in the Archers (she'll know who I mean),

Surely Avril has a slight scots lilt? :)

Perhaps you're unconsciously picking up on writing styles - see here (http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.php)?

I've lost count of the number of trannies who don't understand why, when they say that, I find it funny.. :idontknow:

Celeste
12-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Sometimes I'll hear Charlton Heston saying "my god son, what have you done" as if it were coming from the movie "The ten commandments".Always cracks me up.But really,if I'm looking at a femme avatar,I'll hear something femme in my mind as far as tone goes.

deja true
12-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Gosh, Louise! You're kinda right with that "voices in the head" thing. I do hear a voice talking the reply sometimes...

But as SamanthaM and Paulaluvs both pointed out, it kinda depends on how I read the attitude or "presentation" of the words. Some sound like women. Some sound like girls. Some sound like guys. A few sound like they're trying too hard!

And, if we know where they're from, there's often an accent, too, that goes along with word choice. Aussies, Kiwis, Brit girls, Scot and Irish lassies, Teutonic maidens, French mademoiselles, Latin chicas, Southern belles, Valley girls and even girlsfrom the Great White North, eh? We're all here...an international sisterhood... :) (and mostly altos and contraltos,LOL!)

What a nice thing... and what a great exercise to try to work on!

Thanks for the thought, Red!

:D

(Oops! I just put the text of this post into the Gender Genie in NickiB's link above, and the computer just told me that my writing style is 2/3rds male... Uh Oh! Am I gonna have to start sayin' "OMG!" more? Or "LOL"?)

CD Susan
12-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Interesting question and one I have never considered before. When I read a post here I do not hear any voices be they male or female. I only "hear" what my eyes are telling my brain to understand. I think in the context of communicating with a female but there are no voices to be heard by me.

Alana65
12-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I've never really heard a feminine or masculine voice when reading the posts here...........at least I've never noticed it before.

btw----I tried that gender-genie link from Nicki and this is what I got........

Female Score: 106
Male Score: 97

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!

trannie T
12-06-2008, 01:15 AM
I hea Donald Duck. Do you think I have a problem?

Joanne f
12-06-2008, 04:16 AM
I hea Donald Duck. Do you think I have a problem?

No as we are a bit cwwackers

joanne

avril findlay
12-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Ha Ha!! You're Funny!

Since when has being "all man" ever stopped girls like us wearing minidresses?

Louise C
12-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Since when has being "all man" ever stopped girls like us wearing minidresses?

True.:)

Aurora27
12-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Every now and then when i'm bored I'll give my thought voice an irish accent for a few hours just to amuse myself but other than that its fairly nondescript

Jodi
12-08-2008, 08:06 PM
If anyone is hearing voices in her head, the psychiatric term for this is Schizophrenia.

Jodi

Crystal Galadriel
12-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I always hear something like my voice, but then, it's not really my voice either....

I hear it as though it's me talking, but the voice can sound like just about anybody, I guess. It's mine a lot of the time, but it's my SO's sometimes, and sometimes it's a character from a show I've watched or been thinking about recently. Sometimes it's a voice that I attribute to myself, but it doesn't sound like me.

These voices don't really change based on what I'm reading, just what kind of mood I'm in or what I've been thinking about. I usually read slowly enough to hear it in my head, mostly because I like the way it sounds and it sticks with me better to both see it and "hear" it, but sometimes I'll do a little bit of "speed reading" (never took a course, not that fast), and go too fast for the mental voice.

Kendra (Tx)
12-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Funny thing is, When I dream...I have a nice soft femme voice...I guess it's just wishful thinking on my part...But generally the voices in my head ( the ones that aren't telling me to stay home from work and clean my guns, LOL ) are femme...Like sitting here and reading these posts or when I'm in a chat with someone either in IM's or emailing...It's almost always female...Maybe my mind is trying to tell me something...:battingeyelashes:

http://kendra954.com

Teranika
12-12-2008, 04:05 AM
Gemini have 2 voices in their heads.
I dont hear voices when I read, maybe i read so fast. Meh

Jess_cd32
12-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Ha Ha!! You're Funny!

Good one:heehee:

Arnold also used to say "don't be a girlyman, watch me on channel 9", lol

Poor Arnold, have you ever seen that pic of him now on the beach in that speedo, I thought it was a joke at first, he really let himself go, never thought I'd see that happen.

No voices in my head either like the other poster that upped her meds to:heehee: Kidding aside I talk to the others here in fem mode, unless we're talking bikes and cars:heehee:

Sarah Martin
12-12-2008, 12:34 PM
What an interesting question! I guess that I 'hear' all your letters in my own 'Sarah' voice, which I imagine is a medium/high-pitched educated voice with no accent.

I wish....

Cari
12-12-2008, 01:03 PM
This is a great ? I went back and looked at threads Ive posted in. The voices I hear are definately influenced by the topicand writing style.

I noticed that threads on dealing with CD sound more like male voices, but threads on style and fashion read more like like two girlfriends chatting.

I noticed my word choices and writing style shift slightly depending on how serious the topic is.

Cari