PDA

View Full Version : Ever get caught knowing things most guys wouldn't know?

gillian1968
12-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi Girls,

I was out shopping in guy mode with my SO on the weekend, and we stopped into Lush (great organic bath & shower stuff in Toronto). The sales girl commented on my SO's lashes and asked what mascara she used. I could see she couldn't remember, so I piped up and said "Makeup Forever, Smoky Lash" - it was funny, the sales girl looked at me for a sec and said something like she loved how I knew that.

I didn't add that I was wearing it too ;)

It made me stop and think though, I wonder how many times I've unthinkingly offered up information that a regular guy wouldn't know or say?

How about you?

-Gillian

Sandra Dunn
12-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I can't say how many times since I don't recall all of them. I do know that GGs are surprised that I do know a thing or two about womens things. The fact that I'm a bellydancer surprises most everyone. What really gets them is when I talk about manicures and pedicures.
What really gets them is making comments about their shoes or the outfit they are wearing and then ask where they got them.
Isn't it just fun?
HUGS Sandra

Sammy777
12-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I could see she couldn't remember, so I piped up

Are you Really sure she couldn't remember,
or she just wanted to see if you would do what you did? LOL

Seriously,
Yes, I have said things that have landed my black patent foot in my mouth.

Knowing a little bit to much information has gotten me some looks and/or comments in the past.

My go to response to cover my ass has always been:
I figure I might as well know the exact names of what it is I like to see on a girl I'm interested in / dating / ect.

That seems to work pretty well for me, lol

Karren H
12-09-2008, 09:55 PM
All the time.. My wife and I were in claires a few weeks ago and she was looking for those platic earring backs.. I lead her right to the display and reached down and pick a package of them up for her.. Obviously I've been in there more times than she has.. She was overjoyed just to find them... And didn't want to know why I knew where they we're!! Lol

AmandaM
12-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes, but I was in a "Three's Company" situation in the 80's. I know a lot of deep, dark chick secrets and I can prove it! Muah-ha-ha!

geri-tg.
12-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Went Christmas shopping for my wife and bought a dress for myself also. The sales are great.The girl waiting on me with a smile asked if the dress was for me and I said yes we both just laughed. Little did she know or maybe she did.:eek:

2b.Lauren
12-09-2008, 10:42 PM
I have had it happen to me a few times. I have a couple of jobs many know my main job here but I also work some event security. I was waiting to go out onto the court after a basketball game and in line with about 10 other guys. We go out to make sure that fans don't rush the court and to be sure that press and others give the teams the chance to get off of the floor. One of the sports directors was doing something and she is a very beautiful women the guys in line were doing their normal guy stuff and saying it out loud which does offend me. If I could only be with that thing one time was the primary topic of discussion. I could not carry on that part of the conversation since I was far too busy admiring her shoes, hair, makeup and the fact that she did not have any pantylines. As I was working to withhold a comment about their crudeness one of the guys said I just love those pumps she is wearing. Without even thinking I blurted out they are not pumps they are slingbacks. I got many stares after that event. My daughter is sixteen and this year she decided she no longer wanted to wear sports bras. My wife and her had had various discussions about this and my wife was not really ready to take her in for a fitting. We were talking one evening about this and my daughter was asking her mother questions about how a bra is actually measured. My wife attempted to explain this to her but was off on how to measure back size. I corrected this and then explained further how cup size is also measured to the dismay of my daughter and her asking me why daddy why do you know that.

Nitas
12-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Pretty much every time my SO go shopping, she always asks for my opinion when it come to clothes and makeup. I get a few looks when were on the makeup isle, I tend to get a little excited sometimes when we're looking at lip and eye colors for her.

Kimberly Marie Kelly
12-09-2008, 11:33 PM
When people ask me what I'm going to wear and I tell them in detail. Specifically saying I need a 3 way convertible bra to wear with a plunging neckline Halter style dress with a low back. And they say how do you know to wear that style bra and I just say "doesn't every intelligent person know that" or "are you that dumb". Think its cool. :battingeyelashes:

balletchick
12-09-2008, 11:49 PM
On two occassions I have slipped and offered the "clear finger nail polish will stop the run in your pantyhose" to which the girls would say how did you know that, and my reply was I use to be in a band.

Then they'd say and you wore pantyhose? I said I wore spandex which still didn't convince them. Then I got annoyed and said "don't be so suburban" which didn't help either LOL

I still get raised eyebrows from both parties LOL

Stacye Rose
12-10-2008, 12:10 AM
I must be a glutton for punishment. This has happened to me more than a few times over the 30+ years I've been dressing. I have learned to have 2 or 3 go to reasons/excuses. If the situation involves hairstyles or color I say something to the effect that, I had a deal with my ex-wife that I would help her with hair if she kept it long the way I liked it. If it's about shoes or clothes I tell them I sold women's dress shoes for a major fashion retailer for several years and keeping up with fashion and trends was a necessary part of my job, "Yes, I was the Fashion Police." BTW-this also works if you are in public reading any fashion magazine. If it's about cosmetics or skin care I say my ex-wife was a Mary Kay consultant.

All these are at least partially true. The only way to sucessfully lie to someone is to tell at least part of the truth.

Susan.
12-10-2008, 01:24 AM
I say those things but on purpose to certain people. I always have some lame excuse. Usually using my wife as an excuse... she wears "kitten" heels, she wears "cap" sleeves, she uses "MAC", I heard her say she uses gloss on her lower lip because her lips are thin, etc.

jina
12-10-2008, 02:03 AM
Two examples a little off the beaten path:

I was talking movies with some guys at work the other day and after I went through my Sci Fi faves (which are safe) I said,.. oh and I just saw "The Notebook" recently (enthusiastically). One of the guys nearly went into convulsions and said "uggh,.. my girlfriend made me watch that... I thought it would never end !!! ". I immediately realized I was outed :) and changed the subject.

The other thing is that my wife and I were trying to think about what we could do to correct our young teenage daughter's behavior and without missing a beat I said "threaten to take her makeup away". I had absolute certainty this would work (it certainly would work on me :) !). When we approached our daughter with this possibility she turned absolutely pale and said "ok, ok" ! Cruel and unusual I realize lol... but it worked !

Lorna
12-10-2008, 05:24 AM
I'm very conscious of the possibility of admitting to knowing something which, as a man, I might not be expected to know but I don't think I have ever done it. When you've been married a long time you get to know a lot of things anyway - but it's somehow not expected that a man will offer an opinion about what we might call the technicalities of women's dress. I can say whether I think a dress is the right colour/shape/length, etc. but I would get strange looks if I knew what the style was called or what bra should be worn beneath it. I'm just very careful about those things.

Phyliss
12-10-2008, 06:01 AM
Happened to me about a month ago.
Went to my sisters wedding ( her third, don't ask ) anyhow, her granddaughter was one of the readers at the ceremony and as a result was expected to be well dressed. You just have to picture this 12 yr old child who hasn't worn a dress since she was 4 and has never had a pair of high heels in her life. Here she is clomping about like a cow and having a terrible time getting around. I just couldn't stand it anymore, her mother wasn't any help either. She isn't much better at wearing heels.
Had to give lessons on how to navigate in 3" heels and be able to go up and down stairs. Spent an hour with both of them. During this time I noticed the 12 yr old's nails. ( almost wretched from the chipped and half chewed look on them) I asked her mother if she had anything around to rescue them.

I was having so much fun teaching these two and doing her nails that I completely forgot that I hadn't "come out" to her. By the time I was done I had to admit that there was a reason " I knew so much"
Her response, " How cool is that, now I have somebody to talk to about clothes and makeup"

Side note about the heels. One minute after arriving at the reception the heels came off and her ratty sneakers went back on, while still wearing her dress. Talk about frustration aaaaarrrrggggguuuhhh

deja true
12-10-2008, 06:18 AM
There was a great thread about this very thing a few months ago that got lots and lots of responses. "Do you know things you're not supposed to know?" was the gist, i think... I still think about it with a smile when these situations come up.

I've learned to hold my toungue a little better in the all-testosterone environment I work in, but I still enjoy naming colors like teal, cerise and mauve! :D

And at big, dressy functions, I really get a kick out of the private little conversations I have with my couple of gg confidants about how the rest of the ladies are looking! LOL!

When laughingly called gay once by a 19 year old after using the word "teal" in a conversation with a woman supervisor, I advised him that if ya wanna be able to talk to chicks, you have to speak their language!

Keep it up, dah-lings! We've all got stuff to learn... :D

sometimes_miss
12-10-2008, 06:29 AM
It's easy, really; just admit to having lots of girlfriends and paying attention to them. The women I've had in my life were very important to me, so I wanted to learn as much about them, and how they feel, as I could. Those two confessions have usually gained me 'points' with the ladies I told them to, as well, I'm glad to say.

Jess_cd32
12-10-2008, 06:34 AM
A few months ago I blurted out to my SO 'thats not how you put on pantyhose, your gonna run them':heehee:

erickka
12-10-2008, 07:38 AM
I've surprised a lot of my wife's friends with stuff like that. I'd pipe up a correct answer and they just looked at me real funny. Little do they know....

Sarasometimes
12-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I do it fairly often but since i used to work in a fashion related business, I fall back on that as old habits die hard. The amazing thing is that when we do this women sort of wonder or ask why we know this stuf but they do really seem to appriciate us knowing it. As another poster said if you want to have girls in your life you need to "talk thier talk". I agree.
How helpful is all this knowledge this time of year when you need to be able to buy the rights things, in the right sizes and colors.
I was once seen in a lady's shoe store (legitimately shopping, JUST for my wife) by a guy friend and he asked, "What the He!! are you doing in here?' I simply said "I'am shopping for shoes for.... for her B-day, why do you think?" he replied "You can pick out shoes she likes?" I said "Sure, I just get her ones that are similar to what she gets for herself. You mean to say you can't do that for your wife? Get with it man." He didn't have a reply. I did hear later that he tried this and wasn't to successful, that is what gift receipts are for.

NewDresser
12-10-2008, 09:07 AM
It has happend to me all my life, but I just blame it on growing up as the only boy in the house with a sister and single mother, which is why I do actually know a lot of things most guys normally wouldn't.

2b.Lauren
12-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Reading Sarasometimes reply about meeting the guy friend in the shoe store reminded me of another instance for me. Early in my marriage I used to buy all of my wifes intimate apparel as well as other girly things. I was always comfortable doing this. It got to the point that she was so used to me shopping for her that she forgot what her actual bra and panty size was without looking at them. We were at a Christmas party for her employer one year and a friend asked her about the bra she was wearing. I was not with her at the time she asked and was talking to someone else on the otherside of the room, her friend said I need a strapless bra like that where did you get it and what size did you get. My wife's reply was wait a minute let me call .... because I have not bought my own underwear in about 7 years. I came over and joined the conversation with two other lady friends and a couple of their husbands. I gave them the proper advise about the bra, and the men just glared at me, but the women were so much more friendly after that. I have since stopped buying my wifes foundations since her style has changed for the worst since she started shopping more for herself. Maybe I need to take her panty shopping more often again!

Chari
12-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Years ago I worked as a "in store display merchandiser" and had to color co-ordinate the clothing displays and mannequins attire. With a natural eye for color and reading many fashion magazines, I had GGs asking me "does this go with this?" They thought I knew all this fashion stuff because of the job. Little did they know I loved to dress like this on my own time!

Cathytg
12-10-2008, 10:14 AM
My wife and share a great deal and she is thrilled that I know so much femme stuff. To say that I know all her sizes is just the beginning. In fact, last winter we shopped for bras for her and I was right and she was wrong.

cindym5_04
12-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I get busted on stuff like that all the time. My usual response when asked how I know that is "because I spend time with women and I pay attention". That answer usually wins lots of bonus points and generally ends the questioning.

sybercom11
12-10-2008, 10:39 AM
My wife flat out tells all of her friends about how I know about fashion and decorating and cooking.

A lot of the time, the gals respond that they wish their husbands were like that!

When I hear this response in person, it really makes my day.

Toni_Lynn
12-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Caught -- not exactly, but I do know about things and its been great.

First -- knowing about and being able to give a preference about certain products like :censor: that we don't talk about around these parts.

Then -- because of my training bra experiences back in 1971 a good friend of mine has said that she wishes I was a GG because my experience, knowledge of styles and brands based on what I wore, and feelings about getting my first bra (as well as the bit of gynecomastia -- and my associated pride :)) are so incredibly GG-ish that she wishes she could include me in the 'first bra experiences' book she is working on. Hmm -- in some ways I'm an honourary GG to her as far as that goes! She's never know a, shall we say non-GG, who has ever known as much or had the same experiences that I had.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

anouk
12-10-2008, 11:49 AM
So far I've managed to pretend not knowing too much about the girly stuff, still acting a little intersested in it to keep some heat on the issue for example when we go shopping with my wife.

CalvinKlein
12-10-2008, 12:19 PM
I have to catch myself every now and again. I can't be complimenting my sisters on their jeans. I can't say "clutch," but have to say pocketbook or bag. I can't act as interested as I want to be when talking about Victoria's Secret, unless of course it's the models I'm talking about. Sometimes I think "that's a nice racerback" while at the gym, or "cute halter top or LBD" while at the club or bar. But ultimately I keep these comments to myself.

Marjory
12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Usually watching TV with my wife I comment on what the girls are wearing. Some times I'll pick up where they're wearing heels in one scene and flats a couple of seconds later. More than one time at work I asked a girl where she got her shoes before my brain said don't ask.
Also, knowing what every style of female clothing is called has to make some girls wonder

Schatten Lupus
12-10-2008, 01:45 PM
The only time anyone has called me out on it was when I mentioned a price range of bras at Kmart and Dollar General. My coverup, which was honest truth, was I use to work at a Dollar General distribution center, and the shipping label things mention the price on them, and from Kmart because I inventory them.

Angel.Marie76
12-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm having a bit of a trick recently, as I've been out to at least three events now with my closest circle of friends dressed. Each event has been a 'special' event - Hallows x 2, a CD club night/etc, so I've had a pretty good cover/alibi each time.

HOWEVER, At the club recently I went to, I bumped into a girl that I hadn't seen in months, and she /had not/ seen me at any of the previous events. When I walked up to her I was in goth drab (normal) but with foundation and eyeliner, a little lip gloss to even out the look - again norm for enviro but not necessarily for me). She gave me a hug and we went through the usually how have you beens, and she stopped and said "I love your makeup tonight!" I didn't skip a beat and was like "Why thank you, I've finally been getting the hang of this HIP cream eyeliner, and the foundation is just a BEAR to put on and hide the beard shadow well, never mind trying to find a lipstick that wasn't too loud.." Which then was countered by 'You did all this yourself?? I'd say you know a bit more about this stuff than the average guy here tonight.' BUSTED. I just smiled, and admitted lightly that I might know a bit more than she was previously aware.

molly_maguire
12-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Doing my Mr.Blackwell impersonation with my wife. Fluent in fashion jargon, I've had some pretty good stares from being overheard in public, but luckily never from family members. It's just a matter of time for that, I suppose. I'll have some real 'splainin to do then.

Cary
12-10-2008, 03:21 PM
There has been so many times I slipped up, I can't count. I was natural bigmouth for a long time. I'm supprised only one person knows about me. I started got that creepied out response. I offered advice on almost anything even if I'm not asked. This has gotton me into too much trouble. I now keep my mouth shut unless asked. On those acciations I give as little info as I can.

Cary :)

kimmy p
12-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I rarely even try to hide my female knowledge anymore. If anyone questions me about what I know I tell them the truth. I was raised by my mother and I had a sister, I may not be able to change my oil but I can certainly match a outfit! Heck, after hearing me help my wife one time I was offered a job at my local Catherines. I RELUCTANTLY declined, there is no way I could have kept my secret if surrounded by all that female finery.

Leanne2
12-10-2008, 04:52 PM
My wife and I were in Dillards shopping when we ran into one of her co-workers. The friend was looking at an outfit and I said," Oh, that's a Nygard original." She narrowed her eyes at me and said," I'm impressed."

Deanna2
12-10-2008, 05:08 PM
I posted on this topic about a year ago and the general consensus was that it is not unusual for guys to know about femme bits and pieces. Particularly if a guy has been married for any length of time and more so if they have one or more daughters. It is just that guys don't very often air their knowledge. It's probably not macho to let others know how much you know.

Tess
12-10-2008, 05:38 PM
I have a reputation as a trivia fanatic and am very competitive at those types of games. On vacation I got myself on a team playing Family Feud, on stage before a few hundred people. The category was cosmetics and I surprised everyone by being an ace player. My explanation was that I see them advertised on TV.

tricia_uktv
12-10-2008, 05:47 PM
All the time, but for now I'm biting my tongue. Its actually quite hard because I want to join in the conversation. But I have to wait and make sure the time is right

insearchofme
12-10-2008, 06:43 PM
I tell anyone who questions my knowledge of things feminine that I've been married 37 years. Over that time you learn things.

Leslie Langford
12-10-2008, 07:29 PM
A couple of years ago, I joined an on-line discussion forum on the website of a prominent Canadian women's magazine so that I could participate in some of the exchanges there as "Leslie", as well as spend some quality "girl time" with the other regular posters.

In my introduction, I openly identified myself as a crossdresser so as not to mis-represent myself, explained my reason for wanting the join the group, and asked if anyone had any objections to someone like myself "playing in their sandbox" alongside them.

I fully expected a lukewarm reception, especially since this magazine appeals primarily to a rather mainstream over-30 demographic which includes a mixed bag of singles, stay-at-home moms, working moms, with a smattering of career women thrown in as well.

I was amazed at the positive reaction I got (including some who acknowledged personally knowing a crossdresser and having no problems with it), and was welcomed with considerable enthusiasm as an honorary "sister".

I have since gone on to both initiate a number of threads as well as provide comments on others - especially in the the "Beauty and Fashion" section which I particularly enjoy following. I established my credibility early on by giving advice on a number of fashion topics as well as shopping tips, which many of the ladies appreciated and complimented me on. In fact, I have come to be seen as an authority on a number of ladies fashion stores (types and frequency of sales, return policies, types of clothing they specialize in, consignment stores etc.), to the point where a number of the regulars specifically seek my advice on cetain topics e.g where to find a good quality front-closing racerback sports bra.

On of my favorite times occurred a while back when I weighed in with my suggestions on the topic of where to buy a reasonably-priced bra for the full-figured woman that would hold its shape and not disintegrate after only a few washings. I recommended a number of stores that I knew of and felt might fit the bill, but my fundamental advice was to get a proper bra fitting first, as statistics show that most women actually wear the wrong bra size for their body shape.

Well, that unleashed a lively discussion with a number of posters trashing me for going to a place where, as a man, I had no business being - both because of the intimacy of the topic as well as the fact that as male, in their eyes I could have no conception of the type of challenges large-breasted women face in finding a serviceable bra. Some felt that it was downright "creepy" for a man to be giving bra-buying advice; others took me to task for the particular stores I had recommended and how poor the selection and quality of their bras was.

I thought that I was really in the doghouse at that point when something truly remarkable occurred. A number of the ladies who normally don't post suddenly jumped into the fray and came to my defense. Maybe it was my response to the "creepy" comment, where I challenged my detractors to explain why they felt that my participation was considered creepy, when many of them probably had no problem seeing to a male gynocologist or obstetrician. I mean, after all, how "creepy" is it that a man decides to go into a profession that involves looking up a woman's private parts all day long?

In any event, this started quite a dialog between the opposing camps, the upshot being that my supporters carried the day while those making the derogatory comments ended up being on the defensive.

It certainly hadn't been my intention to start such a controversy, but the outcome did validate my presence on that forum once and for all, and demonstrated unequivocably what some of the other posters here have also alluded to - mainly that GG's really do appreciate a male who knows something of the goings-on in "girl world" and can talk intelligently and contribute to discussions about them.

Corsetted Nikki
12-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Well there was that one time when I was playing the game "Battle of the sexes" with some friends. We guys just killed the girls. We are an ecclectic lot and new a lot of the more traditional girly questions.

After we secured victory, the ladies went through the questions to try and find the one question we didn't have a chance at getting. One lady thought she had the zinger and asked, "Who was Anne Shirley's Beau in the Anne of Green Gables series of novels."

With Authority I said, "Gilbert Blythe".

Everyone in the room did a double take on that one.

txrobinm
12-11-2008, 01:36 AM
Talking self-defense at work in casual conversation- "martial arts are good 'cause you always have your hands. You might not get to your gun in your purse under your lipstick, keys (uh, oh, better save it....) ...or whatever else y'all have in there"

Trolling for an invite to a belly-dancing class.... "that would be intriguing on WAAAYYYY too many levels for me" and later on "you know I'm in touch with my feminine side"

I wonder if they've begun putting the puzzle pieces together- nah, haven't really noticed, I bet.

Sophie_C
12-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Nope, i'm pretty aware to keep certain topics off-limits!

PortiaHoney
12-11-2008, 03:46 AM
I used to do portrait photography when I was married. Most of my subjects were female and expected my wife to do their faces. I would let her do some but I usually ended up doing their faces and jewellery while she concetrated on their hair.

I used to love the look on their faces while I was putting on their make-up. Puzzled, scared, unsure, questioning. Especially as it was a small country town and I was "married" therefore it was OK to know "of" but shouldn't know "how" about this stuff. But they all liked the finished result - end of doubts. Little did they know that I got most of my experience practising on myself.LOL

I haven't done any portraits for some time now. Recently, my neice was putting on some make-up for the first time. It came to the blush and I told her to be careful so she didn't end up looking like a clown. So she came to me and asked how to do it. I put it on for her and we had a little talk about techniques and different types of make-up. After we were finished, she asked how come I know so much about this and I am a guy. The photography excuse came in handy yet again.

She now knows I paint my nails, and they are longer than most, and I colour may hair, and epilate. She has just come to the conclusion that I am weird - but in a nice way.

I used to worry about being caught - now I just accept that I am who I am. I have found that most people are surprised initially, but conversation generally tends to normalise after the "shock" subsides. This is a very nice feeling.

:love:Portia

Billie Jean
12-11-2008, 03:54 AM
When talking about shoes I have used peep toe which used to be open toe both of which most guys know nothing about these terms. Billie Jean

Lana Lang
12-11-2008, 04:11 AM
I remember when my girlfriend bought a new pair of underwear and I asked her if they were briefs, french cut, high cut, low rise, hipster, bikinis, boy shorts, string bikinis, v-string, thong, g-string and whether or not they were from Victoria's Secret, Marshall's or Gap's Gap Body collection (the three stores where she likes to buy her underwear from). It wasn't until I mentioned Gap Body that she was like "Oh my God, how do you know that??"

I just laughed, then changed the subject. :lol:

Evie08
12-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I was out shopping with my SO yesterday. She is going through the cosmetics isles looking for something. I ask her what she was searching for? She said she was looking for a new mascara that build tubes or something.. I said "Oh, the one from L''Oreal. Double extend tube mascara. They dont have that here." I guess I will have to go pick some up for her. Of course I just learned about it here from Karen Hutton's post. I said I saw it on TV.

Leslie Langford
12-15-2008, 01:40 PM
I do most of my shopping in drab, and am at the point where I will buy women's clothing, shoes, lingerie, pantyhose, cosmetics, and accessories etc. without giving a second thought to what others may think about it.

Maybe this confidence gained after many years of crossdressing somehow projects subconsciously onto SA's, and I have been engaged in some delightful conversations initiated by them where I could swear that they become totally oblivious to the fact that I am a man as the conversation progresses.

I have bought women's shoes where the SA or cashier has commented favorably on my choice, adding that she too, had recently bought the identical pair and how comfortable they are. I have also gotten numerous compliments on my selections of skirts, dresses, blouses etc., and especially my knack for putting together matching outfits which, for a guy, truly amazes them. Often this was accompanied by a wistful comment that they wished that their boyfriends or husbands would be able to buy such nice things for them as well rather than sitting at home on the couch guzzling beer while glued to a football or hockey game on the boob tube (hello, Karren :D)

I have asked female SA's for pantyhose by brand, style, size, and color, my knowledge of which they also remarked favorably on, and when that particular selection wasn't available, the conversations often segued into other options or choices as if that was the most natural thing in the world.

But my most surreal moment was when I bought a cosmetics case at a local department store and the female cashier began to go on and on about what an excellent choice I had made and how she had recently bought the identical one for herself. She then continued on to extoll all of its merits in terms of the various holders, compartments, zippered pockets etc. it had and how great it was for holding all manner of cosmetics in a single handy, compact, and easily accessible carrying case.

Much as I enjoyed this interaction, part of me also wished that she would just end her stream of gushing dialog as it was beginning to draw undue attention from the other shoppers nearby who were waiting impatiently to pay for their purchases. I nodded and smiled and thanked her for her input, saying that based on her recommendation I was now more convinced than ever that I had made the right "gift" choice. She replied that she appreciated my saying so and how lucky my SO must be to have someone as in tune with her needs as I was. I didn't want to spoil the SA's her moment by telling her who the real recipient of this cosmetics case was going to be, and I left knowing that in her eyes, I was "da man".

Now, if only I could get her to meet my less-than-supportive wife and repeat her praises verbatim...sigh! :sad:

angelfire
12-15-2008, 06:33 PM
I am pretty good at pretending to be naive or uninformed. It takes a smart person to play a dumb one.

RobertaFermina
12-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I got noticed by some girls once when I bent the knees but not my waist while decending to the floor to pick up a fallen item.

"<Gasp> He knows how to do that !?" one of my female co-workers cried out.

:rose: Winky-Winky :rose:

Emma26
12-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Well, I don't know if this counts, but it was hilarious regardless.

I somehow got my mom to get me some pink (and obviously, women's) house slippers, and when we were at the store looking for them she said "But we'll have to find some that are very large." and I said (thinking back on finding me some women's shoes before with my friends and how easy it was.) "No, that isn't necessary... I... have experience."

It was pretty funny, but she gave me a really weird look. :doh:

Fiona Lindum
12-16-2008, 05:42 AM
I can usually spot a bargain a mile away. On one occasion I was out with the SO and said that a skirt in one of the shop looked as if it was a bargain,she said how do you know that and I replied I look through her fashion magazines so I had worked it out from there what good value it was.

crossdrezzer1
12-16-2008, 06:49 AM
was with a girlfriend once years ago and seen this lady with open toe pumps and she had on stockings,, I said without thinking you shouldnt wear panty hose with open toe shoes,,the girlfriend said yup and then thought about it and looked at me and said,,,why do you know this,,I responded,,,just by seeing the toes I knew..... she shrugged it off and I learned to keep things to myself...

KellyCD
12-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Knowledge is rationed...a tool used by many people to get ahead of other people.

People with too much are frowned upon...

People without it are easily used...manipulated...taken advantage of...

Me? haha I indulge in it...I try to learn EVERYTHING about ANYTHING. Something I'm not supposed to know about? Well that only makes me want to know about it more.

I'm speaking more about knowledge in general but I'll try and constrain it to the topic at hand...

Yes people tend to be surprised at what I know about the female gender, as well as female related things. I brush it off though as people who know me have become used to the idea that I'm unbiased about knowledge.

NikkiBeth
12-16-2008, 05:53 PM
I've been lucky having been in retail at the executive level, for more years than I care to mention, I have had the perfect excuse that worked every time-"I need to keep up on all of the trends for business".It never failed:heehee:

ronnie1951
12-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Once I let something like that slip out, I usually can cover by adding "I saw this on TV, or something equally as lame!

Melissa Anne
12-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I had a funny experience along the lines of this thread. A couple of years ago we went camping with my wife's parents. On the day we were leaving to go home my wife was helping her dad put a tent away and they were struggling to get the rolled up tent to fit into its storage bag. As they were trying to squeeze the tent into the bag and pull it up around the tent my wife says in a very frustrated tone, "this is just like trying to put on pantyhose." Her dad responded, "Well, I wouldn't know anything about that." At hearing this, my wife, who knows about Melissa and is supportive, looks over at me with the biggest grin and almost starts laughing. I had to quickly walk away before my father-in-law saw me smiling too. I didn't want to have to explain anything!

martha mars
12-19-2008, 03:44 PM
when you have 10 sisters you tend to know more then you should i do know more about female things then i do guy things and my wife likes it that way .

love to all:hugs::hugs:

suchacutie
12-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I've become comfortable knowing "things" not many men know by just responding, "I've been married 35 years and care about things that interest my wife". That usually shuts down any guys with wise crack things to say, and makes every wife in the place envious of mine....it's fun!

tina

Lori A
12-19-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm 11 years into my 4th marriage, I have 1 step daughter, still @ home, 2 biological daughters, and from past marriages, another 4 SD's, only one boy in the whole bunch. So it is only logical that I would know about girl stuff. J, (the one @ home) called me one year while I was out on the road before school started and told me, not her mom, that she needed some new bra's for school knowing that I occasionally went to Vanity Fair Factory Outlet Malls, and I just asked what size she needed and bought them.
I've told it else where, but when she got married she called me into the bed room and asked me what the little blue elastic band was for? I told her it was garter that her new hubby was to remove at the reception, did she have any stockings? No! Dad to the rescue, I had some in the truck, along with a garter slip to clip them to. And as she is a Tom Boy and having never worn such an item, had to attach the stockings to them while she put the garter slip on and I attached them for her. Then mom needed some bobby pins to attach the head piece, I had them in the truck too. I got some serious strange looks from some GG family friends who had arrived because I had such things.
Another time when I was in Atlanta visiting a guy I used to baby sit when he was a kid who is a lawyer now. He was getting ready to go to Jamaica to visit his now wife. He said he needed to go to the Mall to get a few things that she had asked for. Among the things she had asked for was a convertible bra and he didn't have a clue what that was. I told him we needed to go to Dillard"s Lingerie department. He went to the check out counter to wait until the SA's checked a woman out @ the till, while I went straight for the bra's. By the time they came over, I had already zeroed in on the section where the convertible bras were and asking him what size she needed. Found that and he wasn't sure that was what she wanted, so I had to take it out of the already open package and explain it to him, even modeling it right there in the different configurations as I did so, and it was a good thing that I did, as one of the straps was missing from that package. Took one from another already open package and turned it over to the SA and explained that we found it that way. We paid and left. A couple of years later, I met his wife, and had my wife with me, and he was so embarrassed when I told his wife that I was the one who picked out her convertible bra.

Teri Jean
12-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Yep, been there, did that, and got the looks(?). How come you know that and when I dressed for halloween, who did your makeup? My response was that I did it myself and found it not as difficult as I thought, I did not tell them of the many trials and failures. I did say the nails were a b***h but then no-one gets it right the first time. Hense the looks. Keli

Teri Jean
12-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Here's another one that really was a one liner but got a look none the less. While getting ready for a parade a friends wife who had not met me asked if I could help her with the strap to support a flag pole, she had the tsraps fowled so I stepped up to help. I took the strap from her and turned it upside down to straighten the two straps that crisscross over the back. Once done I separated the two sides and had her put her arms through on each side of which it fell into place and hung perfectly. She then asked how I was able to figure it out so quickly............here it comes. I said, with out thinking, "it is just like putting on a bra". Kabang, pow, smash. She stepped back with the biggest grin and then gave me a hug with both feet off the ground. Her husband who was a few yards away asked what was going on and I said this lady needed help and I gave it. Then I find out he's her huisband. Ooooops. We are fast friends and she still gives hugs.

Kristen Kelly
12-20-2008, 06:07 PM
I eat lunch with all the women from the office and the conversations they have with me are pretty detailed. When any of the guys hear what I'm saying they cant believe what they are hearing. I'm out to 1 woman at work and she has kept my secret, but many at work think i'm gay, that is my own hair and I don't date anyone from work and don't talk (hit on) to alot of the women on the production floor. I work for an Indepented Cosmetic Company so I do keep up on fashion and the industry. (yes I get free samples)

avril findlay
12-20-2008, 06:21 PM
I've also drawn attention to myself by bending my knees to pick up something I've dropped, forgetting I wasn't wearing a skirt.

barbaralynn
12-21-2008, 01:45 PM
I have purchased most of my wife's clothes for years. She says I have better taste for clothes than she has. She even tells people that I bought them for her if she gets a compliment on what she is wearing. I have asked sales people for certain colors in her panties and bras if I can't find them. I do get looks from cashiers when I have two sizes in the cart. We do not wear the same size.

JoAnne Wheeler
12-28-2008, 03:49 PM
I can't say that I have ever been caught or outed, but I sure have given GGs a lot of compliments and advice. Does that count ?
Love,
JoAnne Wheeler

sometimes_miss
12-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Arrrrgggghh. Happened again last night, one of the women was complaining about how much her feet hurt after the company christmas party. Of course without putting brain in gear before operating mouth, I just piped in "well, your really have to have heels that fit well; if you're going to wear your roommate's shoes, just trying them on won't tell you what they will feel like after a night in them". Boy, did I get some strange looks, and after the awkward moments of deafening silence, one of them came out with 'How do you know that?'. I tried to cover by adding I have 2" heel cowboy boots which I can't walk in for more than a short time, but I think the suspicions remained a little. Got to be more careful. I think it was that I said HEELS that fit well, instead of just 'shoes' that got me in trouble. Sometimes I think maybe I shouldn't talk at all.

BeckyGG
12-29-2008, 03:59 PM
My SO does it all the time - only the other day we were at a friends party and one of the girls had a gorgeous top on and i asked where it was from - my SO knew the make straight away and blerted it out.

MY SO has the same taste as me, so i often get lovely items of clothes, shoes or accsessories for bdays, crimbos etc

My girlfriends always comment on how nice my gifts are, and how my SO has such good taste and how there partners could never pick an outfit out! hehe

xxxx