PDA

View Full Version : Did You Wear Makeup Before CDing?

Penelope
12-11-2008, 02:12 AM
I was just curious if anyone actually wore makeup out in public in any setting before you ever dressed 'en femme' from head to toe?

I remember the school dances(the New Wave era with bands as Japan,Duran,Simple Minds,Ultravox,Kajagoogoo,Flock of Seagulls,etc) and I used to openly wear eye liner.
It made me feel SO powerful in an androgynous way and I know many of my women friends liked me wearing it.Sometimes I'd also wear a little eye shadow and mascara and a touch of foundation.

I even grew my hair and dyed it a little darker brown,letting it hang over one eye like the drummer in British New Romantic pioneers 'Japan".

I wish I could find the pics.....

What was your experience like?

Hugs :hugs:

Penelope

Sara Jessica
12-11-2008, 08:18 AM
I even grew my hair and dyed it a little darker brown,letting it hang over one eye like the drummer in British New Romantic pioneers 'Japan".

You mean like Steve Jansen??? :)

I love all those bands you mentioned. But I think as a teen of the 80's I was a bit afraid to really dig into that scene fashion-wise because it might have betrayed my feminine being. But I used to wear my hair just like you described!!!

Sarah...
12-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Yeah, blonde hair, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick and any number of earings back in the halcyon days of the eighties.

Crikey, with youth on my side I looked much prettier then, than I do now as a happy TG person!

Sarah...

Karren H
12-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Not unless my mother used to make me up since I started crossdressing when I was 7.. And who knows she might have.. Lol. I really got into makeup 5 years ago and not its consumed my life to the point I'm a moderator on a makeup forum.. :)

Toni_Lynn
12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
I didn't but I can so totally relate the times mentioned. I used to get a slew of import singles from the UK, so I always had the latest tunes, way before they became hits in the USA. I was super envious of my peers across the pond and had all the stuff by folk like Visage and -- oooh -- Marilyn!

At the time (new-wave 80s) I was dating a girl who I wanted to tell about my CDing. Of course I was far to immature to figure out how to do it. So, I thought that since we both liked the groups and music, I could ease in through the back door. That meant exposing her to people like Nick Rhodes in Duran Duran. I had a great piccie of him in a suit and wearing eye liner and pink lippy.

Then the chance came -- We went to see the Psychedelic Furs in concert and she did my makeup. That was step one. She then bought some eye liner for me. And then -- we broke up!

Actually, I'm happy we did as she turned out to be a real jerk, and 20 years later I ended up with the most wonderful woman in the world :)

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Sara Jessica
12-11-2008, 09:12 PM
I didn't but I can so totally relate the times mentioned. I used to get a slew of import singles from the UK, so I always had the latest tunes, way before they became hits in the USA. I was super envious of my peers across the pond and had all the stuff by folk like Visage and -- oooh -- Marilyn!

At the time (new-wave 80s) I was dating a girl who I wanted to tell about my CDing. Of course I was far to immature to figure out how to do it. So, I thought that since we both liked the groups and music, I could ease in through the back door. That meant exposing her to people like Nick Rhodes in Duran Duran. I had a great piccie of him in a suit and wearing eye liner and pink lippy.

Visage, now that's cool...you have tremendous new wave street cred!

As for Nick Rhodes, you gotta check out the band Penelope mentions, Japan. Their singer, David Sylvian, came before ole Nicky and probably gave him makeup lessons. Many people say Sylvian looks like Rhodes but those in the know realize that Sylvian came first. And besides, as much as I love the early Duranies stuff, Japan blows them away!!!

charlie
12-11-2008, 09:17 PM
My halcyon days were the 60's. sorry, always the macho type. Nothing feminine except when my girlfriend left some items at my house.... and I would try them on!

Toni_Lynn
12-11-2008, 09:34 PM
....check out the band Penelope mentions, Japan. Their singer, David Sylvian, came before ole Nicky and probably gave him makeup lessons.

Oh my gawd yes! I almost forgot about him! He was a major 'if I gotta be a guy I wanna be like him' idol of mine.

I thought that his version of I Second That Emotion was the sexiest song I had ever heard.

Oh -- and then there is Green from Scritti Politti. I used to go around sining Wood Beez and Absolute in the same falsetto that he did. That was what really ripped it with my ex-girlfriend. Funny how mu wife just loves it!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Salene
12-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I started to wear makeup when I got into the goth/cyber scene long before I ever dared to CD. When I was in highschool my Mom and sister would always barrow my makeup. heh, they still do.

Penelope
12-12-2008, 02:29 AM
You mean like Steve Jansen??? :)

I love all those bands you mentioned. But I think as a teen of the 80's I was a bit afraid to really dig into that scene fashion-wise because it might have betrayed my feminine being. But I used to wear my hair just like you described!!!

Sara I definately meant Steve Jansen.Not only is he one of my fave drummers,but I always thought he was so handsome and alightly girlie looiking and grabbed your attention.I actually admire his look, and IF only I could find those pics,I've looked and looked.Now that I think about it,I think an aquaintance has them....

Yeah Japan inspired Duran who inspired Kajagoogoo. And I wanted to be in a band that wore makeup more often. Some of my early rock bands did just a bit...

Hugs P :hugs:

Toni_Lynn
12-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Before I leave the topic of new-wave and make-up (sorry if this is threadjacking), but how many of you girls in the UK remember a magazine called Just Seventeen? I was able to get it here in the US of A at the store where I bought all my import 45s. There was an issue back in 1983 that had a great article called "Who's a Pretty Boy, Then'. It was all about guys wearing makeup -- and the girls who loved them -- all in the framework of the new romantics.

My mum freaked when she found that issue in my room! She destroyed it in front of my eyes. Almost 20 years later I found a replacement copy on eBay!

Oh and before I forget - I had mentioned Marilyn. I am lucky enough to have Marilyn's autograph. Gorgeous, yet an unfortunate sad end there!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

2b.Lauren
12-12-2008, 01:59 PM
I do remember all of the bands that you mentioned, and since my sister was the one dressing me, I actually had worn some makeup as early as about 10. She would put on a little lipstick, mascara, and if I begged eyeshadow, before we would head out on one of our shopping trips downtown on the bus. I did not wear my hair long at that time and my dad would have thrown a fit if he had of known. As I got older I got out of it, and then after getting married I did wear some of my wifes makeup. She really does not wear a lot of makeup and is really a very beautiful women all natural (kind of amazing I can still say this). I got back into wearing makeup when I began to perform in plays at my church. We put on several professional plays each year with orchestra, choir, and stage actors. We did an annual Passion Play that was a two week performance prior to Easter and then a Christmas play. I enjoyed getting help more from the ladies that volunteered to help. We had one lady that worked in a clinique shop doing makeup and she always loved to help me with mine. Maybe she knew something:daydreaming:

linnea
12-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Before I started to dress from head to toe, as you said it, I would sometimes wear make-up. Usually it was mascara. I have deep-set eyes, and mascara actually didn't show up very obviously on me. Now with some of the lengtheners, I get better results. Then I wanted to wear it without others knowing.
I also would wear lipstick, a light shade, because I have always loved the look and feel of lipstick.
Because I have been involved in theater during much of my life, I have been able to experiment a little and even use the excuse of "not having removed my make-up" after a rehearsal or performance.

Penelope
12-14-2008, 03:36 AM
What, you mean did I wear makeup before cross-dressing? Before the age of six? Hardly...

Katie B I meant did you start wearing makeup before you were veer dressed 'en femme' head to toe?. Please don't tell me that you got dressed fully,with wig,makeup,heels etc at age six...? LOL!

Hugs P

bridget jones
12-14-2008, 03:42 AM
I actually wore lingerie at first.As a pre teen and a teen I wore make up.It was my mother and sisters make up.Then I was able to get my own.

tanyacd
12-14-2008, 03:57 AM
not for me..

I wore my sisters skirts when i was little. One time, she did me up in makeup. It was sweet.

However Ive always liked anything female.

Ive only recently starting actually trying to do makeup right, but have loved wearing lingerie and dresses for years. Its always been a matter of convenience and what I had access to I guess.

Jenniferpl
12-14-2008, 04:02 AM
It was not until recently that I started to use makeup. Lipstick, what had I been missing all these years.

MarinaTwelve200
12-14-2008, 08:47 AM
I started with Makeup--Lipstick when I was 12 and didnt move on to clothing till a year or two so later on, when I began to feel that makeup was not enough.----
That is one clue that my CD is primarily IDENTITY based (Empathisis on the face rather than the body) It is however NOT that I identify with women (I do not), but rather for the "thrill" or "Stress releif" I obtain from "hiding" or dropping my own "self" and "male" identities and assuming another that is "not me". I suppose the makeup symbolizes a "mask" or temporary wall between "ME" and "Not Me" I can use to get away from myself.

This is likley why clothes alone wont "do it " for me. If I still can see my own unfeminized face (no makeup) its like i am nor CDing at all. But I DO need BOTH clothes AND makeup for the full effect.

Deidra Cowen
12-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Before I dressed I did play with lipstick that I would get ahold of. I think the first time if I remember was that a GG that had spent the night left behind her lipstick.

I remember trying it on then putting on some gloss. I remember thinking how funny the gloss felt...very slippery..well thats hard to describe in words but I was stuck by how different my lips felt.

Ok this is extra wierd but I smoked a cig while having the lipstick on and remember getting quite the thrill at imagining I was a woman. Of course the whole thing turned me on...I have long since lost that feeling of arrousal from dressing...but at first it sure was there.

kimmie_sub
12-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Wow, am i surprised at the responses to this question. i thought for sure they would say dressing first, then makeup. It looks like i'm in the minority here. My first foray at cd'g was to get dressed up and go out at night - heels, pantyhose, panties, skirt, stuffed bra and top. My hair was long then so i didn't used a wig. It was exciting to be out dressed as a sexy girl, hips swaying and boobies jiggling with each high-heeled step. i would relish the car honks and catcalls as it was confirmation that at least from a distance i was passable. Only when those solitary walks didn't do it for me anymore did i start thinking about a wig, makeup and polished nails - i needed to do more than i had done, including interacting with other people as my femme self, especially men. My first night out to a poly club with makeup, wig, and fake fingernails was magical! Since then it's very rare that i get dressed without some makeup since it helps me feel more femme.

Sarah Martin
12-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I've often dabbled with makeup over the years, using my wife’s makeup. I usually looked like a panda with measles until she took charge of me and started to do my makeup for me!

In terms of timescale, the dressing fully en femme definitely came first. I used to get fully dressed with just a bit of lippy/eye shadow until relatively recently, when I have started to make myself up more - mainly to hide the crows feet and wrinkles.

Sarah

Nicki B
12-14-2008, 03:40 PM
I was just curious if anyone actually wore makeup out in public in any setting before you ever dressed 'en femme' from head to toe?

Somehow, I don't think this is what you had in mind - but it was my first experience of what Max Factor could do? :doh:

Toni_Lynn
12-14-2008, 04:21 PM
I just had to throw this into the mix, cause here you will see one of my major influences back in my early 20s. Her look was so damn sexy and I knew that if I looked that all the girls would want my cute femme bod! I wanted soooo badly to look like Marilyn! I had all of her 12 inch singles and the elpee 'Despite Straight Lines'. Those were truly magical days.

For those who may have seen the Channel 4 (UK) special 'Whatever Happened to the Gender Benders', Mazza's life did not go well after new-wave ended. I cried when I saw what became of her.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

PS -- I was just able to buy a CD of Marzza's elpee and all the 12 inch singles (re-mixes) as bonus tracks! Got it on eBay. Hmm -- dressing up and spending the evening listening to it will be just the ticket! :)

Chloe_87
12-14-2008, 07:39 PM
I certainly wore make up in public before I dressed in public. However, when I first started wearing eyeliner, nail varnish etc it wasn’t about trying to girly, rather a form of self expression and a two fingers up to those that thought guys shouldn’t be wearing make up at all. I was/still am into the gothic/punk/metal scene; that might be a better explanation :battingeyelashes:

Ironically enough when I started taking crossdressing a bit more seriously (i.e. coming to terms with it myself) I used to just dress up with no make up at all. Needlessly to say the urge to wear make up as well caught up and both the clothes and make up are now part of the experience.

Tess
12-14-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't notice many older members responding to this topic so maybe make up before dressing has been an easier thing to do in the last few decades. Serious make for me came at the same time I tried dressing fully...other than trying lipstick a few times when I was 12 or 13.

Angie G
12-14-2008, 09:03 PM
No for me before dressing was in the late 50'S except for some lipstick I just got into makeup the last few years hun.And even now not that often.:hugs:
Angie

marny
12-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Tried a few times. Pretty sloppy.maybe will take the recommendations of the girls here and go see a pro

GINA-CD
12-15-2008, 01:03 AM
For me it was dressing first since that was easier. Make-up came only when I neeeded something more than a skirt to feel fem. By the way, wigs came later and my own heels were the last step I think.

Tracii G
12-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Mazza was very prettyIMO.
I did the eyeliner and mascara and light make-up during the hair band thing in the 80's.I had waist length hair dyed black with blonde streaks and spiked on top.
Wore all the girly lookin clothes too.LOL We looked a lot like the band Brittany Fox if you remember them.
We had one of our GF's do the make up I never learned how it all works until recently.Still not that good at it but trying to learn.

Penelope
12-16-2008, 01:54 AM
Somehow, I don't think this is what you had in mind - but it was my first experience of what Max Factor could do? :doh:

Nicki B OMG is that pic of you??,geez!