PDA

View Full Version : The best part of shopping "en femme"...

Leslie Langford
12-11-2008, 09:37 AM
For those of us who have graduated to going out in public dressed "en femme" when shopping for our female wardrobe, what is the best part of the experience for you?

For me, it is being dressed in my usual professional business woman mode with a fitted skirt suit and wearing a pair of classic pumps when I go into a middle-to-upper scale ladies' clothing store or boutique to browse. The irony of being served by an SA wearing a casual top, pants, and ballet slippers or other such "sensible" footwear while helping me make my femmy selections and complimenting me on my choices and how they look on me is just too much!

The other day, I was also in one of those warehouse type shoe stores (again, in femme mode) browsing the racks when I ended up beside a pair of middle-aged GG's, one of whom was trying of a pair of killer heels for what appeared to be old time's sake. She commented wistfully to her friend about the days long ago when she would routinely wear such shoes, but how, at her age, this was no longer an option.

The look on both their faces when I casually picked up the same pair of heels after she had put them back on the rack, tried them on (I'm one of the lucky ones who can easily wear a ladies' Size 9) and strode gracefully back and forth as I "test drove" them was priceless to behold.

Similarly, in a department store a few weeks ago, I was trying on a cute pair of open-toed heels when a GG (again, wearing the typical uniform of jacket, jeans, and mannish shoes) who happened to be walking by stopped abruptly to admire them and asked me if they were comfortable to walk in. I smiled and replied "not too bad", but in reality didn't know exactly what to say. No doubt, her definition of what constitutes comforable female footwear is vastly different from mine as a veteran crossdresser, who is very much aligned with the "no pain, no gain" principle when it comes to being fashionably dressed.

Oh, and by the way, before this GG came along I was debating with myself as to whether or not I should buy these particular shoes (I "need" another pair of heels about as much as a moose needs a hat rack - LOL!). But after hearing her unsolicited and unexpected comments, I decided to go for it. Also, I didn't want to lose them by having her grab them for herself after looking at them so longingly :eek:.

Sigh! - We crossdressers can be just as competitive as real women and go into a "take no prisoners" mode when shopping and finding the "perfect" item that we cannot live without :D.

Karren H
12-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah!!! That's exactually the same way I feel... I just love knocking those old ladies down that get between me and a sales rack full of dresses!! "If ya can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, granny!!". :D

StacyCD
12-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I guess the best part of shopping enfemme is that although I usually shop when the stores are less crowded I have gotten enough confidence in myself that I can just go out and have fun shopping. I know I'm read by anyone who's not legally blind but I'm no longer afraid of it happening. I just want to be treated as the person I'm projecting and my money is as green as anyone else's!

Jodi
12-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Leslie, I picked up on your rather critical remarks on the SA's wearing flats or man type shoes. Most SA's will tell you that they would love to be able to wear heels or any type of sexier shoes. When you are working the floor for 8-10 hours in a store, you learn to wear the most comfortable, sturdiest shoes possible. Even with the comfortable shoes, the legs will begin to throb close to the end of the shift.

I have worked the floor as an SA in two different women's clothing stores. I know what the legs and feet feel like after an 8 hour shift, and I always wore my Rockports. The new female SA's were cautioned in their initial training to wear comfortable, sturdy shoes. Occasionally, one would not heed the advice and wear heels to work. They paid dearly.

If you don't believe me, put on your favorite pair of heels. Stand and walk around in them for 4 hours straight without sitting down once. Take a 15 minute break sitting. Then do another 4 hours without sitting down. You will quickly learn why the SA's in stores are wearing flats. You will also learn not to be so critical.

Jodi

MarcieM
12-11-2008, 07:14 PM
If you don't believe me, put on your favorite pair of heels. Stand and walk around in them for 4 hours straight without sitting down once. Take a 15 minute break sitting. Then do another 4 hours without sitting down. You will quickly learn why the SA's in stores are wearing flats. You will also learn not to be so critical.

I have to agree with this comment.
I find it very discouraging when I see CD's adopt an "I'm more femme than you" attitude directed at GG's. Because, it's simply not so. The best we'll ever be is a good imitation of female.

gennee
12-11-2008, 07:24 PM
The best part of shopping en femme is being treated like any other lady. I love going through skirts, blouses, cami, sweaters, and shoes. I have gotten smiles and compliments also.

Gennee

:)

Paula T
12-11-2008, 08:13 PM
is I am not as self concious as when shopping in drab. For some reason or other:) I am very self concious and feel everybody is looking at me when shopping in drab. Even if there are hardly anybody in the department I am shopping in.:eek:

Leslie Langford
12-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Sorry if I came across as being over-critical or smug regarding the footwear comments, and I can certainly appreciate how hard it can be on someone whose job it is to be on their feet all day.

That said, there are, however, other options for ladies involving stylish, yet comfortable footwear that don't necessarily involve sneakers, flip-flops, ballet flats, construction boots or even the mother of ugly shoes - the dreaded Birkenstocks and Doc Martens.

Aside from my dressy pumps, stilettos, slingbacks and other, similar styles, I also own a number of more casual women's shoes that I wear when I go out for extended periods of time, and those can be just as comfortable as any of my men's shoes. It all comes down to the style, construction, and overall quality.

Rockports certainly fall into that category, and I own a number of Aerosoles, Soft Mocs, and Naturalizers that are equally comfortable. Most have either a 1 1/2" or 2" heel, but the trick here is to select a style with either a generously-sized rounded or squarish box and heels that have some substance to them i.e at least 1" square. That will help take a considerable amount of pressure off the balls of the feet where most of the pain is likely to occur, and having some degree of arch support would be an added bonus. Also, best not to go too small - if it doesn't feel quite right, go up a 1/2 size, especially since feet do tend to either swell up a bit or broaden out in the course of the day.

I recently came across a pair of Swiss-made Bally shoes in a thrift shop which were nearly new and only cost me $6.00. They are to die for - 1 1/2 " heels and the leather is glove-soft. I almost feel as if I am barefoot when I wear them. Sure, the kinds of shoes that Payless, Wal Mart, and K-Mart etc. sell may look O.K. on the surface and be inexpensive to buy, but their construction, support, wearability and overall quality are generally poor and in the end, you do get what you pay for.

Sara Jessica
12-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey, don't rip on ballet flats...there are some really cute ones out there and it helps so much that they're comfy.

I agree with everyone who is defending the gg who is on her feet all day and can't wear heels. I have good feet and buy good shoes but I am still careful about what shoes I choose if I'm going to be walking non-stop for more than an hour or so. That's one of the nice things about boot season, heels and incredible comfort!!!

joann07
12-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Shopping at my favorite store, Victoria's Secret. :love:
Getting nice compliments, such as the time I was at a Target, one day, and while I was in the ladies room a middle aged GG looked at me and said "I would die for those legs".
That really made my day. :daydreaming:

Hugs!

Kendra (Tx)
12-12-2008, 12:20 AM
For me..it was the first time I went shopping enfemme and the SA asked me if I'd wanted to "try them on"...I hadn't even thought about that....:doh: But that really made my day...Made me really feel like a woman...Of course I went ahead and tried on the things I was going to buy...and got some nice complements from the SA, and proceeded to make my purchases...All in all..a memorable day...and a wonderful SA...

http://kendra954.com

erickka
12-12-2008, 08:39 AM
What Stacy said in post#3 GOES FOR ME 100%.