PDA

View Full Version : The most important outing I've ever do

Suzy Harrison
12-11-2008, 06:38 PM
I wake up first thing in the morning with the knowledge that today will not only be a very busy one for me, but probably the most important day of my life. This is because today I should be prescribed female hormones – which will change me forever and finally give the gender I feel I’ve been robbed of all my life. I feel so happy that at last my life is coming together

I decide to wear my ‘office’ skirt suit. It looks good and every time I wear it everything just seems to go so well – so psychologically it’s a great boost for me!

Once I’m made up and dressed, I go to the car and switch on my phone - but before I can move off from my drive, a text message immediately appears on my phone. I can see it’s from my lovely HR Manager over on the other side of Australia. This is what she sent me:

Hey Suzy, just wanted u to know
That I will be thinking about u
2day. A momentous day that
marks a huge positive step fwd
Congratulations, I think u r amazing.
Call me later T

What a great start to the day and how can I fail with support such as this? It’s a message I’ll save to my phone forever.
Minutes later as I drive away the phone bursts into life again. This time it’s a call from my GG friend, also to wish me luck and to arrange to meet up for lunch later in the day.

First stop at 11 am is to pick some up some make up from a stylist who my GG friend introduced me to. She has been giving me advice on clothes and cosmetics.

Next I have to drive towards the city for my 12:00 appointment with my voice therapist. The hour lesson goes well. It’s of great value to get professional feedback on something that is so important and that can be so difficult to quantify. I’m told that overall I’m about 75% there and so it’s a nice feeling to know most of the work is behind me. I just need to polish up in a few areas. There are two things that the therapist then says to me that makes me think. The first was that I seem so happy today. In fact recently, many people have noticed that about me. The other comment she made was “Have you gone full time yet?”
It’s very tempting to go 24/7 but I have to make sure I’m ready and everything is in place. It’s too important to rush and I cannot afford to make any mistakes, especially where my work is concerned as I would hate to let them down, since they have been so supportive.

Now I drive into the city for the 1:30 lunch appointment with my GG friend as arranged earlier. We have a great time together – as we always do.

Now for the important one. At 3:15 I’m sitting in the endocrinologist’s office – a little nervous, as so much is at stake today.
He invites me in and after the usual complementary chat, he asks me if I’ve had any adverse effects from the anti-androgen (anti-male hormone!) medication he prescribed 2 months ago. Luckily I’ve had no problems. Then he tells me he has the results from my blood test two days earlier. These too are excellent and show that my body is coping well with the medication. He then weighs me – my weight has dropped 3 kilos and also checks my blood pressure, which, once again is fine. He then repeats the question that was asked by the voice therapist “Have you gone full time yet?!”

A little more conversation and then…. he utters the magic words: “I think you’re ready for hormones now !” We discuss the options – he knows I’m already aware of the benefits, limitations and dangers of hormone therapy. He writes me out a script for a half-year supply and says there’s no need to see him again until 6 months time, unless I encounter problems. As he walks me to the door he wishes me a Merry Christmas! – Well I feel it’s come early for me as I now have all I ever wanted.

I drive home on a high as you can image – and just 15 minutes after I received that prescription, I stop off at the pharmacy to get my Christmas present.

I arrive home at 5pm, but my day isn’t over yet. Three weeks ago I told our next door neighbours all about my condition. We’ve known them for 5 years and you couldn’t wish for better neighbours than these. They have been totally accepting – as I knew they would be. But in all that time they still haven’t seen the new me. I know I have to break the ice sooner or later and since I’m on such a high, I feel today, right now, is the time to do it. But I want to do it in a special way.

I’m already in my business skirt suit and looking pretty official as I pin on my SCC identity card to my suit jacket, pick up a small black book and a pen – walk over to their front door and knock.

As he answers the door, I give him a big smile and say in my very best femmy voice “Good Afternoon, I’m collecting for the Children in Need at Christmas appeal, would you care to make a donation?”

“Oh sure just a moment” he says, as he goes to get some money. He returns with a five-dollar note and hands it to me. “There, thank you” he says. As I hold the money in my hand I just smile at him – and then…. eventually, the realisation washes across his face – if only I had my camera. He laughs and says “Oh!!!..... come inside and see Brenda!”(his wife) . As we go in he calls to her “ Bren, there’s a lady here who wants to see you”. She looks a little shocked that he’s invited some complete stranger straight indoors.

I’m standing just two feet away, holding the five-dollar note up and say to her “Your husband has contributed, so would you like to make a donation as well?”

She is lost for words, “ I….Well …..no,… that’s from both of us….” She stumbles over her words, finding it hard to understand how someone would have the cheek to ask for more. I give her a big smile and for 5 seconds her brain is working overtime trying to make some sense of the situation. Then at last the penny drops she cries out “Oohh !” and gives me a big, long hug.

And so, out comes the wine - and I eventually leave (stagger out) three hours later at 8pm !

insearchofme
12-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I try not to be emotional but when I read the text message I teared up. After I read your entire post I had to get a hand full of tissues. I am so happy for you!

Kim_Bitzflick
12-11-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm glad your day went so well. I wish you all the happiness in your new life.

rhondamichelle
12-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Suzy,

What a wonderful narrative for a day you'll certainly remember the rest of your life!

Best regards,

Rhonda Michelle

MJ
12-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm so very happy for you Suzy .. there goes my makeup job .. :hugs: congratulations you have made it to hrt :love: the best Christmas present ever :D i so want to come over and give you a big hugg .. :c9::cheer::Party2::belly:

Jenna1561
12-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Congratulations! What a day and to have such accepting and loving neighbors. You are one lucky girl. :)

Jenna

deja true
12-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Oh Darling Suzy!

It took me forever to read this wonderful story. I had to keep blowing my nose and wiping my eyes.

I knew...I just knew... that there was gonna be a happy ending to this tale!

And when you used your SCC badge for your outfit, I felt that you had just invited all of us along to take part and witness your adventure...

You cheeky bitch! I hate you! I love you!

:<3:....:<3:....:<3:....:<3:....:<3:....:<3:

Sally24
12-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Kind of a Happy Birthday as well as Merry Christmas day!! I'm so glad things are going well for you Suzy. Keep the posts coming as you have many friends that want to see how things go for you.

SusanMarie
12-11-2008, 08:29 PM
There is a new bright star in the land of OZ!
:yrtw:

DanaR
12-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Congratulations! What an awesome day.

Kimberly Marie Kelly
12-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Congrats. Someday, maybe I will follow your footsteps. :battingeyelashes:

Paulette
12-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Congratulations I know you have been waiting for this day for a long time. I wish gentle breezes on your journey.

Michelle I
12-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Suzy:

What a wonderful post and more importantly a wonderful day for you. Congratulations :love:

Melissa

joann426
12-11-2008, 10:29 PM
hi susie i am happy for you in your new life and a merry christmas to you

NancyTO
12-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Congrats! U go girl!

TTFN

Sally2005
12-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Now that's what I call a great day! Uplifting. Thanks for sharing.

Persephone
12-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Wow! Congratulations! What a great day!

Roberta J
12-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Congratulations Suzy. You have done what I would liked to do Happy birthday, Merry Christmas

carolinoakland
12-12-2008, 03:58 AM
I'm in my fifth week of HRT, and I remember that DR's visit and know exactly how you felt, feel. It's thrilling and scary and yet, all just so, "well FINALLY!". It's so nice to finally be the person you thought you'd never be, congratulations, Carol

Sam-antha
12-12-2008, 06:42 AM
That went for a great day out and visiting. But, please do tell, -

"Have you opened your Christmas present yet ?"

~Samm

RobynB
12-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Congradulations. What a wonderful story. Who said there is no Santa Claus.

morgan51
12-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Congratulations Suzy I truly enjoy hearing about your journey best of the new life to you and please keep writing I absolutly enjoy your story and adventures you go girl. Morgan

Suzy Harrison
12-12-2008, 07:46 AM
That went for a great day out and visiting. But, please do tell, -

"Have you opened your Christmas present yet ?"

~Samm

Are you kidding?!.:) Within 1 minute of getting indoors after returning from my neighbours house - I was in the bathroom applying the hormone patch !!

It's a lovely feeling to think your body is being bathed in female hormones 24 hour a day...

:hugs: Suzy

Joan Merrie
12-12-2008, 07:55 AM
I'll bet you feel as though, a HUGH weight has been lifted off your shoulders. I know I did when I started my hormones, kind of felt like, I could float on air. What a great day you had. So to our sis down under I send you , a great big :hugs:

TGMarla
12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Suzy, again I find myself feeling an enormous gratification in reading how things are happening for you in such a positive way. I'm so glad for you! May the rest of this journey be so smooth for you. I know there will be bumps, and there will be bad days, but that's called "normal life", and I'm hoping yours is exraordinary. Good for you, lady!

StacyCD
12-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Suzy,

Although I'm only a part-time dresser, I hope you will be happy on your new path! EVERYONE deserved to be happy!

TxKimberly
12-12-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm with Dana, just reading it makes my choke up.
I am SO glad your happy and that things are going so well for you Suzy! It sounds like a dream.

joann07
12-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Suzy!
What a great day you had.
Reading your story was very touching and I am so so happy for you.
You couldn't have wished for a better gift for Christmas. :daydreaming:

I wish you the best as you begin your transition to your new life.
You were a beautiful lady when I first met you at SCC and I'm sure that after your transition you'll be even more beautiful. :doll:
When you apply at Victoria's Secret to be model, let me know. :heehee:

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Hugs!

Wendy me
12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
very cool loved reading this .......

Susan.
12-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Congratulations on a wonderful day. Sounds like you are living the life many of us only dream of. :daydreaming:

Sara Olivia
12-13-2008, 02:25 AM
Congratulations and all the best in your new life. I'm very happy for you.

Alana65
12-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Ohhhh Suzy, that's such a heartwarming story.....I cried so many tears of joy for you while reading your post, it took me nearly 15 minutes to get through it. I'm sooo happy for you, hun. :hugs: :koc:

Denise01
12-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Congratulations on your Successful day,

I enjoyed reading your post so much, and you did a fantastic job.

I Just wish that I were as far a long in my journey as your are, and wish you every success and much happiness in your life

Denise

:):):)

Dawn Marie
12-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Congradulations Suzy!!!! I know you are still on the high, I know I would be. Glad all your dreams are finally a reallization comming true. Enjoy the monments from now on and do lets us know how things are going with you.

Suzy Harrison
12-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind words of encouragement.

Although logic would tell me that nothing can be happening yet - I still had a series of twinges the other day. First in the left breast area - about five of them over a two hour period - and then the next day the same happened to my left side.

On each occasion I was watching television and not even thinking about hormones or anything. I have never felt that before. So who knows!

uknowhoo
12-15-2008, 09:49 PM
sorry so late to the thread, Suzy dear :o

I hope you got enough patches to share with the rest of us! :waiting:

:tongueout

But seriously Suzy, reading this just made my night... and my week! The support you're receiving from Teresa, your neighbors and the rest truly is inspiring. I am so very happy for you :GD:, and wish you all the best on this odessey. Congratulations on making this huge step reality.

Now hurry up and take some "before" pics before it's too late! :eek:

:p

Very truly yours,

(one of your many biggest fans)

Tammi :kiss:

CD Susan
12-16-2008, 03:19 AM
Congratulations Suzy!!! I am so happy for you.

Laurelanne
12-16-2008, 03:59 AM
I am severly jealous,..thats terrific that u have gotten on trac and your boss is behind u too it looks like the new year will be the best one yet U go Girl..:love:

Mollyanne
12-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Hi Suzy, I can't speak for anyone else but I feel a certain "kinship" to you concerning your decision to transition. Its almost like I'm there with you doing the same thing(s) you are!!!
I would switch places w/you in a heart beat. Actually you have given me my dream back and I thank you for that!!!!! God speed your total transition with all the good health and fortune that he can provide.

:love: Mollyanne

Natasha1974
12-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Congrats Suzy, loved reading your post, all the best for your new life.:D

paulaN
12-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Suzy I wish you the very best. I also wish that every thing remains trouble free. Go girl go.

Suzy Harrison
12-17-2008, 08:13 AM
My 25 year old daughter knows all about my plans, but up until now she has only seen photos of me - and I've been waiting for the right time for her to see me 'live'. She doesn't live at home anymore and so picking the right time/occasion was proving to be difficult.

However as I returned home on Sunday after meeting Daniel and Portia from this forum - I noticed that her car was parked on our driveway - she was home for a visit.

I wasn't nervous at all - in fact I was fairly pleased that we could at last 'break the ice', as it were.

As I unlocked the front door and went inside she was walking to the front door to see who had just come in. For a second she didn't recognise me - and then she smiled - and we gave each other a big hug. She is fine with it all. It's going to be a little unusual at first for her when I do full time, but we will manage. For instance she said when we're out together, should she call me "Dad" or "Suzy or what?!" - I told her whatever she feels comfortable with is okay with me. I'm sure it's going to be fine.

Alana65
12-17-2008, 09:28 AM
That's sooo wonderful, Suzy !!! :):cry:(tears of joy)

Angie G
12-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Wow what a awesome day. Im so happy things are going so well for you Suzy.:hugs:
Angie

insearchofme
12-17-2008, 06:06 PM
That's wonderful. I'm sure if she is anything like you she's a beautiful young woman, inside and out!

MJ
12-17-2008, 07:59 PM
My 25 year old daughter knows all about my plans. For instance she said when we're out together, should she call me "Dad" or "Suzy or what?!" - I told her whatever she feels comfortable with is okay with me. I'm sure it's going to be fine.

i'm crying again thats so wonderful. and just for the record my children still call me DAD . and i am fine with that. :hugs:

PortiaHoney
12-18-2008, 05:21 AM
I am so glad things are working out for you. It certainly was a big day for both of us on Sunday. :D I got to meet two of the nicest people ever and your daughter got to meet YOU.:battingeyelashes:

I don't know which I feel most happy about, you not feeling nervous, or your daughters reaction.:hugs:

Congratulations on yet another step forward.:drink:

:love:Portia

Mary Morgan
12-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Congratulation on your new life. As you know it really is up to you, and the example of your warm glow was evidenced by all who came you way.

Sally24
12-18-2008, 08:17 PM
She said when we're out together, should she call me "Dad" or "Suzy or what?!"
My daughter (28 years old) sometimes calls me Mom when we're out. She said it would complicate explanations to others around us if she called me Dad. She also calls me Sally when I'm dressed and she too hasn't really had any problems.

This next generation of kids are so smart and accepting! I wish the best for all you girls that have children.

Suzy Harrison
01-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Well I've been on anti-androgens for 3 months and hormones for 1 month - and already I'm happy with the results at this early stage.

Just as important, I've just made another leap forward in my goal to transition at the end of June this year. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my daughter has seen me - and is happy, but my son hadn't and was very nervous and embarrassed at the thought of seeing me.

But last Thursday when I was on my way home from my voice therapist session I phoned him (he was already at home) to tell him that he really needed to see me and get this out of the way and break the ice.

He reluctantly agreed.

Minutes later I arrived home. When he saw me you could see the relief wash across his face. His first words were - " You look really good!". He had been worried that my appearance would not look right, but now he's seen me he's fine. We had a long talk and he seemed totally at ease. In fact he started to tell me things that he's never felt free to talk about before ....

So that's another hurdle out of the way, with not many left to go. I've even got the change of name application forms filled out. I've been told it only takes five days in Australia so this will be one of the last things to do.

Andrea Elva
01-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Nice one Suzy Those firsts are the scarcest. I had to face them when I started out. I am now 7 months on HRT and the same time 24/7. I still get scared at times when I have to meet or meet up with people but most of the times things go well. In fact I have had only good experiences in dealing with people. I know those feeling that you have experienced in the breasts as they often give a sort or ‘itchy’ twinge and the nipples are super sensitive, I just have to brush then very softly and ‘pins’ prick sensation….ouch. I am a lucky girl as I am a little shy of a full A cup.
Best of luck with your transition Suzy and enjoy every moment of it, it is something to treasure.

Hugs Andrea
:love:

Stephanie Stephens
01-13-2009, 07:58 AM
Suzy; I have been watching your journey through this web site for the past year or so and I think you are a very brave person. I wish you the best of luck in all your journeys. In coming out to your children it seem that you have come through without and mortal wounds. WOW

JoAnne Wheeler
01-13-2009, 08:31 AM
What a BEAUTIFUL story - I wish you the best
JoAnne Wheeler

queenie
01-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Congratulations and good luck to you on the rest of your journey. I'm so happy for you!

Catherine99
01-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Best of luck on your journey.

beenherelongtime
01-13-2009, 07:36 PM
congratulations, and good luck