PDA

View Full Version : Something funny happened to me a few days ago

Marshchild
12-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Something funny happened to me a few days ago. I'd gone on an outing to one of the national parks around here (Belair, to those of you familiar with the city of Adelaide), and since I figured the chances of me bumping into anyone else there were pretty remote (it's a big place, and pretty much deserted during the week), I decided to wear one of the more garish items of feminine finery from my wardrobe. Anyway, the item in question was a silver satin smock I'd had made a few years ago. Almost like a dress, it comes down to my knees, does up to the neck with large plastic buttons, and has a Peter Pan collar, as well as an appliqued red heart on the left breast. All in all, therefore, it's pretty outrageous, and something I usually only wear around the house, or to something like a rave, where it's not unusual to be dressed strangely.

Anyway, when going to the above park - a favourite haunt of mine - I almost invariably end up following a railway line that runs through the place, passing through various tunnels and cuttings as it does so. This time was no exception, and I was soon having a merry old time following my usual route through the park: sticking closely to the track, and occasionally even walking on it, while always keeping an eye and ear open for any sign of an approaching train. Rather disappointingly, though, there didn't seem to be any of the last things passing through the place that day, which I found odd given that I usually see at least a couple when I'm there. On occasion, I'd get my hopes up when I'd hear something in the distance that sounded like a train, but unfortunately, whatever I'd heard would invariably turn out to have been something else. As I was passing through a cutting, however, there finally came the unmistakable indication that something was coming along the tracks. The last things started vibrating, and the sound of something heavy travelling along them filled the air. To my alarm, I suddenly realized what a dangerous place I was in, the rocky sides of the cutting almost too steep to climb and very close to the track that passed between them. My alarm quickly giving way to sheer, heart-pounding terror, I started to run, my only thought to get out of the cutting before the train came. Thankfully, I soon found myself bursting out of the cutting...

...and emerging into the midst of a bunch of workmen working on the tracks (the vibrations and other noises I'd just heard had come from a truck they were using that had had train wheels fitted). Mortified, I smiled sheepishly at them, realizing what a sight I must be in my smock and wondering how much trouble I was going to be in for walking so close to the line. The foreman simply said, "You're all right", though, and allowed me to continue on my way. It didn't take me long to see the funny side of it all, and I figured that, if nothing else, I would have given all the workers something interesting to tell their family and friends that night! (I also got a bit of a buzz from imagining them all going, "What the [expletive] was that?" to one another once I'd gone!) I also lost all fear of being seen by anyone else the rest of the time I was there!

Teri Jean
12-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Sometimes the most amazing things happen while doing something alone. I'm sure there was some talk the rest of the day but then again there may have been a "sister" in the work gang that understood.

I had taken a nap one afternoon and was awaken by the doorbell to find a co-worker of mine doing some polling for the election cycle. I was dressed but without the wig and she was cool with it, but later she probably was saying to herself "what the h*** was that about?".

All one can say is Oooooops. Huggs Keli

paulaN
12-13-2008, 09:47 PM
I liked your story. It sounds like something that would happen to me. All I can say is go girl go.

docrobbysherry
12-13-2008, 10:06 PM
---in the words of the famous philosopher, Steven Allen; Shmock, shmock!:brolleyes:

Cassia-Marie
12-13-2008, 10:10 PM
That's got to be one of the funniest stories I've ever read. You're a very talented writer!

Marshchild
12-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Thanks to all the people who've offered feedback so far, particularly you, Cassia-Marie. As an aspiring writer who's toiling away at a novel (which is threatening to take as long to get done as Guns and Roses' Chinese Democracy!), it always gladdens my heart to get positive feedback about my writing. BTW, your name reminds of something else interesting I saw at the park that day: a very elaborate graffiti mural to someone called "Cassie" that someone had done just inside one of the railway tunnels.

Keli-H, yes, I suppose it's possible there may have been a "sister" in the work gang; you never know, do you? Now that I think about the whole incident, I can't help wondering if everyone who saw me decided I'd been nothing more than a collective hallucination! :heehee: One interesting thing I've found after years of public CDing, though, is that a lot of really tough, "manly" man can actually be quite cool about the whole shebang. Years ago, for example, I was at a pub with some friends when we found ourselves in the midst of an end-of-season celebration being held by some guys from a country football club. I was a bit nervous about this, dressed as I was in an outfit I've dubbed my "Seventeenth Century Pretty Boy" one (it's not strictly CDing get-up, but it's close) and even wearing makeup (as I believe was the fashion for men at that time), but everyone was really cool to me. One guy even asked me what my femme name was, and when I confessed I didn't have one, he slurred (being a bit tipsy by then), "Well you look really good anyway", which was very nice of him. Praise from unexpected sources is always the sort I remember most fondly.

I've also had the doorbell ring when I've been dressed in something flamboyant, and am usually in two minds about answering it when that happens. One time, I was wearing the same smock and chickened out of answering the door, though wondered later if I should have, just so I could have given the other person (some charity collector from the looks of it) something interesting to tell her friends that night (they love being able to do that, I'm sure)! Another time, I was still fluffing about in a long satin nightie and women's dressing gown when the same thing happened, and decided to answer the door on that occasion, mainly because it was a postie there that time and I couldn't be bothered going through the hassle of having to go to the post office later on and pick up whatever it was he'd come to deliver. He didn't react to my unusual appearance though, again, I'm sure he would've had something to say about it to his family, friends and workmates later on!

Oh, and I finally did get to see some trains pass through the place before I left (they must have been waiting for the workmen to finish for the day, particularly as they passed through the place within reasonably quick succession of each other). Thankfully, I was in a safe spot near the tracks when the first one came by, and experienced a delicious mix of excitement and trepidation as it approached, horn blaring, engine thundering with awesome power. My childhood might be well behind me by now, but the thrill of seeing a long, heavy goods train rumble past me is something I'll hopefully never outgrow!