PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in drab

paulaN
12-13-2008, 10:10 PM
I just took a trip to the city. I had to do some shopping. I thought I would mention to all of you sista's that this time of year you can shop for anything you like. I always do now a days because it does not matter to me what people think any more. But I know that there are a lot of you out there that feel differently about that. You see this time of year you can say it is a gift for someone. That means you can bye bras,perfume,panties, nitties that's always a good one. All you have to say is it's for the wife or what ever. You don't have to say anything unless asked. It is a good time of year to get used to bying things for your self. So get out there and get your self some stuff for Christmas. Go girl go.

Tracii G
12-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Went shopping in drab today too.Found a nice V collared sweater and a rose colored button up krinkle type blouse. When checking out the SA wow your wife will love these you have great taste for a guy.
I said I'm not married, she smiled and said "Oh these are for you?"
I told her yes.I'm sure she had to tell everybody a CDer came thru her line.:D

Kristen Marie
12-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Yeserday I hit Torrids, Lane Bryant, DOTS, Burlington Coat Factory and Payless.....all within 1 mile down in Attleboro....amazing. I was in guy mode, and while no one even looked at me funny, I did share with a few SAs that I was looking for myself.

But my most fun time came at DOTS. As I was leaving, I noticed some long scarves close to the door. As I began looking at them, I couldn't help thinking wat a nice accent they would make to some of my outfits. So...I pop my picture book out and start matching the scarves to my outfits. Well, a cute, young blonde sales associate came up and said...what a great idea...bringing pictures. She then started help me pick several scarves, and while that was great, she mentioned several times how pretty the girl in the pictures was. Well....after about 3-4 comments like that, it opened up the door to tell her it was me. We then spent about 10 minutes talking about Vegas (where some of the shots were from), getting out when I travel, upcoming sales, etc. We had a blast. It makes shopping sooo much more fun when you can share it with someone.

tamarav
12-13-2008, 11:06 PM
You are right! Every store is wide open and begging for the drab bunch to stop in and pick up something for the little woman in the family. Little do they know...

Teri Jean
12-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Being from the northern portion of the country it's cold out and today I did some shopping in drab but with 40D forms under my chothes and hit the femate department with no problems. I felt feminine and yet did not draw attention to myself. Have fun shopping and Paula you are right, shop til you drop. Keli

ShannonDragon
12-14-2008, 09:34 AM
T'was at Dress Barn in drab and found two dresses. As I was walking toward the back where the checkout is, the sales associate who greeted me at the door said, "Ready to check out or try on?" :tongueout

Phyliss
12-14-2008, 10:17 AM
T'was at Dress Barn in drab and found two dresses. As I was walking toward the back where the checkout is, the sales associate who greeted me at the door said, "Ready to check out or try on?" :tongueout

That's what I love about Dress Barn ...everytime I go in there the S.A. s almost want to stuff me in the dressing room and pass things at me, just knowing I'll buy something, if only to escape. Loads of fun

Deidra Cowen
12-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Sometimes it just takes a hook to hang that confidence upon like you hit on. I kinda have something simular to what you went thru.....back when I was married and did not dress. I used to shop for my wife. For example get her an outfit for a christmas present.

I really did not think twice about it and just confidently would grab an associate and get something picked out. One year I got my wife this totally fab outfit from the Limited for Christmas. At a New Years party everyone was complimenting her on the outfit. She told a group of people I had picked it out and gotten it for her! Which I actually later said she should stay mum about! :devil:

Anyway fast forward to about 3 years ago when I first started dressing & shopping. I was ackward and embarrashed...even did my first shopping way out of town while on a buis trip so I would not be spotted. (wrote about here back then!)

Anyway its all in our mind, but you can get that confidence going. I will admit however I really like to shop in fem mode much more than guy mode. Just feel more secure and confident that way. Sure the associates know I am a CD but hopefully they see I try to look classy and dress with some amount of good taste! Therefore most da time I get treated very well by the sales people at the stores....oh well ok I admit it...helps to be in a huge liberal city too...I am lucky I ended up in Atlanta.

Billijo49504
12-14-2008, 12:38 PM
yesterday I went to Younkers and bought 2 navy bkue bras and some panties to match. That was about 2 o'clock in the afternoon. The only thing the SA was concerned about was if my $50 real.

Carole Cross
12-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Today I bought a red and black basque with matching panties but initially got the wrong size. When I took it back to exchange it, I think the SA realised it was probably for me. She didn't say anything but just gave what I would call a knowing smile.
I did post a picture on my thread but it was removed by the moderators so if you want to see it it's on this link http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/product/images/B001EHUZBM/ref=dp_product-image/277-8054089-9919231?ie=UTF8&m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&n=42966030&mnSBrand=coreon

TommiTN
12-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I went up to Franklin, TN last week to do some shopping for the little woman :heehee:. Stopped in Kohl's off McEwen and I-65 and bought a cute pink floral print flannel nightie and matching terry cloth robe (TN winters are so cold for a TX gal). Then I went to the Wally World next door and got a pair of pink fuzzy flip flops; Kohls didn't have any slippers in my size. Tomorrow I'm shopping for a nice winter jacket and some leggings and maybe a tight sweater or two. I just love being a girl!

paulaN
12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Kristen, I love your photo idea. You're so smart.
And come on girls, I want to here some first time stories. Ya know the ones where you have to get up the b***s to bye girls stuff. We have all been there. Go girls go.

Rachel Morley
12-14-2008, 04:36 PM
I thought I would mention to all of you sista's that this time of year you can shop for anything you like.
Indeed! .. this time of year is awesome for shy CDers who want to buy womens clothes in boy mode. Everyone thinks your buying Christmas presents!

vikki2020
12-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Yes, I'm sure we were all nervous buying anything in drab at first.Funny how that feels now!I don't have any problem just browsing the stores on my lunch break,trying on something,checking make-up sales.So yes,use the Holiday as a nice excuse, and see how easy it is!Watch the other shoppers---NO-ONE cares!!:heehee:

Daphne
12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
You are right! Every store is wide open and begging for the drab bunch to stop in and pick up something for the little woman in the family. Little do they know...

If they only knew??? Maybe they do :devil:

Tracii G
12-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Went back to Kohl's I was in yesterday(in drab) today enfemme wearing the sweater I bought yesterday.Bought a few other jewlery items and a pair of jeans and the check out girl said I saw you come in and wasn't sure it was you.Gosh you look so nice as a woman I wish I looked that good.
I was stunned at the compliment and blushed on the spot.
She asked if I was in a hurry and that she was going on break and wanted to talk to me for a minute.
We stepped out side and she was full of questions like what makeup did I like and where I got the wig etc.She was very interested in transgender issues because she was new to a lesbian relationship.
I invited her to the TG support group meeting in Jan.
She didn't know there were groups in the area and said she and her GF would love to attened.
Funny how things just happen.I hope I was a bright spot in her day.

skirt_guy
12-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Wife got a new job in an office and needed a bunch of new clothes. I was going nuts looking through the racks with her. Spyed a cool wool skirt and strategically put it on the rack near the dressing room. She took about 15 outfits into the room (Belk) to try on and since they are individual rooms I went back with her. I was in charge of taking her rejects out and hanging them elsewhere. On one of my trips I took my skirt and sliped it on in one of the other dressing booths, of course I had on black hose underneath and it looked good with my black ropers. She was calling my name wondering where I was and I opened the door and she smiled and then got serious like "what if someone walks in" kinda thing. I wanted to walk out and keep the skirt on (it was a nice knee length dark wool) but respected her thoughts. Shopping is fun!!

CD Susan
12-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Yes Christmas is a good time for the shy cd'r to go shopping for fem things. Valentines Day and Mothers Day are good times too for shopping for these items. Actually there really is no need to be so concerned about this. I have been buying womens clothes for the past 40 years and have grown accustomed to doing this. Our money is just as good as anyone elses and the sa's in the stores know this and have seen it all before. I have found that it is a rare occasion to have an sa comment on my purchase.

crossdrezzer1
01-01-2009, 03:33 AM
my exuse was for my wife and it was always true but always got a little extra for me,, well after making friends here online i was told a cd friendly store here in maine and went down and did some shopping,,all female store and i was a guy in it,,when they asked for her size i told them,,,wow---still cant believe i did that,,,well anyways they helped me and wasnt a big thing,,just doing there job finding what a customer liked and size,,then i asked about the try on policy and that wasnt a big deal also and she opened a room and the try on was just that but what a rush doing it,,i ended up buying 2 dresses and they welcomed me back,,, sure cant wait to get there again,,

linnea
01-01-2009, 01:27 PM
This is also a great time of year to shop--drab or en femme--for bargains. The sales are wonderful!

JoAnne Wheeler
01-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Wonderful time to shop in drab - however I have shopped so much in the same department stores that all the SA know me by sight in drab mode
JoAnne Wheeler

Nikki A.
01-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Went to Dress Barn and looked at the tops(in drab). Finally asked the SA if I could try them on for size, no problem, she even suggested the smaller size. At checkout she even offered if I wanted my own card. Right now they don't care who buys, they want and need the business.

Sandra Dunn
01-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Not only do I shop in butch mode, I try them on while in butch mode.

Sandra

Marjory
01-01-2009, 11:09 PM
I don't think the stores care much who you're buying things for anymore as long as you buy. Nordstrom's is having a sale tomorrow I hope to get there.

SallyJ
01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
I've never had a negative experience while shopping in drab ....over many years.
Very few notice and if they do, I usually get a smile. SA's I find are very helpful if you let them know its for you and many times ask if you would like to try things on.
The only issue, more an inconvenience, I've had lately was when an very young SA at the Bay (a large Canadian dept store chain) said I would have to try the items on in a mens fitting room upstairs. This despite, at another branch of this store, an SA insisted I try on, in the nearby ladies fitting room, a pair of ladies pants and top I was trying to match.
Had a funny experience before xmas at Laura's (a high end Canadian ladies dept store chain) when buying xmas gifts for my wife. The SA, an older well dressed lady, mentioned several times that she loved my "shirt" even asking were I bought it. It was a very colorful silk blouse with gold threads etc. After finishing shopping for my wife, I said that I wanted to buy some pants for me. She said "but we only carry ladies cloths". I replied "thats OK ,thats all I wear". She was startled but only for a moment. The funny part was besides the blouse, I was also had on my bra and forms, low heels, silky pants, earings, make-up and a ponytail!! When I left, she and the other staff at the cash all gave me a big smile and a merry xmas. BTW Laura's may be a bit pricey (look for sale items) but has great cloths and is CD friendly, even for those in drab!!

Thanks to all here, and at the old CDDF board, I long ago got over any fears of shopping in drab. It is now one of my most enjoyable pastimes.!

Petra Bellejambes
01-03-2009, 03:10 PM
A little snippet repeated here...

"Thanks to all here, and at the old CDDF board, I long ago got over any fears of shopping in drab. It is now one of my most enjoyable pastimes.".

Its a terrific way to work out your femme self when you simply do not have the time or the opportunity to dress and venture out. True, you won't be given the keys to the fitting room, but thats not a game killer.

If you live you live in a large enough town that random "exposure" is not a problem, I fully encourage everyone to look the SA in the eye and say, "no actually, its for me..." and then smile.

My responses have been uniformly good. The odds are they have served CD/TG's before. They have chatted about the last customer who they knew was really shopping for himself.

The honesty would be refreshing, and in a lot of cases, so would the fashion challenge. Give it a chance!

Janet Bern
01-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Not a problem at all. I just needed a new mascara tube and went to the Macys counter (Clinique) and asked the woman to help me pick a type out that gave me thicker eyelashes. Had a great conversation and also went over the makeup application steps. No Problem at all. So its really not a big deal buying womans things for ourselves no matter what store we are in or what we are purchasing.
Janet