PDA

View Full Version : The silver CDer

Marshchild
12-15-2008, 07:10 AM
I've just been reading a couple of threads dealing with the colour pink, and the somewhat contentious issue of whether this has become an "acceptable" colour for boys and men to wear (or if there's still a taboo against it), and have reflected that, while I certainly love this colour myself, it's not my favourite "femme" one. Instead, that honour goes to silver, a colour that arguably got me into CDing in the first place. How my nigh-on lifelong love of it started, I do not know, although a great deal of childhood exposure to science-fiction probably played a significant part. In particular, I blame Doctor Who - one of my favourite stories on that show remains a Colin Baker one called The Two Doctors that first screened (and which I first saw) during the mid-1980s. One of the reasons I liked that story so much was that its cast included one of my favourite Doctor Who villains: a woman called Chessene. Not only was she beautiful, smart and dangerous, she also spent the story in a silver dress I would've committed the most heinous of crimes for. Being still somewhat in denial about my CDing back then, I'd imagine myself in a "male" version of that dress, although my denial would last only another couple of years. I remember the day it actually died: I was walking past a boutique in my neighbourhood when I saw in its windows a positively gorgeous silver dress to which had been attached a bunch of strips of some translucent fabric dotted with white polka dots. If I saw it again now, I might think it was all very tacky (this is '80s fashion we're talking about, after all!), but at the time, I'd never seen anything more beautiful, and I thought, "Screw wearing only guys' clothing in silver [not that there was terribly much of that to be found anyway], I want the freedom to wear something like that!"

As is often the case when a boy shows an interest in pink, my love of silver did not go down that well with my parents: well, not my father at least. The year before, my mother had actually offered to make me a silver shirt for my birthday (my 14th), only to have my father torpedo the plan at the last minute with a claim of "No son of mine's going to be going about dressed like a poofter!" (or words to that effect)*. As a (very crappy) form of compensation, those presents I did end up getting were wrapped in silver paper: a gesture that mollified me sufficiently at the time to have me keeping that paper after I'd removed it. A few months later, however, I realized what a patronizing - nay, insulting - gesture it had been, so burnt the paper in a delightful fit of rage and temporary madness one night (a fit that also had me destroying half the other presents I'd received - God, that felt good!).

Of course, my father's attempts to rid me of my love of silver failed abysmally (as did my mother's later efforts to persuade me that the colour really was for girls only), for, after black, it's probably the predominant colour in my wardrobe. I've got silver shirts, blouses, smocks, T-shirts, skirts, pants, jackets, pyjamas, gloves and dresses, as well as a silver raincoat, pair of silver knickers, and even a silver hairdressers' cape! And it's not going to stop there either. There're a couple of other garments I'm going to have made in the colour in the New Year, and I went to buy the fabric for them today. As the sales girl was measuring it out, I was reminded yet again why I love the colour so much - spread out on the counter, shimmering under the lights, the material I was getting looked like so much mercury. Beautiful!

Is silver anyone else's favourite colour here (and if so, are you quite as dotty about it as I am)? Also, does anyone have any idea why it's regarded so widely as a "girl's colour"? Given its long association with the Space Age, futuristic technology, and the like, you'd think it'd be more of a "boy's colour", wouldn't you? After all, there's no denying that, even if they'd never wear it, many guys love their hi-tech toys to be that colour.

*In all fairness to my father, his attitude’s changed a lot since then. (His work used to have him living apart from us for most of the year back then, which may have been responsible in large part for his hostility towards the idea of me wearing silver clothes - maybe he was worried his absence from my life was making me turn "effeminate".) I received a particularly striking demonstration of this nearly a decade after the "birthday incident", when I was about to head off on a long bike ride that'd probably have me returning home after dark. At the time, I had a silver jacket (and a ladies' one at that) that I often used to wear while riding, and he asked me if I was taking it with me. I said I wasn't, only to have him respond that I'd better; it'd help me be seen better in the dark.

deja true
12-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Well, me likey silver, too....but maybe not so much as you, hun!

My real fave is black...but most of my accessories are silver!

Does that count?
:)

(Then of course, there's those silver centrums I take every morning!)

Violetgray
12-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Hang on a minute.. the hairdressers in Australia wear capes?

But yeah.. Purple, Black and Silver.. those are my three! :-)

Marshchild
12-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Well, me likey silver, too....but maybe not so much as you, hun!

My real fave is black...but most of my accessories are silver!

Does that count?

Mmmm, mebbe. Whaddya got? (I've got a silver handbag, come to think of it - that's one I forgot to mention!)

Hang on a minute.. the hairdressers in Australia wear capes?

But yeah.. Purple, Black and Silver.. those are my three! :-)

No, that's just a name we use in this part of the world for the things that get put around the customer to keep hair off their clothes. (Unless, you were just foolin' with your question.)

Re the colours you mentioned, I quite like purple too, although I don't have nearly as many things in it as I do silver or black!

gennee
12-15-2008, 08:19 PM
I've never considered silver as a girls color. Actually it's neutral and can be worn with any color. I don't have any silver but now you tempted me to buy something. Pink is my femme color which I wear in the summertime.

Gennee

PamelaTX
12-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Silver is pretty cool. I sorta thought that when the year 2000 rolled around, everybody would switch to wearing silver jump-suits like in the sci-fi movies. No such luck though. No flying cars either.

My favorite colors are black, followed by white. I guess that's from having the math gene.

Marshchild
12-16-2008, 06:43 AM
I've never considered silver as a girls color. Actually it's neutral and can be worn with any color.

Yes, I've discovered that myself.

I don't have any silver but now you tempted me to buy something.

Glad to know I can be a corrupting influence! :heehee:

Pink is my femme color which I wear in the summertime.

Yes, I wear a bit of that myself, as well as any other bright colour - stuff like that really goes with the season.

Gennee

Silver is pretty cool. I sorta thought that when the year 2000 rolled around, everybody would switch to wearing silver jump-suits like in the sci-fi movies. No such luck though. No flying cars either.

My favorite colors are black, followed by white. I guess that's from having the math gene.

On the upside, we're not ingesting all our food in the form of little pills, as we were supposed to be doing by now as well. Really, though, I can't imagine something like that ever catching on. For all its comparative messiness, eating food the way we've always done has too many pleasurable aspects to it for us to ever give it up. Just for starters, can you imagine people having dinner parties where everyone gets together just to down a handful of pills?

On the subject of failed predictions about the future, I remember hearing lots of fanciful speculation about how the 1990s were going to be as well. Somehow, though, all the predictions for that decade seemed to be very pessimistic, positively dystopian in fact. We were either going to be closer to nuclear war than we'd ever been before, or all living in some global totalitarian state, it seemed. All rather frightening stuff for someone growing up in the '80s!