PDA

View Full Version : Breast cancer risk taking hormones?

Laura Evans
12-15-2008, 09:50 PM
I have been contemplating taking hormones for breast development but I have one major concern. Both women in my life, my mother and sister, have died due to breast cancer. None of the men in my family contracted cancer. My concern is if I start taking hormones would I increase my chances of developing breast cancer? Has anyone come across this, or have personal experience?

Karren H
12-15-2008, 09:56 PM
It's well documented but maybe not well understood...

http://www.medicinenet.com/male_breast_cancer/page2.htm

Hyperestrogenism (high levels of estrogen)

Men normally produce small amounts of the female hormone estrogen, but certain conditions result in abnormally high levels of estrogen in men. The term gynecomastia refers to the condition in which the male breasts become abnormally enlarged in response to elevated levels of estrogen. High levels of estrogens also can increase the risk for development of male breast cancer. The majority of breast cancers in men are estrogen receptor-positive (meaning that they grow in response to stimulation with estrogen). Two conditions in which men have abnormally high levels of estrogen that are commonly associated with breast enlargement are Klinefelter's syndrome and cirrhosis of the liver. Obesity is also associated with elevated estrogen levels and breast enlargement in men.

There are cancer warining labels all over the jar of progestrone cream I have used in the past....

Laura Evans
12-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Karen, your describing pathologies but I was wondering if their are cases of healthy men taking hormones and an increase risk for CA?

Anna the Dub
12-16-2008, 04:33 AM
There are risks with everything in life, you just have to weigh the risks against the benefits. I have been on hormones for over 10 years now, and my endo has said that when I reach 50 (in 4 years time), I will have to have regular mammograms. As I have had an orchidectomy, I am no longer producing testosterone of any great quantity (negligible according to my last blood test), which means my body is not beset by the typical male middle age ailments, like male increase of heart disease, prostate, etc. and I have been told that my life expectancy is now a typical woman's life expectancy and I will have to have some level of hormones for the rest of my life to prevent osteoporosis. It's all a matter of choice, if I hadn't gone onto hormones I am sure I would be a lot unhealthier, deeply depressed and at increased risk of heart disease from testosterone and the stress of being in the closet. A slightly (according to my endo) increased risk of breast cancer is a risk you have to consider whether you are prepared to take.

Laura Evans
12-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Anna, I appreciate your comment. Living is a risk. My concern is that I have a higher risk due to family history. I don't plan on blocking testorone so I expect that to protect me some. Again, thanks.